2021/04/05 - The Muffin Marten

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2021/04/05 - The Muffin Marten

Post by D-Rock »

[2021/04/05 - The Muffin Marten]
Title Text: yeah I've just been working out, firming up my glute(n)s

It's amazing what getting baking done can do for your nerves.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2021/04/05 - The Muffin Marten

Post by Gbr23 »

He's not ANYWHERE near here, and yet Max stole the show hahahah
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well at least they have a lot of snacks to eat when everyone gets back I guess. Also Max is secretly a baker that's neat
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

IceKitsune wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 12:07 am Well at least they have a lot of snacks to eat when everyone gets back I guess. Also Max is secretly a baker that's neat
Catnip gives you the munchies?! ... and where's Jeeves? He's sore needed!!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Well it’s nice to see you, ol’ cook,
and see that you give a dook.
The relief hits right where we feel
as Keene finds his loving, big, Breel.
Nega now plans out his attacks
whilst Breel just lays out his facts
and drops us a fact about Max…
C’mon, guys, it’s time to make tracks.
Objective two is now achieved;
Kit’s not the only one relieved.
Now it’s just evil to be perceived…
unless, of course, we’re being deceived?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

Breel is so dedicated to baking, he found a way to dodge Heaven whisking everyone away exclusively so he could take over the mansion kitchen. I respect it.
"BEHOLD! The power of an ANGEL!" - Gabriel, moments before getting beaten up by a GoPro
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

That's a lot of cupcakes.
Disproportionately Dappled
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

DDeer wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:35 am That's a lot of cupcakes.
And just as many Muffins!
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

Welsh Halfwit wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 2:52 am
And just as many Muffins!
Am I getting my cake terminology in a pickle? ;)
Disproportionately Dappled
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Plenty for both Babylon Gardens and the forums here :)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I’m now want to see Breel, Rex, and Maxwell baking together. NegaBreel seems repulsed, whether it’s due to Keene and Breel’s love for the each other or something else, remains to be seen. Panel two is sweet and cute.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

While this is cute, it does kind of highlight just how... incomplete Breel is. He has zero survival instincts at this point.

This all has weird implications for heaven. The bad parts of people go to the Bad Place, but what remains seems barely recognizable as a functional being.

I mean, Peanut would be okay, but a whole Heaven full of Peanuts seems... not so heavenly.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

trekkie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 am I’m now want to see Breel, Rex, and Maxwell baking together. NegaBreel seems repulsed, whether it’s due to Keene and Breel’s love for the each other or something else, remains to be seen. Panel two is sweet and cute.
Nega just might be allergic to muffins. I feel that allergies aren't allowed in Heaven.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Crazy_Simone

Post by Crazy_Simone »

Max before Housepets: I am the mysterious semi-feral! The wild conquer! I’m dating the hottest which in town. I shell now rule the cup-de-sac with an iron tail!
Max since Housepets: *cry* Sab left me for a dog. Grape is dating her brother again. Bino is a jerk. I feel so lonely an insecure. Let me just bake tons of muffins.
Last edited by Crazy_Simone on Mon Apr 05, 2021 10:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Titanium Dragon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:56 am While this is cute, it does kind of highlight just how... incomplete Breel is. He has zero survival instincts at this point.

This all has weird implications for heaven. The bad parts of people go to the Bad Place, but what remains seems barely recognizable as a functional being.

I mean, Peanut would be okay, but a whole Heaven full of Peanuts seems... not so heavenly.

He did know exactly what to say to get Lois to stop attacking Keene though.You are right though, and I think that this does touch on the fact that as unpleasant as “negative” attributes might be, we need them to survive, just as we need positive attributes to survive. Or maybe I’m being overly philosophical about this strip. Or thinking too much about it.

Simone, I’d love to see that Maxwell and Tarot have been dating, and Grape is totally oblivious, as Max was about Grape and Peanut. Even if they don’t though, baking can be therapeutic, and we know Max chats with Breel so it’s broadened his friendship circle at least.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Titanium Dragon wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:56 am While this is cute, it does kind of highlight just how... incomplete Breel is. He has zero survival instincts at this point.

Of course, while you might need the negative aspects to survive and thrive on Earth, you don't in Heaven. We've had hints that Breel was not the nicest Marten on Earth, but whatever those negetive aspects were, they were fine being parted from him.

But Cerebus did say that Breel was the first one to come back this way. So we got the fully positive Breel without any of the grit he would normally need to survive. And since he was inside the shell of the Miltons, didn't need it.

It does explain his odd reaction to Lois strangling Keene.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I'm sure Keene would gladly kiss the dook.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

trekkie wrote: Mon Apr 05, 2021 7:50 am I’m now want to see Breel, Rex, and Maxwell baking together. NegaBreel seems repulsed, whether it’s due to Keene and Breel’s love for the each other or something else, remains to be seen. Panel two is sweet and cute.
Yeah I was hoping someone would remind us of Rex's baking prowess!
Immortal_Requiem

Post by Immortal_Requiem »

Love these two, they are soo cute.

I supose we will soon see if Breels are going to mix or not.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I'm glad Keene finally met again Breel. :D Yeah, Breel remained on Earth because the magic(k) of bringing the mortals of that area in Heaven couldn't work on him. It's impressive that he was baking muffins for all the time, before at their home and then at the mansion. :) You've been too much alone, Breel... :( Now that Keene is back you can stop baking, though, let's eat some of them. ;) Uhm, interesting to know that Maxwell does the same thing. :P NegaBreel is near watching the scene, and he's not liking it, as seems... :? What could happen next? :roll:
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Do we know for sure that NegaBreel hates love outright? It could be that he has no idea what love is so he hates it because he can’t understand it.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

At the risk of Tarot's wrath, I'd compare it to the Trek episode "The Enemy Within"
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The afterlife survival of "morally bifurcated beings" does raise some interesting spiritual issues. Maybe Mani and the Manichees would have some insights into how that works. (Sounds like a Heavy Metal Group - "Mani and the Manichees"!)

Are souls split 50/50 or would proportions vary? The Celestial realm seems much more heavily populated than the Infernal. Hmmmm.....
Chubbo

Post by Chubbo »

NHWestoN wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:04 pm
The Celestial realm seems much more heavily populated than the Infernal. Hmmmm.....
We haven't seen much of heck to be completely fair as far splits and population go. Though from what I can remember about it, it seems like the regular(?) demons like Eudoant have jobs and run the place. So perhaps we didn't see many splits like with Breel's is because they're have to be summoned by name, like how we got the little demon/NegaBreel showing up when Keene kept asking for Breel and he said his name was Breel.
Owner of the housepets ranking tumblr https://housepets-character-rankings.tumblr.com/

I do rp I'm just nervous to ask to join
Frank

Post by Frank »

Okay, I know this isn't the first time Max's baking has been referenced. I remember posting a fan-theory about Max and Rex...but it may have been back in the "comments right below the strip" days
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Frank wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:56 pm Okay, I know this isn't the first time Max's baking has been referenced. I remember posting a fan-theory about Max and Rex...but it may have been back in the "comments right below the strip" days

The two of them (Max & Rex) both like to bake and both are inwardly sensitive, so they would be probably good friends. I don’t remember seeing Maxwell’s baking mentioned before, but i didn’t remember much pre forum so you may very well be right. On another subject, I just looked up dook and I love how details in HP! can be educational.

CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

We need a Great Babylon Bake Off.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

CunningFox wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 5:35 pm We need a Great Babylon Bake Off.
OOO, what a great idea for a story! Especially after this rather grim saga, a comic interlude would lighten things up a big. Rock and Pit could host a sort of Bake-show competition which could enlist a bunch of the cast and be wondrously convoluted. I likes it, Foxy! :D
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Frank wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 1:56 pm Okay, I know this isn't the first time Max's baking has been referenced. I remember posting a fan-theory about Max and Rex...but it may have been back in the "comments right below the strip" days
I don't remember it ever being mentioned before but if it was it likely was so long ago I forgot.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I love the sudden headcanon that Max could be a baker. :)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

IceKitsune wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:36 pm
I don't remember it ever being mentioned before but if it was it likely was so long ago I forgot.
I don't remember it either. The idea of Rex baking cookies first emerged in the black-and-white strip era as a joke and, as the character became gentler (and appeared less and less often), turned into a recurring theme. I don't think Max and Rex ever appeared together, except maybe in a crowd scene at King's wedding or in Keene's spa.
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

D-Rock wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 12:05 am I love the sudden headcanon that Max could be a baker. :)
Nip Brownies his specialty? I'm sure Rick doesn't want to go down that rabbit hole again (sorry, Zach), but how would nip affect the demons? Just noticed Breel's Kiss the Dook apron. Nice touch, Rick :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A quick question about that word on the apron. What does "dook" even mean in this context? I'm afraid to look it up since I know "dook" and "dookie" are also uh...juvenile bathroom terms. :roll:
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Thu Apr 08, 2021 5:31 pm A quick question about that word on the apron. What does "dook" even mean in this context? I'm afraid to look it up since I know "dook" and "dookie" are also uh...juvenile bathroom terms. :roll:
The noise a ferret makes
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have only been around ferrets a handful of times and I have never heard them make that noise. If I am ever around one again I will have to make sure to listen for it.
Frank

Post by Frank »

NHWestoN wrote: Wed Apr 07, 2021 8:19 pm
IceKitsune wrote: Tue Apr 06, 2021 8:36 pm
I don't remember it either. The idea of Rex baking cookies first emerged in the black-and-white strip era as a joke and, as the character became gentler (and appeared less and less often), turned into a recurring theme. I don't think Max and Rex ever appeared together, except maybe in a crowd scene at King's wedding or in Keene's spa.
Yeah sorry didn't mean to say they appeared together. I meant to say those were (at the time) the only two we'd seen bake anything
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I can actually see Max being a good chef and making a lot of meals. I also wouldn't be surprised if that extends to baking also.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Fri Apr 09, 2021 3:47 pm I can actually see Max being a good chef and making a lot of meals. I also wouldn't be surprised if that extends to baking also.

Definitely a way to impress Grape. And maybe earn a bigger allowance. I think Sasha is canonically a baker.

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Not really sure if she does bake but I know that she has some savant-like qualities so I'm sure she could pick it up if she wanted to.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Rex did tearfully admit to Sasha’s cookies being better than his and that was why he switched his with hers.