2019/10/02 - Zoo Review

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
dr_eirik

Re: 2019/10/02 - Zoo Review

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: It would make sense that Keene knew about Steward but when you think about it, unless Keene had security cameras spread throughout the house and property there wouldn’t be anyway of seeing his great escape. Even then there is the strong possibility Steward slipped past them.
I think this will be cleared up in the next couple of weeks somehow, but I'm assuming Steward squirreled away some of the money, so Keene and the authorities may have simply assumed he fled and was living out on the lam. The thing is, that would mean for some reason Thomas didn't tell anyone about Steward.

I guess if nothing else we're going to find out more about what's been happening that we haven't seen.
fenrirblack wrote: As far as Marion not trusting Thomas, there isn’t really a reason for that. Keene has helped Marion so far and Lois is there. I would be more inclined to believe Thomas could manipulate Marion with lies if Lois wasn’t there. Even then what would Thomas gain from manipulating Marion. He’s in a zoo so how his two teenagers going to help him. I can’t see him and Steward on speaking terms. If Marion leaves the ECP and turns his back on Keene, how does that hurt Keene? Steward is the most likely choice to the point it’s obvious. Whether or not Lois does get changed is still the question.
It's hard to say what *any* motivations are right now because we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle. The only ones with clear motivations are Marion and Lois.

Keene is likely motivated by his desire to see the ECP expand, but in my mind it's a bit of an open question how far he's willing to go and how much he already knew.

Steward is a real mystery to me. He is certainly set up to be the villian, but other than a possible desire to bring down the ECP and the Milton ferrets specifically, it's hard to see how the coin accomplishes that task unless he finds a way to lay blame at their paws for the transformation of Marion. And I suppose Lois if it comes to that. There is a little part of me that thinks that his motives are more nuanced than that, that he may have had a change of heart after a couple years as a badger.

Thomas is a real wild card here, only because we haven't seen him since he spit the coin out at Steward. If he's happy in the zoo, then he may just be a touch point for us to catch up on his life and then he fades away until a camel or two are needed for the story. If he's been ranting to anyone that would listen that he was really human and he's going nuts in the zoo, then he may become more important to the story than we've realized.

Oddly, none of this feels like it's going to answer the question of why Marion changed in the first place. Keene didn't do it because he had to have an epiphany after he was informed to do his "thing". Steward didn't do it because he wasn't waiting nearby that morning to steer Marion to his goals. I doubt Thomas would have done it, since it's a bit hard for a camel to sneak around Babylon Gardens without being seen. The only suspects really are Kitsune (who makes no sense), a previously unknown celestial, or some bizzare accident of some of our regular cast (Tarot/Sabrina or the Nerds, for example.)
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Well, Marion, you're being pretty wrong by saying that. King, who you got to meet, isn't really doing an animal life (due to Keene, of course). :) Steward and Thomas are doing an animal life, instead, one in the woods and the other at the zoo. It's good Lana told you about the camel. ;) Both turned into animals because of a coin from that temple, and now I wonder if Marion touched something from there the day before the transformation... :roll: You need to meet also Thomas now. Lois doesn't want to leave you at the zoo, silly squirrel. :P It can be a good place to live, yeah, but maybe just too boring after long time for you. ;)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Theories
Is Steward A Villain: YES.

Steward's Goal: Regaining his Old Life and/or Revenge

Did He Change Marion: No

Who Changed Marion: Dino-Demon or another new supernatural character that has not been introduced.

The Marion & Lois Part
-Keene recruits Marion into the ECP and uses him to better the ECP's role while Marion can regain his normal life and human rights.
-After talking to Thomas, Lois and Marion find Steward in the woods. Steward explains the magical happenings in Babylon Garden and the coin.
---Lois comes in contact with the coin

The Steward Part
-Steward steps out of the shadows and pleads with the Milton's to take him into the ECP after hearing about Marion.
-Steward goes behind Keene's back and starts transforming humans into animals for the ECP to get back into Keene's good graces.
--Marion goes to talk Steward about how he was transformed. He sees this as an opportunity to use the coin to his advantage and take advantage of the situation.
--Steward finds an ally with a supernatural entity and together plot to take down the ECP
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

fenrirblack wrote:Theories
Is Steward A Villain: YES.

Steward's Goal: Regaining his Old Life and/or Revenge

Did He Change Marion: No

Who Changed Marion: Dino-Demon or another new supernatural character that has not been introduced.

The Marion & Lois Part
-Keene recruits Marion into the ECP and uses him to better the ECP's role while Marion can regain his normal life and human rights.
-After talking to Thomas, Lois and Marion find Steward in the woods. Steward explains the magical happenings in Babylon Garden and the coin.
---Lois comes in contact with the coin

The Steward Part
-Steward steps out of the shadows and pleads with the Milton's to take him into the ECP after hearing about Marion.
-Steward goes behind Keene's back and starts transforming humans into animals for the ECP to get back into Keene's good graces.
--Marion goes to talk Steward about how he was transformed. He sees this as an opportunity to use the coin to his advantage and take advantage of the situation.
--Steward finds an ally with a supernatural entity and together plot to take down the ECP
If it wasn't Steward and was, instead, another Celestial...then I'm going with the idea that maybe there was another U&U player at one point who wants revenge against Kitsune and company.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: As far as Marion not trusting Thomas, there isn’t really a reason for that. Keene has helped Marion so far and Lois is there. I would be more inclined to believe Thomas could manipulate Marion with lies if Lois wasn’t there. Even then what would Thomas gain from manipulating Marion. He’s in a zoo so how his two teenagers going to help him. I can’t see him and Steward on speaking terms. If Marion leaves the ECP and turns his back on Keene, how does that hurt Keene? Steward is the most likely choice to the point it’s obvious. Whether or not Lois does get changed is still the question.
It's hard to say what *any* motivations are right now because we don't have all the pieces of the puzzle. The only ones with clear motivations are Marion and Lois.

Keene is likely motivated by his desire to see the ECP expand, but in my mind it's a bit of an open question how far he's willing to go and how much he already knew.

Steward is a real mystery to me. He is certainly set up to be the villian, but other than a possible desire to bring down the ECP and the Milton ferrets specifically, it's hard to see how the coin accomplishes that task unless he finds a way to lay blame at their paws for the transformation of Marion. And I suppose Lois if it comes to that. There is a little part of me that thinks that his motives are more nuanced than that, that he may have had a change of heart after a couple years as a badger.

Thomas is a real wild card here, only because we haven't seen him since he spit the coin out at Steward. If he's happy in the zoo, then he may just be a touch point for us to catch up on his life and then he fades away until a camel or two are needed for the story. If he's been ranting to anyone that would listen that he was really human and he's going nuts in the zoo, then he may become more important to the story than we've realized.
Thomas is a key to Steward. I don't think his role is any more significant than that. If I was writing this then I would drop Thomas in solely to accomplish two things. First to check in on him since the reader would be curious and to show Marion that no matter how bad things are right now, it could be worse (this part depends on whether or not Thomas is content at the Zoo or yelling at patrons like a lunatic on the subway). The other thing is to have a viable reason to lead Marion and Lois back to Steward and reveal that the badger is more than meets the eye. Right now neither Marion or Steward have reason to reveal to one another that they used to be human or had any reason before when they talked.

Steward being the villain creates a divergence in the story. His motives are unknown but one doesn't need to know the motives to know that he is trouble. He was always trouble. My thoughts on Steward's motives would be to again regain normalcy or revenge. Marion informs Steward that Keene and the rest know about him. That creates a window for Steward to waltz back into the Miltons lives. From there af few things can happen. Steward and Keene team up to unleash a plague which is unlikely. Keene takes pity on Steward and rehires him. Steward unleashes his own plague and creates a mass panic where people believe that they are doing this on purpose which is an idea that has already been planted. That comment might be a joke or could be the most significant thing to happen. Now if this happens then the Miltons are ruined and Steward gets his vengeance.
This is a divergence and that was one path. The other two are closely related. There has been talk for months that Marion could become a villain in his own right. This is possible. He's still vulnerable, he's young, and despite his progress he's fragile and frustrated. Steward could do what King apparently is not and take Marion under his wing. Turn Marion against the ECP or use him as a double agent. There is a lot that can be done but the most important thing is Steward becomes Marion's guru not King. The OTHER option is the more sensible one. Marion uses this field trip to find clarity and acceptance with his situation. Will he be 100% okay with being a squirrel, no. But he'll be adjusted enough to finish the school year and graduate and then find his home among the pets. He wants a place where he can be happy, that is Babylon Gardens.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looks like we now know exactly what the heck has happened to Thomas. He got sent to the zoo. He's there now with the rest of the animals. Now I'm wondering if it was the Milton's who paid for him to become a zoo animal. Have to admit, that would be very funny. Come see Thomas, the angry snarling camel who INSISTS he was a human. :D
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Maybe he figured the zoo was the best place for laying low. It's not as if there are many places in the US you can be inconspicuous as a camel.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Looks like we now know exactly what the heck has happened to Thomas. He got sent to the zoo. He's there now with the rest of the animals. Now I'm wondering if it was the Milton's who paid for him to become a zoo animal. Have to admit, that would be very funny. Come see Thomas, the angry snarling camel who INSISTS he was a human. :D

I don't think that Thomas would have to have been taken to the zoo, it seems that zoo animal status is voluntary and even a paid position. Thomas may have ended up there initially by default, since he may have seen no other intimidate options for shelter and food, then ended up staying for whatever reason

(Minor idea, but I'm on lunch and have a few ,minutes to kill)

<Lois sneaks Marion into the zoo in her bag, carrying it so he can look out.>
Marion: So, how are we going to do this? What are we even doing?
Lois: Look, if this guy was turned into a camel, maybe he knows something that will help you. Maybe something that will let us figure out how to turn you back.
Marion: If he knew something, then don't you think he'd not be a camel anymore?
Lois: Hush, you have any better ideas?
Marion: OK, I guess. So how do we figure out which one is him?
<They arrive at the camel enclosure where there are several of them wandering around and chatting. One of them comes up to them.>
Camel: Hi there, young lady! Do you have any questions for us?
Lois: Well, I've got a really, really odd question. Someone told me that one of the camels here might have once been human?
Camel: <Rolls his eyes> Oh, that would be Thomas, or so he says anyway. I think he's got a few screws loose myself. Thomas! This young woman has questions for you!
<Thomas raises his head and walks over>
Thomas: It's your turn to answer question, Atticus. What's up?
Lois: I heard you were once human, and I have questions.
Thomas: <Looks startled, then suspicious> Who told you? Why?
Marion: <Pops head out of the backpack> I told her, I was told by Lana Milton. She told me because I was human until a few days ago.
Thomas: <Stares, narrows his eyes> The Miltons? Did they get you, too?
Lois: What do you mean, "Too"?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

If I recall, Keene was the first person Thomas spoke to after being turned into a camel, which is when Keene informed him that he was aware of the curse and that he had already contacted the zoo to come pick him up.
After that, Thomas gives Steward the coin while Keene is off panel so it is possible that Keene left and didn't see Steward's transformation.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Mr. Whisper wrote:If I recall, Keene was the first person Thomas spoke to after being turned into a camel, which is when Keene informed him that he was aware of the curse and that he had already contacted the zoo to come pick him up.
After that, Thomas gives Steward the coin while Keene is off panel so it is possible that Keene left and didn't see Steward's transformation.
Close:

The next panel is the only mention of the zoo itself, and that comes from Thomas. By then, Keene is evidently way off panel.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

Nobody wrote:
VeryAngryDeer wrote:Marion is effectively a disabled person at this point. When people are disabled, they are given tools to help them recover the functionality they lost. Hearing aids, crutches, wheelchairs, wheelchair ramps, glasses. Marion is trying to go about his day as if he is still human sized, and he's suffering for it.
I think that's a pretty apt comparison, though at the moment, at least the system has an excuse: they've never had a tiny-tiny person they've had to deal with. Even dwarfism doesn't produce people that small, so this sudden new situation has not given anyone time to adjust and develop workarounds for it. I can imagine that being extremely frustrating.
That said, Marion's woe-is-me attitude is annoying. It's a bad way to go about things, but it is very much the way teenagers do them, so I feel I have to let that slide. If the ECP is doing it's job, it ought to be talking with him after every school day to learn what new ways they could make things easier.

Then again, Keene pretty clearly has his own motivations for this situation, so he may not actually be thinking about what's best for Marion.
I get that the system needs time to adjust, I'm just saying that personally I'd be a lot more proactive about getting myself access to tools. When I have a problem, I think about how to solve it, rather than fall into an abyss of self-pity.

Its that mindset which makes me think Lois would handle Marion's situation far better if the roles were reversed.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

dr_eirik wrote:
Mr. Whisper wrote:If I recall, Keene was the first person Thomas spoke to after being turned into a camel, which is when Keene informed him that he was aware of the curse and that he had already contacted the zoo to come pick him up.
Close:

The next panel is the only mention of the zoo itself, and that comes from Thomas. By then, Keene is evidently way off panel.
Wait a minute... Keene knows about the curse? So does that mean he should have suspicions on how what happened to Marion happened?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

VeryAngryDeer wrote: I get that the system needs time to adjust, I'm just saying that personally I'd be a lot more proactive about getting myself access to tools. When I have a problem, I think about how to solve it, rather than fall into an abyss of self-pity.

Its that mindset which makes me think Lois would handle Marion's situation far better if the roles were reversed.
Keep in mind that Marion has been a squirrel about 3-4 days at most, and the first day was spent trying to find food and shelter before Lois located him. For him, this is a sudden handicap with no precedent to fall back on. He's also on the tail end of a terrible day. I think in the panels we saw before he started his day (in particular, when he was getting new clothes) he seemed upbeat and hopeful. It was meeting reality head on when he thought he was ready where it all fell apart.
Gameb18oy wrote: Wait a minute... Keene knows about the curse? So does that mean he should have suspicions on how what happened to Marion happened?
Keene knew the gold was cursed going all the way back to the original Temple Crashers arc. Pete told him as much, though I don't think he told him the exact nature of the curse. I don't think he knew what it would do until Thomas the Camel showed up at his mansion.

As for Marion, we don't really know what Keene knows and what he's told Marion (or Lana, for that matter). Keene is aware of two completely different ways to be turned into an animal (Deity or Coin) and Marion has at least been old about the first.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote: Wait a minute... Keene knows about the curse? So does that mean he should have suspicions on how what happened to Marion happened?
Keene knew the gold was cursed going all the way back to the original Temple Crashers arc. Pete told him as much, though I don't think he told him the exact nature of the curse. I don't think he knew what it would do until Thomas the Camel showed up at his mansion.

As for Marion, we don't really know what Keene knows and what he's told Marion (or Lana, for that matter). Keene is aware of two completely different ways to be turned into an animal (Deity or Coin) and Marion has at least been old about the first.
Keene might have suspicions about the treasure but wouldn't know that Thomas managed to smuggle one out. The treasure itself would be a passing thought that would only be relevant if brought up in conversation. Keene has been researching magic and the temple for years. He could know of many different ways of transforming a human into an animal. Not to mention, Keene might simply not care about the "How" as much as the "What" as in "What do we do with Marion?" Even if Keene knew, there would be no advantage to telling anyone about the treasure especially considering the students reaction. Like we've been saying/joking if people knew of the coin's power it could create mass hysteria on both sides, those who want to change versus those who fear it.
VeryAngryDeer

Post by VeryAngryDeer »

dr_eirik wrote:
VeryAngryDeer wrote: I get that the system needs time to adjust, I'm just saying that personally I'd be a lot more proactive about getting myself access to tools. When I have a problem, I think about how to solve it, rather than fall into an abyss of self-pity.

Keep in mind that Marion has been a squirrel about 3-4 days at most, and the first day was spent trying to find food and shelter before Lois located him. For him, this is a sudden handicap with no precedent to fall back on. He's also on the tail end of a terrible day. I think in the panels we saw before he started his day (in particular, when he was getting new clothes) he seemed upbeat and hopeful. It was meeting reality head on when he thought he was ready where it all fell apart.
I'm keeping it in mind. Marion's response is understandable, and most people would probably take it the same way. Having your hopes dashed repeatedly is hard. Especially when coupled with the type of existential angst that the very possibility of his situation creates - not only is he handicapped, but he's got to fit the existence of magic and higher beings into his worldview at the same time.

"It was meeting reality head on when he thought he was ready where it all fell apart."
That part really stands out to me. Why did he think he was ready? Perhaps because he didn't think about what could go wrong. If you can predict failure, you can take steps to prevent it. I think Lois would have done that. The only time we've seen Marion take a problem and actively try to solve it was when he got on his laptop to look for a cure for squirrelness. Lois seems to take that approach with everything she does.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Lana knows who a certain Camel was?
I wonder if she ever told Keene?
Are you suggesting that Lana found out on her own and never told Keene she found out, because Keene was one of the first people to see Thomas as a camel.
fenrirblack wrote:It would make sense that Keene knew about Steward but when you think about it, unless Keene had security cameras spread throughout the house and property there wouldn’t be anyway of seeing his great escape. Even then there is the strong possibility Steward slipped past them.
The manor has at least enough security cameras to catch everything Steward did on camera. If they have some they probably have plenty and if Steward got caught before then he doesn't know where the blind spots are.
Nobody wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Marion is effectively a disabled person at this point. When people are disabled, they are given tools to help them recover the functionality they lost. Hearing aids, crutches, wheelchairs, wheelchair ramps, glasses. Marion is trying to go about his day as if he is still human sized, and he's suffering for it.
I think that's a pretty apt comparison, though at the moment, at least the system has an excuse: they've never had a tiny-tiny person they've had to deal with. Even dwarfism doesn't produce people that small, so this sudden new situation has not given anyone time to adjust and develop workarounds for it. I can imagine that being extremely frustrating.
They did provide the high-chair, though overall the school hasn't seemed to be trying very hard even with the short notice. I think they are hiding behind the "treat [Marion] exactly as how... any other student would be treated" so as not to feel obligated.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Looks like we now know exactly what the heck has happened to Thomas. He got sent to the zoo. He's there now with the rest of the animals. Now I'm wondering if it was the Milton's who paid for him to become a zoo animal. Have to admit, that would be very funny. Come see Thomas, the angry snarling camel who INSISTS he was a human. :D
It is a little odd that Thomas ended up at the zoo since at the press conference there was only one camel, Sophia, with the representatives from the zoo.
Gameb18oy wrote:Wait a minute... Keene knows about the curse? So does that mean he should have suspicions on how what happened to Marion happened?
Suspicions, maybe, but as someone always points out whenever someone mentions the coin here, there's a plethora of reasons why it wouldn't be the coin's doing and Keene would know at least some of them.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:

I'm keeping it in mind. Marion's response is understandable, and most people would probably take it the same way. Having your hopes dashed repeatedly is hard. Especially when coupled with the type of existential angst that the very possibility of his situation creates - not only is he handicapped, but he's got to fit the existence of magic and higher beings into his worldview at the same time.

"It was meeting reality head on when he thought he was ready where it all fell apart."
That part really stands out to me. Why did he think he was ready? Perhaps because he didn't think about what could go wrong. If you can predict failure, you can take steps to prevent it. I think Lois would have done that. The only time we've seen Marion take a problem and actively try to solve it was when he got on his laptop to look for a cure for squirrelness. Lois seems to take that approach with everything she does.
The only things Marion was not fully prepared for was everyone finding out who he was literally as school started and clearly did not anticipate how he would get around the school with such short legs. The later being something that everyone should have seen coming and prepared for. Or at least Marion should have kept his mouth shut and essentially asked for special treatment because of his physical limitations which is understandable in any kind of situation. The bathroom thing is still questionable because three to four days as a squirrel he should have come up with a system for using a toilet but that is only how you interpret that scene; as him struggling to use a toilet in general or if he would need a different method of using a "public" toilet versus one at home.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

VeryAngryDeer wrote:
Nobody wrote:
VeryAngryDeer wrote:Marion is effectively a disabled person at this point. When people are disabled, they are given tools to help them recover the functionality they lost. Hearing aids, crutches, wheelchairs, wheelchair ramps, glasses. Marion is trying to go about his day as if he is still human sized, and he's suffering for it.
That said, Marion's woe-is-me attitude is annoying. It's a bad way to go about things, but it is very much the way teenagers do them, so I feel I have to let that slide. If the ECP is doing it's job, it ought to be talking with him after every school day to learn what new ways they could make things easier.

Then again, Keene pretty clearly has his own motivations for this situation, so he may not actually be thinking about what's best for Marion.
I get that the system needs time to adjust, I'm just saying that personally I'd be a lot more proactive about getting myself access to tools. When I have a problem, I think about how to solve it, rather than fall into an abyss of self-pity.

Lois does seem to have a better head on her shoulders. Certainly she has more sense than Mrs. Marion's Mom.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Nobody wrote:
Lois does seem to have a better head on her shoulders. Certainly she has more sense than Mrs. Marion's Mom.
I don't know about that. She got home from work one day and found a random squirrel going though some caffeine induced convulsions and having torn a phone book up all over the place. She didn't know her son was missing and, even if she did, there is no earthly reason why she'd expect that he'd be a female squirrel.

Lois had gotten the text messages and had all day to think about it, and still didn't believe Marion right away. She wanted to find the squirrel because she was the only connection to her missing boyfriend. She only allowed the possibility of him not lying after he broke down. And even then she wasn't convinced 100%.

I suspect that if Lois changes now, she'd handle it better. But at least she doesn't have to get over the shock of not knowing this was even possible.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:Steward being the villain creates a divergence in the story. His motives are unknown but one doesn't need to know the motives to know that he is trouble. He was always trouble. My thoughts on Steward's motives would be to again regain normalcy or revenge. Marion informs Steward that Keene and the rest know about him. That creates a window for Steward to waltz back into the Miltons lives. From there af few things can happen. Steward and Keene team up to unleash a plague which is unlikely. Keene takes pity on Steward and rehires him.
Keen is not naive enough to hire Steward in any role that would give him a hook to betray him again. Maybe as a guard in a warehouse in Alaska. Nothing that makes him part of the Milton's lives again.

Since Keene knows what the gold does and has since decided there's an advantage to having ex-human animals to advance the cause of the ECP, maybe he'll excavate the temple looking for more coins.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Argent wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Steward being the villain creates a divergence in the story. His motives are unknown but one doesn't need to know the motives to know that he is trouble. He was always trouble. My thoughts on Steward's motives would be to again regain normalcy or revenge. Marion informs Steward that Keene and the rest know about him. That creates a window for Steward to waltz back into the Miltons lives. From there af few things can happen. Steward and Keene team up to unleash a plague which is unlikely. Keene takes pity on Steward and rehires him.
Keen is not naive enough to hire Steward in any role that would give him a hook to betray him again. Maybe as a guard in a warehouse in Alaska. Nothing that makes him part of the Milton's lives again.
Keep your enemies close. I would put Steward in a position where I could keep an eye on him while making sure he's not someplace where he could do any real harm. I mean Steward isn't some mastermind super villain. He's a man who tried to embezzle the Milton's. True that there is no reason to trust him but he's powerless right now and if the Milton's took him into the ECP as long as he is not put in a position of power over the finances or anything significant there is no need to ship him off somewhere. His power came from his position and now he's not even human anymore so he's harmless except for the fact he has the coin.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

fenrirblack wrote:His power came from his position and now he's not even human anymore so he's harmless except for the fact he has the coin.
Oh, I don't know about harmless. Badgers have some pretty nasty claws and teeth. Plus, I believe their jaws are evolved to snap shut and hold tight, though don't quote me on that until it's confirmed I'm remembering this correctly.

Also, completely unrelated to anything other than Marion's behavior, but I can't believe it didn't occur to me earlier: "Get in the bag, Shinji."
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I keep thinking Lois and Marion wandering in the zoo as like the episode from "Lady and the Tramp" where it's more likely to be "Through the Looking Glass." Eventually, though, our pilgrims will be back with Jessica's treehouse. Wonder if Thomas and Sophie will get "sprung"?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well Thomas was brought up for a reason so if he doesn't escape or at least try to and failure ensues in multiple attempts I would be just a tad disappointed.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

SeanWolf wrote:I don't think it would be Eudoant as what would he gain from turning someone into a animal?
Lots! For one, his escapees include a ferret and a marten who would definitely be more willing to trust another animal, and I imagine tracking down that demon would be easier with an animal's heightened senses as well. There is no solid evidence to confirm it, but the comic seems to imply that the animals are under Heaven's protection, so without being able to enlist an animal directly, Eudoant would have to pull a Pete and turn a human to do his bidding instead.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:Keep your enemies close. I would put Steward in a position where I could keep an eye on him while making sure he's not someplace where he could do any real harm.
Cameras.

"Keene, you're still on the computer? It's 3AM!"
"Watching Steward trying to lock the loading dock in Juneau with those big badger claws of his, it's hilarious."
"Bedtime! Now!"
"Aww, he just slipped on the ice again!"
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Well Thomas was brought up for a reason so if he doesn't escape or at least try to and failure ensues in multiple attempts I would be just a tad disappointed.
I guess we'll find out as soon as the next comic drops, but I don't think that the zoo really prevents the animals from leaving in the same way as, say, a prison. Or a zoo on our world. The kangaroos seem to come and go as they please, for example. And Poncho only works at the zoo part time. And they were happy to let Karishad leave.

The only reason I could see that they'd prevent him from leaving is if they thought he was a danger to himself or others. I suppose if he is ranting about being really a human then they might have held him in.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Well Thomas was brought up for a reason so if he doesn't escape or at least try to and failure ensues in multiple attempts I would be just a tad disappointed.
I guess we'll find out as soon as the next comic drops, but I don't think that the zoo really prevents the animals from leaving in the same way as, say, a prison. Or a zoo on our world. The kangaroos seem to come and go as they please, for example. And Poncho only works at the zoo part time. And they were happy to let Karishad leave.

The only reason I could see that they'd prevent him from leaving is if they thought he was a danger to himself or others. I suppose if he is ranting about being really a human then they might have held him in.
I'm pretty sure nothing impedes Karishad; Shardal might be a different matter..........
Argent

Post by Argent »

dr_eirik wrote:I guess we'll find out as soon as the next comic drops, but I don't think that the zoo really prevents the animals from leaving in the same way as, say, a prison.
Except for the Black Footed Ferrets.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:I guess we'll find out as soon as the next comic drops, but I don't think that the zoo really prevents the animals from leaving in the same way as, say, a prison.
You know, I had totally forgotten about them. Maybe because they were endangered?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since it seems that Thomas was unable to leave the zoo at any points also (if he could, he would have went back to the Milton manor to try to take revenge), I am assuming that some animals are able to leave when they want to and others have to stay there because its too big a risk to let them leave especially if it seems like they won't come back.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
Argent wrote:
You know, I had totally forgotten about them. Maybe because they were endangered?
There is a logic to not letting the animals just come and go as they please. Think about how people reacted too Miles. Not to mention in the case of the ferrets, they are small and could get lost, kidnapped, or killed. A large predatory bird could swoop down and take them away. It's better to keep the animals inside the enclosures for their own safety and the safety of others. One accident or wrong move, and suddenly you have a hundred law suits coming your way especially if the zoo is technically responsible. Quadrupeds even more so because of the fact that they can't do things that other animals can like open doors so what do they have to gain by leaving the zoo? Predators will create panic. Most importantly having large animals running around causes people to overreact and respond negatively. Some places don't really like when normal everyday pets are walking around unattended. They're like unaccompanied minors and children. They make you nervous.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:Keep your enemies close. I would put Steward in a position where I could keep an eye on him while making sure he's not someplace where he could do any real harm.
Keeping his enemies close was basically what Keene did with Steward the first time, kept him close to keep an eye on him, and we saw how well that worked out for Keene. Not bad, actually.
(yes, Keene couldn't fire Steward, but he did have influence on what projects he worked on)
The cape comes with the promotion.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Keeping his enemies close was basically what Keene did with Steward the first time, kept him close to keep an eye on him, and we saw how well that worked out for Keene. Not bad, actually.
(yes, Keene couldn't fire Steward, but he did have influence on what projects he worked on)
Steward was a court appointed steward, right? Once he disappeared, shouldn't there have been a new one appointed?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Random thought. If we're soon to have a 'Zoo Crew', shouldn't Zach be there?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
RyanWilson

Post by RyanWilson »

As for whether the zoo animals are locked up, I have some references for that information.

First, the zoo wolves are concerned that Miles' pack is not from the zoo, not that they are out of their exhibit: http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... nside-out/

Second, the patrons at the zoo are completely unconcerned that there are wolves out of the exhibits, at least while they think the wolves are zoo animals: http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... ras-mouth/

There is no way that the fence would stop a kangaroo, so the zoo isn't even trying there: http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/200 ... p-paddock/

The animals seem to stay in their exhibits so that people don't directly bother them, though some are expected to be trapped.

Tarmac and Gambit think that the female is supposed to be in the other pen. This wouldn't be a problem if she was able to just go there. So, they are trapped: http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/200 ... -otter-be/ Also, Google Translate says that she is saying something about them being too noisy, it didn't translate well though.

The snake does escape, but the snake was not expected to be able to do so: http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/200 ... e-animals/

On the other hand, Peanut and Grape had to bribe the zookeepers here: http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/200 ... -literate/ So, the question there is whether the zoo animals are not supposed to be out of their pens, or whether the pets are not supposed to be in the pens, or both, which would make sense without the rest of the series.

I think there are a few other zoo strips, but these two are the main ones.
Argent

Post by Argent »

dr_eirik wrote:You know, I had totally forgotten about them. Maybe because they were endangered?
Or because locking up Keene satisfied the Rule of Funny?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:You know, I had totally forgotten about them. Maybe because they were endangered?
Well, that's the real reason. 8-) But speculation is fun!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Argent wrote:
Locking Keene up initially satisfied the rule of funny. Keeping him locked up for four months with no means of escape or contacting his family would have to a real explanation.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

He got locked in for that long because he never tried to reason with the zookeepers and tell them that he didn't belong there and maybe just continuously lashed at them without giving them anything to go on? You have to remember, Keene doesn't really tend to think things through.