2020/09/28 - Fair And Balanced

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2020/09/28 - Fair And Balanced

Post by D-Rock »

[2020/09/28 - Fair And Balanced]
Title Text: repackaged news, for all the news you already saw on twitter

*yawn* Dumb talking points have gotten boring these days, haven't they?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2020/09/28 - Fair And Balanced

Post by Gbr23 »

Oh my oh my oh my, the name of the arc hasn't been released? this is a good one fam
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Hmm, now who could be behind this....?
Arc title's a secret Gabe...
--
I think the coin's been getting some use;
Lots of new animals are now on the loose,
And the animals will finally get a say,
But how'd it come to be this way?

Animals finally get full rights,
As long as they're quite tame,
But ambush questions lead to fights,
And who could be to blame?

More rights for all,
Less rights for none,
And the reporter's call...
Just seems real dumb.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Looks like we're back to the current big arc! And is it me or does the newscaster just scream "Future Badger".
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

dr_eirik wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:08 am Looks like we're back to the current big arc! And is it me or does the newscaster just scream "Future Badger".
Very much so, DrEirik...
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

After the breather arc with Spo you kind of knew something big was about to go down. On the one hand this is exciting to see the ECP make real progress. On the other hand Keene and Bino can now enter serious politics. The latter would be cute and funny...the former would be a bit of a scary propect though. Maybe they will elect Sgt. Ralph as the sheriff.
And is it me or does the newscaster just scream "Future Badger".
Probably not, the guy is just a parody of blowhard American talking heads on our cable news talk shows (I only now noticed "Talking Head" is his tag, nice). Kate Gelato seems artificial but likely not enough of a troublemaker to get zapped.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

There’s always pushback, Dear Lana,
from those who have something to lose.
In no fight for equality
do you escape without a bruise.
People can tear evil from good
and doubt your true sincerity.
They’re the voices to battle, dear,
to erase from posterity.
Some will support you all the way,
some will fear all that you will say.
You’re leading the way the dark.
The world turns with every remark...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I just hope Sasha is in the commercial.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Lana is doing an excellent job
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Hahaha! Aaah, I missed these kinds of political satire from Rick!

Oh, and Happy Belated Birthday to him.
I just narrowly missed it by almost a whole month.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
DDeer

Post by DDeer »

This is going to be interesting, intrigued to see how it all pans out, lots and lots of possibilities.
Disproportionately Dappled
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

dr_eirik wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 12:08 am Looks like we're back to the current big arc! And is it me or does the newscaster just scream "Future Badger".
Either that or a donkey :)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

I see a lot of problems with that.

Who decides who is domesticated and who is not. Now animals will be parted in 2 seperate factions (not domesticated and domesticated) with one having all the rights humans have, and the other basically none.

Are the wolfs considered domesticated? Can your domestication be revoked? Are only specific species being allowed to be domesticated? Will not make it a lot more problematic?

And I missed my 10 year anniversity on the forum... oh within the automobile.
AlKatze

Post by AlKatze »

Wow, this arc is gonna be interesting, we’ll see how the fight for equality all plays out.

Also, we now know that Babylon Gardens is East of the Mississippi River, since the TV frequency begins with a W
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Jakkal wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:28 am I see a lot of problems with that.

Who decides who is domesticated and who is not. Now animals will be parted in 2 seperate factions (not domesticated and domesticated) with one having all the rights humans have, and the other basically none.

Are the wolfs considered domesticated? Can your domestication be revoked? Are only specific species being allowed to be domesticated? Will not make it a lot more problematic?
It's not a perfect solution, but it is an improvement. It also opens the door to further improvement, which could help those groups later.

Reminds me of a discussion I had with my Dad about the British Empire's abolition of slavery. What happened was, we legally banned slavery and then gave compensation to the former slave owners. Sounds bad, right? Why not give that compensation to the slaves, who deserved it for what they went through?

Because it was the pragmatic solution - at the time, abolition was a popular position but not a guaranteed majority. Pro-slavery elements were just as powerful in Parliament, where the decision would be made. The only way to get them on board for abolition was to ensure that they would have the funding neccessary for their industries to transition from slavery to other labour.

The perfect moral solution simply wasn't feasible at the time, and quite possibly wouldn't have been for decades or centuries. Better to guarantee their freedom right then, even if the cost left a sour taste in the mouth.

To tie this back to the comic's plot: Yes, there are problems, and continuing efforts will need to address them. But right now, the situation for sapient animal rights is better than it ever has been, and that's worth being pleased about.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Jakkal wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:28 amWho decides who is domesticated and who is not.
Presumably the General Obedience Exam is the determiner of domestication for "wild animals" whereas more traditional pets are probably already classified as domesticated. The GOE has been the ferrets weapon of choice for exploiting legal loopholes from the beginning.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

... and where is River Ridge County? Could that answer hold all the answers to our questions of detail and nuance??

Meh, probably not. Let's just see where Rick takes us with this tantalizing overture. ;)
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

Obbl wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 am
Jakkal wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:28 amWho decides who is domesticated and who is not.
Presumably the General Obedience Exam is the determiner of domestication for "wild animals" whereas more traditional pets are probably already classified as domesticated. The GOE has been the ferrets weapon of choice for exploiting legal loopholes from the beginning.
I can see how some animals try to force their way into the domestic system. Bribing, blackmailing...

but this is housepets. I am pretty sure we won't need to deal with such levels of intrigue
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:52 am ... and where is River Ridge County? Could that answer hold all the answers to our questions of detail and nuance??

Meh, probably not. Let's just see where Rick takes us with this tantalizing overture. ;)
I'm certain that we will never really know. We already know that this isn't our Earth. So there could be subtle differences.

Another thought: A single county can't set the rules for citizenship. That has to be done at the Federal level. So this is either a stop gap due to the number of people transformed in this one county or this is a bigger program than it seems.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

NHWestoN wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:52 am ... and where is River Ridge County? Could that answer hold all the answers to our questions of detail and nuance??
East of the Mississippi, as a wise person said.

Alkatze anyway.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Really excited to see where this is going.

... Also~ *gets bazooka for his counterpoint*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

AlKatze wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:30 am Wow, this arc is gonna be interesting, we’ll see how the fight for equality all plays out.

Also, we now know that Babylon Gardens is East of the Mississippi River, since the TV frequency begins with a W
I was actually trying to figure out the same thing...
Turns out WWHB-47 is out of Stuart, Florida; KWHB-47 is in Tulsa, but licensed out of Clearwater, and then WHB 810 AM is based out of Kansas City, MO.
JageshemashFTW

Post by JageshemashFTW »

I’m reminded of a saying:

‘To those that are used to privilege, they will delude themselves into thinking equality for others is oppression for them. For the benefits the other would gain from equality, the privileged gained from oppression. And so the privileged believes that this must always be the case.’
Welcome to HexCom: viewtopic.php?t=5602
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Good, one of the Milton ferrets is talking on TV about that thing, which is the dream of their owner Henry. Cool that's going to be operated on a county, it's always a start. :) Eheh, "Repackaged News", because yeah, actually, TV newscasts give news you can already read on the Internet. :D Ehm, what a reply from the talking head... Hiding truth, then? :P Did Lana ever mentioned or made think of that? :roll: It seems evident that's not so, and there's no reason to remove such important rights to citizens and have them only for the pets... Well said, Lana, better close the interview. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So you mean that we aren't supposed to get the news from Twitter? I honestly did not know that. x3
FalinkesInculta

Post by FalinkesInculta »

Two things:

1: Wouldn't this be more of a state or federal decision?

2: Wouldn't them becoming citizens allow animals to enlist in non K9 areas of the military?
Next up is a song about a beautiful woman i met,

Just kidding,

Its about getting drunk
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

FalinkesInculta wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 3:44 pm Two things:

1: Wouldn't this be more of a state or federal decision?

2: Wouldn't them becoming citizens allow animals to enlist in non K9 areas of the military?
We don't know exactly how far all this goes just yet. If its a question of citizenship, then it should be federal. If its more a stopgap so transformed humans, as well as interested wild and domestic animals, can maintain their lives while the larger questions are answered then it makes a bit more sense.

As for the military, we have never seen how that works here so its hard to say what animals are allowed to do.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

dr_eirik wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:31 pmAs for the military, we have never seen how that works here so its hard to say what animals are allowed to do.
IRL, animals have frequently been used for military purposes. So much so, they have their own medals and some of the most accomplished ones have even been buried with military honours.

Wouldn't be at all surprising if animals were used by the military in the Housepets universe, especially given their ability to understand orders in a way that real life animals cannot.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Jakkal wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 8:26 am
Obbl wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:34 am Presumably the General Obedience Exam is the determiner of domestication for "wild animals" whereas more traditional pets are probably already classified as domesticated. The GOE has been the ferrets weapon of choice for exploiting legal loopholes from the beginning.
I can see how some animals try to force their way into the domestic system. Bribing, blackmailing...

but this is housepets. I am pretty sure we won't need to deal with such levels of intrigue
Well, considering the goal is to eventually give all animals equal rights (and presumably then do away with the GOE), I wouldn't personally have a problem with this. The end result is the same, and the legality of it is only questionable in the interim. The morality of doing something technically illegal to get to a state of higher equity (which itself would generally be considered the more moral state for all) is an interesting topic, eh? ;)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Jakkal wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:28 am I see a lot of problems with that.

And I missed my 10 year anniversity on the forum... oh within the automobile.
Happy anniversary, Jakkal!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Maybe you can stick around and take part and be around for the 15 year anniversary then. ^^
Crazy_Simone

Post by Crazy_Simone »

With a cursed coin on the loss, Lana really need to do something fast and strong.
Now we are going from a pet friendly community to a furry friendly county.
I can see tons of furries go to River Ridge to get "blessed" by the coin and keep their citizenship by living there.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

VeryAngryDeer wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 7:33 pm
dr_eirik wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 6:31 pmAs for the military, we have never seen how that works here so its hard to say what animals are allowed to do.
IRL, animals have frequently been used for military purposes. So much so, they have their own medals and some of the most accomplished ones have even been buried with military honours.

Wouldn't be at all surprising if animals were used by the military in the Housepets universe, especially given their ability to understand orders in a way that real life animals cannot.
One of the big ones in that regard is the Dickin medal. One got given out recently to a Belgian Malinois who was wounded taking out an al-quieda gunman who had an SBS squad pinned down.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dickin_Medal
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Will I get hated for saying the "talking head" makes a fair point (up until he started accusing lana)?

Animals may turn on each other, trying to either call one domesticated, and another is not. Brother against brother, sister against mother, mice against all humans, which means they would have to be trialed for their crimes, and their (mice) past would be one seen as a human viewed "race" of pure evil and pirating & theifing (the plagues, carry of disease, being pests not paying rent to the house they stayed in, ETC.....). I feel like many problems are going to possibly happen. :?

Plus, WHO'S and WHICH type of domestication are we talking about here? Domestication through the eyes of "wild" animals? Domestication though "tamed" animals? Or is it through the eyes of a human?

Could humans be Un-"domesticated"? Which would poteintally lead to slavery (slavery isn't race based despite IRL history, all human cultures, even africa, had slaves through conquest (yes I do know that much about my ancestory)), abuse, and many unethical practices outlawed in the past.

But again, this is me probably over analyzing it. And before the admins (may possibly) delete this for the early part of it, it was just me trying to warn one user that what they said may be against the rules. If not, I will gladly edit the top part out if requested. I don't see a need to delete my entire post because of it.
Last edited by ZAR22 on Tue Sep 29, 2020 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Amazee Dayzee wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 2:24 pm So you mean that we aren't supposed to get the news from Twitter? I honestly did not know that. x3
I got the news from Usenet 1981 through early 2000s.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

ZAR22 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 amPlus, WHO'S and WHICH type of domestication are we talking about here? Domestication through the eyes of "wild" animals? Domestication though "tamed" animals? Or is it through the eyes of a human?
I'm curious what type of domestication you think is being discussed here. Cause I have a feeling that most people in the discussion would actually agree
ZAR22 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 amCould humans be Un-"domesticated"? Which would poteintally lead to slavery, abuse, and many unethical practices outlawed in the past.
I'm also curious about this too. If undomesticating humans could lead to slavery, abuse, etc, do you think the current situation (in Housepets!) of pets is slavery/abusive/unethical? How about cows? Or the wild animals?
ZAR22 wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 3:27 amBut again, this is me probably over analyzing it.
Probably, but it's engaging :D
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Obbl wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:36 am I'm curious what type of domestication you think is being discussed here. Cause I have a feeling that most people in the discussion would actually agree
I don't know what kind, which is why I wanted to ask because I was unsure who's view was being discussed.
Obbl wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 8:36 am I'm also curious about this too. If undomesticating humans could lead to slavery, abuse, etc, do you think the current situation (in Housepets!) of pets is slavery/abusive/unethical? How about cows? Or the wild animals?

What?! I wasn't saying they (pets and human kept animals) were slaves, just that I worried this could cause perceived ethical problems further down the line. I just don't think people (mainly the miltons) are thinking to far a head about this. Remember the movie "all dogs go to heaven"? If the miltons gets their way, all dogs could NOT possibly go to heaven. They would be judged as being able to sin, which would be bad for a few of the house pets characters, like potentially king (human actions in the past), bino, one-armed jack, and many more of the characters. And while a few of them (mainly bino, if not for the briefest moment, like probably only being sent to the gates of hell, or potentially being forced to watch & suffer before going to heaven).

OR would this mean all humans would go to heaven, because being true equals, dogs, and theoretically by extension, the rest of the non-human animals, shouldn't be able to sin. So it might be majority rule, thus leading to awful people and criminals getting into heaven. Which would be bad, and would promote bad behavior in the mortal world without any precaution. Also, some of the animals are abused emotionally and physically, mainly dogs and cats; and Sash is one of the few examples of this in HP! Sp far, with others being the dogs from king's past, and poteintally grape when she was a kitten.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I HIGHLY doubt mortals get a say in how Heaven and Hell work, no matter if they say they do.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
AlKatze

Post by AlKatze »

LunarFox wrote: Mon Sep 28, 2020 10:13 am
I was actually trying to figure out the same thing...
Turns out WWHB-47 is out of Stuart, Florida; KWHB-47 is in Tulsa, but licensed out of Clearwater, and then WHB 810 AM is based out of Kansas City, MO.
I couldn’t find any TV stations with the call sign WHB. My guess is that it’s made up
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

D-Rock wrote: Tue Sep 29, 2020 10:42 am I HIGHLY doubt mortals get a say in how Heaven and Hell work, no matter if they say they do.
I thought Ceberus and Eudoant worked out a routine for those decisions.....