2020/01/24 - Brave New World

Post by Obbl »

[ Brave New World ]

Title Text: hahaha, oof

Good ol' trauma, never fails
CuriousCnidarian

Re: 2020/01/24 - Brave New World

Post by CuriousCnidarian »

Ah, yes, emotional whiplash, my favorite.
Also, I'm not sure whether that's just a really long hair across Sasha's face in the top right panel, or if it's just a stray line. It's driving me nuts, regardless.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Awwwww she misses her comfort zone... even tho there was no comfort there like... at all
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Love can be a hateful thing, sweetie,
you rationalise why you don’t leave;
it becomes harder to go every day
and causes pain for which you’ll grieve.
You remember the good over the bad
even when you mainly got the reverse.
The heart helps the rose tinted memory
and love becomes it’s own curse.
You’re better away from him sweetie,
it’s the only way he’s gonna learn
and King and Bailey will help you out
even as your emotions churn.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

We're getting in to a very deep subject. A serious one as well. Pet Stockholm Syndrome. What happens when you abandon and abuse dogs and pets. Bailey was heartbroken but that was her. Sasha is different. It'll be interesting to explore the subject more on the psychological trauma pets endure when abandoned by their owners and the long term effects in the HPU. Remember King's pets ran away and took him with them. See the damage it did to King.
King might end up telling Sasha that story and outing himself as a former human.

She might latch on to King while he performs some therapy on her to get her over it. She could see him a surrogate owner. Make some advances on him in her time of crisis and King has to deal with it and keep her at arms length.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I used to think Sasha genuinely liked the chores and whatnot Mr. Hartford tasked her with. The logic being "working dogs" like to work (Bailey even unironically agreed chores are her favorite thing in the word). I may not fancy retrieving a stick over and over again, but dogs have a different idea of fun. However, she doesn't mention that and "mean" and "bad girl" are by definition negative. Maybe Sasha's a masochist.
CuriousCnidarian wrote:I'm not sure whether that's just a really long hair across Sasha's face in the top right panel, or if it's just a stray line. It's driving me nuts, regardless.
It's the long headfur. In other instances as well you can clearly see her eye through it.
fenrirblack wrote:She might latch on to King while he performs some therapy on her to get her over it. She could see him a surrogate owner. Make some advances on him in her time of crisis and King has to deal with it and keep her at arms length.
Waaay back when there was the idea that when King became human again he should adopt Sasha. This would be an interesting way to circle back to that theory.
The cape comes with the promotion.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Love and abuse are a corrosive, toxic mix. Part of what has always made Sasha such a wonderful character has been that tragic streak within her comic nature. Perhaps it's that damaged quality that seems to make her such a natural companion for Fox, another wounded soul.

"Daddy" Hartford may be an absolute louse, but to Sasha he's still "Daddy". :(
And, lest we forget, King was raised by abusive parents, too.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

[quote="NHWestoN"]Love and abuse are a corrosive, toxic mix. Part of what has always made Sasha such a wonderful character has been that tragic streak within her comic nature. Perhaps it's that damaged quality that seems to make her such a natural companion for Fox, another wounded soul.

"Daddy" Hartford may be an absolute louse, but to Sasha he's still "Daddy". :(
And, lest we forget, King was raised by abusive parents, too. That shared heritage may surface soon.
Ruska

Post by Ruska »

I don’t think we’ve ever seen Sasha this sad before. She’s always been so chipper even when describing how awful her “daddy” was to her. I think the closest we’ve seen was in Housepets Christmas Edition. Image
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Is there therapy for pets in the Housepets world? Because I think Sasha really really needs it.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

leinglo wrote:Is there therapy for pets in the Housepets world? Because I think Sasha really really needs it.
Maybe get Mungo involved?

Or maybe this might be King's wheelhouse...

I saw the last panel, and I thought only one thing...

...Stockholm.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Ruska wrote:I don’t think we’ve ever seen Sasha this sad before. She’s always been so chipper even when describing how awful her “daddy” was to her. I think the closest we’ve seen was in Housepets Christmas Edition.
There was the time the dogs were intentionally giving her a hard time.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Argent

Post by Argent »

This is a classic outcome for abusive relationships. It can take multiple tries to escape, even with interventions.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Argent wrote:This is a classic outcome for abusive relationships. It can take multiple tries to escape, even with interventions.
Sad but true. I'm starting to wonder if this whole arc is about Sasha moving on from the abuse.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Now it makes sense why King is supposed to take care of her.
Not only is Sasha still a loyal dog to her owner, but it seems she doesn't even realise what the emancipation even means for her.
King also had an owner like that (Pete) so he knows what Sasha goes through.
She is now in a new enviroment in a strange situation, so she will need help.
My two biggest worries are:
-Will we see her owner in this arc?
-Will she try to get back to him, because she thinks it's better for her?

Also WHAT?
That guy throws bottles at his dog? :x
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Poor Sasha, I want to hug her.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Somebody give her a hug! She needs one!
Where's Peanut when you need him?
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Macsen, exactly what I was thinking, too.
--

Sasha's got some daddy issues,
That's plainly been made clear.
The real question, then, is whether
His retribution we must fear.

He treated Sasha like dirt, that's the truth,
She still loves him, too,
Or is it love? Or Stockholm Syndrome
That binds her to him like glue?

Sasha needs some help,
Pronto, Stat! Real fast,
Otherwise we're going to find out what happens
When broken relationships just seem to last.

So, who's going to help our blubbering pup?
King seems the answer right now,
But when they say they need his help,
Will he step up, or have a cow?
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Not to say the neglect wasn't abuse, but chucking bottles at her? That's a lot more clear. He was being mentally and physically abusive and she needed to get out of there.

Like others have mentioned, this was pretty predictable because this is how, unfortunately, things work in the world. Abused often stay with their abusers because they don't think there are other options. It would not be surprising if King has to talk her out of going back.

And now I start to think that Kevin might be smarter than he acts. Hartford may go looking for Sasha. He likely is aware of who she might run to, with Kevin being the top of the list. But would he even think to check The Wolf house? And if so, would he attempt to snatch her from a wolf pack?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

I think it was kinda implied that Kevin is smarter than he looks. Same for Sasha.
The thing I'm wondering is:
Are the wolves at home or is it just King there?
King is brave, but he still would have problems protecting Sasha.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:I think it was kinda implied that Kevin is smarter than he looks. Same for Sasha.
His problem protecting Sasha is that he's tiny. He's about the same size as Jessica, which makes him too small to be a serious threat to most humans, especially a drunk, angry human used to getting his way (at least with his dog).

I could see a scene where King protects her by failing. He gets between them and Hartford just tosses the Corgi aside, being the final straw for Sasha to realize that he's just not a nice person.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, Sasha, you get such sad moments... :( Yeah, your owner was so mean and bad with you, so, why miss him? :P Anyway, don't worry, for some time your life won't be anymore boring living with King and his family. :D Live alone in that small doghouse wasn't the best, you deserve better, indeed. ;) A better Kevin too, probably... :roll: Well, I hope Bailey will understand that she's forced to stay with them for some time... :?
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

As far as we know, there isn't any pets in the Housepets universe that dealt with losing their owner except Bailey, but it wasn't a bad transition. She got King. Closest thing we can relate pets what they go through is indeed Stockholm syndrome, but I think in the dog pet's case, it's the feeling of being a failure. Hope she recovers from this =(
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
HundKatzeMaus wrote:I think it was kinda implied that Kevin is smarter than he looks. Same for Sasha.
His problem protecting Sasha is that he's tiny. He's about the same size as Jessica, which makes him too small to be a serious threat to most humans, especially a drunk, angry human used to getting his way (at least with his dog).

I could see a scene where King protects her by failing. He gets between them and Hartford just tosses the Corgi aside, being the final straw for Sasha to realize that he's just not a nice person.
I don't know about King but I would NOT want to tangle with Jessica. She's probably a miniature buzzsaw. I'm guessing that Hartford has accepted Sasha's departure without much grief (just something else to drink over), but I could be wrong. He seems to have regarded her as more a bother and nuisance than anything else, at least based on his comments to Fox and Mungo when they came looking for her.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ruska wrote:I don’t think we’ve ever seen Sasha this sad before. She’s always been so chipper even when describing how awful her “daddy” was to her. I think the closest we’ve seen was in Housepets Christmas Edition. Image
This Christmas collage is something of a panorama of themes for key Housepets personalities. `cept for Daisy (sigh) who awaits her comeback......
Thanks for bringing it back, Ruska. ;)
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Ruska wrote:I don’t think we’ve ever seen Sasha this sad before. She’s always been so chipper even when describing how awful her “daddy” was to her. I think the closest we’ve seen was in Housepets Christmas Edition. Image
Champion Wallace wrote:
Ruska wrote:I don’t think we’ve ever seen Sasha this sad before. She’s always been so chipper even when describing how awful her “daddy” was to her. I think the closest we’ve seen was in Housepets Christmas Edition.
You wanna know what I realised through all of this?

Bailey and king have both gone through losing their adoptive parents (which pets in this universe seem to be between seen as a pet AND a human child), both seem to like and care about king, both are big female dogs who seem to point out king is smaller then him, both seem to value their relationship in some form or manner (with sasha liking BOTH king and bailey, and bailey out right LOVING king in the romantic emotional sense, and the fact a piece of me worries she also liked him out of piety that he is seemingly small and helpless in her eyes maybe?), BOTH are the only main recurring tall dogy characters who seem to be upbeat and just normal dogs put under supernatural or extreme circumstances rather than tarot who seemingly choose this, and the fact she is short (nothing wrong with shorties, as short dogs are cute too), and most of all.....

BOTH sasha, bailey, daisy, AND tarot have gone through MAJOR art style and design changes, sasha most of all. Originally she had a shorter muzzle, NO heart pattern, and barely and fur-hair atop her head. Now look at her! She has a heart cutie mark, long hair over her face, longer muzzle, and all of the female dogs seem to have a more humanoid shaped body structure. Oh, and alot more feminine features!

Rick really has stepped up the design changes over the years!

And now that I look at bailey, she was REALLY slim and looked almost exactly like fox but darker fur, and a yellow bandana....

But anyways, back to main topic. I feel given what we have seen with the police, fox, mungo, and sasha before....

I believe the best person to help her, OUTSIDE of bailey & king, is daisy. Think about it, she seems to understand putting up a face, hiding her emotions, and seems to be one of sasha's closest female doggy friends.
ThisthingfromNowhere

Post by ThisthingfromNowhere »

ZAR22 wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
You wanna know what I realised through all of this?

Bailey and king have both gone through losing their adoptive parents (which pets in this universe seem to be between seen as a pet AND a human child), both seem to like and care about king, both are big female dogs who seem to point out king is smaller then him, both seem to value their relationship in some form or manner (with sasha liking BOTH king and bailey, and bailey out right LOVING king in the romantic emotional sense, and the fact a piece of me worries she also liked him out of piety that he is seemingly small and helpless in her eyes maybe?), BOTH are the only main recurring tall dogy characters who seem to be upbeat and just normal dogs put under supernatural or extreme circumstances rather than tarot who seemingly choose this, and the fact she is short (nothing wrong with shorties, as short dogs are cute too), and most of all.....

BOTH sasha, bailey, daisy, AND tarot have gone through MAJOR art style and design changes, sasha most of all. Originally she had a shorter muzzle, NO heart pattern, and barely and fur-hair atop her head. Now look at her! She has a heart cutie mark, long hair over her face, longer muzzle, and all of the female dogs seem to have a more humanoid shaped body structure. Oh, and alot more feminine features!

Rick really has stepped up the design changes over the years!

And now that I look at bailey, she was REALLY slim and looked almost exactly like fox but darker fur, and a yellow bandana....

But anyways, back to main topic. I feel given what we have seen with the police, fox, mungo, and sasha before....

I believe the best person to help her, OUTSIDE of bailey & king, is daisy. Think about it, she seems to understand putting up a face, hiding her emotions, and seems to be one of sasha's closest female doggy friends.

Makes sense to me
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looks like Sasha is now suffering from a serve form of Stockholm syndrome and was used to all the abuse and thought that was normal. She was so used to the abuse and being torn down and forced to do everything that she doesn’t know anything different and now misses it because she loved that about Hartford.

I’m beginning to see why she got involved with Bino in the first place.
tomindex

Post by tomindex »

Y'all know that one flirty girl with Daddy issues who you discover had daddy issues briefly after your first encounters? Yeah that's Sasha.
M00S

Post by M00S »

Poor Sasha :(
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

M00S wrote:Poor Sasha :(
She's a heart-breaker in so many ways. :|
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

But right now it seems her own heart is breaking.