2019/12/09 - Heaven Is Apace On Earth

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Olive

Re: 2019/12/09 - Heaven Is Apace On Earth

Post by Olive »

I bet that’s what he says if somebody asks him to help with anything. Especially if it requires hard labor.
The inevitability of a game of fetch is a frightening thing.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

If it were me, I'd have Keene say, "I told you he wouldn't be helpful," in the next page. To which Kitsu would respond, "I didn't say I wouldn't help. I just said I'm not gonna snap my fingers and fix everything. What would anybody gain out of that? Nothing but a lot of missed opportunities."
But that's just me.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

I was expecting a repeat of this conversation whenever Kitsune showed up.

Not too far off really.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Nobody wrote:If it were me, I'd have Keene say, "I told you he wouldn't be helpful," in the next page. To which Kitsu would respond, "I didn't say I wouldn't help. I just said I'm not gonna snap my fingers and fix everything. What would anybody gain out of that? Nothing but a lot of missed opportunities."
But that's just me.
Okay, let's see:
On the one hand, your words ring true.
On the other hand, I've got a lot of blaming and finger-pointing lying around and if I don't throw at Kitsune now, it'll just go to waste.
Argent wrote:I know I'd immediately start working on learning the animagus transformation. How about you?
Can only shape-shift into one animal and you have to go through a bureaucratic process to legally register yourself as such?*
I think we'll need futher out-of-the-box problem solving for this one.

*(Wormtail, Padfoot and Prongs were not very lawful kids**)
**(Neither was Rita Skeeter. That's right, folks! That sensasionalist reporter didn't plant bugs on people's clothes to listen in on their conversations, she WAS the bug!)
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

OK so raise your hand if you just knew that Kitsune wasn't gonna fix everything easily and in the blink of the eye and force the gender-swapped couple to go through a journey of their own? XD
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Nobody wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:
Nobody wrote:If it were me, I'd have Keene say, "I told you he wouldn't be helpful," in the next page. To which Kitsu would respond, "I didn't say I wouldn't help. I just said I'm not gonna snap my fingers and fix everything. What would anybody gain out of that? Nothing but a lot of missed opportunities."
But that's just me.
Okay, let's see:
On the one hand, your words ring true.
On the other hand, I've got a lot of blaming and finger-pointing lying around and if I don't throw at Kitsune now, it'll just go to waste.
But he's not really to blame, I'm pretty sure of that.

Also, "thought mine of the gods." Pretty sure I've come across that D&D module.
Last edited by Nobody on Mon Dec 09, 2019 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You might be pretty sure, but there is no way you can be 100% sure.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:You might be pretty sure, but there is no way you can be 100% sure.
Sure enough to bet money on.
Argent

Post by Argent »

NHWestoN wrote:At my stage, Arge, I've set aside the quest to master Animagus transformations just to solve how to get through the paper sealant that covers my plastic medicine bottles...... ;)
So you're hoping for African Grey Parrot, eh?

@SillyZealot: you can also have a bunch of polyjuice accidents by using fur instead of hair like Hermione did. And I'm sure that 99% of animagi only register when they're caught.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:OK so raise your hand if you just knew that Kitsune wasn't gonna fix everything easily and in the blink of the eye and force the gender-swapped couple to go through a journey of their own? XD
I think we can just assume that Kitsune ALWAYS has an invisible quest icon over his head.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Well, squirrel-ified forever, let's hope that doesn't mean a shorter lifespan...
--
They're on their own,
They get it, but that doesn't mean it's fun,
Kitsune can see that they've grown,
But their challenge is far from done.

A though mine for the gods,
Yeah, that's what reality is,
But never tell Marion the odds,
As for freaking out, he's the resident whiz.

So what to do now? Nobody knows,
Though Kitsune's nose, I think, it grows.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

dr_eirik wrote:Not surprisingly, he is not going to help directly. It remains to be seen if hes going to at least point them in a direction.

Perhaps he has...maybe tail tugging IS the cure? analyze what he said .."Don't tug the tails if you dont like curses...to get rid of the curse you already have tug a tail (perhaps?) Thinking kitsunishly gives one a headache.
Last edited by Startrekfan47 on Mon Dec 09, 2019 1:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:XD
I think we can just assume that Kitsune ALWAYS has an invisible quest icon over his head.[/quote]

With him, I wouldn't be shocked if its occasionally visable.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
FireworkFox

Post by FireworkFox »

Kitsune is my favorite character!
My name is Firework Fox.
uwu
------------------------
John Granger
S5 P8 E4 C6 I7 A6 L6
Frank

Post by Frank »

Seriously, Marion? You said you wanted an explanation above a solution, and you go and ask for a solution first? Have you never watched Aladdin? Your first wish is supposed to go "Provisos, you mean limitations, on wishes?" (the 1992 one, don't know about the other)
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Argent

Post by Argent »

Your first wish is for infinite save points and respawn back to a save point at will.

That way you get infinite tries at getting the remaining wishes just right. Like Groundhog Day if Phil Conner really WAS a god.

Radio starts playing "I Got You Babe"
Phil: OK, this time, let's see, I want to be able to make any kind of food taste like waffles.
Genie: You're just messing with me now, aren't you?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:OK so raise your hand if you just knew that Kitsune wasn't gonna fix everything easily and in the blink of the eye and force the gender-swapped couple to go through a journey of their own? XD
Always a razor blade in the candy dish...….
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

So, you gods, demigods, and other Heaven creatures "use" the living mortal creatures on Earth as sources for your ideas? And you can't repay that by canceling one curse to a mortal even when asked directly to you? You profiteers! :P Marion's theory sounds kinds right, actually... :roll: The fact is that humans, especially ancient civilities, have always been fascinated by animals, attributing them sort of powers and magical attributes. :) Anyway, I agree with your explaining of how's Heaven, Great Kitsune, otherwise it wouldn't have a sense. Heaven must be a desired thing which isn't and can't come on Earth...
Frank

Post by Frank »

Argent wrote:Your first wish is for infinite save points and respawn back to a save point at will.

That way you get infinite tries at getting the remaining wishes just right. Like Groundhog Day if Phil Conner really WAS a god.

Phil: OK, this time, let's see, I want to be able to make any kind of food taste like waffles.
In this universe, I have to ask if you mean Bill Murray or the groundhog
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Argent wrote:Your first wish is for infinite save points and respawn back to a save point at will.

Nice crossover!
But we've tried, the genies let you wish for going back in time, but they always keep counting the wishes you make. As if the wishes exist on another....layer of time or something.

I guess time is not a river, but an onion.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Vertigo Fox

Post by Vertigo Fox »

Naw, time (the original!) is just a boring old dimension of space like up, or left.
It's really confusing, but I've seen it explained in some weeeeird ways that actually made a lot of sense. Even though I can't do that kind of math.
Mr. Whisper wrote:Huh. This strip actually makes me kind of angry. Originally, I didn't think Kitsune had anything to do with the transformations because suddenly springing something like that on someone without any kind of explanation or appearance seemed too malicious for him, but now I'm not so sure. I know Rick's writing well enough to realize Kitsune has a reason to do things this way, but whether he changed them or not, this strip makes it clear he knew about this the whole time and refuses to help, and he clearly finds the idea of these kids having their lives shattered by circumstances that shouldn't even exist to be entertaining. I wasn't a big Kitsune fan to begin with but with this I can honestly say I don't like him.
The problem is perspective. Magically fixing a legitimately big problem for someone when your name is already out there might be neighbourly, but once word gets around people are going to start coming to the physical god next door for problems they just think are big, or for anything at all... because the only time it's easy for most people to have perspective on a problem is when that problem is someone else's. Marion and Lois are the main characters of the arc, so their problems are ours too. We absolutely are meant to dislike Kitsune at this particular moment.
However, working on flawed logic he may be but I think he's still right, because people who are under stress and duress usually don't work on perfect logic either. If they did we wouldn't have bar fights. :P And while not everyone would take the shortest path to solving their problems once they knew what that was, enough people would that the results would probably be the same. A given problem is usually not unique to one person, after all.
"Heaven on Earth" might not happen instantly, and it might not be a certainty, but the more legitimately big problems the demigod solves, the more people know that he can. So it raises the probability that it could happen, and soon. Whoever in heaven he's working for, I doubt they'd allow him to raise that probability any higher than zero percent. :lol:
It doesn't matter that the problem may not have come from Earth, or that there may not be another solution, because the people who come to him next, knowing that he solved this one for Marion and Lois, might not be logical enough, or just not care enough, to make that distinction. And then even if he turns them down, they'll feel slighted, they might bring a mob back with torches and pitchforks or raise a force to attack him some other way, and then he's probably damned dozens of souls to hell who would have reached heaven (the original!) otherwise.
And this isn't even getting into what a politician or even a world leader might do if they found out about what he did for Marion and Lois. They could literally declare war on him for not getting what they want, with who knows how many innocent casualties along the way.

It's the same reason he has to act aloof, snarky, and amused at people, because if there was the merest, most unfounded hint that he might be playing favourites with someone, that could start wars. Even the smallest possible risk, he can't take, because even if the result doesn't come to pass until a billion years later, he will still be there to be fought over.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Heheh, "thought mine for the gods"... anyone else here seen an old Peter Davison Doctor Who serial called Enlightenment?
Last edited by Vertigo Fox on Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ship's Cat, MPSV Iberia
Check out my musical ramblings, if you dare:

https://soundcloud.com/snowfoxden
bravelove

Post by bravelove »

oh no you gave the dm an idea guess we know what kitsunes next campaign might be about lol
Image Image
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Pretty sure these transformation shinanigans are getting out of hand here, Kitsune. Though I admit - i wasn't surprised you were not going to help. :3

But seriously, You might wanna at least give the cast a neon sign for all of these transformation shinanigans. I doubt the other gods run into this problem.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

You know he is not gonna do that because where is the fun in just letting them there is a problem? LOL
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Well, no magic snap of the fingers to poof our squirrel and bobcat back to their original forms. It was worth a shot. Hopefully Lois can hold Marion back from attempting to bite the earlobe of a demigod, even though it's something that he's definitely come to deserve for a bunch of other things.

As Argent and Fenrir have pointed out, this is very likely going to be something where M&L will have to earn their way back to their humanity. This could be done well and good through completing a direct quest from Kitsune. Or, what I personally think may happen, they're going to earn back their humanity (or a boon that could be their humanity if they so wish) and only realize it when Kitsune pops back in after some sort of major goal is accomplished. That goal could be helping Keene with expanding the ECP and establishing its normalcy and giving animals a better footing to become true equals to humans. This occurs through their own actions as they just try to press ahead with their lives and whatever big plot-heavy arcs happen.

So yeah: Kitsune tells them he can't help, maybe gives them a pointer in some direction, and they don't know it but their actions from their on out will wind up helping everyone, including themselves.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Vertigo Fox wrote:The problem is perspective. Magically fixing a legitimately big problem for someone when your name is already out there might be neighbourly, but once word gets around people are going to start coming to the physical god next door for problems they just think are big, or for anything at all... because the only time it's easy for most people to have perspective on a problem is when that problem is someone else's. Marion and Lois are the main characters of the arc, so their problems are ours too. We absolutely are meant to dislike Kitsune at this particular moment.
However, working on flawed logic he may be but I think he's still right, because people who are under stress and duress usually don't work on perfect logic either. If they did we wouldn't have bar fights. :P And while not everyone would take the shortest path to solving their problems once they knew what that was, enough people would that the results would probably be the same. A given problem is usually not unique to one person, after all.
"Heaven on Earth" might not happen instantly, and it might not be a certainty, but the more legitimately big problems the demigod solves, the more people know that he can. So it raises the probability that it could happen, and soon. Whoever in heaven he's working for, I doubt they'd allow him to raise that probability any higher than zero percent. :lol:
It doesn't matter that the problem may not have come from Earth, or that there may not be another solution, because the people who come to him next, knowing that he solved this one for Marion and Lois, might not be logical enough, or just not care enough, to make that distinction. And then even if he turns them down, they'll feel slighted, they might bring a mob back with torches and pitchforks or raise a force to attack him some other way, and then he's probably damned dozens of souls to hell who would have reached heaven (the original!) otherwise.
And this isn't even getting into what a politician or even a world leader might do if they found out about what he did for Marion and Lois. They could literally declare war on him for not getting what they want, with who knows how many innocent casualties along the way.

It's the same reason he has to act aloof, snarky, and amused at people, because if there was the merest, most unfounded hint that he might be playing favourites with someone, that could start wars. Even the smallest possible risk, he can't take, because even if the result doesn't come to pass until a billion years later, he will still be there to be fought over.
I appreciate you taking the time to spell that out for me. As I said: I do know that there is a reason for Kitsune to do things this way, but you helped clarify that reason quite a bit for me.
I know my original post comes off as me complaining that Kitsune isn't fixing the problem, so I would like to clarify: I never expected Kitsune to just change Marion and Lois back. If he isn't the one who changed them, I don't think he's even allowed to. But, he DOES know why they were changed--or at least how--and he's withholding that information to drag this out for his own amusement. That's the problem I'm really having here. Whether the transformations are Celestial or Infernal, the problem still originates from Kitsune's realm, so the way I see it, Kitsune has a responsibility to help solve it! I understand he has to be careful about how he handles the situation, but there comes a point where it stops being indirect and roundabout for necessity and starts just being deliberately, sadistically unhelpful.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I mean, in comic time this conversation has been going on for less than 2 minutes, how much hurry up does he have to have to satisfy you :P Is he really not allowed to drag this out a handful of seconds, especially when Marion is so eager to jump on every tangent given to him? :lol:
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

I suppose you have a point
Argent

Post by Argent »

(thanks, Frank, I forgot the groundhog was also named Phil, so that was a totally accidental ambiguity)
Ash Greytree wrote:(or a boon that could be their humanity if they so wish)
Heh, what if Marion wants to change back but Louis likes being a buff cat-guy?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ash Greytree wrote:Well, no magic snap of the fingers to poof our squirrel and bobcat back to their original forms. It was worth a shot. Hopefully Lois can hold Marion back from attempting to bite the earlobe of a demigod, even though it's something that he's definitely come to deserve for a bunch of other things.

As Argent and Fenrir have pointed out, this is very likely going to be something where M&L will have to earn their way back to their humanity. This could be done well and good through completing a direct quest from Kitsune. Or, what I personally think may happen, they're going to earn back their humanity (or a boon that could be their humanity if they so wish) and only realize it when Kitsune pops back in after some sort of major goal is accomplished. That goal could be helping Keene with expanding the ECP and establishing its normalcy and giving animals a better footing to become true equals to humans. This occurs through their own actions as they just try to press ahead with their lives and whatever big plot-heavy arcs happen.

So yeah: Kitsune tells them he can't help, maybe gives them a pointer in some direction, and they don't know it but their actions from their on out will wind up helping everyone, including themselves.
Quest in the offing?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Mr. Whisper wrote:I understand he has to be careful about how he handles the situation, but there comes a point where it stops being indirect and roundabout for necessity and starts just being deliberately, sadistically unhelpful.
Kitsune is a trickster. Archypally, tricksters that aren't actively malevolent usually help people by tricking them into helping themselves. In the end, they teach people how to do things. And if nothing else, we've seen that Marion needs to learn to stand up and do it for himself, as he's kind of a wet blanket. Not sure what Lois is gonna learn, but I'm sure we'll see something come up sooner or later. Kitsu willl help along the way, but it will be indirect. It's like God said in Futurama, "When you've done it right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."

As to him being sadistic, I quote Vetinari, "Good sir, my predecessor used to have people torn apart by hungry tortoises; he thought it was a hoot. Forgive me if the way I entertain myself is a little more cerebral."
Startrekfan47

Post by Startrekfan47 »

"So the meaning of life is that we're some thought mine for the gods?!?" "Heavens, no, the meaning of life is 42! Haven't you read your Adams?"
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I think it's interesting to think that Kitsune might not be joking about that last line about it being a good idea.

What if Marion and Lois did indeed open up the pandora's box at this point by making the story more interesting and getting Kitsune involved? What would he do at this point? Turn himself mortal, too?
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

GameCobra wrote:I think it's interesting to think that Kitsune might not be joking about that last line about it being a good idea.

What if Marion and Lois did indeed open up the pandora's box at this point by making the story more interesting and getting Kitsune involved? What would he do at this point? Turn himself mortal, too?
I don't think he can. He's gotta stay demigod so he can watch over Pete and Dragon and make sure they serve out their full sentence.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Nobody wrote:
GameCobra wrote:I think it's interesting to think that Kitsune might not be joking about that last line about it being a good idea.

I don't think he can. He's gotta stay demigod so he can watch over Pete and Dragon and make sure they serve out their full sentence.
He doesn't have to be a demi-god to watch over them. He's been messing around with Vix, but the whole "dad" thing was just a joke. However...

I can see him playing the whole "Vix's husband" thing for real now... to Craig and Draig's horror. =3
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Her name is actually Kix if I remember correctly but what's betting she has an sister named Vix we will see who will be Craig and Draig's aunt? XD
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

Craig and Draig are another point of contention I have with Kitsune. I know he was joking about being their dad, but i think he was being serious about helping Kix raise them. I figured the point of their punishment was to learn the perspective of mortals so they would think twice about pulling something as arrogant as The Game again. But, if this is how Kitsune really is, then he's just ensuring they'll come out of this just as bad as they were when they got it........................................................................................... Unless this is Kitsune trying to trick them into being better out of spite?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Mr. Whisper wrote:Craig and Draig are another point of contention I have with Kitsune. I know he was joking about being their dad, but i think he was being serious about helping Kix raise them. I figured the point of their punishment was to learn the perspective of mortals so they would think twice about pulling something as arrogant as The Game again. But, if this is how Kitsune really is, then he's just ensuring they'll come out of this just as bad as they were when they got it........................................................................................... Unless this is Kitsune trying to trick them into being better out of spite?
He's reminding them that he's paying particular attention to them. It's difficult for them to get away with much when the referee's over their shoulders...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Could always mess with Pete and Dragon and go all Golmez/Morticia with Vix.

"Vix. That's French!"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Nobody wrote:
Mr. Whisper wrote:I understand he has to be careful about how he handles the situation, but there comes a point where it stops being indirect and roundabout for necessity and starts just being deliberately, sadistically unhelpful.
Kitsune is a trickster. Archypally, tricksters that aren't actively malevolent usually help people by tricking them into helping themselves. In the end, they teach people how to do things. And if nothing else, we've seen that Marion needs to learn to stand up and do it for himself, as he's kind of a wet blanket. Not sure what Lois is gonna learn, but I'm sure we'll see something come up sooner or later. Kitsu willl help along the way, but it will be indirect. It's like God said in Futurama, "When you've done it right, people won't be sure you've done anything at all."
Lois needs to learn to loosen up. From the onset she’s been rigid and inflexible. At times these would be more admirable qualities but in a fast changing environment could cause her and those around her problems.

As far as a Kitsune is concerned, as others have mentioned until we know the cause of the curses there isn’t a role for him to have beyond guide. As annoying as it is this may have nothing to do with the celestials, the aftermath of the Game, or really fall under Kitsunes Responsibility. King was part of the Game and as referee or GM, he was Kitsunes responsibility as was Satau but that was easily resolved and Kitsune knew it. The events in the Temple were a gray area as the events were all of Heavens responsibly to keep forces of both celestial and demonic forces away from mortals. The coin is trickier because it’s Pete’s doing combined with human greed and actions. Steward would technically be an innocent victim (take that as you will) and any others would be as well which unfortunately is part of life like being killed randomly in the street. Heavenly forces such as the coin shouldn’t be in mortal hands but since no one is actively trying to retrieve it, there is nothing we can do right now. Long speech short, until we know the exact cause of the transformations we can’t blame Kitsune for not fixing it out right because it may have literally nothing to do with him. Honestly if he said that up front instead of giving some weird philosophy mumbo then this would go smoother. Seriously was that second part in the second panel even necessary?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:
Nobody wrote:
Lois needs to learn to loosen up. From the onset she’s been rigid and inflexible. At times these would be more admirable qualities but in a fast changing environment could cause her and those around her problems.

As far as a Kitsune is concerned, as others have mentioned until we know the cause of the curses there isn’t a role for him to have beyond guide. As annoying as it is this may have nothing to do with the celestials, the aftermath of the Game, or really fall under Kitsunes Responsibility. King was part of the Game and as referee or GM, he was Kitsunes responsibility as was Satau but that was easily resolved and Kitsune knew it. The events in the Temple were a gray area as the events were all of Heavens responsibly to keep forces of both celestial and demonic forces away from mortals. The coin is trickier because it’s Pete’s doing combined with human greed and actions. Steward would technically be an innocent victim (take that as you will) and any others would be as well which unfortunately is part of life like being killed randomly in the street. Heavenly forces such as the coin shouldn’t be in mortal hands but since no one is actively trying to retrieve it, there is nothing we can do right now. Long speech short, until we know the exact cause of the transformations we can’t blame Kitsune for not fixing it out right because it may have literally nothing to do with him. Honestly if he said that up front instead of giving some weird philosophy mumbo then this would go smoother. Seriously was that second part in the second panel even necessary?
He's establishing his reasons.

The audience knows them, but not these folks. Even from pre-humans, the concept of gods who grant wishes is probably the most biggest red light that Kitsune is trying to avoid - as he mentioned in the second panel.

What i'm just trying to figure out, as you mentioned, is what Kitsune will be up to at this point and what kind of plans he has for everyone - if any. He could be just watching from the sidelines after this, but it's hard to figure that out without an exact idea what his role in all this becomes afterwards other than 'it amuses me', which 'can' work, but I don't see Kitsune as the passive type.

My guess is he's waiting for someone or something to happen that only he knows.