2020/12/09 - But You Can’t Stay Here

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2020/12/09 - But You Can’t Stay Here

Post by D-Rock »

[2020/12/09 - But You Can’t Stay Here]
Title Text: surprise! There's actually a plot here!

I mean, if his problems have a tendency of smacking him upfront, I wouldn't blame a want for escapism every now and then.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
CuriousCnidarian

Re: 2020/12/09 - But You Can’t Stay Here

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Mungo spending his heavenly vacation being a therapist does not surprise me in the least. And I guarantee at least one person will use Fox's face in the last panel as a pfp at some point.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Suddenly, Mungo.

Btw, last time I said Fox was not going to be the Heavendropper. I retract.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

I wonder if Mungo got the chance to meet up with his Ancestors first before he started to work with Spring and Summer on this little plan of his...
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I was not expecting this plot, but I am so hype for this plot :D
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Mungo being a heaven therapist makes so much sense.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Well, you really can’t blame him
for really wanting to stay here.
It’s what had Kitsune concerned;
just how good the place would appear.
Sometimes you just need a good friend
to warn you not to accept fate;
of course you might not hear their voice
if they appear during your date.
Mungo’s heaven works with our Fox,
and he has the need to assist.
Just look at that happy face;
how can anyone resist?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, stuck on an island with Captain Killjoy. One person's Heaven is another person's ... um ... Purgatory. Mr. Dante, Mr. Milton, call your offices, please.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Wed Dec 09, 2020 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

IceKitsune wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 1:16 am Mungo being a heaven therapist makes so much sense.
And being, essentially, a guerrilla therapist makes sense, too.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I think everyone would love a therapist like Mungo :)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Argent

Post by Argent »

From last strip:
Hagus wrote: Mon Dec 07, 2020 9:54 am I’m super excited that Fox is finally content for once in his life. Seriously, he needed it and deserved it.
You had to jinx it. :)
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:04 am I think everyone would love a therapist like Mungo :)
Perhaps ... but this therapeutic technique borders on an ambush. Still, all three of them concur that this what our harried husky needs. Poor lad.
Cloudspots

Post by Cloudspots »

Even in Heaven, there are **** moves.

(I know Mungo's intentions are pure. But.)
Last edited by D-Rock on Wed Dec 09, 2020 11:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Please censor the entire word.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Aha. Rick fooled me :3

Though I like where this is going. I'm convinced a romance isn't what Fox is looking for at this point. Fix it, Mungo-senpai!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Hagus

Post by Hagus »

I’m just gonna say it. I knew Mungo was gonna show up, and we all know this is gonna lead to one of two thing.

Fox being more sad than he was.
Fox hooking up with Mungo.

I was really hoping I would be wrong and it would end with Fox just being happy, but it’s not that simple is it :P
I do not like the Fungo ship (Fox x Mungo for those who don’t know). Like, it is the only ship I do not like I’m pretty sure, and I feel very strongly about it. I know discord is probably different than here, but I feel like I’m the only person who is against it. Why do I think they’re gonna hook up in the end? Because it’s literally the perfect storm for it. Fox talks about his feelings, Mungo makes him realize “oh I like Mungo” (even though I believe he just gets easily flustered and doesn’t actually feel attracted to Mungo) and then Mungo and Fox hook up and happily ever after or something. The alternative is Fox realizing his relationship with Spring and Summer won’t work, and Fox feels super alone and sad. They can’t come back from Heaven with Fox, and Fox can’t stay in Heaven. We’ll see what happens but I have been very accurate when I predict Housepets normally.
(I predicted Steward working with Trinket to bankrupt Keene after the 4th strip of My Life As a Teenage Squirrel).
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Hagus wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:46 am I’m just gonna say it. I knew Mungo was gonna show up, and we all know this is gonna lead to one of two thing.

I was really hoping I would be wrong and it would end with Fox just being happy, but it’s not that simple is it :P
I do not like the Fungo ship (Fox x Mungo for those who don’t know). Like, it is the only ship I do not like I’m pretty sure, and I feel very strongly about it. I know discord is probably different than here, but I feel like I’m the only person who is against it. Why do I think they’re gonna hook up in the end? Because it’s literally the perfect storm for it. Fox talks about his feelings, Mungo makes him realize “oh I like Mungo” (even though I believe he just gets easily flustered and doesn’t actually feel attracted to Mungo) and then Mungo and Fox hook up and happily ever after or something. The alternative is Fox realizing his relationship with Spring and Summer won’t work, and Fox feels super alone and sad. They can’t come back from Heaven with Fox, and Fox can’t stay in Heaven. We’ll see what happens but I have been very accurate when I predict Housepets normally.
(I predicted Steward working with Trinket to bankrupt Keene after the 4th strip of My Life As a Teenage Squirrel).
Shipping, unfortunately, is far too easy a trick to fall into as a fan and as a writer. We care about the characters, we like seeing them happy. This character makes the character happy so we can't see them as just being friends, they have to have feelings for each other.

Over on the Media Median, I've been putting up a story that's featured a fair few characters, many of which have paired off. Of all of them there was a pair (one guy, one lady) who I wanted to just be friends. No interest in each other, just friends. Unfortunately this had the side effect that I couldn't actually have them in too many encounters during the events as their interactions would only have brought them closer than intended simply because they were the characters 'on screen'. The focus, so to speak, would have been on them. The emphasis on everything they're saying and the interpretations insinuating things that were never meant to be said. So they got less exposure than they should have. As it's a one-off story, I could get away with that.

Rick can't. It's an ensemble piece, going over years, and people are invested in the characters. For Fungo to end, Fox or Mungo needs to establish relations with another character and, unless it's a lesser used character like Daisy, that will probably involve a new character. And inventing a new character just to be a love interest? That can be a different can of trouble unless handled carefully, giving depth to the new character. Which takes time and exposure...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Spring and Summer could always incarnate. If Breel could here's no reason they can't.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:30 pm Spring and Summer could always incarnate. If Breel could here's no reason they can't.
Fox suggested it at the time but they didn't really respond. Its possible that they have been in Heaven so long that they would be lost on Earth.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
96N64player

Post by 96N64player »

Hagus wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 10:46 am I’m just gonna say it. I knew Mungo was gonna show up, and we all know this is gonna lead to one of two thing.

You're not the only one that feels that way.
Mungo's personality comes off as the type who wants to help people and it does look like to me that Fox, in his desire for love, could be misinterpreting Mungo's desire to help as romantic interest (and Mungo is oblivious to that). I think Mungo would have to explain to Fox that there is more to love than just self gratification, which is what it seems Fox wants. Love is a wonderful thing but it goes much deeper than superficial things like hugging and kissing (I Corinthians 13:4-7 comes to mind) and there is much more to life. That being said, I don't think that having Fox and Mungo pair up would properly solve Fox's problem. I think Fox has been sad long enough though for him to stay that way by the end of this arc, but we'll have to see what happens. ;)
Philippians 3:13
Brethren, I count not myself to have apprehended: but this one thing I do, forgetting those things which are behind, and reaching forth unto those things which are before,
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

dr_eirik wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:42 pm
Sir Chestnut wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 12:30 pm Spring and Summer could always incarnate. If Breel could here's no reason they can't.
Fox suggested it at the time but they didn't really respond. Its possible that they have been in Heaven so long that they would be lost on Earth.
Or maybe they aren't from Earth in the first place.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

There's been a lot of speculation about Fungo (or is it Mox?), partly inspired by (a) a desire so many of us have to see Fox paired up and "happy" and (b) for a trained, professional counselor, Mungo does seem to have an occasional problem with boundaries.

Again, Rick's been already to this well a couple of times (Fox + Spring + Summer + Mungo = Fox alone again ("naturally" - cue Gilbert O'Sullivan theme music!)). I never try to second guess the Rick-Master but I don't see this reversion playing out any differently; the Keene-Breel matchup already owns that thread. I'm still pretty much persuaded that Fox's place in the Housepet's cosmos is to remained the soul of constant, unarticulated longings.

But, the story's young. Let's just see. ;)
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

He's never going to go back, no not ever,
Fox sure thinks that he's real clever
And Mungo's a little over-the-top,
Impromptu therapy has to stop!

This vacation was too good to last,
A sweet and sour blast from the past,
You can't escape forever, the world
Might end with you and friends together curled.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ah! :o Why Mungo is there? :P Actually, when you talk about therapies, our strong and funny therapy dog must be present. ;) Those two huskies are so tender with Fox. :D What Mungo says is right, anyway: sooner or later you'll have to be back at your normal life and to your problems, Fox. :) All the good things come to an end... :|
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

He's helping. If he scares him to death he never has to leave. Clearly.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I am pretty sure that Fox is going to resent the intrusion into his date night with his girlfriends by Mungo since he wants to stay. Though he did go in there for therapy so naturally he is gonna have to actually talk to someone. LOL
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, since the 2 Heavenly Huskies did drop Fox a line to take Mungo up on the therapy offer, maybe the three of them will gang up on poor Fox. Then he'll get some idea of how the crab felt.....
Last edited by NHWestoN on Thu Dec 10, 2020 9:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Looks like I spoke too soon and we're gonna be keeping with Fox, and now Mungo has entered the fray!

I want Fox to be happy. When I saw his part in the Hot Springs arc, I felt really bad for him and I'm sure a lot of other people did as well. I think that Mungo and Fox would make a good couple, but of course nothing is written in stone. This could merely be a pivotal character moment for Fox. Rick might be writing this arc to where Fox comes out at bisexual, but doesn't necessarily get together with Mungo. And Mungo could be there to talk to Fox about how love is more than what you see on the surface, like what 96N64 said.

I'm curious to see what comes of this conversation between the two. And whatever the short-term or long-term plot holds for Fox and his romantic pursuits, I hope that however he ends up with someone, it's written well.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yeah no, I'm a shipper at heart and love the idea of Fox and Mungo together, but I also don't think that's actually best for them.
I'm really looking forward to seeing Mungo Spring and Summer help Fox work through his feelings and find a better sense of peace. Cause he needs it :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I was sort of thinking to myself and thought it would be REALLY funny if Fox decides to double-date Spring and Summer with Mungo. Though he would need to choose which one to date himself. :lol:
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

SeanWolf wrote: Wed Dec 09, 2020 7:04 am I think everyone would love a therapist like Mungo :)
Not me, not if he is going to get onto me for my choices, and ruin the scene for me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hey if he can help me overcome my severe OCD then I would be all for it.
VoidGaming404

Post by VoidGaming404 »

not now, Mungo xD
in all seriousness, I don't see the Mox/Fungo ship really working tbh.
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

ZAR22 wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 5:34 pm
Not me, not if he is going to get onto me for my choices, and ruin the scene for me.
I mean, that’s a shell that therapists might be needing to break through?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If it is causing issues in ones everyday life and preventing them from functioning efficiently I would say that they do need to break through it.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

D-Rock wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:32 pm
It may not be a shell at all, and some people want to know what TYPE of therapy they are getting themselves in before they go into it without thinking. Just because you expect one type, doesn't mean it's cool or nice to get baited into another...

Regardless of trying to help or not.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Thu Dec 10, 2020 10:32 pm
Crab shell?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm thinking that it might be just a big harder than a crab shell.