2019/09/11 - Dealing With The Debil

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
NHWestoN

Re: 2019/09/11 - Dealing With The Debil

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:One thing I never pointed out is how good it is to have the dynamic duo back together. It just dawned on me that King and Fox are back together again. Solving magical crimes like the good old days. It's been Fox and Mungo these last few years while King has been off being a Dad. Now its like a reboot of a crime drama. Coming this fall, FOX and KING. The last time they did anything together was when Bill drove King and Bailey to the mall before heading to the station for his and Fox's shift.
It is the blessing and the curse of Housepets. There is a massive cast, so any story is going to shift others aside. I mean, I've always felt Grape and Peanut were the main characters and we haven't seen them at all in months.
Comic worlds evolve. Over the years, there have been fewer "just funny" strips. Relationships have changed and many of the older characters have been eclipsed (heck, Marion apparently has appeared more times than Breel). Charles Schultz, creator of Peanuts, noted that he often got questions asking about Patty, Violet, Shermy, and other original members of Charlie Brown's neighborhood and why do they never appear anymore. He'd reply "I've just moved on to more interesting, more fun characters." Regarding other popular figures like PigPen, he once commented, "PigPen's really a one-joke character and I'm tired of that joke." Grape and Peanut will always be central to the strip but they won't always be on stage. Others, like Rex or Daisy, have shown potential to develop and deepen but Rick just may not be that interested in them. Others, like Tiger and Marvin, who knows? They may have shrunk to the deep background. Or, like Karishad, just when you think they're gone … boop!

It's Rick's world … we're just guests here.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Yeah, I can see a writer/artist getting bored with a character and letting them fade. Happens all the time.

Tiger is an interesting case to me, as it seems like his role was never huge and seems to be the character to go to when Rick needs a schemer, but without the overtly mean streak you get with Bino.

It's also not exactly unusual for us to get treated with characters coming back unexpectedly. Rick is good at dropping in a character for a page or two and giving them some nice development. Think Daisy in K9PD.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Though on the flip side of that it has to be very brief as there is not enough room for them in the arc.