2020/12/21 - Booted To Lobby

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

2020/12/21 - Booted To Lobby

Post by Obbl »

[ Booted To Lobby ]

Title Text: "isn't this also jarring" "eh"

I'm not sure whether to laugh or cry, so both?
Harry Johnathan

Re: 2020/12/21 - Booted To Lobby

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Cue everyone and everything blaming Fox for ruining their "vacation".
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It looks like they only pulled Fox out, so everyone else is probably still unaware
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Wait, how can GK be concerned about Fox's problem when he's got an even BIGGER one looming over Babylon Gardens at the moment?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

MrBlueSky7 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:08 am Wait, how can GK be concerned about Fox's problem when he's got an even BIGGER one looming over Babylon Gardens at the moment?
Seeing the big picture doesn't stop him seeing the small ones. (Ever seen 'picture in picture' on the telly?)

Heavenly denial works to a clock
and sometimes you need to time out.
Kit knows when you’ve had much too much
and when it has to be ‘last shout’.
It’s time to sit and think, my friend
on the things you’re now running to.
You can’t hide in Heaven forever;
it’s a truth that you’ve not thought through.
Pulling the mat from under paws;
helping to keep the Mortal sane.
Bahamut taking tips on board
in case of doing it again...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

I wonder I wonder, who's gonna come and talk to him
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gbr23 wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 1:49 am I wonder I wonder, who's gonna come and talk to him
Sabrina's always been helpful..........
Harry Johnathan

Maybe Mungo.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

This needs hold muzak :D
Disproportionately Dappled
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

This might be one of the saddest pages in the comic. Fox hasn't done anything wrong, he just understood too well what was happening and planned to take it to extremes. Hopefully, things start looking up soon for him.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Can't believe the words are coming out of my mouth, but for once? I agree with Kitsune. Too much of anything is never a good thing and Fox was a prime example of this. Honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if we find Tarot there as well as she didn't seem to be all the keen on a Vacation In Paradise while the Celestials deal with Steward's foul-up.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Argent

Post by Argent »

I'm calling it, Kitsune is being a jerk. They didn't kick him out after what was like subjective months of it before, and he didn't break.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Harry Johnathan

Argent wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:35 am I'm calling it, Kitsune is being a jerk. They didn't kick him out after what was like subjective months of it before, and he didn't break.
Yeah, but before he wasn't contemplating killing himself and didn't scream at his best friend.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I was kinda hoping to see how some of the other characters envisioned Heaven. Oh, well, what the h....oops. :oops:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Fox really wants to jump into the heaven pudding that badly, huh?

Something tells me the last panel is Heaven putting him somewhere where he needs to be, but I wonder... could be unexpectedly be put into Eudoant's position.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

Fox willingly goes to therapy, gets a few hours of reprieve from his anxiety, and the people who want to listen his problems aren't given five minutes to talk about them once he is ready, his therapist would rather say cliches and seemingly avoid having earnest conservation to save his own feelings and Heaven threw him out when that didn't work for some reason.

The fantasy part was an island resort without the resort. Not particularly indulgent when the default seems to be a resort.

If they wanted to preserve his sanity, taking the person who is now switching between anxious and calm and isolating him from the people he cares about to let him stew in the emotions you dredged up from under his anxiety is probably not the best way to handle it. That is probably how you get the person with a hero complex to do something stupid.

I await to see if this is some 4d chess or not.
Cloudspots

Post by Cloudspots »

Everyone supposedly wants to help Fox, but they are doing an appallingly bad job of it.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I do admit to some minor concern that Bahamut is taking counsel from Kitsune given that we've already established that GK is responsible for a large part of this mess. Has Bahamut got some "larger plan in mind"?

Poor Fox - sometimes he just seems like a more articulate and repressed Daffy Duck, just made to be messed with. We love yah, big guy.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Maybe Fox needs a one on one with the Wind Fish.
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

yeahhh, this one was cruel. Fox seems like the character that is just not allowed to be happy, because when he finds something that DOES make him happy, it'snottheway its meant to be, and there for, not allowed.
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster
Were Jack

Post by Were Jack »

Actually... Fox has a problem and want to just have happiness. When he actually gets one, he is thrown out of it. I know he was so extreme, but so was Kitsune/Bahamut, who just kicked him from heaven. They could, I dunno, just tell him that he has to return but let him at least enjoy few moments.
Doing what they do could lead him to literal depression. His happiness was denied and now he should feel so much sorrow that his dreams just poofed like that. They should explain him, take him on the ground, but not hit him with all the anti-happiness. Also I bet he would eventually change his mind if left alone like that. He would think of King or maybe King would search for him and tell him that he should come back etc. But doing that was just the worst they could possibly do. Unless they want him to commit suicide. And this wouldn't be good. I remember the part when one of the ferrets said that they want to be dead, listening to, I think Breel (and Breel said that in a manner that sounded cool, how it is to be dead). I think it could have been Lana, but I'm not sure.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

It's always true that the good things end too soon... :( All because of Mungo, probably, but careful with that you're saying, Fox, or you could be misunderstood... :roll: I'd say that now it's too much to ask, yes. ;) Eh, you're so right, Great Kitsune... :| Aww, poor Fox, that looks like a punishment to him, forced to wait till they'll finish on earth... Practically he went from Heaven to Purgatory. :P :lol: Well, Bahamut and the other demigods, hurry up with sending the demons back from where they came. :)
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Between what Fox says in the first panel and what he’s said in the prior pages, I think that Fox has a case of toxic masculinity. This likely comes from the way that certain characters have rubbed off on him/influenced him in some bad ways, as well as being a part of the K-9’s and the sort of power that brings with it. That’s definitely something that he’s gonna need to shake off, for two reasons: 1) It will help him find a romantic partner if he sheds his ludicrous sense of entitlement and learns more humility, and 2) When he does kick the bucket for real, whenever that is, I’m not sure he can get to Heaven if he’s had that same attitude for years and potentially hurt people because of it. This is why I think long-term, the story will have Fox leave the K-9’s and seek out more meaningful and fulfilling work elsewhere.

Short-term, since we prolly only have two pages left if Rick is indeed stopping at Christmas, I think he’s going to get a stern talking to of some sort by someone in the Heaven Offices, or wherever he is, and then it’ll be revealed that he has to help Kitsune with Steward and Eudoant, maybe alongside a couple other characters.

Also, regarding Kitsune showing up when he’s supposedly trying to solve the demon problem on Earth: I think it could be that, since (if I recall correctly) Celestials have a non-linear concept of time, they view time more as a “where” than a “when” and this is the same Kitsune, but from another point. At least, I think that’s how it works...
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

I have a prediction that makes a large degree of sense to me regarding how this arc will go and affect future arcs. It would involve more supernatural elements, biasing me towards it but I am not sure I would fully like this direction, because if I am right, I would have a far lower opinion of GK.

Because, what I predict is GK is attempting to start a new campaign of UnU, partially because he is a nerd but also because I believe it is partially a measure to help angels fight demons based on its description in the trial in heaven arc.

Where I start to take issue Kitsune if I am right is that it seems in this light, he has been conspiring to target Fox to become his avatar. It would explain his sudden aversion to mortals in heaven, despite Fox's previous stay, which he later recounted as dream-like, which since that is an option, seems to negate his concern. He needed mortals around to become his champion.

It explains why Fox had a frankly terrible therapy visit when Heaven should know better and was pulled away right as he was starting to talk with his issues to someone who would listen. Fox needed to be moved to somewhere physically and emotionally where he would willingly go to earth and choose to be Kitsune's avatar. I am not sure why Fox, possibly just because of the pun, but he would be an easy target. He can offer him literally everything he wants: to be useful and access to Spring and Summer.

That is a pretty specific theory, so I wouldn't be surprised if I am off-based but a more general feeling I have is that I don't think Fox's problems are going to get better any time soon. If there was a place in the story for Fox to start self-improvement, it seems like it would be on that beach talking to Summer and Spring. I imagine things will get a lot worse for poor ole Fox before they get better.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

I could definitely see Kitsune assembling a team of Avatars to fight Eudont. Fox would be a pretty good recruit. Getting Tarot back on board would require a bit of talking since she'd probably be pretty reluctant to work with the Celestials again, but it would make sense to use her since she's the most experienced. I can't see him trying to recruit Bailey now that she has a family though, I think even Pete would know better.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm going to go with my theory that they pulled Fox out of Heaven because they were worried about him when he said he wanted to stay and that forcing him to go at the end would lead to him trying to go out in a blaze of glory if only so he could return.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Leotamer wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 5:42 pmBecause, what I predict is GK is attempting to start a new campaign of UnU, partially because he is a nerd but also because I believe it is partially a measure to help angels fight demons based on its description in the trial in heaven arc.

Where I start to take issue Kitsune if I am right is that it seems in this light, he has been conspiring to target Fox to become his avatar. It would explain his sudden aversion to mortals in heaven, despite Fox's previous stay, which he later recounted as dream-like, which since that is an option, seems to negate his concern. He needed mortals around to become his champion.
I can see Fox becoming GK's avatar, but I don't see him starting up another U&U game. The game is, if I recall, supposed to train them to fight demons, not necessarily a tool to fight them with. The make-someone-your-avatar power is something that definitely has to exist outside of the game as well, and is in U&U to help Celestials practice with using that power.

My guess is that Fox will become GK's avatar, and possibly another character or two, if GK's powers have grown strong enough to where he can supply multiple animals with the power. I'd like to see Marion & Lois as well, but I feel like more main arcs for them are going to be saved for later, so my guess will go with Craig & Draig for additional avatars.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If that is the case I hope he either ages them or gives back their original forms because the thought of two young kits fighting really disturbs me. :?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:43 pm If that is the case I hope he either ages them or gives back their original forms because the thought of two young kits fighting really disturbs me. :?

Perhaps, but they aren't really kits. They are demigods. I'm not sure that they can even die until they are 60 years old or more. I wouldn't fall off my chair if they ended up fighting and even with their old power, but in these bodies.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:08 pm
Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 6:43 pm If that is the case I hope he either ages them or gives back their original forms because the thought of two young kits fighting really disturbs me. :?

Perhaps, but they aren't really kits. They are demigods. I'm not sure that they can even die until they are 60 years old or more. I wouldn't fall off my chair if they ended up fighting and even with their old power, but in these bodies.
Yeah, I can see them getting their memories back and a good bunch of their powers, but staying in their kit forms. And I bet they'd be summoning T-Rexes and other Imaginate! stuff to attack instead of them fighting solo.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote: Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:19 pm
Yeah, I can see them getting their memories back and a good bunch of their powers, but staying in their kit forms. And I bet they'd be summoning T-Rexes and other Imaginate! stuff to attack instead of them fighting solo.
Might be intersting to see them using some of thier (limited) time on Earth as mortals as inspiration for battling demons. Perhaps even deciding to stay mortal for a few decades even if offered a reprive.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Demon fighters ... that would be ... hmmmmmmm.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would really love to see the two of them as demon fighters and eventually fight themselves when they are old enough. It might make Olive begin to like Craig even more and find him appealing. XD
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

This one just makes me mad as Heck. Literally no one has given Fox the genuine time and ear that he needs, except possibly Spring and Summer, but even they were literally stolen from him. If I was in Fox's position, I'd be freaking suicidal. No more holding back; he's held back and been held back for far too long! For every arc he's been in, he's always been given the short straw. One can only accept so much 💩 before one mentally snaps. If it was me, this would be my breaking point. Kick me out of Heaven? NO! I'm NOT staying here on this godforsaken hunk of space debris!

Time to visit the Grand Canyon. Quickly, and no screaming on the way down.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Harry Johnathan

TheOne wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:42 am This one just makes me mad as Heck. Literally no one has given Fox the genuine time and ear that he needs, except possibly Spring and Summer, but even they were literally stolen from him. If I was in Fox's position, I'd be freaking suicidal. No more holding back; he's held back and been held back for far too long! For every arc he's been in, he's always been given the short straw. One can only accept so much 💩 before one mentally snaps. If it was me, this would be my breaking point. Kick me out of Heaven? NO! I'm NOT staying here on this godforsaken hunk of space debris!

Sir, this is a Wendy's. (It does speak of Rick's prowress as a writer to stir... this reaction to a fictional character's plight though.)

Also, if Fox kills himself he'd end up somewhere that, for all intents and purposes, is NOT Heaven. (Though that may be muddied up somewhat by the fact that that same... ahem, "place" is literally invading Earth as we speak.)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:44 am
TheOne wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 10:42 am This one just makes me mad as Heck. Literally no one has given Fox the genuine time and ear that he needs, except possibly Spring and Summer, but even they were literally stolen from him. If I was in Fox's position, I'd be freaking suicidal. No more holding back; he's held back and been held back for far too long! For every arc he's been in, he's always been given the short straw. One can only accept so much 💩 before one mentally snaps. If it was me, this would be my breaking point. Kick me out of Heaven? NO! I'm NOT staying here on this godforsaken hunk of space debris!

Sir, this is a Wendy's. (It does speak of Rick's prowress as a writer to stir... this reaction to a fictional character's plight though.)

Also, if Fox kills himself he'd end up somewhere that, for all intents and purposes, is NOT Heaven. (Though that may be muddied up somewhat by the fact that that same... ahem, "place" is literally invading Earth as we speak.)
I don't disagree that Fox, as we see him in the last panel, is at the lowest point he has ever been. He had everything he ever wanted, and it was taken from him. If this was the end of the story for him, I'd be a bit ticked myself.

But I doubt this is where we are going to leave Fox, even if we shift to other characters for a while. I would not be surprised if he has been set up to be an action hero, for real on Earth, helping to fight off the hordes of Heck that threaten his town.

At worst, I think he's going to find himself in sympathetic company.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Maybe chill? The story isn’t over. Besides, conflict, even that which seems unfair, is a common part of the story.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Watch Fox become the hero that ends up saving the world from the invading forces that are going on and banishing back to where they came from and then be SMOTHERED by hordes of adoring females. :lol:
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah, bringing a character to a low point is a common story-telling device. We're allowed to feel sympathy with Fox, in fact it's encouraged, and reading this comic as a serial on an update by update basis and feeling for Fox over such an extended time can be hard on a person, but this isn't the end of Fox's story. His character arc has places to go.
Feeling hurt causes us to want to be angry at someone, but airing that anger prematurely just causes more hurt in others. It's why I continue to recommend waiting until the end of the arc to air grievances. The fuller the picture of the situation and motivations we have, the better we can have a nuanced discussion of what courses of action we would have preffered to see taken, how character's choices and responses shaped the way the story played out, and who (if anyone)'s "to blame" for any of it
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Too much? Yeah, Fox, it is a bit,
But GK doesn't care a whit
About being gentle on the ending,
The reality unbending.

Will Fox be who brings it down?
Or will the tan fox be the bigger clown?
And what's clear through all this strife-
Fox, well, he really hates his life.

He doesn't want to go on, that's clear,
And letting it go is GK's fear
That it'll all go to the husky's head,
And ba-boom, he'll wind up dead.

But that's the flip side, not the truth,
And Kitsune's actions were uncouth,
Fox had it all, he had it made,
And the piper, well, hasn't been paid.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!