2019/09/11 - Dealing With The Debil

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/09/11 - Dealing With The Debil

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/09/11 - Dealing With The Debil]
Title Text: if you want ominous, ask Kari to help you!

Why bring up animals when you can bring down people? :roll:

…in all seriousness, this seems concerning. :?
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/09/11 - Dealing With The Debil

Post by Saturn381 »

Keene is gonna turn everyone into an animal is he?
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

‪Ok so... going with Keene was easier and more logical than going to Kitsune’s statue? Unless King got rid of it (which would be very understandable).‬
‪Also I have this feeling that this all fits perfectly in Stewards plan, whatever it might be‬
Last edited by Gbr23 on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I like where you’re going with this Keene, but you know people are going to try to ruin it. Probably add some clause how animals only get rights if they used to be human. Never mind how impossible proving that would be, some people are dumb enough to try it.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, so I was sort of right? I mean we didn't need Steward to come up with the plan because Keene is that crazy. But we still need the coin. SO i have work to do.

And we went to see Keene anyway despite the fact that he is not head of the ECP anymore. I was right about King going to see Keene though.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

"It's not ominous, I'm helping."
It can be both.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Saturn381 wrote:Keene is gonna turn everyone into an animal is he?
I dont think that's what hes thinking, though I thought that's what he wanted with the mana pool.

I think he just realized that if he can convince everyone that Marion was, in fact, human, then get his rights restored, he has a legal precedent he can use for his own ends.

I am a little surprised the brought in Keene before Tarot, Sabrina or even attempted to contact Kitsune.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Gbr23 wrote:‪Ok so... going with Keene was easier and more logical than going to Kitsune’s statue? Unless King got rid of it (which would be very understandable).‬
Emotions color judgement.
Vanice

Post by Vanice »

Make a thing out of this? Does he mean turn this into some kind of production like he did for King's wedding? Is he actually going to help? Or is he gonna do something sinister?

Also anyone else think that the demon Keene released has something to do with this?
"I've been having these weird thoughts lately...."
"Like is any of this for real? Or not?"
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:
Gbr23 wrote:‪Ok so... going with Keene was easier and more logical than going to Kitsune’s statue? Unless King got rid of it (which would be very understandable).‬
Emotions color judgement.
Yeah, and King will avoid going to Kitsune until he must.

This actually isn't the jump I expected. I though we'd have Marion's parents involved now. I suspect that could be as soon as next strip.

Looking at the comic again... where are they? I thought this was Keene meeting them in the police station breakroom, but that looks like a candle on the table. Is that Keenes kitchen?
Last edited by dr_eirik on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Vanice wrote:Make a thing out of this? Does he mean turn this into some kind of production like he did for King's wedding? Is he actually going to help? Or is he gonna do something sinister?
My guess? Use Marion as "the face" of the ECP movement.

And that's how we get Marion as the villain; being used could make him want to dissolve the movement. :o

Of all the weird theories, why is this the one I hold to? Makes little sense. :?
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I'm surprised Keene is getting involved. He could not have been clearer about not doing this anymore. Think about Breel, man. It's possible King went to Keene because he didn't know Keene stepped down, but Fox should have known one way or another. Keene doesn't have shades in his hands in the third panel and he isn't near any table so that means he materializes them to put on in the last panel.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Raku

Post by Raku »

I wonder what Keene is scheming? Hopefully it isn't anything to nefarious =/

That being said, I wonder what he thinks of King/Joel then given what he says here about Marion and humans in general? I mean, he does know that King used to be human, and even saw him transform.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

D-Rock wrote: My guess? Use Marion as "the face" of the ECP movement.
In that case Lana's getting involved in this plot soon as she's in charge of the ECP.

OK, so now even Keene knows
about Humans in furry frames?
He thought he was out of it now;
these pathetic, Gryphonic, games.
He’s now ready to accept him
to further his own good plan.
Using dark means to promote good;
Keen still has his early élan.
The glasses match the dark of thought,
to hide all his worst intentions;
to fight the fight that he once fought
to change the world’s relations.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

I figure taking help from someone who is constantly scheming isn't the best idea.
Allons-y
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Why do I suddenly feel like Marion should start running again...
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:
Vanice wrote:Make a thing out of this? Does he mean turn this into some kind of production like he did for King's wedding? Is he actually going to help? Or is he gonna do something sinister?
My guess? Use Marion as "the face" of the ECP movement.

And that's how we get Marion as the villain; being used could make him want to dissolve the movement. :o

Of all the weird theories, why is this the one I hold to? Makes little sense. :?
It's not that crazy. I think it's not farfetched to think he could end up at cross purposes at the least, or even forced to act against the ECP.

Here is an off the wall theory: Steward has made peace with Keene and did some time ago. He is now acting as a scout looking for likely candidates to make the face of the movement. Clearly, hes done that recruiting before because Jessica yelled at him for it. Maybe Steward pegged Marion as a likely candidate or as a former human, but he took off before he could seal the deal, and is actually unaware hes even left the treehouse.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Theories
Is Steward A Villain: YES.

Steward's Goal: Regaining his Old Life

Did He Change Marion: No

Who Changed Marion: Dino-Demon or another new supernatural character that has not been introduced.

Will Marion Return Home: Yes.

The Marion & Lois Part
-Keene recruits Marion into the ECP and exploits him so Marion can regain his normal life and human rights.
-Marion ops out of joining the ECP and decides he rather lay about home and enjoy his life without any responsibilities until he can find a way to change back.
-Lois and Marion explains to his parents what happened to him and together come up with a way for Marion to regain some normalcy while still being a squirrel.

The King Part
-King serves as Marion's mentor and guru to the life as a therianthrope and helps lead him to the ECP.
-King consults Kitsune who ops out of doing anything for the time being.

The Steward Part
-Keene recruits Steward and his coin to transform random humans into animals to boost the ECP.
-Steward goes behind Keene's back and starts transforming humans into animals for the ECP to get back into Keene's good graces.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
-Keene recruits Steward and his coin to transform random humans into animals to boost the ECP.
-Steward goes behind Keene's back and starts transforming humans into animals for the ECP to get back into Keene's good graces.
I think even Keene would not transform random humans into animals. It would be a really dark turn for his character who really has always felt somewhere between chaotic neutral and lawful evil. A deliberate act like this would change him too much.

Now, Steward doing that? Maybe. We dont know where his brain is at the moment.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Im thinking were going to see a split between Keene and Lana on this. Breel probably wont be happy either.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
I think even Keene would not transform random humans into animals. It would be a really dark turn for his character who really has always felt somewhere between chaotic neutral and lawful evil. A deliberate act like this would change him too much..
Plus, in panel #4 here, WE SEE THE PENNY DROP!

If Keene had been in on any plan he would have thought all this through AGES ago. He wouldn't be putting those thoughts into place only now!
Last edited by Welsh Halfwit on Wed Sep 11, 2019 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
I think even Keene would not transform random humans into animals. It would be a really dark turn for his character who really has always felt somewhere between chaotic neutral and lawful evil. A deliberate act like this would change him too much.

Now, Steward doing that? Maybe. We dont know where his brain is at the moment.
I don't think he would either but the fact he ended mid-sentence like that does not inspire confidence.

A thought just occurred to me that isn't original or new but suddenly feels very possible now. What if...Marion wasn't the only one who was changed? I'm not talking about the coin but other humans waking up as animals. Keene announces to the to world that YES this is possible and that if anyone has been struck by this "plague" can join the ECP, a non-profit assistance program, that will restore your rights and futures.

Can you imagine the promo ads?
Keene: Have you or someone you loved randomly been transformed into an animal? Well, the ECP can help with a variety of legal services designed for you.
Marion: My name is Marion Ward. I'm seventeen and not long ago was a male human teen. One night I played Overwatch til 3 am and four hours later woke up as a female squirrel. My mother kicked me out of the house and I was living in a tree until the ECP came to my aid. *come on that's not the entire stor—*
Keene: That's right. If that happened to this poor soul then it could happen to anyone. EVEN YOU! So call now for a free pamphlet on what to expect when you suddenly have fur and a tail.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote: I don't think he would either but the fact he ended mid-sentence like that does not inspire confidence.
It should do. His brain finally caught up with what his mouth was talking about. Pausing in the middle of a sentence is a character going "waitaminute, what am I saying? Am I really saying this?" He's worked out the situation in that second and sees an angle (Which is where, as I said before, Lana comes in. SHE'S the head of the ECP. SHE decides who's eligible. Keene's just the one who knows all the arcane shenanigans)
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I'm sure this won't go anywhere bad at all. Well at least he will have good help and a place to live.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
I think even Keene would not transform random humans into animals. It would be a really dark turn for his character who really has always felt somewhere between chaotic neutral and lawful evil. A deliberate act like this would change him too much..
Plus, in panel #4 here, WE SEE THE PENNY DROP!

If Keene had been in on any plan he would have thought all this through AGES ago. He wouldn't be putting those thoughts into place only now!
Its possible that he is just getting that idea now, since he does know the approximate location of a magic device that will change humans to animals. But I dont think that's what he's thinking.

I do wonder if he has video of Stewards transformation. I mean, Keene could just go on the morning news and throw Marion out there, but hes going to need some kind of proof. Or if we may soon discover where Thomas has been all this time.

Another scary thought: Keene perhaps has video from his office of King turning back to Joel and back to King. He tosses that to the media without warning King...
bravelove

Post by bravelove »

theres that I love you ferret i know and love, been too long since we've got one of his shows
Image Image
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

I see one of the escapees has already gotten involved without even meeting our agent. The pieces are sliding themselves into place.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Maybe Keene will try to take Jessica's whole household inside the ECP programm so that Marion gets also inside as some sort of loophole, which would also include Steward.
Also it could be worse, Marion could be the new pet of the wolve family, which could be...a bit problematic.
What is to see is if there will be some conflict with Lana.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Okay, now things are getting interesting. My guess is that Keene is going to have Marion go through the ECP, and if Marion succeeds he’ll be happy to have some semblance of a life and structure back while they figure out how to restore him to human, and he can possibly become an advocate during that time for the ECP to strengthen enrollment numbers, sort of like what Steward is doing but less aggressive. And if/when Marion gets changed back, he could stay an advocate for the ECP and his voice as a human would amplify that advocacy.

Let’s hope that “thing” isn’t some sort of scheme to put Marion up on some huge pedestal as a poster-squirrel celebrity for the program. Like Welsh said, Lana’s the head of the ECP. She could end up enrolling him as just another animal where she has zero knowledge of his humanity or whatever Keene has planned. I’d personally like that best; keeping as much as possible on the down-low.

Idea: Keene wants to acquire and harness the ability to turn humans into animals and back again for the purpose of good. It could be a spin-off program of the ECP. Some kind of “A mile in our shoes paws” program where humans volunteer to get turned into animals for a week to see what it’s like and develop empathy for the animal condition so that when they change back (maybe leave it open as an option if they want to change back, too), they can spread the news about how animals deserve rights. Of course the flaw in this idea of mine is that such a program would involve going public with the fact that magic(k) exists, and I’m not sure that Rick is ready to introduce that shakeup to the world of Housepets yet.

Back to the near-term: The question remains as to what kind of help Marion will be getting aside from education. King mentioned therapy, but is that going to happen for real or was the therapy angle brought up just for the sake of a joke? I could see Keene working with Lana to get Sabrina hired by the ECP to give Marion therapy. She’d probably be enthusiastic to assist, and bring over Tarot too to examine him.

What kind of education is he going to be getting? His hopes of graduating this summer are definitely sunk for the time being, so he’d need at least a GED. But before that... Ooh, maybe the thing I guessed a few months ago could actually wind up happening?
Ash Greytree wrote:[Marion is looking at a laptop screen, with an “I can’t believe this” look on his face. Lois walks in.]
Lois: “What’s wrong? Couldn’t come up with any leads again?”
Marion: “No, not this time. It’s just that, when I knew I was going to be taking exams this week-“
[Next panel shifts to show the laptop screen, with info about the General Obedience Exam on it.]
“This isn’t what I had in mind.”
And with regards to Marion, where is he right now? Is he in a cop car that got driven to Keene and Breel’s house, waiting with a human officer chauffeur? Is he back at the station, safe and away from where any meddling badger could get to him? Or did Fox & Fido give the go-ahead to Lois to take Marion to her place for the night? Here’s hoping wherever he is, he’s catching some Z’s...
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Nobody wrote:"It's not ominous, I'm helping."
It can be both.
Nothing says ominous like a ferret slapping on raybans - musta just had his pupil dialated....
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:
It can be both.
Nothing says ominous like a ferret slapping on raybans - musta just had his pupil dialated....
He’s hiding the dollar signs that appeared over his eyes.
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

My "humanity is in trouble" sense is tingling...more so than usual anyway.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

TheSilverFox51 wrote:I figure taking help from someone who is constantly scheming isn't the best idea.
And as a member of the Golden Deer, I say you're wrong ;)
BasedDook

Post by BasedDook »

‪Also I have this feeling that this all fits perfectly in Stewards plan, whatever it might be‬
This. THIS THIS THIS. Steward tried to kill Keene. Keene fired Steward and Steward got turned into a badger. I'm not sure how MUCH Steward was involved in turning Marion into a squirrel, but I feel like he's involved to some extent. He doesn't like the ECP and he doesn't like Keene. He also knows that Keene is dangerously driven to getting animal rights passed.

Maybe he's trying to manipulate Keene in order to discredit the ECP once and for all?
Signed,
the very worst ferret butler in the world.
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Fine, Keene, let's see where this takes us. But if you get Bino (edit: or Kari, for that matter) involved I'm calling national security.
Last edited by Nathan Kerbonaut on Wed Sep 11, 2019 6:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Make a thing out of it?....He's gonna exploit Marion, ain't he?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
It can be both.
Bah, hes not wearing Ray-Bans! Those are old style Cocoons!

And yes, they do look like something you'd wear after getting dilated. Source? I dilate eyes all day...

To be fair, only our fictional rich ferret here can pull off that look. Maybe it's the lack of pants.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Since everybody's already posting crazy off-the-wall theories, here's another one.
We know Pete promised human-animal equalization to Keen's owner, right? What if that counts as a celestial bargain that, because Pete was a demi-god, the universe must obey? And as a result, no one transformed Marion, it just randomly happened because the universe is now enforcing Pete's bargain for him since he's no longer in a position to do so.

Not necessarily what I think is going on, just an amusing thought that occurred to me that I thought people might enjoy thinking about.
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay, so I was sort of right? I mean we didn't need Steward to come up with the plan because Keene is that crazy. But we still need the coin. SO i have work to do.
Thomas should have a coin, and there are a whole bunch buried in the temple which Keene still owns.

The problem is, I don't think Keene knows that.

Yet.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @