2019/10/25 - Presto Chango

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
ZAR22

Re: 2019/10/25 - Presto Chango

Post by ZAR22 »

I guessed on of them was lois, but wasn't sure, and still, we have seen couples together get with other people (*cough* dogs in house housepet's case *cough*) so that's why i thought I could be poncho and lois, even though marion and them are a couple. And i only consider it a TRUE ship, if there is some sort of romantic tension from both sides of the party. Otherwise it feels just like a fling-ish one sided (most likely a character's desire) ship, than a real one.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

After taking what everyone's said to heart over the last few days, let's deep dive into what's happening. Right now there are two sensible and plausible theories about what is responsible for these transformations and where this story could go in the long term.

1) Mysterious Force or Just Because: I don't entirely agree with this idea but it is worth looking into. Whatever the cause be it a curse, temple mana, or etc there is no rhyme or reason for these changes. They are going to keep happening and maybe spike sooner or rather. Now if that is the case then the story will essentially revolve around the theme of unity and individuality (doesn't matter what you look like or what species your are but your choices). Basically it comes down to the fact that humans become animals and therefore all humans and animals are really equal and were all along. The therianthropes pave the way for real lawful equality between humans and animals and story is over. The causes for change themselves are less important than the fact that this is happening and therefore has to be dealt with in a normal way. This would also mean that Lois's change was simply a coincidence for the sake of ending the chapter the way Rick did. DRAMATIC AFFECT. There is no deeper meaning. Kinda sucks but this is Housepets and that usually is the case. That doesn't mean that various characters can't take advantage of the situation. Steward is clearly set up to be an antagonist is his own right. Again this harks back to the theme of "we all the same deep down" in other words even though Steward is an animal now, he's still the same he always has been. Human or animal, doesn't matter he's just bad. Thomas too depending on whether or not he has a future role or not. There is no solid way of knowing where this could go in the future but my money is still on race to Egypt to use the mana to fix everything and let any climatic batters of good vs. evil happen as they may. Or maybe "Evil" just doesn't exist and its not about being "evil" but just making selfish choices. We've seen this time and time again. Keene is the poster child for this as well as Pete and Dragon. Gale as well.
The problem with this idea is that it is still weak. The mana in the temple was used up by Res and there was nothing left hence the fact that it collapsed. For enough magic to somehow leaked out during that battle to cause these kind of changes is improbable. The same goes for magic energy to have leaked out of Pandemonium during the portal being opened. Housepets has never been good at "detail" but there has always been an explanation for the supernatural events. Pete and Dragon are playing a game that involves granting the mortals powers. There were rules. So there has to be rules for this as well.

2) Unknown Villain: I still believe in this. We've seen too many supernatural entities to rule out the possibility that someone somewhere is manipulating events to work for their favor. What that goal is, that is the question? In my mind all roads lead to Egypt because Keene practically said it as much. Beyond that though, there isn't much else to say without more solid evidence. We simply don't know who. We have suspects with no evidence to hold them accountable. Unless we start interviewing witnesses or ask Kitsune about it, there is no way to know any details. Someone is pulling strings to get their way. The neighborhood is turning into a huge chess board and the pieces are being moved around. Lois being changed into an animal is basically moving her piece to a different part of the board. Now it's our heroes move.
Something else worth mentioning is harking back to my "there is no evil" comment. I use the word "villain" a lot but there is a possibility that whoever is responsible is doing this for a good reason. "The ends justify the means" so to speak. This basically means that someone "good" is doing these things for the sake peace, rainbows, and unicorns. It boils down to a matter of perspective. Definitely a moral gray area. I don't think this is the case at all, but worth mentioning.

Now it is worth mentioning something, a combination of the two. There is a mysterious force and someone is planning to use this to their advantage. I don't know all the details and there are two numerous possibilities to list off.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I'm gonna throw in one more theory: What if all the events, meaning from the time he was in he first turned to the when he witness Lois turn, was just Marion having a major nightmare that was brought on by someone as a way to get him to atone for something he did like, say, mistreat an animal? Therefore, whoever gave him the nightmare is letting him live life as an animal just to see what all they go through which, when he finally "wakes up", he'd have a better understanding and respect for them and would then go to Keene Milton to help him with the whole ECP program?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Robotech_Master

Post by Robotech_Master »

Really, there are a lot of unanswered questions that may tie into the coming plot.

Consider: Mr. Steward was transformed on the Milton premises, right after Keene told him he'd been on camera the whole time. Shouldn't the transformation have been on-camera, too? And yet, no one seems to know about it—as far as anyone's been heard to say so far, there had only been one other human/animal transformation, that being Thomas.

Was there just not a camera in that room? Or was nobody watching it for some reason? (But even if there wasn't a camera in that room, shouldn't the a badger seen leaving without ever coming in, by cameras in other places, be considered odd?) Or is Keene fully aware of it and keeping mum for some reason?

(It seems likely that Thomas didn't say anything about Steward's change; as much as he hates the Miltons, he wouldn't want to make things easy for them. Maybe he thinks Steward at large will make more trouble for the Miltons than he would in a zoo cage of his own.)

And there was Steward's odd little "Interesting. Very interesting." when he met him at Jessica's, followed by his blatant attempts to steer Marion toward the ECP. Why does he find it so "interesting" that a female squirrel should happen to be named Marion? Did he, perhaps, have foreknowledge that a teenager named Marion was about to be transformed into an animal of some unpredictable kind but no way of knowing what yet? Why does he want Marion in the ECP? Just to make more trouble for the Miltons et al? Or is there some more complicated motive?

Was Thomas's little snake-in-Eden act with the devil horns part of a plan concerning the animal transformations? Did he have something to do with Lois's change? Or is he just doing everything he can to make life hard for the ferrets who connived him out of his rightful share of the fortune without actually knowing what's going on?

Was Marion's change intentional? Was he chosen because he was a teenager in Babylon Gardens, meaning that he'd be in the school Miles taught, and so naturally become involved with the ECP and Milton crew? Or was it completely random? Was Lois completely random, the result of a change "infection" from Marion, or intentionally triggered by whoever was responsible for Marion's?

So many questions. And of course, the answers are out there. Can't wait 'til the story picks up again…

So apparently writing poems about the comics is something people do around here.

Okay, sounds like fun. Let's try this…

A good idea, so Lois thinks
Is to look into Marion's jinx
While Marion gambles
Provoking a camel
Surprise! Lois turns to a lynx!
Last edited by Robotech_Master on Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:40 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Actually its only Welsh that makes poems about the comics but you are free to also make them up if you wish.
Argent

Post by Argent »

SeanWolf wrote:I'm gonna throw in one more theory: What if all the events, meaning from the time he was in he first turned to the when he witness Lois turn, was just Marion having a major nightmare that was brought on by someone as a way to get him to atone for something he did like, say, mistreat an animal?
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x5sbfn3
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

SeanWolf wrote:I'm gonna throw in one more theory: What if all the events, meaning from the time he was in he first turned to the when he witness Lois turn, was just Marion having a major nightmare that was brought on by someone as a way to get him to atone for something he did like, say, mistreat an animal? Therefore, whoever gave him the nightmare is letting him live life as an animal just to see what all they go through which, when he finally "wakes up", he'd have a better understanding and respect for them and would then go to Keene Milton to help him with the whole ECP program?
While not outside the abilities of at least one cast member (Kitsune) it would be a colossal letdown to have Marion Wake-Up and this was all a Dallas-like dream. I mean the TV show, not the Trek-obsessed Dalmatian.

If we were to see that in the next panel, for example, I'd expect that was actually the dream.

And for those of you who are much younger than I, Dallas was a popular 80's evening drama involving a Dallas-based family of oil company owners. At the end of a later season, they killed off a cast member and went on with the following season. Then at the beginning of the next season, he was brought back, alive, and the entire previews season was a dream. It was a choice derided by people to this day.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

dr_eirik wrote:While not outside the abilities of at least one cast member (Kitsune) it would be a colossal letdown to have Marion Wake-Up and this was all a Dallas-like dream. I mean the TV show, not the Trek-obsessed Dalmatian.

If we were to see that in the next panel, for example, I'd expect that was actually the dream.

And for those of you who are much younger than I, Dallas was a popular 80's evening drama involving a Dallas-based family of oil company owners. At the end of a later season, they killed off a cast member and went on with the following season. Then at the beginning of the next season, he was brought back, alive, and the entire previews season was a dream. It was a choice derided by people to this day.
Rick could be extra meta-cruel and have it BEING Dallas's dream.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:While not outside the abilities of at least one cast member (Kitsune) it would be a colossal letdown to have Marion Wake-Up and this was all a Dallas-like dream. I mean the TV show, not the Trek-obsessed Dalmatian.

Well, now you have St. Elsewhere. 8-)
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:

Or maybe it is a illusion created by Kitsune. The game he played with Lester never ended and all the entire neighborhood is apart of it. Or maybe its a different game. Not U&U but something else like Animals Against Humanity. Or maybe it is really a live action version of Clue. To win and for everything to go back to normal, they must find who did. It was Kitsune in the Abandoned Manor with the Candlestick!
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I honestly don't think that Rick would put together a whole arc about transformations only to just make it be a big fantasy on the part of someone. When Rick sets something up, he usually does it for a purpose.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I honestly don't think that Rick would put together a whole arc about transformations only to just make it be a big fantasy on the part of someone. When Rick sets something up, he usually does it for a purpose.
Yeah, it's one of those things that's in the realm of possibility, but it is almost impossible that Rick would do that.

Inside the universe of HP, Lois is now feline, Marion is still a squirrel, and everyone is most certainly wide awake.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I honestly don't think that Rick would put together a whole arc about transformations only to just make it be a big fantasy on the part of someone. When Rick sets something up, he usually does it for a purpose.
Yeah, it's one of those things that's in the realm of possibility, but it is almost impossible that Rick would do that.

Inside the universe of HP, Lois is now feline, Marion is still a squirrel, and everyone is most certainly wide awake.
Although Poncho might think he's dreaming. :lol:
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

Lois looks cuddly in her feral cat form
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

OdedZeituni98 wrote:Lois looks cuddly in her feral cat form
it's the interplay of spots and spectacles - subtle, sophisticated, and so contemporary.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
it's the interplay of spots and spectacles - subtle, sophisticated, and so contemporary.
So she is more fashion forward as a lynx/bobcat than she was as a human?
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

the reason why I love this comic is because I love everything cuddly (by cuddly I mean animals)

I really love to cuddle animals you see, but it happens really rarely
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

I'm sure Poncho would agree with that.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

CunningFox wrote:
I'm sure Poncho would agree with that.
Assuming that he can stop stammering long enough to get a word out. He does seem just a bit stunned.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I would imagine that he is literally gonna start drooling over her in a minute and might get down on one knee to propose saying he'll get her the dead chicken later. :lol:
Robotech_Master

Post by Robotech_Master »

We don't know that she is still a she, and I think he's more stunned by seeing an animal transformation go off right before his eyes than by any romantic inclinations.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Robotech_Master wrote:We don't know that she is still a she, and I think he's more stunned by seeing an animal transformation go off right before his eyes than by any romantic inclinations.
To be fair, we're basing this speculation on his crush on Gale, which is very possibly more personal to Poncho. Regardless of what gender her new body has, I'm sure Poncho at some point is going to echo back her "adorable" comment.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I guess we will see in the future then if Lois is still a female. If she has went from a "Lois" to a "Lowell", then we'll get it if Poncho who seems to like big cats doesn't melt into a puddle of goo. :D
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:I want to put something else on the table. I’ve been thinking for awhile how the characters are like Harry Potter characters. Marion is Harry obviously and Lois is Hermione. So that leaves Bronson to play Ron. That means he needs to be changed. If Lois does have the will to go back to school then maybe Bronson will finally think he has a chance with her. That act alone should invite karmic punishment on him and complete the trio.
I don't think a Ron character type is strictly necessary. Besides, I got the impression Marion and Lois wouldn't work with Bronson even if he was transformed as well.
dr_eirik wrote:
Sir Chestnut wrote:
Other than playing with chew toys I don't think King has ever exhibited any sort of canine instinct.
Well, he fell for, married and had puppies with a husky, so there had to be some kind of instincts there.
But he also doesn't sniff buts and can't stand washing his kids like a dog. It seems dog instincts are all or nothing and inherited independently.
fenrirblack wrote:The neighborhood is turning into a huge chess board and the pieces are being moved around.
Chess? To compare the game to chess would be like comparing all of civilization to an amoeba!
I know that game is over so the quote doesn't completely apply, but you set yourself up for that too perfectly.
Robotech_Master wrote:Really, there are a lot of unanswered questions that may tie into the coming plot.

Consider: Mr. Steward was transformed on the Milton premises, right after Keene told him he'd been on camera the whole time. Shouldn't the transformation have been on-camera, too? And yet, no one seems to know about it—as far as anyone's been heard to say so far, there had only been one other human/animal transformation, that being Thomas.

Was there just not a camera in that room? Or was nobody watching it for some reason? (But even if there wasn't a camera in that room, shouldn't the a badger seen leaving without ever coming in, by cameras in other places, be considered odd?) Or is Keene fully aware of it and keeping mum for some reason?
I am of the belief that Keene knows Steward changed into a badger and "escaped". In that case I'm not sure why Lana would tell Marion about Thomas but not Steward as I would imagine the reasons for or against talking about one would be the same for both. Perhaps Keene only told Lana about Thomas because the ECP needs to know about him to take care of him in the zoo.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I guess we will see in the future then if Lois is still a female. If she has went from a "Lois" to a "Lowell", then we'll get it if Poncho who seems to like big cats doesn't melt into a puddle of goo. :D
Even if her sex changed, Lois would still be Lois. I don't know if Poncho would be attracted to masculine cats the same way he was attracted to Gale.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Thomas was still Thomas when he transformed into a camel and when he did Sofia immediately fell hard for him.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Poor dear ....
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I guess that there is no accounting for taste even if you are a camel.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I guess we will see in the future then if Lois is still a female. If she has went from a "Lois" to a "Lowell", then we'll get it if Poncho who seems to like big cats doesn't melt into a puddle of goo. :D
Louis is a male name. Lois to Louis would be more euphonious.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't even think of that when I posted it. Great catch!

Though when I see the name "Louis", I imagine it being pronounced as "Lou-ie" like the baseball bat.

If Lois was named Louise, that would have worked out a lot better because Louise can be a male name but if it is spelled "Luis".
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:I'm going to throw a guess into the ring and say that Lois did NOT gender-swap for several reasons...E. I think it would only happen to Marion as a "special case" and not something that would happen every time because why would it need too?...
It wouldn't need to happen every time, jut 50%. That's not to say you other points aren't valid; even if it's a coin flip in universe, pun intended, Rick Griffin ultimately chooses whatever outcome is better for the narrative.
And so far, even Marion's gender-swap has served ZERO narrative purpose. We got a few gags but that's it. For the most part it's been ignored by the cast except for a few cases. It hasn't effected Marion's school day or his conversations with the other animals after Jess.
Something I'd like to add on is just because Rick Griffin can might be reason enough. Some people were against Marion's double transformation, but Rick Griffin doesn't think it's as important to keep characters' original sex.
Rick's Sketchbook wrote:...people tend to treat it like something you’re not allowed to play around with, whereas I am and have always been of the opinion that the majority of the social boundaries are artificial anyway–and why is biology treated as sacred anyhow? Bodies are stupid anyway! If I can play around with the idea of someone being made out of living plush or having a massive unrealistic [male part] then I sure as hell can make it a regular ol’ [female part].
The cape comes with the promotion.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He might not have done anything with Marion's gender change now but whose to say it won't happen in the future? ;)