2021/02/19 - What Demon Is Evolving

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2021/02/19 - What Demon Is Evolving

Post by D-Rock »

[2021/02/19 - What Demon Is Evolving]
Title Text:

Let me be frank with y'all, I got nothing. :?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2021/02/19 - What Demon Is Evolving

Post by Gbr23 »

WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. WHAT.

Edit:
Ok, now looking at the first strip lil'd demon appeared he did say his name was Breel... well kinda, followed by a "it can be". Griffin, what is happening? Because I don't know, yet I like it
Last edited by Gbr23 on Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

This a potentially terrifying development. There had been a hint or two that Breel was not a great being when he was alive...
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Gbr23 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:04 am WHAT. THE. ACTUAL. WHAT.
Well, the truth is... Insert Action scene with violence and noise and blood and guts. Did you get all that?

Everyone has a dark part,
even if they’ve forgotten;
a part they don’t accept,
one that’s truly rotten.
The last part of our Breel
shows how ‘it’ first found Keene;
It sought out the finder
and just maintained its screen.
It told him quite the truth,
although it thought it lied.
He won’t mind me saying
Keene got the better side...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
ProtoDot

Post by ProtoDot »

So we're just completely glossing over the how I guess. I shouldn't be surprised given the rules of magic have never been hard and fast things in the comic, but you'd expect more for a reveal like this. This is prime worldbuilding material and now I might never see where Rick could go with it because he decided he wouldn't.
"BEHOLD! The power of an ANGEL!" - Gabriel, moments before getting beaten up by a GoPro
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, it was explained that a person's good and bad parts are split upon death.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

The demon is a pine marten? Did he turn into one to spite Breel or was he always one? Still a cool change and I like the new look. Hope he keeps it.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Important detail: He is tagged as NegaBreel

so... there´s that.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

I wonder what happens when NegaBreel meets Breel. Will he try to merge with or destroy Breel?

Also, the explanation for demons a few stips back makes me think of Armus in Star Trek TNG.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Neel...

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

D-Rock wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:16 am Well, it was explained that a person's good and bad parts are split upon death.
Yeah, that was some five minute foreshadowing right there.

Though the fact that the demon introduced himself as Breel could have been a tip-off.

Of course, this also explains why people in heaven are so mellow - they're not actually their whole original selves. Breel, being returned to life, was still his wholesome heavenly self, because he was missing, well, this.
Crazy_Simone

Post by Crazy_Simone »

I was thinking about this earlier today:
Eudoant said: We are the remnants of the parts unwanted by paradise, the shed vices surrendered by mortals upon release from their atomic husks. Does it mean when somebody dies, part of him goes to heaven and the other part goes to heck.
And boom, today's comic!
Negabreel looks good, though. You're gonna have so much fun with Keene, aren't you?
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

So he really was Breel all along. A part of him, at least.

Also, so that's what Eudoant meant back in The Process. When you die and go to heaven, the dark parts of your soul get sorted out and become a demon. And this is the demon made from the dark parts of Breel's soul.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Dissension wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:28 amNeel...
Pur-Peeeeell !
Frank

Post by Frank »

"I have a question... actually I have all the questions"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Ooh, this is getting goooood. I love that what Eudoant said earlier about the main souls pof people going to Heaven and the vices going to Heck (specifically, I think, Eudoant’s region of Heck, and other parts of Heck get the souls of the bad people) had such a specific and quick payoff with this.

I’m also curious what Eudoant plans to do with the other 2/3rds of the coin. The logic flow of turning the coin’s curs from one that turns humans into animals, into one that transforms demons into the negative version of their main counterpart, is pretty neat. I wonder if she has plans for the other two coins to try and give them to Craig & Draig and they have a different curse on them...

Any which way, this is an excellent plot-thickening and I’m excited to see what happens next!
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

This makes me think... If all of the demons are the Denizens of Heaven, who is Eudoant? My guess is Great Kitsune, which has some serious implications of bad if they get time to actually set up fully...
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Oh, boy...nega-Breel...that's quite the bombshell. Looks like Breel's past is gonna catch up to him, and it's NOT gonna be good.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Okay, questions: Since they've said that Heaven is timeless, is Heck also timeless?

Could Fall/Autumn and Winter be demons from Heck? (If Heck is timeless, they could already be there. That would mean all the cast could be there, too...)

...I just realized; if Heck is timeless, Peanut could meet a demon version of himself. Spoilers everywhere!
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

leinglo wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:43 am So he really was Breel all along. A part of him, at least.

Also, so that's what Eudoant meant back in The Process. When you die and go to heaven, the dark parts of your soul get sorted out and become a demon. And this is the demon made from the dark parts of Breel's soul.
That's what I think too..which means there's a Demon Rufus as well (Which would be interesting to see).
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
AlKatze

Post by AlKatze »

Woah, I did not expect this
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

I just re-read the Pandemonium part of Temple Crashers 2, and Dino did appear while Keene was shouting the name Breel out into the underworld and he was the only one who appeared.

I wonder if he is supposed to some fault of the living Breel, but I am not sure what it would be, maybe duplicity or deceit?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Leotamer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:26 am I wonder if he is supposed to some fault of the living Breel, but I am not sure what it would be, maybe duplicity or deceit?
Gambling.

https://twitter.com/rickswriting/status ... 2677497857

And whoopin' and hollerin' and raisin' heck when regular folks are trying to sleep.

Boy-howdy.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

If he really is Breel's Bad half, I can see the two merging down the line. It's gonna get to the point where one can't live or function well without the other...
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Argent wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:06 am
Leotamer wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:26 am I wonder if he is supposed to some fault of the living Breel, but I am not sure what it would be, maybe duplicity or deceit?
Gambling.

https://twitter.com/rickswriting/status ... 2677497857

And whoopin' and hollerin' and raisin' heck when regular folks are trying to sleep.

Boy-howdy.
Maybe we'll learn more about how he died. It was implied he was hit by a train. Maybe someone tied him to the tracks for not paying his debts?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

MrBlueSky7 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:22 am If he really is Breel's Bad half, I can see the two merging down the line. It's gonna get to the point where one can't live or function well without the other...
Am I getting a Dark Crystal vibe out of this drift or is just old age and old coffee kicking in?
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Well, that was unexpected.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

MrBlueSky7 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:22 am If he really is Breel's Bad half, I can see the two merging down the line. It's gonna get to the point where one can't live or function well without the other...
That direct idea was more of a Star Trek thing. I'm not sure we'll find that Breel needs the negetive half as much to live as he has since living with Keene. There is the fact that he's got a pretty cushy live on Earth right now and may not really "need" the negative aspects of his personality.

I'm not sure I'd be shocked to see a merged entity at some point in the comic, even if only breifly. I'd be curious if such a merger ruined the relationship.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

OMG! What!? :shock: How can it be? So, this means that little black demon is a sort of dark and bad form of Breel? His missing part? :? The coin has heavenly energies, and they gave him this transformation... :roll: Another bad opportunity you gave to Eudoant, due to your cursed coin, Steward. :| I would wonder the same too, though: how does this work? :P
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I just tossed this out in the Telegram chat, but there is a new issue here: Who are the intended recupients of the other two parts of the coin? Craig and Draig? Marion and Lois? A demon to be named later?
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

In the last page of Not All Dogs, there is exposition that dog heaven is more lenient than human heaven.

I wonder how, and if, this plays into this.

In the The Four Animals You Meet In Heaven, Mr. Milton implies that the reason Heaven is so idyllic is because they have time to become their ideal self.

And this chapter says that demons are the discarded evils of morals rejected by Heaven, and while they are a demon, we got fairly good proof that something like that is happening.

Milton could have been the one lying, but the only way to square what Milton said and what we see from the demons is that perhaps there is some type of purgatory where people have the time to shed their evils themselves and due to some cosmic rule that evil can not be destroyed only banished.
Cody

Post by Cody »

So... does this mean that when Keene drowned and ended up in Heaven, that his bad parts went to Heck? Is that why Keene is such a better human person weasel now than he was in the past? Hmm..! o:
I'm caught in a life and I can't get out
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

As a reminder, what Keene got from his trip from Heaven was, "Oh yeah, there is a temple that contains godly power in my backyard. Lets try that." which lead to a hole opening to Pandemonium in the first place and it was only after being sent there and then getting a boyfriend he started to mellow out.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Cody wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 2:21 pm So... does this mean that when Keene drowned and ended up in Heaven, that his bad parts went to Heck? Is that why Keene is such a better human person weasel now than he was in the past? Hmm..! o:
I think Keenes time in Heaven after being close to drowning is an anomoly. He never really had those parts of him discarded. Over time, he has learned to let some of those things mellow out. Breel seems to have been really seaperated from the worst of his soul. It'll be interesting to see how that progresses.
Hagus

Post by Hagus »

I really should post my theories here because I was actually 100% correct in the evil Breel part.

Basically what this confirms is yes, like a lot of people have said, everyone in Heaven is their good sides, while everyone in Heck is their bad side. This also means since Heaven is timeless, Heck is timeless, which means that all those demons we saw in Heck during TC2 could potentially be ANY cast member. They just need a power source to turn back to their original form. I would assume that every single person goes to Heaven and Heck since nobody is perfect. Even a small portion of Peanut would go to Heck because even Peanut is not perfect. It does make me sad that odds are we won’t see any more Nega versions of characters outside of Breel and maybe like Todd since he seems to be a canon-fodder type character.

So unless Eudoant can re-use the coin piece, I highly doubt Nega-anyone will appear for the time being. This is meant to be a super long arc after all. This also makes me wonder about who is actually gonna use the last two pieces. Eudoant is most likely a demon who never had a mortal form. So he doesn’t need the coin. Steward isn’t dead, so the coin probably won’t affect him (until he bites the dust or maybe the coin can turn him into a demon idk). Craig and Draig will probably be targets, because if they get corrupted as mortals, maybe their celestial forms will as well. Which would cause chaos because now the demons would have two celestial beings who now are demonic and can probably bust into Heaven.

Overall I think this single event got me back into this arc. I was kinda just not feeling it at first, it seemed strange that we had basically a new cast being the main characters, and Tarot being really the only original cast member (Keene I guess too). But this is a nice turn if events and it opens up a lot of potential. So kudos to Rick for calling back to TC2, and now it’s time for me to carefully think about what will happen when NegaBreel and Breel meet! :D

P.S. if I repeated what people said above too bad I had to write this out somewhere and gosh darn it this is the best place to do it!
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

D-Rock wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:16 am Well, it was explained that a person's good and bad parts are split upon death.
TheOne wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:13 am Okay, questions: Since they've said that Heaven is timeless, is Heck also timeless?
If Heck is timeless, Peanut could meet a demon version of himself. Spoilers everywhere!
They ALL could meet demon versions of themselves born from their dark sides...oh, boy...Nega-Breel just opened the floodgates for a whole "confront your demons...literally!" storyline for everyone!

Perhaps not in the immediate future...but eventually.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

The Blue Fox wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:39 pm
TheOne wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:13 am Okay, questions: Since they've said that Heaven is timeless, is Heck also timeless?
If Heck is timeless, Peanut could meet a demon version of himself. Spoilers everywhere!
They ALL could meet demon versions of themselves born from their dark sides...oh, boy...Nega-Breel just opened the floodgates for a whole "confront your demons...literally!" storyline for everyone!

Except for Bino :P His demon self is probably 100-times more nicer then him.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

SeanWolf wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:52 pm
The Blue Fox wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 3:39 pm

Except for Bino :P His demon self is probably 100-times more nicer then him.
And Duchess, she’s worse than Bino, really.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

VoidGaming404 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:47 am This makes me think... If all of the demons are the Denizens of Heaven, who is Eudoant? My guess is Great Kitsune, which has some serious implications of bad if they get time to actually set up fully...
Kind of makes sense since GK is the only other character to have broken the 4th wall. Tarot did too i think, but Iit was after he pointed it out
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Sir Chestnut wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:40 pm
VoidGaming404 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:47 am This makes me think... If all of the demons are the Denizens of Heaven, who is Eudoant? My guess is Great Kitsune, which has some serious implications of bad if they get time to actually set up fully...
Kind of makes sense since GK is the only other character to have broken the 4th wall. Tarot did too i think, but Iit was after he pointed it out
Imagine if...*shudders*...Eudoant is actually Tarot.