2021/05/05 - Having An Aard Day

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2021/05/05 - Having An Aard Day

Post by D-Rock »

[2021/05/05 - Having An Aard Day]
Title Text: dangit I should have put one way on the street backwards

Well, Operation: Halt the Advance was a bust, time for Operation: Damage Control.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dr_eirik

Re: 2021/05/05 - Having An Aard Day

Post by dr_eirik »

"What a twist!"
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Wait whaaaaaaaaaaaaat
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well this isn't good. Its really bad that it happened in what I'm assuming is the middle of the day while they were out and they didn't notice.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Was the irony of the person questioning Lois' eyesight being an aardvark intentional?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Well, it’s not something to take in your stride
but failing to notice is something worse.
Perhaps, though, that’s part of the big guy’s plan?
Or is it just the next part of the curse?
Whole families changed to random species
sounds like something taken right from a Hell.
What rules will exist in such a mad world?
(and will it seem just like ‘Kevin and Kell’?)
As for now, you’re only going one way
and that’ll take you right to the last fight.
After being stuck with Todd all this time
they just might find a Demon a delight.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Ohhhh, I don't like the implications of that. I don't like the implications of that at all.

The coin's been broken, we haven't seen the result of Eudoant's handiwork on Steward yet, just what kind of powers daemonic he gave him using the coin.

I think we've just seen a sign of it, and I think we're about to see a lot more.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Transformations in Heaven? Sounds pretty Infernal to me!
Yikes!
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

Either Steward is running around with the coin and stealthily transforming people or has somehow gained the ability to curse people at will, and I don't like either possibility.
"BEHOLD! The power of an ANGEL!" - Gabriel, moments before getting beaten up by a GoPro
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:08 am Transformations in Heaven? Sounds pretty Infernal to me!
Yikes!
They're not in Heaven. They're 'outside the exclusion zone'. Basically, they're back on Earth.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Love the Aardvark, great ears. AAH! I'm an Aardvark !? sounds like a great title for a show. Looking forward to seeing what other changes may have occurred!
Disproportionately Dappled
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Well, gotta say, the aardvark is cute! Also, if there's a TF'd human outside the zone...makes you wonder just how many Steward actually got to either prior or after the quarantine happened.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

SeanWolf wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 4:45 am Well, gotta say, the aardvark is cute! Also, if there's a TF'd human outside the zone...makes you wonder just how many Steward actually got to either prior or after the quarantine happened.
Wasn't part of Euodant and Nega-Breel's agreement that he would help Nega-Breel release Euodant from Hell in exchange for something like this?
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Hagus

Post by Hagus »

Basically there’s 2 explanations for this:
1. Steward and Eudoant were outside the quarantine zone when it was cast, which means they are free to do whatever, and Steward’s demon powers include transforming people without the coin.
2. There’s no explanation and we’re going to just roll with it. :lol:

I did have a theory that I have explained on Discord before. Basically I think this is the finale of Housepets, or at least something that will lead to a spin-off. The spin-off will focus on Marion, Lois, Todd, Sasha, and Tarot (maybe not Tarot tbh she’s just kinda here for magic(k)al stuff) in a world of transformed humans. It’ll be about them dealing with everything that comes with being a transformed human and yadda yadda yadda. It will be most likely in a style more close to Rick’s normal style (A&H Club style probably). This would explain why there hasn’t been a ton of character development on any of the current cast in this arc. Saving it for the spin-off. It would also explain why there are more transformed animals outside the quarantine, it’s going to be a widespread thing so they’re more common and the rights for transformed humans will get pushed into legislation faster and that’s kinda where the spin-off will start.

I probably am 100% wrong and this is a convoluted weird idea but like, I personally think this is where it’s heading. If I’m right then I get to do a victory dance. If I’m wrong then I will sing the Hagus Was Wrong Song. Complete with choreography.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Hagus wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:54 am Basically there’s 2 explanations for this:
1. Steward and Eudoant were outside the quarantine zone when it was cast, which means they are free to do whatever, and Steward’s demon powers include transforming people without the coin.
2. There’s no explanation and we’re going to just roll with it. :lol:

I did have a theory that I have explained on Discord before. Basically I think this is the finale of Housepets, or at least something that will lead to a spin-off. The spin-off will focus on Marion, Lois, Todd, Sasha, and Tarot (maybe not Tarot tbh she’s just kinda here for magic(k)al stuff) in a world of transformed humans. It’ll be about them dealing with everything that comes with being a transformed human and yadda yadda yadda. It will be most likely in a style more close to Rick’s normal style (A&H Club style probably). This would explain why there hasn’t been a ton of character development on any of the current cast in this arc. Saving it for the spin-off. It would also explain why there are more transformed animals outside the quarantine, it’s going to be a widespread thing so they’re more common and the rights for transformed humans will get pushed into legislation faster and that’s kinda where the spin-off will start.

I probably am 100% wrong and this is a convoluted weird idea but like, I personally think this is where it’s heading. If I’m right then I get to do a victory dance. If I’m wrong then I will sing the Hagus Was Wrong Song. Complete with choreography.

That could be interesting if true but, I dunno, I don't really see this as a Finale of Housepets. I always think back to a tweet prior to this arc by Rick that included - what if I made this epic with four distinct plot arcs that Changes Everything and also has room for some shenanigans - So I think that while your idea that this will result in the whole world being animals now (hence Rick saying 'Changes Everything' in said tweet), I don't see it as a finale of the main HP story but a way to progress the HP Universe and maybe introduce new ideas and characters for the main cast and new cast to interact with, along with new stories to be made.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

What if... Everyone gets changed to an Animal... EXCEPT the Humans temporarily in Heaven?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:06 am What if... Everyone gets changed to an Animal... EXCEPT the Humans temporarily in Heaven?
That would be interesting, and it makes sense given that the humans would be protected from the effects of the coin and magic(k) while they were in heaven.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Alright, they're in four in the car. Looks like Tarot decided to go towards the demon in the downtown, but the other one in the manor needs more attention now... :? So, also outside the quarantine zones there are humans turned into animals, and almost nobody is around... :roll: The thing is really getting weird, and that aardvark neither noticed of the transformation, because it happened just a while before... :shock: Curious animal specie, though. ;)
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 9:06 am What if... Everyone gets changed to an Animal... EXCEPT the Humans temporarily in Heaven?
Except for special guest star Chuck Norris who drives into town and finds he's transformed into Earl Sandwich.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Startrekfan47 wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 2:34 pm
Except for special guest star Chuck Norris who drives into town and finds he's transformed into Earl Sandwich.
Sadly while Chuck makes it, the special musical guests at the local rock concert don't fair as well. Granted they were asking for trouble when they lined up 1980s band Stray Cats as their lead act but at least the audience got exactly what the ticket said on stage afterward.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Isn't this kinda what Pete promised in the first place?
Mr. Whisper wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:22 am Was the irony of the person questioning Lois' eyesight being an aardvark intentional?
Well, she is wearing glasses
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Lois drives a 1996–2002 generation Toyota Camry is confirmed. I wonder if we will see any other transformed humans trying to drive?
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

So either there is a perception filter that makes people not realize the whole "people have turned into animals" and so he could only notice it after it was pointed out, or this is guy is really oblivious, not noticing how (probably) lost half of his height (It is also possible he was already that short, but there are other things you think would be obvious like a snout)

Though there is another possibility that I doubt it is, but I think of. It could be that he really was just aardvark who was made to think that he was a human. Demons are tricky, there could be mind games on mind games.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Frank wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:34 pm Well, she is wearing glasses
This is true. I was making a subtle reference to the most famous aardvark.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Such a massive bombshell like River Ridge at large seemingly getting turned into animals is definitely gonna have repercussions. Like SeanWolf said, though, I can’t see the comic ending after all the conflict of this arc gets resolved. I can see, though, an end to Rick doing major lengthy status-quo change-up arcs like these.

My guess is that everyone who got turned into animals is gonna be given a choice to stay as animals or change back to humans. The law that’d make it so that animals that qualify for Domestication have the same rights as humans, the law that we’d read in the first part of Heckraiser was gonna be passed in a few days time (at the time in-comic in the arc), is definitely gonna pass. Animals and humans in River Ridge can live equally, and the comic continues with slice of life pages and stories for however long Rick decides to keep it running.

I really do hope that that’s what happens. There’s so much more stuff to explore in the characters new and old, and I particularly want to see Marion & Lois in an arc where they can just relax and be themselves and we can see them interacting with the rest of the HousePets cast without immediately being whisked away on an adventure to deal with Magic(k)al occurrences.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

I feel like things are to far in the air to make any solid predictions, I feel like it would be odd to establish demons this much and establish that they can invade anytime with minimal effort and only stopped by being actively opposed by celestials, only to conclude that threat in the same arc while explicitly excluding most of the main cast from it. Demons seem posed to take the narrative niche that the Game and the aftermath of the Game as a source of wacky, magical hijacks. I think most likely there will be some relative return to normalcy and more slice-of-life arcs after this mega-arc unless we get a surprise genre shift into I don't know post-apocalyptical survival, but I don't see "surprise demon invasion" as ramping down the more mystical aspects of the comics.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I also feel the need to point out that when Rick shifted the focus from slice-of-life to mystical elements with King's arc and the game that Pete forced him to be a part of not a lot of people liked it and thought it overshadowed anything else. I don't think that this arc will last as long as King's though.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Ash Greytree wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 pm I particularly want to see Marion & Lois in an arc where they can just relax and be themselves and we can see them interacting with the rest of the HousePets cast without immediately being whisked away on an adventure to deal with Magic(k)al occurrences.
Not gonna lie --- I honestly felt that the comic hasn't done it's magical/adventure stuff enough. Temple Crashers 2 was the closest the comic got to a full on blockbusterish epic, and that always kinda disappointed me. I'm not really a fan of the slice of life arcs (though they are fun) but I like it when the comic goes full high stakes and full on insane and weird more.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Ash Greytree wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 pm Such a massive bombshell like River Ridge at large seemingly getting turned into animals is definitely gonna have repercussions. Like SeanWolf said, though, I can’t see the comic ending after all the conflict of this arc gets resolved. I can see, though, an end to Rick doing major lengthy status-quo change-up arcs like these.

My guess is that everyone who got turned into animals is gonna be given a choice to stay as animals or change back to humans. The law that’d make it so that animals that qualify for Domestication have the same rights as humans, the law that we’d read in the first part of Heckraiser was gonna be passed in a few days time (at the time in-comic in the arc), is definitely gonna pass. Animals and humans in River Ridge can live equally, and the comic continues with slice of life pages and stories for however long Rick decides to keep it running.

I really do hope that that’s what happens. There’s so much more stuff to explore in the characters new and old, and I particularly want to see Marion & Lois in an arc where they can just relax and be themselves and we can see them interacting with the rest of the HousePets cast without immediately being whisked away on an adventure to deal with Magic(k)al occurrences.

I forgot about that law being passed. I can honestly see that being how this arc ends, leading to more shenanigans with the cast now since that law would've passed. And like you also said, there is so much more to explore with the characters and more ways to develop them (Heck, we still don't have a arc about Daisy or Rex or an arc solely about King and Bailey's pups) so this being a "finale" wouldn't make sense.....plus, I'm still holding out for the eventual arc where Olive gets a boyfriend :)
Hagus

Post by Hagus »

SeanWolf wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 am plus, I'm still holding out for the eventual arc where Olive gets a boyfriend
She already has a boyfriend, Pueblo :D
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Hagus wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:11 am
SeanWolf wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:09 am plus, I'm still holding out for the eventual arc where Olive gets a boyfriend
She already has a boyfriend, Pueblo :D
True, but I'm still hoping for a dedicated arc with those two :) Like a first date one where King and Gale are secretly spying on them, making sure they don't get into trouble :)
Hagus

Post by Hagus »

SeanWolf wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 7:38 am
True, but I'm still hoping for a dedicated arc with those two :) Like a first date one where King and Gale are secretly spying on them, making sure they don't get into trouble :)
Bailey and Gale would be better since they don’t like each other :lol:
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Mr. Whisper wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:37 pm
David Sim's Cerebus the Aardvark?
Frank

Post by Frank »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 3:56 pm Lois drives a 1996–2002 generation Toyota Camry is confirmed. I wonder if we will see any other transformed humans trying to drive?
Well, maybe. Remember they're free to just steal things as "heaven will pick up the bill"
Ash Greytree wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 pm There’s so much more stuff to explore in the characters new and old, and I particularly want to see Marion & Lois in an arc where they can just relax and be themselves and we can see them interacting with the rest of the HousePets cast without immediately being whisked away on an adventure to deal with Magic(k)al occurrences.
An Imaginate! arc with Marion and Lois?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 12:02 pm
Mr. Whisper wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 7:37 pm
David Sim's Cerebus the Aardvark?
That's what I was thinking, but apparently there was a kid's book series about an Aardvark named Arthur that came out after I was no longer in the target market.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

He also got a TV series that’s literally still going.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Literally the only TV I have watched since 1978 has been the Disney Afternoon and Star Trek.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Arthur first came out in 1976 where he was introduced first in the book "Arthur's Nose" back when he actually LOOKED like an aardvark and not like how he does now. This is how he looked originally.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/arthu ... 0314214641

Then he looked like this.

https://static.wikia.nocookie.net/arthu ... 0327010500

It wasn't until 1989 in the books that he had the design that he had in the cartoon show. The cartoon show debuted in 1996. The 25th season is the last season. They just started to air the 24th season. So next year will be the last for new episodes.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Mister, she's not calling you nonhuman on a lark,
Stop and look down, you're an aardvark,
And it seems that the corruption's gone and grown,
There are few humans, even outside the zone.

Last time in a car, Lois was too small,
Here she doesn't have that problem at all,
No, aardvark, you're not chopped liver,
But of the humans you're not part of that sliver.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that there are gonna be many people downtown that are part of the sliver at this moment. :?