2020/01/13 - Seasons Greetings

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Douglas Collier

Re: 2020/01/13 - Seasons Greetings

Post by Douglas Collier »

The Temptation of King... was very slight and short-lived; Sasha was sent packing and King and Bailey lived happily ever after. :P

My guess is this arc is going to be about Sasha getting romantic advice.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Somewhere, Doug, buried deep among the short stories in this forum is a very touching and well-written story on that same theme. The author imagine Sasha going to Bailey and King for advice after a big spat with Kevin about going to the Carnival. Fox gets involved and, once again, he and Sasha come achingly close to a romantic involvement. Inhibited and confused, Fox loses Sasha when his indecision - despite her encouragement - causes him to wait too long. By the time he's ready to open up to her, Sasha and Kevin have made up, and Fox is broken-hearted and defeated once more. The story was over two parts, and the author seemed to have left the Forum.

But … I guess we'll just see. (I'm still pulling for Fox to tie up with Daisy.) ;)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

I was thinking about this image once we saw Sasha back in the strip. I think it may be the best fan image of Sasha I've seen, and possibly my favorite fan art of this comic. The artist captured Sashas personality perfectly.

The artists page is here https://www.furaffinity.net/view/33554817/

There is some NSFW stuff elsewhere in his gallery, but he's got three other Housepets picts that are worth seeing.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

dr_eirik wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:Agreed with everyone hypothesizing that this’ll be about Valentines Day and involve Fox. I hope we’ll get to see soon if he’s wearing an eyepatch or has heterochromia but can see just fine after Steward slashed at him. As well, I’m curious to see if this is an arc where we see more of Mungo and Fox bonding and possibly having grown closer.

In my experience, hetrochromia from an injury would mean the eye is basically dead. If you were born that way it can be largely irrelevant to vision. The best case for Fox is that the slashes did nothing more than superficial wounds. Worst case is loss of the eye. I suspect were going somewhere between.
Ah, I see. My father got cataract surgery a few years ago and one of his eyes is a different color now than the other as a side effect of it. I guess my thinking is “Maybe Fox got away with a light graze and his eye still mostly functional, just with a different color?”
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

I think I am going to like this arc. :D
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:I was thinking about this image once we saw Sasha back in the strip. I think it may be the best fan image of Sasha I've seen, and possibly my favorite fan art of this comic. The artist captured Sashas personality perfectly.

The artists page is here https://www.furaffinity.net/view/33554817/

There is some NSFW stuff elsewhere in his gallery, but he's got three other Housepets picts that are worth seeing.
That's ipoke - and his work is absolutely excellent! Well worth a browse.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:Agreed with everyone hypothesizing that this’ll be about Valentines Day and involve Fox. I hope we’ll get to see soon if he’s wearing an eyepatch or has heterochromia but can see just fine after Steward slashed at him. As well, I’m curious to see if this is an arc where we see more of Mungo and Fox bonding and possibly having grown closer.

In my experience, hetrochromia from an injury would mean the eye is basically dead. If you were born that way it can be largely irrelevant to vision. The best case for Fox is that the slashes did nothing more than superficial wounds. Worst case is loss of the eye. I suspect were going somewhere between.
Ah, I see. My father got cataract surgery a few years ago and one of his eyes is a different color now than the other as a side effect of it. I guess my thinking is “Maybe Fox got away with a light graze and his eye still mostly functional, just with a different color?”
I've been an eye doc for almost 20 years and I've never seen a cataract surgery botched like that, but I know it can happen if the doctor severs nerves in the iris. It can also happen if the nerves to the eye die due to nerve damage, but nothing you'd be able to do superficially. In reality, if we see that, the eye would be horribly damaged. But this in a comic in a whole different universe. It depends on how Rick wants it.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

dr_eirik wrote:

Not that we'd be able to tell in the current art style, where we don't get to see the irises.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

VeryAngryDeer wrote: Not that we'd be able to tell in the current art style, where we don't get to see the irises.
I'll admit to being curious what is going to come of the injury, it's professional curiosity. But I'm hoping that the worst our heroic husky gets is a bit of a scar. He's the character I feel like is most deserving of a happy ending of anyone in the strip and he always feels so tantalizingly close before he gets snapped back.

In my head, I'm seeing him still pining for Sasha even after the events of the Hot Springs. I'm picturing a moment where she comes to him some evening, struggling with the enormity of what she's done. In that moment, Fox has to make a choice: Try and draw Sasha closer to him or just comfort her and make a break in his mind to move on.

It's a thought. No sure it's a good one, but it's a thought. It would be nice to see him really and truly move on, if it means rethinking some other neighborhood pet (Daisy comes to mind) or a new visit from Spring and/or Summer.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

dr_eirik wrote:
VeryAngryDeer wrote: Not that we'd be able to tell in the current art style, where we don't get to see the irises.
I'll admit to being curious what is going to come of the injury, it's professional curiosity. But I'm hoping that the worst our heroic husky gets is a bit of a scar. He's the character I feel like is most deserving of a happy ending of anyone in the strip and he always feels so tantalizingly close before he gets snapped back.

In my head, I'm seeing him still pining for Sasha even after the events of the Hot Springs. I'm picturing a moment where she comes to him some evening, struggling with the enormity of what she's done. In that moment, Fox has to make a choice: Try and draw Sasha closer to him or just comfort her and make a break in his mind to move on.

It's a thought. No sure it's a good one, but it's a thought. It would be nice to see him really and truly move on, if it means rethinking some other neighborhood pet (Daisy comes to mind) or a new visit from Spring and/or Summer.
I could stand to see another character with an eyepatch.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that Fox would look even more handsome with an eye patch.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think that Fox would look even more handsome with an eye patch.
Earlier today I was working on the van and managed to get a shard of plastic in my eye (teach me not to wearsafety glasses). Hurt a lot but I got it out safely. Made me wonder if I would look cooler wearing an eye patch.

I mean, who wouldn't look cooler with an eye patch?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I think that Fox would look even more handsome with an eye patch.
Earlier today I was working on the van and managed to get a shard of plastic in my eye (teach me not to wearsafety glasses). Hurt a lot but I got it out safely. Made me wonder if I would look cooler wearing an eye patch.

A cyclops maybe?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

A cyclops wearing one would be dangerous because it wouldn't be able to see where it was going and accidentally crush living things and buildings. :|
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:

Oh the things that I could ruin the fun with just by describing....

The truth is most people that have a single eye injury with serious vision loss don't wear a patch all the time unless there is associated disfigurement. If Rick has decided to go this way with Fox I have every confidence that he's do it well. I could see Fox making it decorative at Halloween with a Jolly Roger.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm not saying that he would need one. I'm saying it would make him look cool.

And hopefully Rick won't be like a certain Discord admin and kill the eye-patched character off.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm not saying that he would need one. I'm saying it would make him look cool.

And hopefully Rick won't be like a certain Discord admin and kill the eye-patched character off.
Well, other than Delusional Steve I don't think there are other eye-patched characters. And killing off Fox? I can't see that ever happening unless there is going to be a Keene-like resurrection.

Besides, that would force us to gather and riot! Once we figure out where Babylon Gardens is....
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I'm not saying that he would need one. I'm saying it would make him look cool.

Well, other than Delusional Steve I don't think there are other eye-patched characters. And killing off Fox? I can't see that ever happening unless there is going to be a Keene-like resurrection.

Besides, that would force us to gather and riot! Once we figure out where Babylon Gardens is....
Didn't Rockstar Hawk wear Delusional Steve's eyepatch during the water balloon war?
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

dr_eirik wrote:

She's referring to a now-discontinued forum game that featured a dog who would go on to wear an eye patch. If he had survived the opening chapter. It was a community-wide "choose your own adventure" game.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm still in denial about him being dead. Especially since one of the rules said that there was a chance, slight as it was to bring him back.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Champion Wallace wrote:I guess the appropriate seasonal greeting for King is tackling him with a wham through an opened front door. Sasha’s line makes a little more sense when you realize according to the printed version of All The King’s Men the first butt King sniffed was hers.
Rikunda wrote:Hmm... Where is this going?
My guess, Valentines day.
When has he EVER sniffed her butt?!?! I don't ever recall king doing that to her, I would think it would be fox though.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Housepets! book 2 comes with a short story in addition to the comics from that year. The story takes place in or shortly after It's A Wonderful Dog's Life and in it King accidentally admits in front of the K-9s he's never sniffed a dog's butt. Later in the story Fox makes King sniff Sasha's butt so he would be "acquainted with the art of canine greetings".
The cape comes with the promotion.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Champion Wallace wrote:Housepets! book 2 comes with a short story in addition to the comics from that year. The story takes place in or shortly after It's A Wonderful Dog's Life and in it King accidentally admits in front of the K-9s he's never sniffed a dog's butt. Later in the story Fox makes King sniff Sasha's butt so he would be "acquainted with the art of canine greetings".
So, was it a secret comic or something that only comes with ordering the book? If so, I will order just for the sake of that secret story. Do all the books have secret stories, and are they all just written, or are they a actual comic?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

ZAR22 wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:Housepets! book 2 comes with a short story in addition to the comics from that year. The story takes place in or shortly after It's A Wonderful Dog's Life and in it King accidentally admits in front of the K-9s he's never sniffed a dog's butt. Later in the story Fox makes King sniff Sasha's butt so he would be "acquainted with the art of canine greetings".
So, was it a secret comic or something that only comes with ordering the book? If so, I will order just for the sake of that secret story. Do all the books have secret stories, and are they all just written, or are they a actual comic?
It's a short story with a couple images. Nothing like it in other books, those often have other sketches.

It's a good little story, I think part 1 was written by Rick and 2 and 3 by a forum fic writer.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

As I recall, parts 2 and e were winners of a contest Rick held to choose which story would be the official next part of that one.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

dr_eirik wrote:
It's a short story with a couple images. Nothing like it in other books, those often have other sketches.

It's a good little story, I think part 1 was written by Rick and 2 and 3 by a forum fic writer.
Really? Did king really sniff sasha's butt? And was this before or after meeting bailey in the story? How did the butt sniffing thing play out exactly? And did she sniff his butt in return or did fox?
What else happend that I don't know about?
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Coincidentally, although Kevin was at his wedding, All the King's Men was also the last time King interacted with Kevin before this arc.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

ZAR22 wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:

Really? Did king really sniff sasha's butt? And was this before or after meeting bailey in the story? How did the butt sniffing thing play out exactly? And did she sniff his butt in return or did fox?
I don't know how much I can say as the story was supposed to be an incentive for purchasing book 2. As I said before it takes place around arc 27. Bailey doesn't meet King until arc 47. As for what else happened that you don't know about is Sabrina took a trip to New Mexico before the events of the comic.
The cape comes with the promotion.
ZAR22

Post by ZAR22 »

Champion Wallace wrote:
ZAR22 wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:

I don't know how much I can say as the story was supposed to be an incentive for purchasing book 2. As I said before it takes place around arc 27. Bailey doesn't meet King until arc 47. As for what else happened that you don't know about is Sabrina took a trip to New Mexico before the events of the comic.
Nah, I know the sabrina thing, just wanted to know about all about the butt sniffing, but thx!!!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think the last time we had a canine sniff a butt in the comic was when Daryl did it to wake up King when Bailey was giving birth.