2020/12/16 - Midnight Snack

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2020/12/16 - Midnight Snack

Post by D-Rock »

[2020/12/16 - Midnight Snack]
Title Text: don't have to ask where that coconut came from

Oh, no! That poor, poor coconut... :cry:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2020/12/16 - Midnight Snack

Post by Gbr23 »

Climbing a tree to get away from Mungo... yeah not the best strategy imo
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I'm not sure that Mungo would even notice getting hit by that thing.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Well at least they will have an open coconut to eat in a few seconds. :lol:
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I wonder how long it'll take for Fox to just lose his temper and yell for Mungo to go away?

Chucking a coconut at him is certainly getting there. Even though, with them being in Heaven, that probably wouldn't hurt even if Mungo wasn't super-doggedly tough.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Gasp! It's a dog that can climb trees!

...is that his police training or Heaven physics?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Here, catch this, mighty one below,
I don’t want to talk shop with you.
I don’t want to discuss myself
and what I know I’m going through.
You’re being a pain, my big friend,
even though you just want to help;
I just don’t want to talk about
what’s making me feel like a whelp.
I want so much more from my life
but I don’t know who, what or where.
The only friends I have are… unique
So tell me, friend. Why do you care?
Most take my line and let me go
but you pursue the truth so hard.
Why can’t you just let me lie?
You’re not getting in, past my guard...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

dr_eirik wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:08 am I'm not sure that Mungo would even notice getting hit by that thing.
What if there's a reason Mungo goaded at Boris to punch him in the gut and not the face?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sorry ... but persistent. You have to admire that kind of ... No, actually, you don't. I'm beginning to wonder if Fox is somehow in the "other place" .....

Or maybe this is the cue for his Mom to show up. Always did want to find out how her last chat with Fox went.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

West, Fox essentially expressed a wish to be dead. Mungo's concern and persistence is entirely well-intentioned and even reasonable (despite his lack of finesse)
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Sheesh, Fox. At least give Mungo a chance. Same time, pretty sure that coconut is gonna be annihilated the second it hits Mungo's head instead of knocking him out.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Hagus

Post by Hagus »

Everyone is talking about how good Mungo is for trying to give Fox therapy in Heaven, which is fair. However, we need to consider that it’s possible Fox was just speaking in the moment. Mungo is pushing Fox and he’s ruining the time when Fox has never been happier. It’s good he wants to help, but he’s doing it wrong. He doesn’t seem to be the best at picking up cues from Fox either. I think Mungo is gonna be the driving force that makes Fox the “heavendropper”. And if something happens to Fox while he’s on Earth after that then he’ll feel guilty for pushing Fox away from Heaven and his fantasy.

Fox has a right to be upset as well. Mungo legit called a fantasy he had “delusional”. I would probably get a bit mad if I told someone what the perfect day for me would be and then they just called it delusional. He is trying to enjoy himself, and I highly doubt he meant what he said about staying forever. Just the raw emotion talking.
Last edited by Hagus on Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:39 am, edited 1 time in total.
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

Sometimes I wonder if the entire universe is just conspiring to make Fox miserable.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Rydr Warklub wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:38 am Sometimes I wonder if the entire universe is just conspiring to make Fox miserable.
No, FOX is conspiring to make Fox miserable. He just doesn't know how he's doing it, that he's doing it and how he can stop it.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Harry Johnathan

Post by Harry Johnathan »

No, FOX is conspiring to make Fox miserable. He just doesn't know how he's doing it, that he's doing it and how he can stop it.
Good point.
Sarah was afraid, so she lied and said, “I did not laugh.” But [The LORD] said, “Yes, you did laugh.” - Genesis 18:15 (NIV).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Epiphany! It's a "Heavenly solution situation". Mungo has Fox entrapped in a tree and gets to interrogate him incessantly while Fox has an endless supply of coconuts to hurl in response. ;)

Rick, you're a genius!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Hagus wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:28 am Fox has a right to be upset as well. Mungo legit called a fantasy he had “delusional”. I would probably get a bit mad if I told someone what the perfect day for me would be and then they just called it delusional.
See, my problem isn't so much people recognizing that Mungo is doing a poor job of helping or that he's potentially getting in the way of Fox's current good time that he was having. But when you gotta grasp at straws like this, it's kinda like maybe you don't have such a great rationalization :P This is literally a fake scenario, which Fox was all about calling it out for until he realized that "fake" doesn't mean "not fun". Mungo calling it delusion therapy is not what is bothering Fox.
In fact, what is bothering Fox seems to be a general dissatisfaction with life, which he is currently trying to hide from. Not that that's a bad thing every now and again (heaven knows I do), but Fox doesn't want to deal with his actual issues, and it seems to be getting in the way of him living his best life (a fact which has been pretty well established in the comic up till now).
Mungo is coming at this like a machete in a surgery room, and his timing could probably use some work, but he's genuinely concerned for Fox, and Fox genuinely needs help at some point. If people wanna fault Mungo for bothering Fox while Fox was having a good time, sure, but why do some people (not necessarily Hagus) feel the need to drag Mungo to heck and back for it?

Anyway, definitely enjoying the coconut to the head here. Excellent form :D
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Obbl wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 8:50 am
Hagus wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 7:28 am Fox has a right to be upset as well. Mungo legit called a fantasy he had “delusional”. I would probably get a bit mad if I told someone what the perfect day for me would be and then they just called it delusional.
See, my problem isn't so much people recognizing that Mungo is doing a poor job of helping or that he's potentially getting in the way of Fox's current good time that he was having. But when you gotta grasp at straws like this, it's kinda like maybe you don't have such a great rationalization :P This is literally a fake scenario, which Fox was all about calling it out for until he realized that "fake" doesn't mean "not fun". Mungo calling it delusion therapy is not what is bothering Fox.
In fact, what is bothering Fox seems to be a general dissatisfaction with life, which he is currently trying to hide from. Not that that's a bad thing every now and again (heaven knows I do), but Fox doesn't want to deal with his actual issues, and it seems to be getting in the way of him living his best life (a fact which has been pretty well established in the comic up till now).
Mungo is coming at this like a machete in a surgery room, and his timing could probably use some work, but he's genuinely concerned for Fox, and Fox genuinely needs help at some point. If people wanna fault Mungo for bothering Fox while Fox was having a good time, sure, but why do some people (not necessarily Hagus) feel the need to drag Mungo to heck and back for it?

Anyway, definitely enjoying the coconut to the head here. Excellent form :D
That's honestly been bugging me as well. Fox was never really my favorite character and you hit the nail on the head why I don't like him: He's never happy and, in my eyes, wants to be the hero and, when it doesn't go his way, he's all mopey and, as seen in a previous strip, wants to stay in Heaven as there? He has his happy ending.

It's funny, but Fox reminds me alot of Handsome Jack's story from the Borderlands games: He wants to genuinely do good and wants to be the hero, but he does it in a way that pleases and suits him more and, in the end, makes him the hero. Instead, when he tries (the Tales From The K9(?) arc comes to mind here), it backfires and something happens (in Jack's case, Lilith embeds the Vault Symbol into his face then he dies in BL2). I'm not saying Fox is gonna die any time, but it does seem like Fox isn't happy unless he does something that makes him, again, a hero and if that means dying in the line of duty and earning his place in Heaven, then so be it.

This is where Mungo enters the picture. Folks here are giving him flack for encroaching on his "paradise", but really look at it. Fox really isn't happy still and Mungo just wants to get Fox to stop believing and living in fantasies, which includes this Temporary Slice Of Heaven going on, and live in the real world. Sure, Mungo does need a bit of help with the therapy, but you can tell his heart is in the right place and he wants to help Fox, but Fox? Fox doesn't want help as, to him, he has his happiness now and he wants nothing more then to stay there, even if that means giving up his mortality.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Leotamer

Post by Leotamer »

While I think some of Fox's problems are him tripping over his feet, I don't think all of them are. He is probably the most isolated dog, his only real companions at this point are King and Bailey, who are married with children, and Spring and Summer, who live in heaven. And his whole thing is that he wants to be the hero, and while he tied in the cosmic nerd plot, I dont believe he ever got any closure on it.

Think what his own slice of paradise is, being alone with two people he knows like him and that have nothing better to do than give him their attention. Fox knows the island is a back-drop. It seems there mostly to just enhance the experience.

I think Mungo is nice enough, but I don't his dynamic with Fox. As I think this comic shows, at this point, Fox needs a friend, not someone to throw stock therapy questions at him.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Normally a coconut to the head from that height would kill you. Good thing they’re already in heaven!
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Douglas Collier wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 10:24 am Normally a coconut to the head from that height would kill you. Good thing they’re already in heaven!
It would kill a normal mortal, but this is Mungo. He once lifted a limo. I'm not sure a coconut to the dome is enough to even get his attention.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Leotamer wrote: Wed Dec 16, 2020 9:44 am I think Mungo is nice enough, but I don't his dynamic with Fox. As I think this comic shows, at this point, Fox needs a friend, not someone to throw stock therapy questions at him.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree there. Mungo's heart is in the right place, but he needs to learn to how to really take hints, and that if you try too hard to help someone, you're only going to succeed in pushing them away. People don't tend to react well when emotional help is practically forced upon them. Even if they need it. Especially if they need it.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ouch, eheh. :D Good move, Fox, hopefully the coconut should knock him out, but knowing Mungo's strength, it's hard that'll happen... :roll: Or maybe, the head is his weak point? :P That's really too much, Mungo, I agree with Fox, you're always following him now... :|
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

I read all the posts above- and yeah, option D, all of the above. I feel like Fox really just wants his life to be that summer action blockbuster and that he doesn't feel like it's worth it when he can't be large and in charge. I also appreciate what Mungo's trying to do, because his heart is in the right place, but he's way too blunt for it to really do any good... those're just my $.02.

Mungo- NO MORE CLICHES! Be done,
Fox isn't okay, he's had no fun.
In fact, he's about ready to be done with life,
And you're not helping his internal strife.

The Dane means well, but he's a pest,
The coconut thrown proves all the rest,
But if you're going to just spout cliche,
Mungo, please, just stay away.

Fox, you're not excused here from some blame,
This may be heaven, but it's no game,
Your problems are there and they're real,
As much as you wish you can't feel.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

It's stimulating and delightful to belong to a community where the members enjoy sharing a particular world together and care passionately about its characters.

Perhaps more than any other character, Fox inspires compassion, warmth, and some controversy. We all seem to feel that, at some level, Fox is unhappy, alienated, maybe even a little despondent. Unlike other Housepets who are comically misfit like Tiger, Bino, or Duchess, we often find ourselves identifying with Fox and his emotional unease. He also has many virtues - loyalty, diligence, a strong sense of justice, of what's right and wrong, and a desire to better himself. He is also indecisive, insecure, conflicted, dreaming of self-exaltation and haunted by doubts and rudderless impulsiveness. In short, as huskies go, Fox is a pretty human guy.

....... and we all seem to agree that he would benefit from professional counseling. That puts us in accord with Mungo, Summer, Spring, and Fox himself. The questions in this arc are three. Is this "Heavenly Dome-inion" the place to explore resolving those problems or is being in that transported situation itself the ultimate healing he needs? Wanting to remain in Heaven strikes me as less of a "death wish" than a rational gamble on a new beginning...even if its chances of success extend over an eternity to resolve. Secondly, does a professional relationship with Mungo offer the best opportunity for Fox to explore his issues? Third, does Fox get to be in charge of this grand counseling endeavor or must his self-exploration, like so much else in his life, be determined by what well-meaning others are certain they know is best for him? As to those two questions, I'm done tangoing in that minefield for this panel. ;) Others can tease those issues better.

In the meantime, Fox, go back and apologize to Fido, send flowers to Sabrina and Grape, leave the K9s and become a gym teacher, get Rex to give you some cooking lessons, take a drama class from Peanut and be in the next "Imaginate", be a good uncle but spend a little less time with King, hang out with Miles, go hang-gliding, renew your library card, and ask Daisy out on a date.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You know if I were Fox and I was dealing with Mungo right now like him I would promise Mungo I would go back as long as he left me and my girlfriends in peace.
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Does Fox have mommy issues?

Also, did Mungo just make a "Your Mom" joke?
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Not that we’ve been made aware of. I think that Mungo is just going down the list of psychiatrist tropes.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Lord knows that there are a LOT of them.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

FireworkFox wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 12:18 am Does Fox have mommy issues?

Wouldn't be surprising if his mom actually makes an appearance since Fox saw her last time he went to Heaven. Would be an interesting insight to not only Fox's past, but a bit of the universe itself. We have no idea what a "normal" parent/child relationship for pets is like in the HP universe other than that they are usually separated at an early age like IRL. The only parent/child relationships we've seen are King's family, the The Wolfs(Feral) and Custom Ink & Tum (Feral), Kix Craig & Draig (mostly feral).
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sir Chestnut wrote: Thu Dec 17, 2020 3:26 pm

Wouldn't be surprising if his mom actually makes an appearance since Fox saw her last time he went to Heaven. Would be an interesting insight to not only Fox's past, but a bit of the universe itself. We have no idea what a "normal" parent/child relationship for pets is like in the HP universe other than that they are usually separated at an early age like IRL. The only parent/child relationships we've seen are King's family, the The Wolfs(Feral) and Custom Ink & Tum (Feral), Kix Craig & Draig (mostly feral).
That would be an enjoyable and intriguing twist.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I definitely wouldn't mind it if Rick went that route because it would be really cool!
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Fox saw his mother? I... don't recall that. Can you please show the the comic where it happened?
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

The only grandparents we've seen were in the wolf families - and they're off stage verry long time.

We did meet Keene's mom - be fun to see her again, too - maybe with Fox's mater.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

FireworkFox wrote: Tue Dec 22, 2020 6:49 pm Fox saw his mother? I... don't recall that. Can you please show the the comic where it happened?
That'd be here :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just a completely out of left field question and I know nobody probably knows the answer but since Fox and Bailey are biological first cousins, are they first cousins through Fox's dad or his mom? (which means his mom would be Bailey's aunt.)
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Wed Dec 23, 2020 12:54 am Just a completely out of left field question and I know nobody probably knows the answer but since Fox and Bailey are biological first cousins, are they first cousins through Fox's dad or his mom? (which means his mom would be Bailey's aunt.)
Don't think it's been mentioned. Fox is a purebred Alaskan Husky and Bailey is a Siberian-Alaskan Husky mix, but I don't think which parent was which has been specified.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Come to think of it, I don't even know if they were biological first cousins or adoptive first cousins because Bill's sibling was Bailey's first owner. I think that they are biologically first cousins but don't quote me on that. Anyway they are adoptive brother and sister now so its moot.