No
25%
Yes
75%

Total votes: 348

JeffCvt

Re: Are You A Furry?

Post by JeffCvt »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:remember when I said I wasn't? yeah, that still stands. :lol:
Same with me.

I don't really see what the bid deal about being a furry is. Why would so many people hide it? If I was one, I wouldn't go out telling everyone that I was, but I wouldn't be ashamed of it or anything.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Remember when I said I was a furry? Well, I lied. As it turns out, I'm actually a sandwich.

On a more serious note: I'm having trouble thinking of what a 'furry club' would actually do. Would it be a subsection of the art club? A meet and greet where everyone brings a laptop (or everyone huddles around a single computer) and people share the furry stuff they've found/made with each other? Would it just be a club where furries chat with one another about the fandom and what they do (or don't do) to participate in it?
"When you're falling in a forest and there's nobody around,
do you ever really crash or even make a sound?"
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

EDIT: Gah! I take too long to type. This addresses the post two up from this one.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Jeff.

I don't think it's shame so much as an effort to avoid potential repercussions in "meatspace," when most people (especially the 35 and up group) find it very strange, like... well, to be honest, I can't think of a straight-up comparison.

An attitude of shame would be something like, "I really shouldn't be doing this, and I can't let people find out." So there's guilt there, basically the way your moral compass says STOP.

It seems the attitude of most furries is, "I like this, and wish I could talk to other people about it without coming off as weird." So the hiding is done grudgingly, and many furries use the internet to get together with people of similar interests so they do have others they can associate with. Indicating there is a desire to share, but just with those who "get it." Or even those who may not-- heck, reading just this thread provides plenty of instances of people who really really want to tell their (presumably) non-furry friends about the fandom. Probably not characteristic of "shame."

I mean, if everybody out there had your attitude, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And, as time goes on, it seems likely most people's attitudes will trend that way.

Is my two cents, anyways. YMMV, as always.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

KJOokami wrote:Remember when I said I was a furry? Well, I lied. As it turns out, I'm actually a sandwich.

On a more serious note: I'm having trouble thinking of what a 'furry club' would actually do. Would it be a subsection of the art club? A meet and greet where everyone brings a laptop (or everyone huddles around a single computer) and people share the furry stuff they've found/made with each other? Would it just be a club where furries chat with one another about the fandom and what they do (or don't do) to participate in it?
first rule of furry club: don't talk about furry club
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I imagine a furry club might watch furry movies and TV and such?
GunRacer wrote:EDIT: Gah! I take too long to type. This addresses the post two up from this one.

I'm gonna have to disagree with you there, Jeff.

I don't think it's shame so much as an effort to avoid potential repercussions in "meatspace," when most people (especially the 35 and up group) find it very strange, like... well, to be honest, I can't think of a straight-up comparison.

An attitude of shame would be something like, "I really shouldn't be doing this, and I can't let people find out." So there's guilt there, basically the way your moral compass says STOP.

It seems the attitude of most furries is, "I like this, and wish I could talk to other people about it without coming off as weird." So the hiding is done grudgingly, and many furries use the internet to get together with people of similar interests so they do have others they can associate with. Indicating there is a desire to share, but just with those who "get it." Or even those who may not-- heck, reading just this thread provides plenty of instances of people who really really want to tell their (presumably) non-furry friends about the fandom. Probably not characteristic of "shame."

I mean, if everybody out there had your attitude, we wouldn't be having this discussion. And, as time goes on, it seems likely most people's attitudes will trend that way.

Is my two cents, anyways. YMMV, as always.
Hit the nail right on the head.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Sleet wrote:I imagine a furry club might watch furry movies and TV and such?
probably similar to an Anime club, but with furry stuff instead of Anime stuff.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Thanks, Sleet!
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:first rule of furry club: don't talk about furry club
Hey, it's like the Masons.

KJO:
I guess it'd be mainly a social thing-- meeting other like-minded folks.

The only thing I have to compare it to is the firearms community:
Most gun people are also car people, plane people, Gadsden flag people, history people, etc.

I imagine at a gathering of furries, you'd see a similar dynamic. Even apart from being part of the fandom, there's a good chance people there would share common ground on a lot of other things.

Post by 0404 »

Irelevant: does anthropomorphic mascot suit counts as a fursuit?
Last edited by 0404 on Sun Jun 10, 2012 12:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

GunRacer wrote:there's a good chance people there would share common ground on a lot of other things.
Like bad taste in musicWHAT IT'S KINDA TRUE.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
The Grey Wolverine

Post by The Grey Wolverine »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:remember when I said I wasn't? yeah, that still stands. :lol:
Become one of us! Yes, one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us! one of us!
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

NO. I'm already a brony, a Whovian, an otaku, and a Homestuck. I don't need to add furry.
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
WolvenPaw15

Re: What kind of furry animal are you?

Post by WolvenPaw15 »

texascat018 wrote:
Sleet wrote:Well most high schoolers are so afraid of being judged that they keep stuff like that to themselves.
what would it be looks like if there is a furry club in school?
right, I have seen some school with Furry club on internet.
I was reading something the other day about a boy going to school on a day for dressing for your interests, and he wore furry (Only the ears and tail but still) and he was sent to the guidance councillor who in turn sent him to a psychiatrist because the school thought it was wrong and he "Has problems"
Pet Friendly:
Zeke Warren RG S-5 P-5 E-5 C-5 I-8 A-9 L-5
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Marine Fox wrote:Still dont get why some people find a problem with Furries, some people are just too close minded to see it.
The oversexuallty.

The drama.

The cult of personalty surrounding a number of people.

The really creepy way some folks get when preaching about the fandom and then do their best to eat, sleep and breath it, then take it as a personal attack when you side-eye them.

Just some of the reasons why.
Liam

Post by Liam »

In short, the usual dark sides most subcultures share.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Liam wrote:In short, the usual dark sides most subcultures share.
Never said these were new problems, but 1-2-3 are -really- bad in furry.
JeffCvt

Post by JeffCvt »

I can't say that I've ever run into anyone like what Foxstar described.

So I guess it's still hard for me to imagine that there are people like that to push others away.
Jeff "Clavy" Civit
Foxstar

Post by Foxstar »

Some people just get creeped out/aren't social, which baffles me, why you would want to deal with a social fandom.
The Grey Wolverine

Re: What kind of furry animal are you?

WolvenPaw15 wrote:I was reading something the other day about a boy going to school on a day for dressing for your interests, and he wore furry (Only the ears and tail but still) and he was sent to the guidance councillor who in turn sent him to a psychiatrist because the school thought it was wrong and he "Has problems"
Odd, I wore a gas mask, a shirt that said "Evil Midnight Bomber What Bombs at Midnight" and shuffled in the halls between classes, and I wasn't sent anywhere. Heck, a friend of mine went to school in a corset, skirt, and long boots, and hes a guy. Neither of us went to guidance.
Please click this link and support me on FA. http://www.furaffinity.net/user/greywolverene/
legendario13

Post by legendario13 »

texascat018 wrote:Irelevant: does anthropomorphic mascot suit counts as a fursuit?
As long as i know: All furry is anthro, not all anthro is furry because if is not considered as such then it is not.

that would take me to ask: does the person who wears it consider it as fursuiting?

But if we think of fursuiting as an action that doesnt have relation with being a furry or not, then: yes it counts as fursuit

That or im all wrong :lol:
A moment of enlightenment...aaaaand it's gone
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

So my boyfriend (who knows I enjoy furry webcomics) was playing on my iPod Touch the other day and he decided to click the Safari app... and the first page that pops up is the Housepets! forum board index page. He goes, "What in the world is this-?" as I take my iPod away from him and close the tab. He knows I'm a member of a furry forum anyways but his reaction was still funny when he saw Grape and Peanut in the logo picture. At least he knew they were anthros. Then he (jokingly) asked me if I was into the weirder side of the fandom. -_-

Just a little story I thought I'd share here. =P
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Three words: OPSEC, OPSEC, OPSEC. (The word is spelled with all caps normally; I'm not yelling)

If you want to keep things on the down low, just make a habit of closing out tabs whenever you pocket your iPod. Of course, you can go a lot further-- using proxy servers, seperate web browsers, "burying"/encrypting all data, etc. Ask me how I know.

...if you really care that much about it. Although it sounds like, in your case, your boyfriend would be cool with it. For me, trying to keep something under wraps as much as possible is just plain fun. Best of luck, however things work out.

Ever the paranoid one,
GunRacer
Beagle

Post by Beagle »

GunRacer wrote:Three words: OPSEC, OPSEC, OPSEC. (The word is spelled with all caps normally; I'm not yelling)

If you want to keep things on the down low, just make a habit of closing out tabs whenever you pocket your iPod. Of course, you can go a lot further-- using proxy servers, seperate web browsers, "burying"/encrypting all data, etc. Ask me how I know.

...if you really care that much about it. Although it sounds like, in your case, your boyfriend would be cool with it. For me, trying to keep something under wraps as much as possible is just plain fun. Best of luck, however things work out.

Ever the paranoid one,
GunRacer
:lol: I'm not worried about it. He's known since we first started dating (nine months ago) that I read furry webcomics. He was just teasing and didn't actually mean anything. As a matter of fact, he's got a list of webcomics I want him to read if he can ever get his nose out of his Clive Cussler, Robert Jordan, and George R.R. Martin novels. XD The reason I closed the tab was because I was still logged into the site. I don't have a problem if he did want to look around, but at the time I was more interested in watching him fail at Angry Birds. :P
Let me tell you about Homestuck.
The Grey Wolverine

GunRacer wrote:Three words: OPSEC, OPSEC, OPSEC. (The word is spelled with all caps normally; I'm not yelling)

Ever the paranoid one,
GunRacer
Man this is why noone uses my PC but me, also so they don't erase my progress in Magicka and the fallout games.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Beagle wrote:So my boyfriend (who knows I enjoy furry webcomics) was playing on my iPod Touch the other day and he decided to click the Safari app... and the first page that pops up is the Housepets! forum board index page. He goes, "What in the world is this-?" as I take my iPod away from him and close the tab. He knows I'm a member of a furry forum anyways but his reaction was still funny when he saw Grape and Peanut in the logo picture. At least he knew they were anthros. Then he (jokingly) asked me if I was into the weirder side of the fandom. -_-

Just a little story I thought I'd share here. =P
This isn't technically a furry forum! We're just 75% furry.
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

Grey: Yeah... I actually keep all of my drawings, writing, etc. on an SD card that stays on my person at all times. So that way, the data can't be accessed without my knowledge regardless. Probably totally unnecessary, but again, fun for me.

I sound like a criminal or something. Yeesh.

To keep this on topic:
Sleet, bad music? At least on this forum, it seems people have fairly diverse and interesting musical tastes. But then again, I don't hang out on any furry websites except this one. So what is stereotypical (ha ha) furry music?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Obviously individuals will vary (some of my friends whose tastes I respect the most are furries), but by and large furries tend to listen to crappy rave music and generic dubstep. I guess that's not really any different than "normal people" and top 40 crap, but at least that's more varied and changes with time.

I think the main reason furries have bad music tastes is because the furry fandom is based on visual media, and so furries are more likely to focus their artistic culture on visual art and focus less on audio.
The Grey Wolverine

Than it is time to start my cover band. Who's with me!
GunRacer

Post by GunRacer »

I can't carry a tune to save my life and don't currently play any musical instrument. Need a manager/marketing guy? Har har.

But what would the band play, assuming you don't want to go the "crappy dubstep/rave" route?
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

I realize the band comment was likely made entirely in jest, but I just thought I'd throw out that I'd totally join. I can't play any instruments (except basic chords on piano), but I sing sometimes (okay, so I sing all the freaking time). :3
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I have no musical talent, but I'm a decent publicist, or so I'm told.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

Dissension wrote:I have no musical talent,
Why you be lyin' to us, Diss?
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I'm sure I have no idea what you're talking about.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I can play every instrument in a typical rock band and would be eager to take up any musical project available to me.

But it'd only tangentially relate to the furry fandom and therefore should be discussed in the proper thread.
The Grey Wolverine

KJOokami wrote:I realize the band comment was likely made entirely in jest, but I just thought I'd throw out that I'd totally join. I can't play any instruments (except basic chords on piano), but I sing sometimes (okay, so I sing all the freaking time). :3
It wasn't, or was it? I don't know, but I can kind of sing in lower notes.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Sleet wrote:I can play every instrument in a typical rock band and would be eager to take up any musical project available to me.

But it'd only tangentially relate to the furry fandom and therefore should be discussed in the proper thread.
QRS3000

Post by QRS3000 »

This was a video that my sister showed me because she said it reminded her of my drawings http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4NIA6s8 ... re=related I guess the question I got out of this is "What do you think of the use of animal costumes as an artistic or philosophical statement?"
KJOokami

Post by KJOokami »

That video was interesting, if a tad strange at times. But I'm really not sure I understand what the purpose was, if anything at all.

As for your question, I definitely don't see anything wrong with fursuiting to express an artistic statement. However, I'm a little confused by what philosophical statement one could actually hope to express by doing so.
QRS3000

Post by QRS3000 »

@ KJOokami I don't know either. It's probably just about it being something people do for fun except when they start to take it seriously. There's just something about the way the events progress in the video that's a bit dark. Sometimes, it's hard to see that when there's dancing in the video.
tychoaussie

Post by tychoaussie »

So, let me ask you this:

Does the following video make me a costumed freelance mascot, a fursuiter, or a furry?

(Someone asked me to post if I ever got any video)

Tycho Aussie's debut
Fun-loving by birth, Honorable through upbringing, Brave by necessity.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

I'd say the first two (because they're pretty much the same) and maybe on the last because there's no way to tell from a video.
but you were acting very mascot-ly
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets