2019/08/14 - (After) Midnight Caller

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Cesco

Re: 2019/08/14 - (After) Midnight Caller

Post by Cesco »

Ah, great! :) Finally we arrived at King though Fox. ;) The call arrived in the middle of the night, but doesn't matter. :P I wonder what Fox told him, but certainly, King is surprised by hearing another case similar to his one... Eheh, the puppies continue keep you two awake. :D Bailey doesn't look great. :P This story is going to take an interesting way now, looking forward for the continuing.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Cesco wrote:Ah, great! :) Finally we arrived at King though Fox. ;) The call arrived in the middle of the night, but doesn't matter. :P I wonder what Fox told him, but certainly, King is surprised by hearing another case similar to his one... Eheh, the puppies continue keep you two awake. :D Bailey doesn't look great. :P This story is going to take an interesting way now, looking forward for the continuing.
As someone with two pups, er, kids, I can tell you that the sleepless nights don't go away once they are a bit more grown. Mine are teenagers now and sometimes that's even scarier.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
shadowlucario50

I Found a Jar of Dirt!

Post by shadowlucario50 »

I'm seeing Classic King coming back. The one who freaks out over everything. I wonder if King might be a substitute parent for Marion later on...

Probably not, but that dynamic would be pretty funny.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I’m thinking that King will help, despite how much he freaks out he is a decent guy and he would be able to show Marion how to adapt. Are the Miltons still involved with the ECP? If so, Marion might be able to contact them through King or the wolves, and the ferrets could help our squirrel complete high school and go to college.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

trekkie wrote:I’m thinking that King will help, despite how much he freaks out he is a decent guy and he would be able to show Marion how to adapt. Are the Miltons still involved with the ECP? If so, Marion might be able to contact them through King or the wolves, and the ferrets could help our squirrel complete high school and go to college.
I think Lana is in charge of that now. But Between Keene and Miles I'm sure they could find a way to at least get Marion a chance at a high school diploma somehow.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
trekkie wrote:I’m thinking that King will help, despite how much he freaks out he is a decent guy and he would be able to show Marion how to adapt. Are the Miltons still involved with the ECP? If so, Marion might be able to contact them through King or the wolves, and the ferrets could help our squirrel complete high school and go to college.
I think Lana is in charge of that now. But Between Keene and Miles I'm sure they could find a way to at least get Marion a chance at a high school diploma somehow.
There is another possibility that might come up. It's a bit (ok, a lot) of a deux ex machina, but if Kitsune gets even a little involved but can't turn Marion back, can he perhaps make it so people don't think it's odd that he was a teenage human the day before yesterday and now he's a squirrel? I'm not sure this path would be that interesting story-wise unless the goal to to gloss over some of the issues that will certainly arise. Notably that the police are looking for Marion the Human.

If Keene gets involved, I'm sure he'd be able to paper things over with a liberal use of green paper. We really haven't seen enough of Lana to know how she'd handle this. Miles might be involved in this really shortly, since its his house that King lives in and that seems to be where Marion is being brought. Being in the wolf house could cause it's own problems....

<Fox, Fido, Bailey, King, Lois and Miles are all gathered in the living room of the house, with Marion standing nervously in the middle of the table. The others are chatting with each other while they wait for Sabrina and Tarot to arrive before planning their next step. Daryl comes sleepily down the stairs.>
Lois: Thanks for the advice, Mr. The Wolf. I'm sure that will help after we gradu... where's Marion?
<Everyone looks up to see a squirrel tail sticking out of Daryls mouth. Lois leaps at him, grabs the wolf by the ear and begins striking him on the mouth>
Lois: No! Bad wolf! Drop my boyfriend!!
<Stunned, Daryl spits out the squirrel and retreats to the other side of the room. Lois picks up Marion, who is shaking like a leaf.>
Bailey: <Offers a fist-bump> A woman after my own heart.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

So here is my thinking. I'm going to stick with my King as Marion's advisor/sensei for the moment because there is so much potential there. One, Marion is still a teenager which means that there a fairly large age gap between him and King. Marion is 18 and King has to be in his thirties. I mean I'm thinking King must be twice Marion's age. Anyway, the point is that there is so potential for that dynamic of the young rebel versus the older wiser character who isn't that old but gets mocked for it anyway. We're dealing with human teens now and we've already seen it can get ugly.
Sir Chestnut wrote:
My money is still on having the ECP allow him to finish high school. The Miltons can pull some strings and allow Marion to take his exams in private or at home. Then they can help him get into an online program like Miles. On the internet, no one knows you're a squirrel or a wolf for that matter.
dr_eirik wrote:I could easily see a mixture of things. Bailey would want to help because shes the type that wouldn't walk past a wounded animal without trying to help. But she may regret that if King starts talking to Marion about all the problems that he went though, and possibly still goes through. After all, he still has issues with basic dog behavior at times, like when Bailey got him to try and groom his pups.
I wouldn't call those issues as much as common sense. King is like "I love them dearly but no."
dr_eirik wrote: I'm not sure that she'd think King was nuts, at least less than she might have a couple of hours before. I think by the time Marion has calmed down and they are holding hands while Fido and Fox talk that she's very close to being 100% convinced. I think another dog (with backup from Bailey and Daryl, who saw the transformation first hand in Australia) and possibly later at least two of the Miltons (Keene and Rock) I don't think she'd have much room to doubt anymore.
The biggest twist ever would be if they have some kind of history. One thing Housepets needs is soap opera drama. Like King is Lois's long lost brother! Her name is Lois Robinson. Maybe not that, but some kind pre-existing history that would make things super awkward and raise scales. I mean we are going to get that with Fido finding out about King but something that really ties Lois and Marion into the characters lives beyond the present story.
dr_eirik wrote:What I think I love about how this has gone and where we are at right now is that I feel like Rick has set up several possible arcs for the future, possibly the next arc and possibly months or even years from now. The obvious one is that Fox and Fido may come to figurative blows once Kings secret is out, which seems inevitable now that he's been dragged into this.
It is inevitable now so things are going to get weird. At this point we're essentially going to have two simultaneous story threads at the same time. Marion versus King threads. Even if King can't do much to help Marion, there is going to be heck to pay.
dr_eirik wrote:I was thinking this morning that King is a world champ at opening his muzzle and inserting his paw. How likely is it that he's going to say something in the next few pages that makes Bailey think that he really regrets his life as a dog? I think there is no question that he loves and cares for her, and that there is no way that he'd give up what he has to return to humanity, but how easy would it be for him to plant seeds of doubt in her head that eat at her?
That would be interesting to see but honestly I think that ship sailed. Plus that might be too heavy for this comic. King's life sucked so much before and has improved so I don't think there would be too much to regret other than his loss of human status which hasn't played a role in the comic as far as we've seen. There have been some moments when he wasn't taken seriously as a dog but those are few and far in-between. The only thing that would cause him to regret his choice was if something super major happened. I mean life altering major. *cough his father shows up*
dr_eirik wrote:Upthread, someone mentioned this going to Dragons temple, and I think that this is going to happen... eventually. We are not going to smash-cut to Cairo in the next arc. Even if the answer is there, I'm not sure that Kitsune (who might be the only cast member who knows where it is) would volunteer that answer without really good reason.
It will happen but I would say at the end of the series. The final saga where everything reaches its conclusion.
dr_eirik wrote:And, of course, there is still Steward. He's out there with a magic coin having lost his possible in at the ECP. I'm not 100% sure that he knew Marion had been human when they talked, but he will pretty shortly. The circle of pets that know transformation is possible is getting bigger and bigger, and that will likely be an open secret at some point. I suspect that Steward will return, now with an actual plan, and a threat against Lois and/or Julia.
Good old Steward. I agree with all of this.
dr_eirik wrote: <Fox, Fido, Bailey, King, Lois and Miles are all gathered in the living room of the house, with Marion standing nervously in the middle of the table. The others are chatting with each other while they wait for Sabrina and Tarot to arrive before planning their next step. Daryl comes sleepily down the stairs.>
Lois: Thanks for the advice, Mr. The Wolf. I'm sure that will help after we gradu... where's Marion?
<Everyone looks up to see a squirrel tail sticking out of Daryls mouth. Lois leaps at him, grabs the wolf by the ear and begins striking him on the mouth>
Lois: No! Bad wolf! Drop my boyfriend!!
<Stunned, Daryl spits out the squirrel and retreats to the other side of the room. Lois picks up Marion, who is shaking like a leaf.>
Bailey: <Offers a fist-bump> A woman after my own heart.
Bailey: We got to take care of our men.
Lois: You know it, girl.

I feel like Bailey/Lois dynamic is not being discussed enough. Because there a lot of potential as the significant others of the former humans. Plus they are so similar to each other as strong willed female figures whose mates are pretty much wimps.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

i agree a bit of that might be a bit heavy for this comic as well. But it has been hinted that King's past was a bit dark even before PETA and some of that might come to light. Him getting a computer was kind of out of the blue and I feel that much like the coin, it is in some form, a Checkov's Gun even if it's only used for something small.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Awesome. I was worried that we were going to get another crazy twist on where things would go from here, but it looks like after all of Marion's misfortune earlier in the story arc, some straightforward actions by Fox (and possibly Fido; he could be dialing up Sabrina like Eirik said), he's finally got the best possible crew together to het him the help he needs. All the theorizing and coming up with ideas for scenes and interactions regarding the when/how on him getting that help was fun, but Rick knocked it out of the freaking park with the last few strips in regards to emotional/cathartic payoff (I teared up a bit again re-reading last Friday's strip) leading into plot/continuity payoff by getting the most qualified characters on-board to help our poor squirrel.

Also, if it's around 3 in the morning, and Marion might've gone to sleep around 9PM at the end of the last chapter, then he's gotten about 5 hours of rest, which is nice. Would've loved to see this chapter end on a panel of him sleeping snugly and catching some more Z's somewhere, but his hug with Lois and her holding his hand and consoling him in the strip right after is awesome too.

Also also, why does King have an old-style flip phone? You'd think he'd have a smartphone or something.
dr_eirik wrote:I'm not sure that she'd think King was nuts, at least less than she might have a couple of hours before. I think by the time Marion has calmed down and they are holding hands while Fido and Fox talk that she's very close to being 100% convinced. I think another dog (with backup from Bailey and Daryl, who saw the transformation first hand in Australia) and possibly later at least two of the Miltons (Keene and Rock) I don't think she'd have much room to doubt anymore.
Agreed. She's definitely at 90-95%. She just needs another character to corroborate Marion's story and the idea that, yeah, people can turn into animals under certain circumstances.

Real excited to see where things go from here. Lots of possible intriguing and/or funny interactions between characters, especially if Lois is going to continue to tag along:
-Lois and Marion talking to Miles and Rockstar, who they may know from school if they are all indeed at the same one.
-Lois and Marion having to grapple with the existence of magi(k) and the supernatural. Bonus points if Lois has any connections to either Sabrina or Tarot, and they managed to keep their powers and stuff secret from Lois all this time. -Like was discussed in the last thread, a potential confrontation between Fox and Fido regarding King and his human identity.
-King commiserating with Marion, both of them sharing stories about their "first day", and King giving some Pointers to the squirrel.
-Marion going to the Miltons in an attempt to enroll in the ECP. Maybe there, we see King and Bailey trying to do the same thing, and we get a future arc that centers around both of them going job-hunting so he can provide for the pups.
-Marion could always hang out with Falstaff & Truck more. I have a feeling that we'll be seeing them and the rest of the treehouse folks sooner rather than later, especially with Steward potentially making moves.

Now, on to the Guest Week!
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: My money is still on having the ECP allow him to finish high school. The Miltons can pull some strings and allow Marion to take his exams in private or at home. Then they can help him get into an online program like Miles. On the internet, no one knows you're a squirrel or a wolf for that matter.
There might be an easier way. A little light fraud and a doctors note could allow Marion to take his exams at home because he's "sick". No need for the ECP, since as far as the world is concerned for the moment, Marion really isn't missing just yet, just absent. If they manage to get his mother on board, they can just claim he's too ill to attend school, he finishes his finals at home (proctored by Miles, of course) and he graduates.
fenrirblack wrote: The biggest twist ever would be if they have some kind of history. One thing Housepets needs is soap opera drama. Like King is Lois's long lost brother! Her name is Lois Robinson. Maybe not that, but some kind pre-existing history that would make things super awkward and raise scales. I mean we are going to get that with Fido finding out about King but something that really ties Lois and Marion into the characters lives beyond the present story.
I agree that would be an interesting twist. Finding out that Lois (or Marion for that matter) is a distant relative. It's been suggested that it would be interesting to see Lois be the owner of one of the pets we know. Tarot would be the most fun, but it would be tough to see how that would work retroactively.
fenrirblack wrote: That would be interesting to see but honestly I think that ship sailed. Plus that might be too heavy for this comic. King's life sucked so much before and has improved so I don't think there would be too much to regret other than his loss of human status which hasn't played a role in the comic as far as we've seen. There have been some moments when he wasn't taken seriously as a dog but those are few and far in-between. The only thing that would cause him to regret his choice was if something super major happened. I mean life altering major. *cough his father shows up*
I wasn't thinking that he'd voice some huge regret, but might somewhat accidently go off on the indignities that he's faced being a dog ("I was locked up in a kennel, humans don't take me seriously, the vet doesn't give lollipops after you get a shot...") Nothing that is earth-shattering, but just a series of minor indignities that, to Bailey, make it sound like he has serious regrets.

I don't think that he regrets his dog-hood for a moment. But if he starts to catalog his annoyances, then he may be sleeping in the dog house.

dr_eirik wrote:Upthread, someone mentioned this going to Dragons temple, and I think that this is going to happen... eventually. We are not going to smash-cut to Cairo in the next arc. Even if the answer is there, I'm not sure that Kitsune (who might be the only cast member who knows where it is) would volunteer that answer without really good reason.
It will happen but I would say at the end of the series. The final saga where everything reaches its conclusion.[/quote]

The way you put that feels way too final. I hope that, if and when we do reach the Temple, that it' just another step in the story.

fenrirblack wrote:
I feel like Bailey/Lois dynamic is not being discussed enough. Because there a lot of potential as the significant others of the former humans. Plus they are so similar to each other as strong willed female figures whose mates are pretty much wimps.
They could be an interesting force to be reckoned with.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

I don't think the next arc after guest week will be about Marion at all. Him and his story are just one of many in Housepets!. Take King's story for example. That was the closest thing to an overarching story for the series and there would be five or ten arcs in-between every one that was relevant to that. There is the difference of Marion has a timetable because of finals and graduation though, so we might continue to get arcs about him at the expense of the rest of the cast until it gets to a point they're only waiting "until 'indefinitely' happens".
Xane wrote:Hopefully King hasn't had the statue melted down by now.
I doubt our corgi has access to a 2000° furnace.
Argent wrote:"No, I can't turn you back, but I can turn you into your favorite superhero..."

"You mean..."

"... SQUIRREL GIRL!"
I have higher exceptions for Marion. If his favorite superhero is Squirrel Girl he needs to get an infusion of culture.
Sir Chestnut wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
LunarFox wrote:Maybe this is just me, but I'm seriously thinking that all of this is leading to more Temple Crashers. Anybody else agree?
Not possible. The temple can't get MORE crashed than it is!
There's still Dragon's temple in Egypt. Although I don't think anyone but Craig and Draig know about it's existence.
Peanut, Grape, Max, Sabrina, and Tarot all know of Dragon's temple, though with a dearth of landmarks and the shifting sands of time, they would only know its location in a very broad sense. However, Sabrina's dad is a globe-trotting archeologist who's been to Egypt before so it's possible he's uncovered it. Could you imagine:
Stanley: Sabrina! I'm home! You would not believe our latest expedition. We discovered the Amber Room as well as this cool temple with a dragon and a griffin on it. We didn't have an Akkadian translator with us so we're scheduling--
Sabrina: You found a what?!
dr_eirik wrote:...the vet doesn't give lollipops after you get a shot...
The vets do, actually.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:I don't think the next arc after guest week will be about Marion at all. Him and his story are just one of many in Housepets!. Take King's story for example. That was the closest thing to an overarching story for the series and there would be five or ten arcs in-between every one that was relevant to that. There is the difference of Marion has a timetable because of finals and graduation though, so we might continue to get arcs about him at the expense of the rest of the cast until it gets to a point they're only waiting "until 'indefinitely' happens".
We might be getting to the point where it becomes like the hot springs and the story shifts to a different protagonist but revolves around the same storyline. People have said that we might be shifting to King and give him MC status for a chapter. But even then it might stick with Marion for a while longer. It wouldn't be the first time we've had an arc that went well into the Fall. Call of the Wild lasted til October and the K-9 PD until December. I wouldn't mind shifting the story POV to someone else for a chapter or two. King hasn't been the MC of a story since his date night. No matter what though, we need to get Marion settled like King was with the ECP and the wolves before we do anything else.

No matter what though, King being in the story is always exciting because no matter what we always learn something new about him. "My mother is dead and my father is alive, I have a negative history with computers, I went to college, my parents kicked me out, I was arrested even before the PETA thing."
dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: My money is still on having the ECP allow him to finish high school. The Miltons can pull some strings and allow Marion to take his exams in private or at home. Then they can help him get into an online program like Miles. On the internet, no one knows you're a squirrel or a wolf for that matter.
There might be an easier way. A little light fraud and a doctors note could allow Marion to take his exams at home because he's "sick". No need for the ECP, since as far as the world is concerned for the moment, Marion really isn't missing just yet, just absent. If they manage to get his mother on board, they can just claim he's too ill to attend school, he finishes his finals at home (proctored by Miles, of course) and he graduates.
My thinking is that might need the Milton's money to persuade the doctors to forge that note or still convince the school to let him take the exams. My school, they did not mess around when it came to finals. You showed up or you failed no matter what. I think we had make up days but clearly Marion is not changing back anytime soon.
Ash Greytree wrote:
Also also, why does King have an old-style flip phone? You'd think he'd have a smartphone or something.
He is such an old man. He has had that same phone since Year 4. https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... tage-pass/
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Champion Wallace wrote:I don't think the next arc after guest week will be about Marion at all. Him and his story are just one of many in Housepets!. Take King's story for example. That was the closest thing to an overarching story for the series and there would be five or ten arcs in-between every one that was relevant to that. There is the difference of Marion has a timetable because of finals and graduation though, so we might continue to get arcs about him at the expense of the rest of the cast until it gets to a point they're only waiting "until 'indefinitely' happens".
I think the next arc is going to start mixing in the characters. Marion and Lois are still going to be front and center, but I think we're going to start shunting them aside a bit and seeing more of our familiar characters in the mix. I can't see Rick jumping to a totally different story just yet. Its going to happen, and I suspect the next arc will be the last Marion-centric arc for a little while. I don't think we'll see a story arc without connective tissue to the girl and squirrel for a little while.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Champion Wallace wrote:
Argent wrote:"No, I can't turn you back, but I can turn you into your favorite superhero..."

"You mean..."

"... SQUIRREL GIRL!"
I have higher exceptions for Marion. If his favorite superhero is Squirrel Girl he needs to get an infusion of culture.
That was Kitsune trolling Marion because he's a squirrel girl.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Xane wrote:
Champion Wallace wrote:From Arc 49: A Holiday at the Zoo
rickgriffin wrote:I didn't expand too much on this in the comic but I might at some point in the future: Miles and his immediate family live in the house all the time, and Daryl does most of the time; the rest of the family sorta goes in and out for visitations. It's just going to be hard to draw ALL of them at once.
This was eventually retconned. Note that Jack and Elaine and Natalie have canonically been shown to have their own bedrooms (King's pups being born and the Satau arc). I think the Griffin made a comment about it on one of those strips.
The Call of the Wild arc essentially said that they all live there now even if that wasn’t the case in 2011.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:The biggest twist ever would be if they have some kind of history. One thing Housepets needs is soap opera drama. Like King is Lois's long lost brother! Her name is Lois Robinson. Maybe not that, but some kind pre-existing history that would make things super awkward and raise scales. I mean we are going to get that with Fido finding out about King but something that really ties Lois and Marion into the characters lives beyond the present story.
I agree that would be an interesting twist. Finding out that Lois (or Marion for that matter) is a distant relative. It's been suggested that it would be interesting to see Lois be the owner of one of the pets we know. Tarot would be the most fun, but it would be tough to see how that would work retroactively.
For me, this has always been a major turn off in a serial. I much prefer that an author introduce a new character and weave them into the story than try to retroactively justify their existence. It always seems to come across as a plot convenience that makes it harder for me to buy into the story. Maybe that's just because I've only ever seen it done poorly, but I've never liked this trope >_<
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Obbl wrote:For me, this has always been a major turn off in a serial. I much prefer that an author introduce a new character and weave them into the story than try to retroactively justify their existence. It always seems to come across as a plot convenience that makes it harder for me to buy into the story. Maybe that's just because I've only ever seen it done poorly, but I've never liked this trope >_<
I agree that, handled badly, it would come off ham-handed. Look at just about any TV show that introduces a best friend or relative about four season in when you're wondering where they've been all this time. I think the only show I can think of where this worked (albeit as a one off joke) was one of the X-files episodes that had a character that claimed to be part of the original group, and then they digitally added him into the intro and old footage.

I think it can work with Lois in this strip. We see a lot of pets that are completely apart from their owners. We've never seen the vast majority of them and don't know how they interact. It does become an issue if this happens and it's a character that would have traits that are hard to hide (like Tarot) or is someone that would kind of break the story (like any of the K9's).

But that leaves a bunch of possibilities with little or no retconning. That's assuming that Rick even wants her to have a previous pet to begin with. Especially since it feels like her new pet is going to be her boyfriend.

Of course, this is a question that's likely to be answered relatively soon. I suspect that Marion will end up at Lois's house as at least a stopover before they try to convince his parents.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:I agree that, handled badly, it would come off ham-handed. Look at just about any TV show that introduces a best friend or relative about four season in when you're wondering where they've been all this time. I think the only show I can think of where this worked (albeit as a one off joke) was one of the X-files episodes that had a character that claimed to be part of the original group, and then they digitally added him into the intro and old footage.

I think it can work with Lois in this strip. We see a lot of pets that are completely apart from their owners. We've never seen the vast majority of them and don't know how they interact. It does become an issue if this happens and it's a character that would have traits that are hard to hide (like Tarot) or is someone that would kind of break the story (like any of the K9's).
We don't need her to be in the background the entire time but a relationship would help not unlike being the owner of a pet in the cast. But the more I think about it the more it would be easier and more convenient just to have her start fresh. I mean we don't even know if she lives in Babylon Gardens or not. Even if she was an owner, would it even matter? There wouldn't be anything to gain. For example she was Leter's owner. Okay and.....nothing.

I know I said earlier that she should have something that ties her to the pets on a more fundamental level but now I can't think of a reason why it would matter other than I like that kind of thing. I mean if there was saucy history between Lois and another character then something would be gained.
dr_eirik wrote:But that leaves a bunch of possibilities with little or no retconning. That's assuming that Rick even wants her to have a previous pet to begin with. Especially since it feels like her new pet is going to be her boyfriend.

Of course, this is a question that's likely to be answered relatively soon. I suspect that Marion will end up at Lois's house as at least a stopover before they try to convince his parents.
I hope that is just a stopover and not something more permanent like he's is expected to be her pet not unlike King was Pete's (Which was still weird no matter how you look at it.) Considering it is 3 a.m. he's going to have to stay somewhere until his parents are awake enough to comprehend what has happened to him. But I hope it doesn't turn into a situation where Marion calls them and makes up some haft baked excuse for why he can't see them for the near future because saying it right now, that sounds so stupid and not even believable. They have to tell them something just to put their own minds to rest. King was easy, his mother was dead and his father probably disowned him and I would assume any other ties were lost a long time ago.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

With the way King sometimes comes across in certain situations and how he freaks out at almost anything, I am half-expecting Bailey to haul off and smack him sitcom style one of these days.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:With the way King sometimes comes across in certain situations and how he freaks out at almost anything, I am half-expecting Bailey to haul off and smack him sitcom style one of these days.
It's interesting when you think of how he wasn't always like that. Even back when he was first transformed, he handled it like a pro. His first "freak-out" was at the Christmas party but that was natural reaction plus the embodiment of issues that have plagued him since childhood. Honestly though his freak outs were appropriate given the circumstances like with the watch situation. It was technically part of his soul being tossed around coupled with the fact that in his dog body he is small and more helpless compared to the other pets so he had a lot to freak out over when you take into consideration just how helpless he was and has been since his introduction. It got worse when the pups were born and he became an overprotective father but that most likely has more to do with his own issues with his own parents. If I was going to go all psychiatrist on him, I would say his "freak-outs" stem from a developed feeling of helplessness that has been fostering since his childhood then blossom when he literally became a weak and helpless animal then forced to reckon with celestial forces that no normal being should be expected to deal with and remain calm. To reckon with this helplessness he strives for control of his surroundings which shows in his caring of the pups. His most recent freak-out over the phone is the resurgence of that helpless as the fear of once again being thrown into a situation where he has zero control.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Hm. I never really thought of it that way. I do have to say though, its just a testament to his mental FORTITUDE that King hasn't wound up in an institution yet (does the HP! world even have mental institutions for dogs?) :?:
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Next arc starts tomorrow. Real interested in where and when exactly this next chapter is going to start. The way King freaked out makes it seem like we wouldn't be any state to go back to sleep. My guess is that, that same night, Fox & Fido take Lois and Marion over to King and some important things get sorted out. But picking up right exactly where we left off might be a bit too on-the-nose, so maybe the new arc starts with a couple of strips of Marion waking up somewhere safe and sound, which then leads into the next handful of strips which flash back to the night before where everything with Fox & King & Fido & maybe Kitsune happens. Basically, a "How did I get to this point again?" flashback for a handful of strips "Oh yeah, that's how." type of scenario, and then it goes from there as Marion starts his day.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote:Next arc starts tomorrow. Real interested in where and when exactly this next chapter is going to start. The way King freaked out makes it seem like we wouldn't be any state to go back to sleep. My guess is that, that same night, Fox & Fido take Lois and Marion over to King and some important things get sorted out. But picking up right exactly where we left off might be a bit too on-the-nose, so maybe the new arc starts with a couple of strips of Marion waking up somewhere safe and sound, which then leads into the next handful of strips which flash back to the night before where everything with Fox & King & Fido & maybe Kitsune happens. Basically, a "How did I get to this point again?" flashback for a handful of strips "Oh yeah, that's how." type of scenario, and then it goes from there as Marion starts his day.
Does it start tomorrow? I'd have thought it would be Monday.

I suspect that we'll start pretty shortly after the call we saw happen. It's not likely that Marion would decide that now is a good time for a long nights sleep since he's finally finding people and pets that believe him, unless he's so exhausted that he falls asleep curled in Loises lap. I suppose we might see Lois separated for the moment (she does have finals the next day) but I think she'll stick around. I still think that we will see very shortly King yelling at the statue. If Kitsune decides to appear is up to him.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

dr_eirik wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:Next arc starts tomorrow. Real interested in where and when exactly this next chapter is going to start. The way King freaked out makes it seem like we wouldn't be any state to go back to sleep. My guess is that, that same night, Fox & Fido take Lois and Marion over to King and some important things get sorted out. But picking up right exactly where we left off might be a bit too on-the-nose, so maybe the new arc starts with a couple of strips of Marion waking up somewhere safe and sound, which then leads into the next handful of strips which flash back to the night before where everything with Fox & King & Fido & maybe Kitsune happens. Basically, a "How did I get to this point again?" flashback for a handful of strips "Oh yeah, that's how." type of scenario, and then it goes from there as Marion starts his day.
Does it start tomorrow? I'd have thought it would be Monday.

I suspect that we'll start pretty shortly after the call we saw happen. It's not likely that Marion would decide that now is a good time for a long nights sleep since he's finally finding people and pets that believe him, unless he's so exhausted that he falls asleep curled in Loises lap. I suppose we might see Lois separated for the moment (she does have finals the next day) but I think she'll stick around. I still think that we will see very shortly King yelling at the statue. If Kitsune decides to appear is up to him.
I'm pretty sure it'll start next week as I'm pretty sure 'Guest Week' runs until the week is over.

What if, just to throw this out there since I've been doing this alot with my writings, it was Celestial who changed Marion but not Kitsune? Like there's another Celestial no one knows about and is going to be introduced, say one that deals with protecting the lives of animals and Marion did something to a squirrel and, thus, this Celestial wanted him to experience what it would be like to be a squirrel (Sorta like the book The Ant Bully)?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

SeanWolf wrote:
I'm pretty sure it'll start next week as I'm pretty sure 'Guest Week' runs until the week is over.

What if, just to throw this out there since I've been doing this alot with my writings, it was Celestial who changed Marion but not Kitsune? Like there's another Celestial no one knows about and is going to be introduced, say one that deals with protecting the lives of animals and Marion did something to a squirrel and, thus, this Celestial wanted him to experience what it would be like to be a squirrel (Sorta like the book The Ant Bully)?

I have thought of that as a possibility. If Marion was aware that he'd harmed a squirrel, then you'd think he'd have recalled it when he was trying to figure out what happened. Of course, that doesn't mean he didn't hit one with his car or something. Another celestial certainly seems to be a possibility. Just the fact that the only ones that seem to have the power to transform others are the celestials. Feels like we should have seen some kind of hint by now, though. What use is a punishment if the punished doesn't even know why it's happening?

I'm almost surprised that Rick has managed to go this deep into the story without giving us a reason for the transformation. I actually am thinking that, while we will find out eventually, it won't be in the next arc. I suspect that even Kitsune is either not going to know, or won't tell since that's more his style.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

dr_eirik wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:

I have thought of that as a possibility. If Marion was aware that he'd harmed a squirrel, then you'd think he'd have recalled it when he was trying to figure out what happened. Of course, that doesn't mean he didn't hit one with his car or something. Another celestial certainly seems to be a possibility. Just the fact that the only ones that seem to have the power to transform others are the celestials. Feels like we should have seen some kind of hint by now, though. What use is a punishment if the punished doesn't even know why it's happening?

I'm almost surprised that Rick has managed to go this deep into the story without giving us a reason for the transformation. I actually am thinking that, while we will find out eventually, it won't be in the next arc. I suspect that even Kitsune is either not going to know, or won't tell since that's more his style.
Good point though sometimes someone guilty of doing something can sometimes play it up like that they have no memory of said event.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

SeanWolf wrote:What if, just to throw this out there since I've been doing this alot with my writings, it was Celestial who changed Marion but not Kitsune? Like there's another Celestial no one knows about and is going to be introduced, say one that deals with protecting the lives of animals and Marion did something to a squirrel and, thus, this Celestial wanted him to experience what it would be like to be a squirrel (Sorta like the book The Ant Bully)?
I’m not sure that’ll happen. Everything up until now has framed Marion as a sympathetic character that we should be rooting for. For script to then flip and go “Actually Marion was a jerk and totally deserved everything he got” like every other human we’ve seen who got transformed into an animal would just feel cheap.

The only way I feel a “karmic retribution” plot featuring a brand new Celestial would work would be if the Celestial in question was extremely petty and Marion did something that totally did not justify him getting turned into a squirrel. Like, his mom asked him to set up an anti-squirrel bird feeder in the backyard and then a week later a squirrel sprained their ankle trying to steal food from it or something.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Ash Greytree wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:What if, just to throw this out there since I've been doing this alot with my writings, it was Celestial who changed Marion but not Kitsune? Like there's another Celestial no one knows about and is going to be introduced, say one that deals with protecting the lives of animals and Marion did something to a squirrel and, thus, this Celestial wanted him to experience what it would be like to be a squirrel (Sorta like the book The Ant Bully)?
I’m not sure that’ll happen. Everything up until now has framed Marion as a sympathetic character that we should be rooting for. For script to then flip and go “Actually Marion was a jerk and totally deserved everything he got” like every other human we’ve seen who got transformed into an animal would just feel cheap.

The only way I feel a “karmic retribution” plot featuring a brand new Celestial would work would be if the Celestial in question was extremely petty and Marion did something that totally did not justify him getting turned into a squirrel. Like, his mom asked him to set up an anti-squirrel bird feeder in the backyard and then a week later a squirrel sprained their ankle trying to steal food from it or something.
Which would led to a Celestial going "Yeah, that's a No-No in my book..." and then turning her son into a squirrel and, throwing this out, getting in touch with the mother somehow and saying "If you want your son to be human again, then get a more humane anti-squirrel bird feeder" (Though the mother would think it to be a prank and ignore it, thus dooming him to this life for a good while...and now I did a depressing...)?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

SeanWolf wrote:
Which would led to a Celestial going "Yeah, that's a No-No in my book..." and then turning her son into a squirrel and, throwing this out, getting in touch with the mother somehow and saying "If you want your son to be human again, then get a more humane anti-squirrel bird feeder" (Though the mother would think it to be a prank and ignore it, thus dooming him to this life for a good while...and now I did a depressing...)?
I dunno, none of this is impossible in this strip, it even fits what we know so far (which is really nothing about Marion specifically, just the universe). If this is the story, then why Marion? Shouldn't there be others, perhaps many others, being transformed? If there is suddenly a Celstial, or demon for that matter, punishing humans for wrongs against animal-kind, then has he stopped by Sashas place? I'm not sure she's been abused, but definitely neglected.

I guess this question, and many more, will be answered in the next episode of Soa.... Housepets.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is actually right. If this really was a case of a Celestial or an other animal punishing humans for hurting animals in some way then the FIRST human to be transformed had to be Sasha's father because there is no way anybody with that power or someone who scouted the neighborhood would not know how much of a neglectful barf bag he is.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:That is actually right. If this really was a case of a Celestial or an other animal punishing humans for hurting animals in some way then the FIRST human to be transformed had to be Sasha's father because there is no way anybody with that power or someone who scouted the neighborhood would not know how much of a neglectful barf bag he is.
Who to say he isn't already transformed? For all we know he could be if this theory is to be true (Same time, how long has it been since the whole Sasha conviction arc in Housepets time)?
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

SeanWolf wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:That is actually right. If this really was a case of a Celestial or an other animal punishing humans for hurting animals in some way then the FIRST human to be transformed had to be Sasha's father because there is no way anybody with that power or someone who scouted the neighborhood would not know how much of a neglectful barf bag he is.
Who to say he isn't already transformed? For all we know he could be if this theory is to be true (Same time, how long has it been since the whole Sasha conviction arc in Housepets time)?
It's been a while. Inside the arc, there was a time jump to Christmas that was a few months after the story. If it's one real year per comic year, it's about 2 years, I think.

Your right, too. If a handful of others have been changes it seems likely it would take about a day to start coming out. I guess we will find out when dawn comes to Babylon Gardens.
SeanWolf

Post by SeanWolf »

dr_eirik wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:
It's been a while. Inside the arc, there was a time jump to Christmas that was a few months after the story. If it's one real year per comic year, it's about 2 years, I think.

Your right, too. If a handful of others have been changes it seems likely it would take about a day to start coming out. I guess we will find out when dawn comes to Babylon Gardens.
'George A Romero's Dawn Of The Pets' (Couldn't resist).
Argent

Post by Argent »

I hope it's not a new celestial pulling a "Waggily Tale" on Marion. Both because Lois would have mentioned something about Marion hating squirrels before now just to foreshadow it, and because Pete already hung a lampshade on that plot with King after he met Sasha on the street.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:

Well, there's a whole labyrinth of directions for this arc to go, given the unanswereds still standing. A lot could be fleshed out as well in terms of the Marion-Lois relationship plus other characters known and unknown tied in (i.e the K9s and the treehouse gang) or hovering about. Rick's spent a pretty fair amount of time and ink developing the arc so far (Marion's had a lot of "Stage Time"). Once Guest Week is over, he may decide to break the narrative with a couple of short arcs or one or two comic interludes. We'll see, I guess.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

NHWestoN wrote:
Well, there's a whole labyrinth of directions for this arc to go, given the unanswereds still standing. A lot could be fleshed out as well in terms of the Marion-Lois relationship plus other characters known and unknown tied in (i.e the K9s and the treehouse gang) or hovering about. Rick's spent a pretty fair amount of time and ink developing the arc so far (Marion's had a lot of "Stage Time"). Once Guest Week is over, he may decide to break the narrative with a couple of short arcs or one or two comic interludes. We'll see, I guess.
I think to call the possible directions here labyrinthine is an understatement. That just covers the more-or-less obvious directions the plot could go. Since we don't know what is going on, there are possibly dozens of different directions we could follow that we can't even speculate on. Not that that's stopped me before. :D

I'm not so sure that he's going to break the narrative at this point, but more likely mix in familiar characters. We already have Fox, Fido, King and Bailey in the picture. Presumably Tarot and Sabrina are going to be present shortly. We may see Marion as more a background character for the next arc.

I doubt (and hope) that he's not going to shift to a completely different arc now. :D
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't think that he is gonna switch over to another arc either and Rick will head straight back into the storyline after guest week is over. I do think its possible we will see other characters appear and take Marion's place as the one that is being focused on, but I don't think Rick will just jump to a new arc. Especially after guest week. Rick isn't cruel like that. ;)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I don't think that he is gonna switch over to another arc either and Rick will head straight back into the storyline after guest week is over. I do think its possible we will see other characters appear and take Marion's place as the one that is being focused on, but I don't think Rick will just jump to a new arc. Especially after guest week. Rick isn't cruel like that. ;)
I don't know, I think if Marion popped out of our screens he'd have a few choice words for the author. 8-)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

No I meant that we wouldn't see Marion in the comic after the arc switches to another character for a bit before switching back to Marion. :roll:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:No I meant that we wouldn't see Marion in the comic after the arc switches to another character for a bit before switching back to Marion. :roll:
I knew what you meant, but I was just joking that Rick can be cruel to his characters, just not to us...