2019/09/25 - Lunch Break

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/09/25 - Lunch Break

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/09/25 - Lunch Break]
Title Text: but if everyone is super then nobody will be, did you think about that

I mean, yeah, it's great until you have to potentially deal with the fact that you may come across at least four different animals that could make a meal of you without a second thought on the first day.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dr_eirik

Re: 2019/09/25 - Lunch Break

Post by dr_eirik »

I can't help but feel Marion is talking to me directly somehow. 8-)

As many hours as I've daydreamed, I'm sure the reality would be much less than desirable.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

They’ve found his silver lining,
that he didn’t even know was there,
his school debts are paid forever,
but I don’t think he’ll care.
School meals are now more filling,
even if you don’t know what it is;
you even get free milk to drink
(and I’m sure you won’t taste the fizz)
The questions are getting him down
from people he doesn’t know well.
But, from their point of view,
the ECP’s a really easy sell.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Wow, that got personal. :?

Someone call Steward, we have a volunteer. ;)

Yes, but if got to choice what animal you became then would you it? I mean random selection, no thank you, I don’t want to be a squirrel or prey. But a predator, yes. Strike fear in the hearts of my enemies and the admiration of my peers. And someone to pay my student loans.

I guess we did skip straight to lunch. I was curious how this would look. Yes, the skepticism is beginning to take its toll. I’m assuming the talk with the VP went as well as I imagined.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Sep 25, 2019 12:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

D-Rock wrote:I mean, yeah, it's great until you have to potentially deal with the fact that you may come across at least four different animals that could make a meal of you without a second thought on the first day.
BUT no student loans tho
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I mean, it would certainly help with at least some of mine.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Yeah most people aren't going to care about the downsides when you are getting your debts paid off. :lol:
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

You know, I'm seriously trying hard not to make an 'oh, nuts' pun here. Seriously though, what's next, human and animal equality? More of a support cast? That's what I'm hoping for, so my question now is when when is the coin going to come in?

Marion, I don't think you get it,
The way the world is run.
Your schoolmates don't understand you,
Being a squirrel's not fun.
The ECP, I'm sure it's wonderful
'Cause Keene'll pay your way.
But seriously, people, Marion's life is blunder-ful
While learning the animal way.
So be careful, I beg you
Don't jump the gun too fast
For the science, well, it's all new,
And the changes seem to last.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Maybe you should've just keep your mouth shut, Marion. :lol:
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I can't say I expected a Incredibles reference from a Housepets! title text. Being a squirrel may not sole all your problems, but at least his parents don't have to worry about getting eaten out of house and home by a ravenous teenager now that he eats a squirrel sized diet.
Gbr23 wrote:
D-Rock wrote:I mean, yeah, it's great until you have to potentially deal with the fact that you may come across at least four different animals that could make a meal of you without a second thought on the first day.
BUT no student loans tho
Loan sharks for land sharks.
The cape comes with the promotion.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Student loans really are wrecking a generation! ....is he really gonna eat all that macaroni?
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

"Step on up! Solve all of your problems and let the ECP take care of all of your woes! Touch a coin and become an animal today!"
*steward industries are not responsible for any loss of quality of life that may happen as a result of a sudden transformation
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

To quote Badgerclops real quick “Super mean”

Students: “Where do I sign up?”
Marion: “Well there is this treehouse in the woods. You may have seen it on HGTV. Ask for Steward.”
D-Rock wrote: I mean, yeah, it's great until you have to potentially deal with the fact that you may come across at least four different animals that could make a meal of you without a second thought on the first day.[/color]
Not if your top of the food chain. I mean think of the employment opportunities for Tigers, Lions, and Bears. I mean it all relevant depending on “what” you are. Marion, Thomas, and Steward got the duds but maybe the next one will have better luck. I mean Gale didn’t have any problems (that we know of.) Squirrel isn’t on top of my list but maybe if Marion was a better and much cooler animal like a wolf or tiger or lion or even taller then he would have a better attitude.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:To quote Badgerclops real quick “Super mean”
D-Rock wrote: I mean, yeah, it's great until you have to potentially deal with the fact that you may come across at least four different animals that could make a meal of you without a second thought on the first day.[/color]
Not if your top of the food chain. I mean think of the employment opportunities for Tigers, Lions, and Bears. I mean it all relevant depending on “what” you are. Marion, Thomas, and Steward got the duds but maybe the next one will have better luck. I mean Gale didn’t have any problems (that we know of.) Squirrel isn’t on top of my list but maybe if Marion was a better and much cooler animal like a wolf or tiger or lion or even taller then he would have a better attitude.
I wouldn't say that Steward got a dud. Badgers are small, but he's near the top of the food chain in the absence of the wolves and mountain lion. Only the bear is above him. There are a lot of mid-level animals, especially in the HPU, that could do well. Raccoons and possums just to name the obvious ones we've met.

Marion did get a bad form, since he is now prey to so much. Likewise, Thomas likely did as well with the lack of hands, though we have yet to see what actually happened to him.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

If the ability to transform into an animal was commercially available, especially in a world where most of the animals are anthro, there'd be so many people that would be into that in a heartbeat. Not just furries, either. :lol:
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Wow, that got personal. :?

Someone call Steward, we have a volunteer. ;)

Yes, but if got to choice what animal you became then would you it? I mean random selection, no thank you, I don’t want to be a squirrel or prey. But a predator, yes. Strike fear in the hearts of my enemies and the admiration of my peers. And someone to pay my student loans.

I guess we did skip straight to lunch. I was curious how this would look. Yes, the skepticism is beginning to take its toll. I’m assuming the talk with the VP went as well as I imagined.
Get fuzzy and get paid for it... personally I don't even mind if it's not the animal I want, only two things could ruin it: 1. If I end up like Thomas and get stuck on all fours. 2. If I end up like Marion and get double transmogrified.
And even with these two things... I suddenly have a direct connection to characters with wealth as endless as Batman and Scrooge McDuck's fortunes, there still would be benefits
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Considering I have student loans AND am still in the process of getting my (technically second) Masters degree, I would definitely take the gamble and pray I still have thumbs when its over. Call me deluded but Marion didn't have to move back home with his parents because of student debt. He thinks he has problems.
dr_eirik wrote: I wouldn't say that Steward got a dud. Badgers are small, but he's near the top of the food chain in the absence of the wolves and mountain lion. Only the bear is above him. There are a lot of mid-level animals, especially in the HPU, that could do well. Raccoons and possums just to name the obvious ones we've met.

Marion did get a bad form, since he is now prey to so much. Likewise, Thomas likely did as well with the lack of hands, though we have yet to see what actually happened to him.
I stand by my earlier statement of wanting to become an animal that strikes fear into the heart of my enemies and win the admiration of my peers. A badger would only get the fear of some middle age lady who finds one lurking around her house or in my mother's case lurking in the garage closet (for the record it was a opossum in this example). Imagine being a real anthropomorphic animal and showing up at a furry convention. You'll be beating off the mob with a stick but no claws because would be bad. Not to mention the prospect of being eye candy
Thomas is still a perfect example of a "worse case" scenario. Hooves and a beast of burden and four legs in a world of anthropomorphic animals. Marion may be small enough to be carried off by a predatory bird but at least he can still walk upright and hold a fork.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

NHWestoN wrote:Student loans really are wrecking a generation! ....is he really gonna eat all that macaroni?
He'd better! Gym class is coming up, and he's gonna need that energy for dodgeball.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Mr. Whisper wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Student loans really are wrecking a generation! ....is he really gonna eat all that macaroni?
He'd better! Gym class is coming up, and he's gonna need that energy for dodgeball.
His stomach can only fit, what, 3-4 bits of pasta?
Champion Wallace

With all this speculating about if Marion's situation is worth it, keep in mind this is just what happened to Marion. We still don't know what Keene's "thing" planned is. If he's trying to get people to see Marion as a human and take that to make people see other animals as human, he won't need as many subjects as he can get. The point is, even if Keene had the coin there may not be a place for Students to "sign up" if the ECP is full of humans-turned-animals (especially if that limit was 1).
leinglo wrote:
Mr. Whisper wrote:Gym class is coming up, and he's gonna need that energy for dodgeball.
His stomach can only fit, what, 3-4 noodles?
Remember smaller animals need a higher caloric intake relative to their size than larger, human-sized animals.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:With all this speculating about if Marion's situation is worth it, keep in mind this is just what happened to Marion. We still don't know what Keene's "thing" planned is. If he's trying to get people to see Marion as a human and take that to make people see other animals as human, he won't need as many subjects as he can get. The point is, even if Keene had the coin there may not be a place for Students to "sign up" if the ECP is full of humans-turned-animals (especially if that limit was 1).
If the limit was one we already broke it with Marion so why not keep on going. Keene will still need more "victims" because any major change or development needs a larger pool of participants. Marion is only one person and people still don't want to believe that it's true. But if more people started showing up as animals then the government would have to start taking it more seriously. That is what Keene is truly after. I don't think Keene would admit it out loud or in court but if he knew about the coin he would probably not say no to it being used as long as the participant was willing and willing to sign a waver or something.
Plus it's not like Keene has to be involved with the transformation itself. I mean some teen could just show up at the Milton's doorstep like
Student: I don't know how it happened either but I became this random animal. It must be Marion Cooties.
Thirty minutes earlier Steward: Just hold out your hand and touch this coin.
Student: Oh, well. Where do I sign and when do I get my check?
Champion Wallace

fenrirblack wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:With all this speculating about if Marion's situation is worth it, keep in mind this is just what happened to Marion. We still don't know what Keene's "thing" planned is. If he's trying to get people to see Marion as a human and take that to make people see other animals as human, he won't need as many subjects as he can get. The point is, even if Keene had the coin there may not be a place for Students to "sign up" if the ECP is full of humans-turned-animals (especially if that limit was 1).
If the limit was one we already broke it with Marion so why not keep on going.
I don't know how I forgot about King, but I meant humans-turned-animals that admit they were human publicly. Keene may have more money then he knows what to do with, but he's not a fan of cash therapy. As I'm sure you're aware, paying for lots of people's tuition wouldn't be cheap.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Wait a minute. Becoming an animal did solve all of King’s problems.
Champion Wallace

fenrirblack wrote:Wait a minute. Becoming an animal did solve all of King’s problems.
Um, yea. That's what people have been saying since Marion was introduced, and more generally, since King was introduced. The important distinction that always came with it is Joel's life as a human sucked. He had more enemies than friends, was out of a job and about to be sentenced to jail. Marion on the other hand had his life ahead of him. He has a time sensitive graduation to get done and he has people that care about him. Becoming an animal doesn't solve all your problems, it just solves the problems Joel happened to have. With that in mind, it would be *tricky* to market the coin's power as a literal "get out of jail free card" without getting shut down.
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

dr_eirik wrote:I can't help but feel Marion is talking to me directly somehow. 8-)

As many hours as I've daydreamed, I'm sure the reality would be much less than desirable.
I feel pretty much the same. When we read Marion's dialogue in today's strip, it's tempting to imagine that Rick might be having a gentle, good-natured giggle about the very fandom to which he is such an outstanding contributor.
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

Is no one else concerned that the milk carton has a question mark on it?
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.
Argent

Post by Argent »

dr_eirik wrote:I can't help but feel Marion is talking to me directly somehow. 8-)

40 year lifespan.
Champion Wallace wrote:Loan sharks for land sharks.
Heh heh. Don't forget Keene is a carpet shark.
fenrirblack wrote:I mean think of the employment opportunities for Tigers, Lions, and Bears.
Is that a Herd Thinners reference?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I'm kind of amazed at how well the students are taking this. Surely they're joking about wanting transformations themselves but they fact they all still came to school is amazing. Can you imagine the utter horror there would be if someone did change into an actual animal in real life. That's so far outside normal it gets into "Wrath of God" type territory. If I were the parents I don't know if I would let my kid go the first day until I knew whatever got Marion wasn't contiguous.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Mr. Whisper wrote:
Or worst....laps around the gym *shudder*
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Argent

Post by Argent »

He's got rope climb nailed, though.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Argent wrote:He's got rope climb nailed, though.
In his first day as a squirrel he climbed 2 trees and a gutter. In some ways I think he adapted better to being a squirrel in the first 24 hours than King did to being a dog. But I suppose speed climbing is a much more desirable trait to pick up than butt sniffing.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote:
Mr. Whisper wrote:
Or worst....laps around the gym *shudder*

... and another opportunity to get stepped on. Classroom changes must just be help for the poor little guy!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

You know, one aspect I think people are skipping is that Marion never says HIS tuition is covered, only confirms that Miles had his covered. I suspect if humans started transforming in large numbers, Lana would curtail that. Perhaps limit it to natural born animals.

Edit: I was trying to extrapolate reasons why someone might want to transform in the HPU setting, and a thought occured. Assuming that the process that transformed Marion is similar to the coin, what if it erased your health issues? You might end up an anteater, but your severe diabetes is gone, or your a paraplegic and all the nerve damage is repaired?

In a setting like HP, where even if you ended up a hooved animal, you could still have your mind and ability to communicate. Even with the major random chance(about 10 to 1 you end up as prey, we dont know if you might not even be a mammal) I could see a lot of people jumping at the chance.

That assumes it heals your health effects. It would suck to be a diabetic chipmunk.
Last edited by dr_eirik on Wed Sep 25, 2019 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Frank

Post by Frank »

D-Rock wrote:[I mean, yeah, it's great until you have to potentially deal with the fact that you may come across at least four different animals that could make a meal of you without a second thought on the first day.
although... if you look at where humans live, i'm sure you could always find at least four species in those areas that wouldn't doubt to make a meal out of one... were it not for the fact that humans travel in humongous groups that fight back
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
DocFlareon

Post by DocFlareon »

dr_eirik wrote:You know, one aspect I think people are skipping is that Marion never says HIS tuition is covered, only confirms that Miles had his covered. I suspect if humans started transforming in large numbers, Lana would curtail that. Perhaps limit it to natural born animals.

In a setting like HP, where even if you ended up a hooved animal, you could still have your mind and ability to communicate. Even with the major random chance(about 10 to 1 you end up as prey, we dont know if you might not even be a mammal) I could see a lot of people jumping at the chance.

That assumes it heals your health effects. It would suck to be a diabetic chipmunk.
Hey, being a bird or reptile wouldn't be so bad! Especially when you factor in (most) bird species' trump card, flight. Being a birb would seriously rock. If I couldn't be a one of a dozen or two species of bird, I wouldn't mind being a black mamba or cobra. Yeah, not having any limbs would suck, but certain snakes do have a cool factor all of their own.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

DocFlareon wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:You know, one aspect I think people are skipping is that Marion never says HIS tuition is covered, only confirms that Miles had his covered. I suspect if humans started transforming in large numbers, Lana would curtail that. Perhaps limit it to natural born animals.

Hey, being a bird or reptile wouldn't be so bad! Especially when you factor in (most) bird species' trump card, flight. Being a birb would seriously rock. If I couldn't be a one of a dozen or two species of bird, I wouldn't mind being a black mamba or cobra. Yeah, not having any limbs would suck, but certain snakes do have a cool factor all of their own.
You're right, most birds would be ok in this setting. I'm less sure of other animals like reptiles because, IIRC, none have ever had a speaking part in the strip, so we dont know if they are sapient as well.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

There was a snake in the first zoo arc, and the roos mentioned Cathy from the reptile house, who was a viper, and Fluffy the alligator.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:There was a snake in the first zoo arc, and the roos mentioned Cathy from the reptile house, who was a viper, and Fluffy the alligator.
Right after I posted that, I thought about the zoo arc and wondered if I'd forgotten anyone. Fluffy, though, never spoke.
Argent

Post by Argent »

dr_eirik wrote:That assumes it heals your health effects. It would suck to be a diabetic chipmunk.
Marion apparently still has his nut allergy. Or maybe he's just assuming that?
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

D-Rock wrote:There was a snake in the first zoo arc, and the roos mentioned Cathy from the reptile house, who was a viper, and Fluffy the alligator.
There's a debate to be had if Fluffy was sapient or not, they didn't seem to even understand why they were being attacked. Honestly, they seemed less of a threat than the gun the kidnapper had regardless. Also, leave it to us furries not to see any downsides with turning into an animal randomly XD.
Argent wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:That assumes it heals your health effects. It would suck to be a diabetic chipmunk.
Marion apparently still has his nut allergy. Or maybe he's just assuming that?
Probably keep things like ADHD present if Peanut is any indication