25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by Sleet »

I'm not sure this is a topic we should stay on.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
hyperfox

Post by hyperfox »

anyone a fan of Lion King? that started me being a furry. :)
I don't know why I'm so hyper sometimes.....maybe its because I'm surrounded by awesome people. ^_^
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Furry, eh? I don't feel like I'm as furry as a few years ago. I need more inspiration.
Seth
Moshpit Addict

Post by Seth »

Nah man. Furry-lite is where it's at.
I think in Non-sequiturs

"I told you not to put metal in the science oven! What'd you do that for?"

Trash boiz
Duster

Post by Duster »

Kitela wrote:Furry, eh? I don't feel like I'm as furry as a few years ago. I need more inspiration.
Furry is as furry does.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

hyperfox wrote:anyone a fan of Lion King? that started me being a furry. :)
I do love The Lion King but there are other furry creatures in furry films which I like more.

Reepicheep, anyone?
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

hyperfox wrote:anyone a fan of Lion King? that started me being a furry. :)
The Lion King is one of the influences from my childhood that helped make me a furry!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

Unfortunately my literature class had to do a Freudian critical lens analysis of the Lion King and forever ruined it's innocence.
Image I started out with nothing and I still have most of it left.
Rico

Post by Rico »

I think for me it goes back a bit further with Br'er Rabit and Br'er Fox books, and when I was a bit older Disney's Robin Hood. Lion King is definitely near the top in my list of influential films though!
Arbitrary wrote:Unfortunately my literature class had to do a Freudian critical lens analysis of the Lion King and forever ruined it's innocence.
I'm interested, but at the same time I'd like to hold on to what innocence I have left!
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

I actually didn't see Robin Hood until recently. I think childrens TV shows featuring animals like Blinky Bill, Alvin and the Chipmunks, Rupert, and Tabaluga were bigger influences on me.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Kitela

Post by Kitela »

Arbitrary wrote:Unfortunately my literature class had to do a Freudian critical lens analysis of the Lion King and forever ruined it's innocence.
All one needs to do is watch the movie to begin asking questions. It's still a good movie.

The Fox and the Hound, Robin Hood, many other TV shows and movies, my interest in psychology, and freedom of expression were my influences to considering myself as a furry.
Also, possibly my moms interest in animated movies may have been passed down.

I haven't watched a animated movie in so long, though. Aside from watching half of The Lion King a few weeks ago.
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Just remember Freud was a Victorian madman and was obsessed with all the weird lewd stuff.
In short, he liked to assume. I really disliked having to do his theory in Psychology, but sadly it was necessary. :|
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

Yeah, The Lion King, Robin Hood, The Aristocats. All those classic Disney films definitely had an effect.

Other stuff as well like The Animals Of Farthing Wood. Man, I loved that series.
Being good pays off. There's a nice view up here on moral high-ground.
Rollofthedice

Post by Rollofthedice »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Just remember Freud was a Victorian madman and was obsessed with all the weird lewd stuff.
In short, he liked to assume. I really disliked having to do his theory in Psychology, but sadly it was necessary. :|
Sure, Freud was crazy, but his work influenced a whole ton of later psychologists and psychiatrists, and really hammers home the fact that people can think up of literally anything to explain their problems. Also, he helped make some topics that were taboo in his time period (I'm sure we all know which ones) much more allowable in open discourse.

To get a bit back on topic: My non-furriness has not changed since when I last posted here about a year ago, though I do think The Lion King is a good movie.
Reminiscence: A Tale of Dreams - Complete
An Experiment - Ongoing: Story 2, 'The Babylon Incident', in progress!
Tired/Eternity/Broadsides: 'I did not have literary relations with those fanfics'

Radio Blue Heart

Post by Radio Blue Heart »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Just remember Freud was a Victorian madman and was obsessed with all the weird lewd stuff.
True! For the most part Freud's theories have been abandoned by modern psychology. Most modern work is based on the work's of Jung and Adler. Freud is just more famous for some strange reason. Most psychologist look at Freud's work the way that archaeologist look at Schliemann: You learn from all his horrible, horrible mistakes.

I really wonder how many furries were created as a result of Disney films.

Like most things in life, it is just fine unless you get too deep into it. I actually have funny anecdote about that.

I used to hang around the forum for the comic "Freefall", but I gave up on it because the people there can be really vicious. The forum moderators made no attempts at maintaining civility that they do here. One of the forum members is the artist behind the web comic "Cross Time Cafe", Scudder Kidwell, aka White Pony, who had a unicorn as his fursona. As a joke I posted the "Regular Show" episode "The Unicorns Have Got To Go" on the forum. This episode features a group of hooligan unicorns that cause trouble and act like a street gang or an out of control fraternity.

Kidwell was sooooo offended by the way the show presented the unicorn characters and went on a tirade about it. After he finished his rant, he forbid anyone to watch the show, brutally criticize the whole thing and then berated me for ever posting it and for thinking it was funny.

Of course I was highly amused by the whole thing!
Last edited by Radio Blue Heart on Wed Jul 10, 2013 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"I have known hardship and learned to aid the wretched."
-Virgil
Argent

Post by Argent »

Radio Blue Heart wrote: I used to hang around the forum for the comic "Freefall", but I gave up on it because the people there can be really viscous.
If you warm them up that will reduce their viscosity and make them easier to pour.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Radio Blue Heart

Argent wrote:
Radio Blue Heart wrote: I used to hang around the forum for the comic "Freefall", but I gave up on it because the people there can be really viscous.
If you warm them up that will reduce their viscosity and make them easier to pour.
Typo corrected. They also engaged in a lot of sarcasm and made you suffer for the slightest mistake.
-Virgil
TinFoilHats

Post by TinFoilHats »

SkyeCaptain wrote:Other stuff as well like The Animals Of Farthing Wood. Man, I loved that series.
Although I haven't seen the original series, I've seen a preview of it on a movie we had(which I don't remember what it was since I was maybe six when I watched it).
I AM RUBBER, YOU ARE GLUE!!!!
Argent

Post by Argent »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:
Argent wrote:
Typo corrected. They also engaged in a lot of sarcasm and made you suffer for the slightest mistake.
I wouldn't have said anything, but you sounded like you could take a joke! :mrgreen:
Radio Blue Heart

You're so funny, Argent! How did "Hee-Haw" ever let you go? :D :D :D
-Virgil
Argent

Post by Argent »

Radio Blue Heart wrote:You're so funny, Argent! How did "Hee-Haw" ever let you go? :D :D :D
It's easier to pick handcuffs than you'd think.
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

The internet is what you can call a "pure environment" (ironic name, I know), a sort of petri dish composed of information. Its content is shaped by those who interface with it and provide it with information. Especially now, with it's speed and unprecedented levels of connectivity and interactivity; it has become a point in which part of your mind or personality can spill over into the net. This is nice, but then there is a level of anonymity coupled with it. While anonymity is useful in some cases, others abuse it to put people down, people just as equally anonymous. A lot of the time people say things on the internet that no sane person would say in person, barriers and safegaurds against getting socked in the face usually prevent inflammatory behavior. On the web, you could be the worst version of yourself, and get away with it because nobody can punch you over the internet (not yet, anyway).

This is sorta falling apart to the point that you may think I am advocating bodily harm as a means to curb inflammatory behavior. But I am not, it is loss of face (pardon the pun) that prevents people from acting in a way that prevents others from liking them. Getting back on topic, it is this sort of connected-ness that allows such a community like Housepets! or the furry fandom in general to exist! Aside from cons or the occasional friend, interacting with fellow community members around the globe would be difficult without this networking. Many wouldn't even have known that such a community existed.

So such a fandom, or however you define it, is the collective acknowledgement by all involved, it practically knew its way into existence. And as such, solidified in the minds of all who identify with it and transmuted into a meme. (not lolcat memes, this sort of meme) Being a furry, however you define it, is an idea that lives in you and is a personal concept that many people here share. What keeps this community strong is the desire for community, the cohesiveness we all try to foster is born out of our desire to make others happy.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

That is a shockingly good summary. *golf claps*
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

Sleet wrote:That is a shockingly good summary. *golf claps*
Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all... definitely longer than a week.
metaecho

Post by metaecho »

Theses are some of the most meaningful and thought-provoking posts
I've read on the fourm. Best comunity I've ever know as well.. so decent
and kind!
Just a smidgen more proud to be a furry now. :D
HELLO THERE
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Arbitrary wrote:
Sleet wrote:That is a shockingly good summary. *golf claps*
Thank you, thank you! I'll be here all... definitely longer than a week.
You better be! *henhouse shotgun*
hyperfox

Post by hyperfox »

Glad that you would be here for a while *sees Sleet holding shotgun* :o
Its the best of the best communities here ever....I...I mean in the universe! :lol:
I don't know why I'm so hyper sometimes.....maybe its because I'm surrounded by awesome people. ^_^
Kitela

Post by Kitela »

The forum is amazing, great people, and a stable, friendly community.. Even if the mods are holding everyone hostage. *smiles nervously and thinks of way to escape*
metaecho wrote:Theses are some of the most meaningful and thought-provoking posts
I've read on the fourm. Best comunity I've ever know as well.. so decent
and kind!
Just a smidgen more proud to be a furry now. :D
Furry or not, you're welcome here. All ways
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

It's a good community, I love it here :3

Now Sleet, can I go home? You've held us here for so lo-what's with the shotgun? N-nooo!
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

That's why I like it here. It's friendly and welcoming and I can express my inner furrieness without being though strangely of. :)
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

I think what makes this forum unique (apart from all of us lovely people on it) is that it's accepting of furries without making being a furry a requirement.
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Has anybody seen the musical Cats? It's another one of the major furry influences on me.
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I've only seen it once, and I actually never finished. I saw it in the 4th grade in my music class, but we didn't finish it before the year ended.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
Tatsuo

Post by Tatsuo »

Hlaoroo wrote:Has anybody seen the musical Cats? It's another one of the major furry influences on me.

Don't think I saw that one. For me it was the, The Aristocats. My list of influential movies are Balto, An American tail, Jungle book, Lion King, Robin Hood, Little Mermaid, The Great Mouse Detective, The Rescuers, All Dogs go to Heaven, Dinotopia, Dinosaur, and FurnGully. I'm sure there's a lot more more, but those are the ones I really remember when I think about my childhood.
We assume so much, and know so little...
“Don't walk behind me; I may not lead. Don't walk in front of me; I may not follow. Just walk beside me and be my friend." - Albert Camus.
Rico

Post by Rico »

Hlaoroo wrote:Has anybody seen the musical Cats? It's another one of the major furry influences on me.
I've never had the urge to watch (the musical) Cats, but if enough people recommend it I may have to go see it.
Tatsuo wrote:My list of influential movies are Balto, An American tail, Jungle book, Lion King, Robin Hood, Little Mermaid, The Great Mouse Detective, The Rescuers, All Dogs go to Heaven, Dinotopia, Dinosaur, and FurnGully. I'm sure there's a lot more more, but those are the ones I really remember when I think about my childhood.
I only recently discovered Balto and I'm very disapointed that I never saw it earlier. I had never even heard of it before, which must have been due to Toy Story being released around the same time. Not that watching Balto at the time would have made me any more of a furry than I already was :)
Everything works out in the end. If it hasn't worked out yet, then it's not the end.

SkyeCaptain

Post by SkyeCaptain »

Has anyone heard of The Plague Dogs? It's an animated film by the same people as Watership Down. I just watched it there and I have to say it's a great movie, but be warned it's extremely depressing and disturbing in places.
Arbitrary

Post by Arbitrary »

SkyeCaptain wrote:Has anyone heard of The Plague Dogs?
Just looked it up. I like the concept so I guess my evening is booked.

Personally, Calvin and Hobbes has been an influence on me. Mainly the idea of a animal companion I could interact with appealed to me. Also his imaginary world simply rocked. And I would say Disney films helped along with several of the other ones mentioned.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Heh. Probably my favourite characters from The Lion King are the hyenas, I wonder why they cutted them off from the sequel.
I like them the same way I like Sneak, Snoop and Snitch, from the old Gulliver's travells movie.
I have a soft spot for disfunctional evil lackey trios.
Hlaoroo wrote:I actually didn't see Robin Hood until recently.
Blasphemy!
As I wrote about a month ago, Robin Hood is probably the single most influencial movie of my life: One the day I saw it and my heart never went back. It actually made me stop hating to have to learn English!
I was like "I'll learn English so that, one day, I'll be able to speak it and go to England, the land talking foxes!!!!!"
(I was nine years old back then, man. Cut me some slack!)
Rico wrote:I only recently discovered Balto and I'm very disapointed that I never saw it earlier. I had never even heard of it before, which must have been due to Toy Story being released around the same time. Not that watching Balto at the time would have made me any more of a furry than I already was :)
I loved the Balto movies, back in the day! The first one is based on real life events, also!
Never saw the third one, though.

Still, after seeing the second one, I began distrusting the aurora borealis, the North Amrican tundra, and most of all, the inuits. Seeing Brother Bear didn't help, either.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Silly Zealot wrote:It actually made me stop hating to have to learn English!
I was like "I'll learn English so that, one day, I'll be able to speak it and go to England, the land talking foxes!!!!!"
What's your excuse for studying English translation at university?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Dissension wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:It actually made me stop hating to have to learn English!
What's your excuse for studying English translation at university?
First, getting the possibility to read, listen, and above all, comprehend works of both English and universal aclaim that are not easily found in the Spanish tongue.
Second, acquiring unique, respectable, and even enviable job opportunities through the knowledge and expertise of the English language.
Third, speaking with first-world individuals, even if they are only online creeps such as yourselves! :evil:
And (Honest To God.) fourth,

A tiny part of my mind refuses to realize that talking foxes are a fake.

How am I still breathing?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!