25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

SkyeCaptain wrote:Sleet I want to give out to you for that pun but I'm laughing too hard.

I mean...just wow.
Bad puns are my specialty. You're welcome.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

I'm not shocked at how many furries we have.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

=^^= im a wolf furrie ... WUF 0-0.... -rols over- :mrgreen:
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

I would consider myself a casual furry I guess. I don't really have my own fursona, though my profile pic is very close to what it would be. I keep it to myself unless someone else brings up the topic. A lot of people have a misconstrued view of what a furry is so I don't talk about it to people that I know are going to be immature towards it. I know I shouldn't really care about other people's opinions (and I really don't) but I don't want to hear their uneducated responses.
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

some people will not understand what furries are some think there just perves but thats not true and the ones who are are the ones who are giving the rest of us bad names and thats why most people dont tell ... even there own perents because thay are scard of bieng judged and the ones who arent the perve furries are the ones setting an example for the rest furries are people who are fan of anthromorphics and thats all it should stay
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I've noticed that the stereotype is less popular recently. I blame bronies, personally, for making hating on furries less trendy.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Sleet wrote:I've noticed that the stereotype is less popular recently. I blame bronies, personally, for making hating on furries less trendy.
Still, there's always that one person or group that ruins it for most. Though I've yet to meet a furry that I didn't or haven't gotten along with.
I don't ever remember someone telling me they got hurt from doing something smart -Myself
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Just a thought, how many of you furries out there know other furries in the real world and not just online? I don't think I know any, or if I do then I don't know it...
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

I know for sure a guy I was friends with in high school is a furry. But I found out via him posting stuff on facebook and he's out in California now. He's a lot more open about it than I care to be so ive never talked to him about it.
I also met one of my old forum friends Agent Sandwich this summer when I was in London.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
KalloonWhite

Post by KalloonWhite »

I know I've known furries, I just never make it a habit of asking, so I only think I know I've known furries.

...I think. :lol:
marmalade & sugar song, peanuts & bitter step, It's sweet and bitter and leaves me feeling faint
Argent

Post by Argent »

Are you saying people I know online aren't real?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

No, what I mean is have you met them face to face rather than on the other side of a computer screen.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Hlaoroo wrote:No, what I mean is have you met them face to face rather than on the other side of a computer screen.
What if you had a webcam? I kid, I kid... I think I've known a few myself but none of them would admit it. Maybe they're self conscious or something.
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

i once met another furrie online and we talked for awhile and i was wondering why we got along so well and eventually i just got to the question ...have you ever thought of dressing as that pokemon and he said yes but he was kinda uncomftorble about it at first and eventualy i just asked him if he knew what furries wer and he finally said yes im a lucario furrie but its asking little questions like that is how you can slowlie ask if that person is a furrie make sure that thay can trust you and that thay know you wont make fun of them for it or tell anyone and droping small hints your a furrie to and maybe he will ask you and that lucario furrie i was the first person he ever told this to even on the internet
AstroOtter

Post by AstroOtter »

I went to a furry convention (Further Confusion) in Northern California several years ago. I have to say, I felt out of place.
Some furry art is really excellent and all, but the whole fursuit scene is a step beyond.
Obviously every fandom has a range of interest.
Creature of chaos with long slender body, heavy tail, and clever hands. I am to water as a dragon is to fire. And I'm adorable.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

True enough. At first, I was a little apprehensive about the whole fursuit thing, because it just seemed.... wrong. But after reading about a fursuiter named dogbomb and knowing TychoAussie, I now think fursuiting is cool, given that you are able to afford the price tag, and your fursuit is of high quality and doesn't look TOO cartoony.

In all honesty, I'd imagine if furry friends who are separated by the computer screen were to meet, it'd be less of a new thrill and more of a normal person-to-person encounter. My younger brother, who is more of a furry than I am (and who got me into the whole fandom in the first place), told me that he had met several of his furry friends in the Facebook group he is an administrator of, and they just turned out to be regular people. Having the same interest in anthropomorphic animals just serve as an early catalyst to forge a more real and physical (...not in THAT sense) friendship, that to me is more everlasting.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

i have tried ways to meet that other lucario furrie but he lives in a different state than me one hes onely like 200 miles away from me but still i still talk to him every other day :3 and roleplay sometimes to
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

Hlaoroo wrote:Just a thought, how many of you furries out there know other furries in the real world and not just online?
A friend of mine uses a furry cat as her avatar, but maybe that's just a coincidence.

Also, I know I'm a casual furry(don't have a fursona and I don't plan on getting one), but I act more human than anything. Is this normal(or am I over-thinking this?)?
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Argent

Post by Argent »

I've been a very virtual person since I left college in 1980: I got online on what was not yet the Internet to stay in touch with my old gaming group. I met my wife online. Most of my friends are online. I've got work and jobs through people I know online. It's kind of annoying to be told that most of my friends are somehow not "real".
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I never meant to imply that, Argent. They are certainly real. What I wanted to know was whether people have met their online furry friends (or other furry friends) in a non-virtual setting. "Real world" was probably not the best phrase to use.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

On a different subject (probably worthy of a separate thread)
- I met my first girlfriend online in 1984, on a message board hosted on a DEC PDP-11.

- I once arranged a date with a girl in Canberra, Australia who was in the Royal Australian Navy and ran communications as a telex operator. We met through the telex, made our date through the telex machine and never saw one another face to face until I showed up at the navy base. Pauline was four-foot eleven with a six-foot one personality.

- I met my wife through friends that I knew from my computer hobby. She went to college with them, and was a friend of my two best friends. As we all did stuff together, we ended up dating, and got married 21 years ago.

- Many of my good friends are internet friends that I call on the phone semi-regularly. We've gotten together over the years for various Camaro/Firebird events and most of us meet once a year in Memphis or Indianapolis for three days, rent a race track, and go racing. Once, we were mailing list friends, then IRC chat friends, and then car forum friends, but now we're facebook friends. Sadly, life has kept me away from those events 15 of the last 17 times. I'm going to fix that when my kids are on their own and I'm no longer swamped with college.

So, yeah - those virtual friendships are pretty much distilled friendships but real nonetheless. Sometimes they are even more so, especially when it's a once per year face-to-face. MY gosh, the two times I've been to the NFME event to be with those friends, those two times rate in the top ten most fun times of my entire LIFE ! Every blessed, cherished minute of it.
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

TinFoilHats wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:Just a thought, how many of you furries out there know other furries in the real world and not just online?
A friend of mine uses a furry cat as her avatar, but maybe that's just a coincidence.

Also, I know I'm a casual furry(don't have a fursona and I don't plan on getting one), but I act more human than anything. Is this normal(or am I over-thinking this?)?
Going a little further than you need to I think. I wouldn't say that you have to act a certain way to be a furry; more like you're a little more carefree and whatnot. As for the fursonas, well everyone has their story, what's yours?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

The definition of "furry" we've always applied here is "one whose enjoyment of media is enhanced by the presence of anthropomorphic animal characters."

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Personally I've always put more stock into my real life friend than my online ones. I see the internet as a cool way to persue my more niche interests but until I meet someone and can put a face, name, and voice together it just doesn't feel like an incredibly strong connection. But when you do get to do that its pretty awesome.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

BassGroove wrote:Going a little further than you need to I think. I wouldn't say that you have to act a certain way to be a furry; more like you're a little more carefree and whatnot. As for the fursonas, well everyone has their story, what's yours?
Was that last sentence directed at me or someone else(sorry, my brain isn't operating at full capacity at the moment)?
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

TinFoilHats wrote:
BassGroove wrote:Going a little further than you need to I think. I wouldn't say that you have to act a certain way to be a furry; more like you're a little more carefree and whatnot. As for the fursonas, well everyone has their story, what's yours?
Was that last sentence directed at me or someone else(sorry, my brain isn't operating at full capacity at the moment)?
Description of a fursona (or at least what I thought it was)
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

Dissension wrote:The definition of "furry" we've always applied here is "one whose enjoyment of media is enhanced by the presence of anthropomorphic animal characters."
i like that i also like your new profile :mrgreen:↑ btw i was at the store today and one of the people working there was wearing something that was kinda like a cat collor with a bell on it i dont see that very often but seeing it made my day :з
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

matthew Wolf wrote:i like that i also like your new profile :mrgreen:↑ btw i was at the store today and one of the people working there was wearing something that was kinda like a cat collor with a bell on it i dont see that very often but seeing it made my day :з

I saw a girl wearing tail a few weeks ago. Actually can you wear a tail? I don't know, but I did want to go and talk to her, but my brother was with me so. First time I actually saw something like that other then youtube vids.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

A lot of people wear tails. Sleet and The Hausphox both do. They've also been incorporated into the wardrobe on Glee.

matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

i wanted to ask about the cat coller to but my mom was with me :| my stepmom went to gen con and took a picture of somebody wearing a fox tail i think you attach it to your belt or something
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I have a small one you can clip to a belt loop (assuming you're wearing pants), and a large one that you can attach to a belt.
Dissension wrote:A lot of people wear tails. Sleet and The Hausphox both do. They've also been incorporated into the wardrobe on Glee.
Really? On Glee? Pictures!
BassGroove

Post by BassGroove »

Dissension wrote:A lot of people wear tails. Sleet and The Hausphox both do. They've also been incorporated into the wardrobe on Glee.
I see a lot of people that wear tails up at our state amusement park. Not sure of the intention (furry or otherwise) but I see them.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I've actually never seen them. I don't know how common furries are here in Australia...
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

i havent seen many furries in indianapolis either
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sleet wrote:I have a small one you can clip to a belt loop (assuming you're wearing pants), and a large one that you can attach to a belt.
Really? On Glee? Pictures!
[Well], [I] [suppose]...

matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

:mrgreen: wowzers thats awesome possum X3 I WANT 1
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

He wears it on the side though. Sorry Diss, your boyfriend isn't a real furry. :P
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Sleet wrote:He wears it on the side though. Sorry Diss, your boyfriend isn't a real furry. :P
Looks like a giant sympathizer, though.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

matthew Wolf wrote:i havent seen many furries in indianapolis either
Then you're not looking in the right places. They have their own convention. (Indy Fur Con)
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

Kitch wrote:
matthew Wolf wrote:i havent seen many furries in indianapolis either
Then you're not looking in the right places. They have their own convention. (Indy Fur Con)
0-0 thay do i live really close to downtown and i never see any