2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
User avatar
dr_eirik
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Oh no, humanity is getting dumber and the pets are getting smarter ~ I wonder how? =P

You know, it never occurred to me, but didn't Joey and his pals grab some loot from the temple? What if that started causing this mess?
They were going to, but Starfleet uniforms didn't have pockets.
The geeks have been hanging out with Kitsune, so I think they could still be involved in this in some weird way.
They've been hanging out, but only Lester got the full treatment and I'm not sure Joey or Dallas were prepared to believe him.

I've speculated before that Marion might have gotten into his current situation because of the nerds, but that seems like the longest of shots. Then again, they were going to base a campaign around it. Maybe they did something?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"

User avatar
Mctwisp
Posts: 122
Joined: Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Mctwisp »

dr_eirik wrote:
D-Rock wrote:
Mctwisp wrote:Shouldn't Marion be in the Girl's bathroom? :lol:
He's holding to his humanity. Gender included.
I guess we technically dont know which one hes in, but I agree that it's the mens room. I just hope he managed to lock the door.
Yeah we don't but all the animals he met before his girlfriend found him was directling him as "she".

I wonder why it's dificult to Marion to discover if he's female or female. :|
"It's not a good thing to be remembered, and the worst is I remember." - McTwisp

User avatar
dr_eirik
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by dr_eirik »

Mctwisp wrote: Yeah we don't but all the animals he met before his girlfriend found him was directling him as "she".

I wonder why it's dificult to Marion to discover if he's female or female. :|
Marion is biologically a female squirrel, but he is still male in his mind.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"

User avatar
Sir Chestnut
Posts: 142
Joined: Wed Jun 05, 2019 8:47 am

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote: I've speculated before that Marion might have gotten into his current situation because of the nerds, but that seems like the longest of shots. Then again, they were going to base a campaign around it. Maybe they did something?
Also unlikely, but possible, that Kitsune screwed something up. Although he hasn't really shown any incompetence in the past, he's still a young demigod and is still learning.
Avatar by Fluffster

User avatar
dr_eirik
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
dr_eirik wrote: I've speculated before that Marion might have gotten into his current situation because of the nerds, but that seems like the longest of shots. Then again, they were going to base a campaign around it. Maybe they did something?
Also unlikely, but possible, that Kitsune screwed something up. Although he hasn't really shown any incompetence in the past, he's still a young demigod and is still learning.
I'd be more inclined that the nerds repeated something (a symbol or a spell or something) that they picked up in the temple and somehow it came back on Marion. It just seems so unlikely that I kind or dismiss it. But we really don't have anything yet.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"

User avatar
D-Rock
Moderator
Posts: 7419
Joined: Fri Mar 15, 2013 12:25 am
Location: Texas
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by D-Rock »

Mctwisp wrote: Yeah we don't but all the animals he met before his girlfriend found him was directling him as "she".

I wonder why it's dificult to Marion to discover if he's female or female. :|
Well, I'm sure it's because they got a clear view of his physical body before he corrected anyone.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Image
Image

User avatar
Cesco
Posts: 3908
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Cesco »

Oh, this school has squirrel-size desk and chair, but not also a WC? :P Well, you can find the way that fits you more, Marion. ;) What are they talking about outside? Some obscure conspiracy about Miltons or a fantasy roleplaying game on a forum? :D It's hard to believe that, indeed... :? Oh no! Watch out, Marion! :o
Image Image
Image
Image

User avatar
fenrirblack
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm
Location: Place of Evil
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by fenrirblack »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
dr_eirik wrote: I've speculated before that Marion might have gotten into his current situation because of the nerds, but that seems like the longest of shots. Then again, they were going to base a campaign around it. Maybe they did something?
Also unlikely, but possible, that Kitsune screwed something up. Although he hasn't really shown any incompetence in the past, he's still a young demigod and is still learning.
Kitsune is omniscient which comes from being a Kitsune so he wouldn’t be incompetent or do anything without purpose.

Kitsune should technically know about Marion but won’t do anything or get involved until they come to him because interfering before hand would interfere with their free will.
dr_eirik wrote:
I'd be more inclined that the nerds repeated something (a symbol or a spell or something) that they picked up in the temple and somehow it came back on Marion. It just seems so unlikely that I kind or dismiss it. But we really don't have anything yet.
I would be more inclined to believe that the geek squad had something to do with anything involving Marion if Marion had some previous relationship with one of them like if he was one of their owners or neighbors.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.

User avatar
Frank
Posts: 832
Joined: Mon Jan 11, 2010 7:33 pm
Location: AST

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Frank »

Obligatory "On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog!" reference
Mctwisp wrote:Shouldn't Marion be in the Girl's bathroom? :lol:
What makes you think she isn't?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010

NHWestoN
Posts: 11296
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by NHWestoN »

Frank wrote:Obligatory "On the internet, nobody knows you're a dog!" reference
Mctwisp wrote:Shouldn't Marion be in the Girl's bathroom? :lol:
What makes you think she isn't?
Might be the speculation that one of the voices Marion hears belongs to Dallas... Might be...I'm guessing.

User avatar
dr_eirik
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:]

Might be the speculation that one of the voices Marion hears belongs to Dallas... Might be...I'm guessing.
The voice isn't Dsllas, the screen name the student points out is.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"

NHWestoN
Posts: 11296
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:]

Might be the speculation that one of the voices Marion hears belongs to Dallas... Might be...I'm guessing.
The voice isn't Dsllas, the screen name the student points out is.
Hmmm. Wife keeps telling me to get a hearing aide. Thanks, dr.

User avatar
dr_eirik
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:]

Might be the speculation that one of the voices Marion hears belongs to Dallas... Might be...I'm guessing.
The voice isn't Dsllas, the screen name the student points out is.
Hmmm. Wife keeps telling me to get a hearing aide. Thanks, dr.
Can't help you there, I'm up to my elbows in eyes.
fenrirblack wrote: I would be more inclined to believe that the geek squad had something to do with anything involving Marion if Marion had some previous relationship with one of them like if he was one of their owners or neighbors.
I think we know that he doesn't have a pet or that would have come up before he left the house. His reaction does make me wonder, if just a bit, if he knows Dallas. Is his reaction to the rumor, the recognizing the screen name, or both?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"

User avatar
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles
Posts: 2826
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: The Housepets Forum ^^

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Obbl »

Marion is currently in the body of a female squirrel but still thinks of himself as male and has requested that people use male pronouns when referring to him. It would also be perfectly appropriate for him to use the boys' restroom regardless of your opinion on gender vs biological sex because it would still register to him (raised as a boy all his life and still thinking of himself as a boy) to be socially unacceptable to enter the girls' restroom, and forcing him to do so against his will would cause embarrassment and anxiety.

I am gonna ask y'all to please show respect to Marion by not referring to him as "a girl" or "she". If you cannot comply with this, I cannot help but see it as you being uncivil simply for the sake of being uncivil. Please do better.
Image

User avatar
Gameb18oy
Game Master
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Gameb18oy »

dr_eirik wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Oh no, humanity is getting dumber and the pets are getting smarter ~ I wonder how? =P

You know, it never occurred to me, but didn't Joey and his pals grab some loot from the temple? What if that started causing this mess?
They were going to, but Starfleet uniforms didn't have pockets.
It's not something that should be overlooked though, whose to say one or two of them couldn't have just kept a few pieces under their hats or something?

User avatar
dr_eirik
Posts: 1191
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by dr_eirik »

Gameb18oy wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Oh no, humanity is getting dumber and the pets are getting smarter ~ I wonder how? =P

You know, it never occurred to me, but didn't Joey and his pals grab some loot from the temple? What if that started causing this mess?
They were going to, but Starfleet uniforms didn't have pockets.
It's not something that should be overlooked though, whose to say one or two of them couldn't have just kept a few pieces under their hats or something?
No, you're right. Rick never definitively showed us if one of them kept something from the temple. Still, the way that Marion was transformed is not consistent with the coin unless someone snuck into his room. Unless we discover later that one of the nerds is actually his dog (which seems really unlikely at this point) it's hard to make the connection right now.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"

User avatar
VoidGaming404
Posts: 105
Joined: Thu May 05, 2016 4:06 pm
Location: United States, in the land of chickens

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by VoidGaming404 »

Uh oh... I think I may have gotten Tarot's future site, I sense a splash in the future! :lol:
Life is like a rollercoaster, sure there's ups and downs, but you may find that it can throw you for a loop!

~VoidGaming404

Christmas Avatar was made by Jolty-Kun

Original Avatar was made by Buster

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 16667
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well that is gonna suck. Have you ever BEEN inside a restroom in an educational building? More than 50% of the time, if the toilet isn't an auto flush and this isn't, people don't bother flushing.
Avatar (c) Kahikilani

User avatar
fenrirblack
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm
Location: Place of Evil
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by fenrirblack »

I can't tell if that first guy is excited by the prospect or idea that the Milton's are "going to turn everyone into animals" or not. I think it's my optimism but i hope he is. We need more humans to not only believe Marion but actually want to participate despite the delusional aspirations they might think come from being an animal. Tip the scales so to speak. Considering he's on a forum for Pridelands, a series that is cat-oriented so it makes me wonder. I'm suddenly very interested in this unnamed character. "This one has potential."
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 16667
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm pretty sure that we are supposed to think that like Bronson, the second guy is a loser. :|
Avatar (c) Kahikilani

User avatar
max7345
Posts: 118
Joined: Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:51 am
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by max7345 »

Next comic: Marion shows up somewhere soaking wet because he facepalmed so hard that he fell in the toilet.

Calling it now.

User avatar
Gameb18oy
Game Master
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:I can't tell if that first guy is excited by the prospect or idea that the Milton's are "going to turn everyone into animals" or not. I think it's my optimism but i hope he is. We need more humans to not only believe Marion but actually want to participate despite the delusional aspirations they might think come from being an animal. Tip the scales so to speak. Considering he's on a forum for Pridelands, a series that is cat-oriented so it makes me wonder. I'm suddenly very interested in this unnamed character. "This one has potential."
The idea of furries existing in the housepets universe is inheritently intriguing, especially as they can not be like furries in our universe

User avatar
Dragon Furry
Posts: 20
Joined: Fri Nov 22, 2013 3:55 am
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Dragon Furry »

My money(or coins) are still on some of the cursed gold is being used to transform humans. Someone might have broken into Marion's room vile he was sleeping and put a coin on him. I suspect a certain badger, Steward, for might having a paw in this game of Squirrels and students. Maybe he is hoping the more that is turned the more likely it is someone will find a way to brake the curse.

RyanWilson
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by RyanWilson »

I just wanted to remind everyone that the coins themselves were never magic, the coins were regular gold coins given to Pete by someone (who is specifically unspecified), which Pete then cursed. Since Pete's enchanted objects seem to have retained effectiveness, E.G. the one coin shown still works. With all of that in mind, there are thousands, if not millions, of coins potentially buried in the remains of the temple, unless the space inside ceased to exist along with everything in it.

I think that Keene has a questionable, but not strictly illegal, scheme planned. I think that Keene wants these rumors, arguments, and general unrest to exist. I think that Keene intends to arrange a school assembly of sorts (including parents, who are no doubt concerned about this, or will be when their kids tell them about it) in which these many coins are distributed to the entirety of the school: teachers, students, administrators, and parents. I think that there has been foreshadowing, including in the current strip, about just that happening.

If you think about it, Rick has left very few plot lines open. We still have the relationship between Peanut and Grape, and... And what? We have the new Squirrel plot. What else is there, except minor points that won't turn into extensive storylines? Rick needs to open new plot lines, and, regardless of the accuracy of my theory, this arc is how it is being done. To be clear, I don't know how well a spin-off would go, so I am not trying to encourage such a shift. I would prefer a temporary transformation arc where the all of the pets' parents were changed and the plot was about the pets finding a way to change their parents back.

Also, as this is my first post: Hello! I might post a hello in the welcome thread, but I take a long time to write a post, so it might not make it.

User avatar
Soerix
Posts: 164
Joined: Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:17 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Soerix »

Turning all humans into animals...

Which means that, since (from what I understand) animals in Housepets live double their real-life lifespans (therefore a little over 30 years, which is still pretty darn short, or maybe less in the eventuality that lifespan isn't unified for all species and that other species live less long than cats and dogs), all humans will basically see their lifespan be shortened by half or more.

Yippeeeee...
:cry:

User avatar
Gameb18oy
Game Master
Posts: 1521
Joined: Mon Oct 01, 2018 9:54 am

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Gameb18oy »

Soerix wrote:Turning all humans into animals...

Which means that, since (from what I understand) animals in Housepets live double their real-life lifespans (therefore a little over 30 years, which is still pretty darn short, or maybe less in the eventuality that lifespan isn't unified for all species and that other species live less long than cats and dogs), all humans will basically see their lifespan be shortened by half or more.

Yippeeeee...
:cry:
I think it's been mentioned that smaller animals like the mice and now Marion have even less time. So yeah, Marion probably will not be following King's example if he can turn back into a human, even if he grows fond of some stuff about being an animal

Also, welcome to the forum Ryan. Hope we see a lot of you here

RyanWilson
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Aug 14, 2019 4:17 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by RyanWilson »

Thanks, Gameb18oy,
Soerix Wrote:
Turning all humans into animals...

Which means that, since (from what I understand) animals in Housepets live double their real-life lifespans (therefore a little over 30 years, which is still pretty darn short, or maybe less in the eventuality that lifespan isn't unified for all species and that other species live less long than cats and dogs), all humans will basically see their lifespan be shortened by half or more.

Yippeeeee...
:cry:


I think it's been mentioned that smaller animals like the mice and now Marion have even less time. So yeah, Marion probably will not be following King's example if he can turn back into a human, even if he grows fond of some stuff about being an animal

Also, welcome to the forum Ryan. Hope we see a lot of you here
Has Rick ever officially stated the lifespan difference? The only official source that I know of is the combination of http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... -lifetime/ and http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... ion-prize/, which state that the punishment is one lifetime and then that the punishment is 60+ years. If punishment=lifetime and punishment=60+ years, then lifetime=60+ years. As a real life fox only lives up to 13 years but only up to 10 in the wild (and usually less, but that might not apply in this world due to intelligence), we have 4.6 to 6 times (minimum) real life in the one known case. Of course, with those numbers as a minimum, if the pets have the same life differential, pets would almost always outlive their owners. Unfortunately, we have no dates on the one pet that actually did die, Rufus. We only know "lived here since my last owner bought the farm" and we don't know how long either the previous owner nor Uncle Ruben owned the farm, nor do we know how old Rufus was when the previous owner bought the farm.

All of that said, there is no concrete timeline. The comic references the passage of time as if it is passing at the real life rate, but we have had arcs that were internally short times and externally long. The animals could simply have a distorted view of the passage of time, or they could have extended times in which nothing happens of comic relevance. It would add humor to Craig and Draig's complaints about time (which they have no mortal frame of reference for) if their "years" were actually a couple of months instead of the years that had passed since the strip in which they were transformed was published. We also have reason to believe that Sabrina is fairly old and reason to believe that Tarot is older, but we have no frame of reference there either. Of course, we can analyze the 5000BC arc if we assume that Dragon maintained a constant avatar (which is likely considering that Sabrina was apprenticing to become the 151st avatar). If we go with the shortest dates (not the title of the arc) then the neolithic era in Egypt ended around 4000 BC. Therefore, with Satau being the 2nd avatar (though there is reason to believe that some avatars are concurrent), we can simply divide 6000 years by 150 and get an estimate of 40 years, which matches the maximum lifespan that I have always heard given in the forums, but we can't stop there. That is an estimated average lifespan. If we believe the arc name, we have to add another 6.6 years for the extra 1000 years, and lifespans were, on average, shorter for real life humans in that era (and all eras until the present), which would logically apply to animals too. So we have to assume that there is a bias toward shorter lifespans in the earlier eras than later eras. This is already getting too long, so I'm not going to do the math to try to calculate the answer.

Maybe someone has a place where Rick has officially stated the the lifespan differential. The real point is that, going by the comic, animals probably have longer lifespans than humans, which I doubt was intentional. I hope that someone can refer to a spot where Rick actually answered the question or that Rick will turn up to answer the question. The answer is probably non-existent, as I doubt that any important character is going to die. I would expect that, in forty years, assuming Rick is still alive and publishing Housepets!, that most or all of the current major characters will still be alive and unaged. The only characters that are aging are Miles' kids.

User avatar
Argent
Posts: 5891
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Argent »

In "Housepets - An Infinitesimally Brief History of The World." Sabrina goes into the lifespan of animals in the Housepets! universe.

http://web.archive.org/web/201011202254 ... can-nomad/
Sabrina wrote:I may have neglected to mention beforehand: most animals in our world have significantly longer lifespans and smaller litter numbers than in your own. It’s still not the length of a human lifespan for most—elephants still only live about eighty years, and most ungulates still hover around forty and approach fifty, but dogs and cats also live up to forty years, though in the wild that number is often closer to fifteen. On average, anyway.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @

NHWestoN
Posts: 11296
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by NHWestoN »

`mazin', the thngs learned in the bathrooms...

User avatar
Ash Greytree
Posts: 388
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Ash Greytree »

Regarding Kitsune, I have a feeling that he'll show up sometime soon, especially if Marion's going to also be hanging out at the Wolf household. Lana asking Lucretia to treat Marion with respect makes me think that that'll be a frequent stop for him. He could stumble upon the statue one day or King could take him to it directly.

Talking about the ages and lifespans of the animals, the answer is that Housepets is a comic with a sliding timescale where characters age when Rick wants them to age.

Still curious about what's going to be done regarding any upcoming special strips or arcs for Halloween/Thanksgiving/Holidays, though. Is Marion's stint at school going to wrap up soon with a proper graduation and Keene's new plan being teased (with all the student's talking about the ECP, I feel like something like that is around the corner) and then a timeskip to autumn? Or are the seasonal strips going to be one-off deals, like that one just a bit back where Peanut goes to summer camp?
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 16667
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since Rick seems to make the seasonal and holiday strips be part of the arcs I am gonna assume that Marion's arc will at least have a part in the Halloween strip. Marion can say that he is out and decided to become a squirrel for Halloween this year. 8-)
Avatar (c) Kahikilani

NHWestoN
Posts: 11296
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by NHWestoN »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Since Rick seems to make the seasonal and holiday strips be part of the arcs I am gonna assume that Marion's arc will at least have a part in the Halloween strip. Marion can say that he is out and decided to become a squirrel for Halloween this year. 8-)
Maybe the Halloween context will provide the solution to his transformation...

User avatar
fenrirblack
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm
Location: Place of Evil
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by fenrirblack »

Soerix wrote:Turning all humans into animals...

Which means that, since (from what I understand) animals in Housepets live double their real-life lifespans (therefore a little over 30 years, which is still pretty darn short, or maybe less in the eventuality that lifespan isn't unified for all species and that other species live less long than cats and dogs), all humans will basically see their lifespan be shortened by half or more.

Yippeeeee...
:cry:
There is no guarantee that anyone effected by magic or specially the coin would age the same rate as normal animals. The concept of aging and transformation is complicated because the person's original age has to be taken into account. Most authors will simply have the person in question age normally despite the change in species. Even if that is not the case they would at least age different than normal animals and not as long as they normally would as humans. You want an example look at Steward. Even in the HPU he's way past the life expectancy of a normal badger.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.

User avatar
Argent
Posts: 5891
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Argent »

It seems to me that if someone was middle-aged as a human they would end up as middle-aged for an animal.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @

NHWestoN
Posts: 11296
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by NHWestoN »

fenrirblack wrote:
Soerix wrote:Turning all humans into animals...

Which means that, since (from what I understand) animals in Housepets live double their real-life lifespans (therefore a little over 30 years, which is still pretty darn short, or maybe less in the eventuality that lifespan isn't unified for all species and that other species live less long than cats and dogs), all humans will basically see their lifespan be shortened by half or more.

Yippeeeee...
:cry:
There is no guarantee that anyone effected by magic or specially the coin would age the same rate as normal animals. The concept of aging and transformation is complicated because the person's original age has to be taken into account. Most authors will simply have the person in question age normally despite the change in species. Even if that is not the case they would at least age different than normal animals and not as long as they normally would as humans. You want an example look at Steward. Even in the HPU he's way past the life expectancy of a normal badger.
Conversely, Pete and Dragon wound up as Craig and Draig, fox kits, physical immaturity to match their emotional immaturity. Now you could argue that their regression was part of the spell put on them y Kitsune (assuming GK contrived their punishment), but the point remains as you say … it's complicated.

User avatar
fenrirblack
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm
Location: Place of Evil
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:
Conversely, Pete and Dragon wound up as Craig and Draig, fox kits, physical immaturity to match their emotional immaturity. Now you could argue that their regression was part of the spell put on them y Kitsune (assuming GK contrived their punishment), but the point remains as you say … it's complicated.
It wasn't as much a spell as they were reincarnated. So their situation is vastly different from the others.
Argent wrote:It seems to me that if someone was middle-aged as a human they would end up as middle-aged for an animal.
That is easy to think but how would you calculate that. What is middle-aged technically when it comes to human versus an animal? Look at Marion who is 17. What would be the age equivalent for a teenage squirrel? If you changed back would you have aged faster or the same time as when you were an animal? Cloaked by Alex Flynn is a good book that provides examples of the trope I mentioned. There are two examples of therianthropes in the story who age the same as humans.
Like all things in literature it is up to the author to decide and even then factors within the story would have to be taken into account. The best way I can put it is that due to the supernatural effect of the transformation, the fact that the therianthrope is not a "true" member of the species would effect their own biology on a fundamental level that would slow down the aging process. Essentially they would neither age at the same rate as a human or the animal they had become because their biology would be different from both. When the supernatural is involved you can't apply real life physics or logic so you have to do the best you can.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.

User avatar
Argent
Posts: 5891
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Contact:

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:That is easy to think but how would you calculate that.
They probably have tables for it in Universes and Unrealities.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @

NHWestoN
Posts: 11296
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/09/27 - Stalling For Time

Post by NHWestoN »

Mystical slide rules, maybe?

Post Reply