For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2019/08/12 - Police Rapport

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since when did Fido start morphing into Ralph Mk II? :|
Argent

Post by Argent »

dr_eirik wrote: That is a hard question to answer. Both have a great deal of knowledge of the subject, but a fraction of the power that they once had. I suspect they will be able to at least confirm Marions claims, but from there it's most likely an attempt to contact Kitsune.
That's easy peasy, he's in King's closet.

And I'm sure GK will turn it into a voyage of adventure and discovery for Marion and Lois. Maybe turn Lois into a squirrel and send them off to find an animal prophet...

...called the Opener of the Ways.

BOY ARE THEY GOING TO BE MAD.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Since when did Fido start morphing into Ralph Mk II?
Eight or ten strips back when he got a sudden attack of grumpymuzzle.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh so a few strips back and it came out of the blue. Hope we can find a vaccination for that. :lol:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Argent wrote:
dr_eirik wrote: That is a hard question to answer. Both have a great deal of knowledge of the subject, but a fraction of the power that they once had. I suspect they will be able to at least confirm Marions claims, but from there it's most likely an attempt to contact Kitsune.

And I'm sure GK will turn it into a voyage of adventure and discovery for Marion and Lois. Maybe turn Lois into a squirrel and send them off to find an animal prophet...

...called the Opener of the Ways.

BOY ARE THEY GOING TO BE MAD./quote]
I think that Zach would be even madder, since he really wants to let this whole thing go away. :D

Kitsune is going to be interesting. He can't just fix things in a snap of the fingers, because then why would we have bothered to read all this? It's been pointed out that direct intervention isn't really his style, even at the mana pool when the fate of the world was on the line, he manipulated Res into doing what was needed.

I lean toward Kitsune being unable to help for some reason. It's hard to see why he'd put Marion though some kind of quest just to do so without some reason. Either that, or for some reason they won't be able to find him. Which might be even more disturbing.

I could see him turning Lois into a squirrel as an example...

<After introductions, explanations, and shock have been worked though, Kitsune is examining Marion, who is standing on a coffee table at The Wolf residence while everyone looks on.>
Kitsune: Interesting. I've never seen something like this before. <Snaps fingers, nothing happens> I can't even change you back on my own. Very interesting.
Lois: You have that power?
<Kitsune snaps again and suddenly there is a squirrel were Lois was standing>
Lois: What the...??
Marion: Lois! Turn her back!!
<Kitsune snaps his fingers and Lois is back>
Kitsune: Well, at least this isn't a problem with my powers.
Marion: You mean you didn't know if you'd be able to change her back?!
Lois: <still stunned> Why am I still craving walnuts?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Awesome. Looks like Marion's going to be getting the help he needs, and it's going to be Sabrina. There's still time left in this chapter/part for a funny twist; wonder if Lois is a relative of D'Angelo's? But then again, if that were the case, Fido probably would've known Lois when she went to the station; I bet Fido's been to at least a few Holiday get-togethers with Sabrina's family. Maybe Lois, when they go over to Sabrina's place, says "Hey, aren't you the cat that hangs out with my dog all the time?" :lol:

Also, it might've been asked already, but does Guest Week actually start on the 16th, or the update after the 16th? I just have this "Do we go on the count of 3, or is it 3 and then go??" type of confusion here Cause if the Guest Week starts on the 19th, that means that we'll have two more strips; maybe one to show them getting to Sabrina's and the situation being explained to her, and one to show what goes down there with some answers and a twist to close out the chapter.
dr_eirik wrote:I dont think you're off track, but I think this is going to come up much later, like multiple arcs later. It feels like there is likely one more arc here before shifting back to the rest of the cast for a while. Marion is the new King, as it were. I would not be shocked if we see him much more peripheral for a while.
Agreed. I get this vibe that the next part/chapter is going to be about Marion settling into a new routine and meeting the rest of the cast through said routine. Sort of like how I though this are was going to go when I was guessing stuff a bit back. And then after that, he's going to become a regular cast member and we'll get a shift in perspective to others for the next arc(s). I could see a shift away from this overall plot for a bit to something less consequential and more fun before heading back into whatever's going on with Marion.
dr_eirik wrote:<After introductions, explanations, and shock have been worked though, Kitsune is examining Marion, who is standing on a coffee table at The Wolf residence while everyone looks on.>
Kitsune: Interesting. I've never seen something like this before. <Snaps fingers, nothing happens> I can't even change you back on my own. Very interesting.
Lois: You have that power?
<Kitsune snaps again and suddenly there is a squirrel were Lois was standing>
Lois: What the...??
Marion: Lois! Turn her back!!
<Kitsune snaps his fingers and Lois is back>
Kitsune: Well, at least this isn't a problem with my powers.
Marion: You mean you didn't know if you'd be able to change her back?!
Lois: <still stunned> Why am I still craving walnuts?
I would both be excited at such a thing because squirrelified Lois would be awesome, but also angry because then that'd mean it was just a temporary joke rather than long term/permanent and nothing more.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yeah, Fox, and if you're suddenly figured out, that's another case of an human turned into an animal... :? Well, you can't really say to Fox that's ridiculous, Fido. ;) Eheh, right, Fido is with a witch cat, and wow, he already saw all that stuff. :D Speaking of Sabrina, Fido could help Marion due to her, and so, also with Tarot's support. :)
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

dr_eirik wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:
I would be curious what they would do to help Marion.
That is a hard question to answer. Both have a great deal of knowledge of the subject, but a fraction of the power that they once had. I suspect they will be able to at least confirm Marions claims, but from there it's most likely an attempt to contact Kitsune.

Seems like the first priority, assuming that they don't have a way to turn him back, would be to prove to certain people (like Marions parents) that the squirrel is Marion and to call off the cops.
Tarot did know that King was a human back on the Fourth of July party, but we don't know if that was because her psychic powers let her see the human soul in a dog's body or something or if Spirit Dragon dropped in on Tarot one day saying "hey, I was just spying on Pete and he transformed a human into a dog to try to get around the species clause so if you see a purebred Pembroke corgi with a chess piece collar tag, that's Pete's next avatar candidate." Even if it was via her own divination, she may have lost that ability with the departure of her divine patron. We will have to see if Tarot can really verify Marion's claim or if she'll say "You're a human who woke up as a squirrel? I've heard stranger; she, I'm sorry, he's probably telling the truth."
dr_eirik wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:
SeanWolf wrote: I'm kind of curious as to what the repercussions would be if any of the humans in the universe found out about everything and actually believed it. The only humans who really know anything that haven't become animals themselves are the staff at the diner in Australia. Although going back to that strip I noticed Keene had someone filming the whole time. I wonder what happened to the tape?

http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... aos-rains/
I believed it got wiped somehow.
Rock told Keene that the Celestials could choose to be filmed, so all they had was static.

I missed the first part of what you wrote there. I had the impression that they were somehow blocking all the weirdness from the humans in the diner. They didn't react at all to anything. Not even a question or a moment of shock. I think they just had a busy afternoon and had some odd American tourists as customers.
The comic doesn't really focus on humans, so all their reactions were off-panel or barely on panel, but Cerberus's line in Shake It Baby and the title text for Chaos Rains ("Yes, I know I ordered a chocolate milkshake! You don't have to look at me like I have three heads!" and "I am just going to pretend this is a normal occurrence because it has benefited my slightly.") indicate the humans are weirded out by the celestials, but they weren't openly freaking out about them (yet).
Argent wrote:
Not anymore than he's everywhere all the time.
dr_eirik wrote:Kitsune is going to be interesting. He can't just fix things in a snap of the fingers, because then why would we have bothered to read all this?
Have you not enjoyed reading all of this so far?
dr_eirik wrote: It's been pointed out that direct intervention isn't really his style, even at the mana pool when the fate of the world was on the line, he manipulated Res into doing what was needed.
That is true.
The cape comes with the promotion.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Champion Wallace wrote:
dr_eirik wrote: Kitsune is going to be interesting. He can't just fix things in a snap of the fingers, because then why would we have bothered to read all this?
Have you not enjoyed reading all of this so far?
Oh, I can very much say that I have, but if we end the next arc and Marion is turned back into a real boy after a few minutes with Kitsune, that feels like a letdown. At the least, it would be a rather poor ending. I think Rick is far better at his craft than that. Granted, endings are hard. But it would feel very odd if that's all it takes.

I would not be completely shocked if Kitsune is somehow instrumental in changing him back, assuming that he ever is. I've already said I suspect he's never going to be human again, that he'll give it up to save Lois at some point. I've assumed that choice will be forced by Steward. What if it's forced by Kitsune?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote: I think that Zach would be even madder, since he really wants to let this whole thing go away. :D
Two thoughts occurred to me. One is that if Zach doesn't want to be the opener of ways, why not let Tiger do it? Tiger was/is a character that is there for a quick gag and that's sad because everyone loves Tiger in their own way. I think Tiger would do well with the attention and admiration of a cult of ferals plus Marvin can serve as his advisor and speaker. In his own special way, Tiger would be the perfect leader in his own particular way.

The other thought is that they have phones. So why hasn't anyone called anyone else yet? I feel like Fox should give a heads-up to King (also I think it would be funny) to tell him that "it's happening again." Or give Sabrina and Tarot a courtesy phone call to again say "it's happening again." Also have either Marion or Lois thought about calling his mother to tell her that her son is alive and to say "Um, Mom, I have something to tell you when I get home so please don't freak out."
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
shadowlucario50

... bunny, and the gerbil, and the hamster, and the...

Post by shadowlucario50 »

While everyone's just theorizing about who Marion will see next, I'm mostly wondering where he's going to sleep while police investigate his recent transformation. The way I see it, he...

1) ...goes back to Jessica's tree to sleep. It is the closest place and would be safest there (even with Steward around). However, with police investigating him, Jessica might not want Marion to stay around during those investigations.
2) ...stays with Fido. After all, he's all heart, caring for animals and nursing them back to health, just like the pigeon he nursed back to health. And the rat, and the chipmunk, and the robin, and the squirrel, and the rabbit, and the finch, and the shrew, and the...
3) ...stays with Lois. They're boyfriend/girlfriend, and I feel Lois would do anything to make sure her boyfriend stays safe. Though her parents might get curious why she suddenly got a pet squirrel...
4) ...gets taken by Fox to King's home. From the perspective of Fox, King learned how to adjust to animal life, so he could help Marion adjust to animal life as well while the police are investigating the cause.
5) ...gets caught by a hawk and eaten. End of arc!
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote: I think that Zach would be even madder, since he really wants to let this whole thing go away. :D
Two thoughts occurred to me. One is that if Zach doesn't want to be the opener of ways, why not let Tiger do it? Tiger was/is a character that is there for a quick gag and that's sad because everyone loves Tiger in their own way. I think Tiger would do well with the attention and admiration of a cult of ferals plus Marvin can serve as his advisor and speaker. In his own special way, Tiger would be the perfect leader in his own particular way.

The other thought is that they have phones. So why hasn't anyone called anyone else yet? I feel like Fox should give a heads-up to King (also I think it would be funny) to tell him that "it's happening again." Or give Sabrina and Tarot a courtesy phone call to again say "it's happening again." Also have either Marion or Lois thought about calling his mother to tell her that her son is alive and to say "Um, Mom, I have something to tell you when I get home so please don't freak out."
I can only imagine the "ways" Tiger would "open" (shudder) ……..
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

Even though I doubt he'd stay with Fido, it would be good to hopefully see Spo again.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Sir Chestnut wrote:Even though I doubt he'd stay with Fido, it would be good to hopefully see Spo again.
…… and Terrance.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: The other thought is that they have phones. So why hasn't anyone called anyone else yet? I feel like Fox should give a heads-up to King (also I think it would be funny) to tell him that "it's happening again." Or give Sabrina and Tarot a courtesy phone call to again say "it's happening again." Also have either Marion or Lois thought about calling his mother to tell her that her son is alive and to say "Um, Mom, I have something to tell you when I get home so please don't freak out."
It's too soon for that. Lois cant be certain enough that the squirrel is Marion to tell his mother. I'm sure she at the least would want him to calm down first. Fox is only just finding out in this scene, and I dont think he'd wake up King. Fido may have known for a few minutes, but until Fox forces him to think about it a second, he thought it was just a story. Everyone has a lot to process before contacting anyone.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, Marion hasn't used his one phone call … although he hasn't been charged with anything, either.

So, are Fox and Fido going to take everyone down to the station? Good police work would assume they would also want to talk to the Treehouse gang which, ominously enough, might bring them in contact with our favorite badger (among others).
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

shadowlucario50 wrote:While everyone's just theorizing about who Marion will see next, I'm mostly wondering where he's going to sleep while police investigate his recent transformation. The way I see it, he...

1) ...goes back to Jessica's tree to sleep. It is the closest place and would be safest there (even with Steward around). However, with police investigating him, Jessica might not want Marion to stay around during those investigations.
2) ...stays with Fido. After all, he's all heart, caring for animals and nursing them back to health, just like the pigeon he nursed back to health. And the rat, and the chipmunk, and the robin, and the squirrel, and the rabbit, and the finch, and the shrew, and the...
3) ...stays with Lois. They're boyfriend/girlfriend, and I feel Lois would do anything to make sure her boyfriend stays safe. Though her parents might get curious why she suddenly got a pet squirrel...
4) ...gets taken by Fox to King's home. From the perspective of Fox, King learned how to adjust to animal life, so he could help Marion adjust to animal life as well while the police are investigating the cause.
5) ...gets caught by a hawk and eaten. End of arc!
If he had to go anywhere for the night it would have to be with Lois. I mean it's not like her parents need to know her boyfriend is sleeping over. ;)
NHWestoN wrote:Well, Marion hasn't used his one phone call … although he hasn't been charged with anything, either.

So, are Fox and Fido going to take everyone down to the station? Good police work would assume they would also want to talk to the Treehouse gang which, ominously enough, might bring them in contact with our favorite badger (among others).
I think good police work went out the window when Lois rode along. Now that Marion's transformation is out of the bag it's best to move forward and not worry about the others. In the report they can write that the squirrel didn't know anything and there was nothing left to investigate there.
dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: The other thought is that they have phones. So why hasn't anyone called anyone else yet? I feel like Fox should give a heads-up to King (also I think it would be funny) to tell him that "it's happening again." Or give Sabrina and Tarot a courtesy phone call to again say "it's happening again." Also have either Marion or Lois thought about calling his mother to tell her that her son is alive and to say "Um, Mom, I have something to tell you when I get home so please don't freak out."
It's too soon for that. Lois cant be certain enough that the squirrel is Marion to tell his mother. I'm sure she at the least would want him to calm down first. Fox is only just finding out in this scene, and I dont think he'd wake up King. Fido may have known for a few minutes, but until Fox forces him to think about it a second, he thought it was just a story. Everyone has a lot to process before contacting anyone.
I'm more thinking it could happen in the time span between strips. I could see this happening in a number of ways. The first strip of the next chapter would be a shot of the wolf house with a bubble with "Hello." followed by "NOOOOO!" Then we cut to Tarot's house with the same thing followed by "Sigh, bring them here." I'm sure the next strip will be Fox confirming Marion's story followed by an proclamation that we are moving the investigation to Tarot and Sabrina. That would be a good place to stop for the moment.
Mr. Whisper

Post by Mr. Whisper »

At this point, I would be very surprised if the next page doesn't end with Fox letting it slip that one of his best friends used to be human, and with Fido right there... Well, let's just say it's going to be a very interesting ride back to the police station/to Sabrina's or Tarot's house.

I suspect once Guest Week is over we'll launch into a mini arc that focuses on Fox and Fido (and maybe King) instead of more Marion and Lois.
Wikirojo

Post by Wikirojo »

Yeah, Fox really has a point. After all that's happened, a teenager magically becoming a squirrel would be completely normal to me :lol:
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Mr. Whisper wrote:At this point, I would be very surprised if the next page doesn't end with Fox letting it slip that one of his best friends used to be human, and with Fido right there... Well, let's just say it's going to be a very interesting ride back to the police station/to Sabrina's or Tarot's house.

I suspect once Guest Week is over we'll launch into a mini arc that focuses on Fox and Fido (and maybe King) instead of more Marion and Lois.
I kind of hope that we do. First off, it's a good way to launch into some other character backstories within the main arc (which Rick did a couple times with the Hot Springs story) and it would be nice to see more of Fox and Fido interact.

I'm really intersted in how Fido would take the revelation that there is a former human, of any type, among the dogs. Even if he's unaware that it was Joel. Did King stand out enough, especially early on, that he's easy to figure out?

What if Fox leaves it vague that one of his close friends was once human so Fido latches onto someone that seems slightly different than the other dogs... Mungo? 8-)
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote: Did King stand out enough, especially early on, that he's easy to figure out?
I think so ;)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
dr_eirik wrote: Did King stand out enough, especially early on, that he's easy to figure out?
I think so ;)
It's funny that, when she does find out later, she just rolls with it. I think that's Bailys superpower. No matter what the universe throws at her, its just something to deal with and move on. Her owner moves? Well, he sent me somewhere I could still have a roof over my head. My grumpy boyfriend wants to get married (even though that really is more a human thing...) then OK. My grumpy husband turns out to be a human wanted by the law and turned into a corgi by an all-powerful celestial being? OK, I still love the little lug...
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, there was that initial "You can wake me up" reaction, but she was still pretty quick to take it.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I think I know why Fido is being a 'bit grumpy' here.

Who is he with? His best friend. The one he could rely on all his life and support an... oh, wait. Fox DIDN'T, did he? He practically abandoned Fido after finding out about his relationship with Sabrina. From what she said to him, he held that grudge for quite some time after finding out. He, apparently, didn't talk with Fido for ages and, although they're seemingly back on speaking terms, they're still working on re-establishing their friendship. Fox has worked it through (he was first to break) but Fido's not there yet.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Good point, Welsh. I hope the two K-9s can work our their differences.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:Well, there was that initial "You can wake me up" reaction, but she was still pretty quick to take it.
I think that might have been a combination of the info-dump, the presence of a giant blue gryphon and Kings attempts to calm her down.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:I think I know why Fido is being a 'bit grumpy' here.

Who is he with? His best friend. The one he could rely on all his life and support an... oh, wait. Fox DIDN'T, did he? He practically abandoned Fido after finding out about his relationship with Sabrina. From what she said to him, he held that grudge for quite some time after finding out. He, apparently, didn't talk with Fido for ages and, although they're seemingly back on speaking terms, they're still working on re-establishing their friendship. Fox has worked it through (he was first to break) but Fido's not there yet.
This seems really likely. I never really thought about how Fido felt about how things happened. I kind of assumed that he rolled with things, but I never really thought that he might himself have felt abandoned by his best friend. If we see anything along these lines, I will have to wonder if this is something that Rick planned for eons ago. It is notable that the dog that Fox hangs out with much more seems to be Mungo. I assume he still hangs out with King since they live under that same roof from time to time.

It would actually be interesting to see a Fido-centric story about his relationship with the the neighborhood, really. When the strip was new, Fido was the dog that everyone loved. I'm sure that he's still respected, but I'm sure that he has had some hard times for the last few years.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Shifting to King for a second, I want to bring this up again. It's been mentioned a few times that King's involvement could come in the form of simply guiding Marion to the ECP in a less creepy way than Steward. Steward's problem was (among others) that Marion didn't know that he too was once human. But King might be more open about it since it's not a huge secret anymore (take that as you will) and Marion could find King more relatable. It's been said that King could be a advisor or guide to Marion as someone who has been through this before and I think that is true. King had divine intervention on his side but so far it seems Marion is on his own which actually might be for the best because it differentiates the two as well as gives King a new role in the comic. Again, Marion best option for normalcy is with the Milton's money and influence. If not it's either back to living with Jess or becoming Lois's pet, which is just a pitfall of problems. King has experience as someone who is apart of the ECP and knows how it can help someone like Marion. No offense to Tarot or Sabrina but I doubt either one will be too keene on reaching out to Keene for assistance in this matter given the history between the three. Side note: If marion's father is not in the picture, then King could serve as a surrogate father figure to Marion. Food for thought.

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Fox didn't abandon Fido. There wasn't anything he could do. (I love awkward that scene was. Ooh dramatic irony) Even later admitted that he was angry but didn't know how to deal with his emotions. But still went to Fido when Joel needed help. Fox was upset but I think finally did deal with it to an extent. But there are moments when it's awkward. And Fido doesn't make it easy for Fox either.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Fox didn't abandon Fido. There wasn't anything he could do. (I love awkward that scene was. Ooh dramatic irony) Even later admitted that he was angry but didn't know how to deal with his emotions. But still went to Fido when Joel needed help. Fox was upset but I think finally did deal with it to an extent. But there are moments when it's awkward. And Fido doesn't make it easy for Fox either.
I don't think that Fox stopped talking to Fido completely, but he didn't know how to handle interactions with him after the Sabrina revelation and distanced himself. He went to Fido for help, but only because he couldn't find Sabrina because she had been whisked away to Australia. He wasn't partnered with Fido, which seemed so likely that even Mungo commented on it. Granted, that was more likely a Ralph decision, but it had to be based on something.

I think that Welsh is likely right, that there is still some bad feelings there. They aren't completely apart and I suspect they are civil with each other, but they are not likely as good of friends as they were before. Given that Fox had to be forced to bring it up with Sabrina, I suspect he never talked with Fido about the issue. Guys are guys, no matter the species. 8-)

And I'm sure that the strip that drops at 10PM tonight local time will prove me wrong, but I'll go with that as my head canon for now. :-)

Edited to add:

A few minutes after posting this I went back and looked at the strips from the end of Jungle Fever. There is one:
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... certainly/
That really feels like it might just boomerang back on Fox. He didn't care as much about the cat/dog thing (though he was still set in his ways at the time) but more livid that Fido didn't trust him to tell him.

Now, it seems likely that's about to go the other way, with Fido maybe finding out that King was once human and possibly one he might have very bad feelings about. I do feel like it's a bit different, in that this was not a story for Fox to tell, but Fido might not take that the same way.
Last edited by dr_eirik on Tue Aug 13, 2019 6:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:

I don't think that Fox stopped talking to Fido completely, but he didn't know how to handle interactions with him after the Sabrina revelation and distanced himself. He went to Fido for help, but only because he couldn't find Sabrina because she had been whisked away to Australia. He wasn't partnered with Fido, which seemed so likely that even Mungo commented on it. Granted, that was more likely a Ralph decision, but it had to be based on something.

I think that Welsh is likely right, that there is still some bad feelings there. They aren't completely apart and I suspect they are civil with each other, but they are not likely as good of friends as they were before. Given that Fox had to be forced to bring it up with Sabrina, I suspect he never talked with Fido about the issue. Guys are guys, no matter the species. 8-)

And I'm sure that the strip that drops at 10PM tonight local time will prove me wrong, but I'll go with that as my head canon for now. :-)
Makes me wonder if a war is slowly brewing between the two and something will occur in either the next strip or so that will pretty much destroy their friendship and plunge themselves into a Civil War (the film) between each other....
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote: I don't think that Fox stopped talking to Fido completely, but he didn't know how to handle interactions with him after the Sabrina revelation and distanced himself. He went to Fido for help, but only because he couldn't find Sabrina because she had been whisked away to Australia. He wasn't partnered with Fido, which seemed so likely that even Mungo commented on it. Granted, that was more likely a Ralph decision, but it had to be based on something.

Well, honestly they were always supposed to be good friends but even long before Jungle Fever, how many times did they hang out together. It was always Fox and King. Their relationship essentially ended because they grew apart. Fido got a job with K-9's and started spending more time with them and Fox hung out with King. Once King was gone, Mungo took his place which to be honest felt like more of a Ralph decision. Even then by that point, they had grown apart. Fox hung out with Bino more than Fido up to a certain so what does that tell you?
dr_eirik wrote:Edited to add: A few minutes after posting this I went back and looked at the strips from the end of Jungle Fever. There is one:
https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... certainly/
That really feels like it might just boomerang back on Fox. He didn't care as much about the cat/dog thing (though he was still set in his ways at the time) but more livid that Fido didn't trust him to tell him.

Now, it seems likely that's about to go the other way, with Fido maybe finding out that King was once human and possibly one he might have very bad feelings about. I do feel like it's a bit different, in that this was not a story for Fox to tell, but Fido might not take that the same way.
Honestly, this arc would be a good chance to resolve some feelings but it still doesn't seem to be about them. They've been in this chapter three times now. So i'm not holding my breath that things will be resolved soon. I would love if they got into a bitter argument about who's been keeping what from whom.
Fido: Why didn't you tell me that King is really Joel Robinson? He kidnapped you remember?
Fox: You didn't tell me that you were dating Sabrina.
Fido: Oh, that again. When are you going to let that go?
Fox: You never apologized to me.
Fido: Who I date has nothing to do with you. If you were really my friend you would understand that.
Fox: If you were really my friend then you would have told me about Sabrina instead of letting me find out through the tv while you cause an international incident!
Fido: Oh here we go.
Lois: Boys, boys, boys, can we please put your lover's spat on hold for a second and get back to my boyfriend who is a squirrel.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Don't wanna be repetitive, but the backstory of Fox and Fido reconciling remains untold. Given his anguished interaction with Sabrina while trying to hide Sasha from the relentless Mungo, Fox seemed approaching readiness to do just that. (And Sabrina seemed mischievously ready to mediate....)

Maybe Rick will uncork that vintage later .....
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Honestly, this arc would be a good chance to resolve some feelings but it still doesn't seem to be about them. They've been in this chapter three times now. So i'm not holding my breath that things will be resolved soon. I would love if they got into a bitter argument about who's been keeping what from whom.
It depends a bit on how much we are reading between the lines, too. We don't know exactly where their relationship is at the moment, only that as of a few months ago Fox was still holding a bit of a grudge against Fido. Even if they are not really the focus of this arc, I could see this get revisited once their involvement is over in their own story.

fenrirblack wrote: Fido: Why didn't you tell me that King is really Joel Robinson? He kidnapped you remember?
Fox: You didn't tell me that you were dating Sabrina.
Fido: Oh, that again. When are you going to let that go?
Fox: You never apologized to me.
Fido: Who I date has nothing to do with you. If you were really my friend you would understand that.
Fox: If you were really my friend then you would have told me about Sabrina instead of letting me find out through the tv while you cause an international incident!
Fido: Oh here we go.
Lois: Boys, boys, boys, can we please put your lover's spat on hold for a second and get back to my boyfriend who is a squirrel.
Marion: (Who has someone squired popcorn and in the process of putting a piece the size of his hand in his mouth) No, no, let them keep at it! This is the first interesting thing that's happened all day that doesn't have to do with me being a rodent!
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Douglas Collier wrote:Payoff.
Word up! This strip really eases the tension of previous pages.
Frank wrote:*fox appears*
And the crowd goes wild!
Wild?
As in feral animals?
Is someone using the cursed coin on the crowd?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: Honestly, this arc would be a good chance to resolve some feelings but it still doesn't seem to be about them. They've been in this chapter three times now. So i'm not holding my breath that things will be resolved soon. I would love if they got into a bitter argument about who's been keeping what from whom.
It depends a bit on how much we are reading between the lines, too. We don't know exactly where their relationship is at the moment, only that as of a few months ago Fox was still holding a bit of a grudge against Fido. Even if they are not really the focus of this arc, I could see this get revisited once their involvement is over in their own story.
Fido is an interesting character. He has always been an enigma of sorts. He was the main character in one chapter. One. Two if you count his introduction. He's been in others like the Aztec Gold and Jungle Fever but those were co-staring roles. Despite that he has always had so much potential to be more for the story but never was given the spot light. His introduction painted him as this larger than life character who is this driving force for the neighborhood but since then was pushed farther and farther to the background to just him appearing at all is a rare treat. It was actually refreshing to have him in the hot spring with the others while Max told them about his backstory.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

The true scope of his power and influence over the dogs of the neighbourhood may never be fully known!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

fenrirblack wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:
Fido is an interesting character. He has always been an enigma of sorts. He was the main character in one chapter. One. Two if you count his introduction. He's been in others like the Aztec Gold and Jungle Fever but those were co-staring roles. Despite that he has always had so much potential to be more for the story but never was given the spot light. His introduction painted him as this larger than life character who is this driving force for the neighborhood but since then was pushed farther and farther to the background to just him appearing at all is a rare treat. It was actually refreshing to have him in the hot spring with the others while Max told them about his backstory.
This is what happens when new characters are introduced at a rapid pace. :P

He'll get more development eventually I'm sure!
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

dr_eirik wrote:Now, it seems likely that's about to go the other way, with Fido maybe finding out that King was once human and possibly one he might have very bad feelings about. I do feel like it's a bit different, in that this was not a story for Fox to tell, but Fido might not take that the same way.
um... Fox can actually dodge that one pretty easily; like you said it's not his secret to tell, it's King's. that changes it from a case of keeping things from Fido, to not betraying King's trust. Fido's smart enough to get that.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Buster wrote:
dr_eirik wrote:Now, it seems likely that's about to go the other way, with Fido maybe finding out that King was once human and possibly one he might have very bad feelings about. I do feel like it's a bit different, in that this was not a story for Fox to tell, but Fido might not take that the same way.
um... Fox can actually dodge that one pretty easily; like you said it's not his secret to tell, it's King's. that changes it from a case of keeping things from Fido, to not betraying King's trust. Fido's smart enough to get that.
You're right, and I've pointed that out before, but that may not matter in the moment. Fox can easily dodge the question almost completely, he can just say he knows someone who was changed. But if it comes out that King is Joel, I could see Fido being very upset that he wasn't trusted with knowing the man that kidnapped his best freind was living in the neighborhood , albeit as a dog.

I could also see a path where he decides in a single page that if Fox, of all dogs, trusts King then that might be good enough for him. That might, in a strange way, tick off Fox again. Sort of a "Why aren't you ticked off at me?!"
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

fenrirblack wrote:No offense to Tarot or Sabrina but I doubt either one will be too keene on reaching out to Keene for assistance in this matter given the history between the three
Keene defying Tarot wouldn't be an issue in the slightest with Tarot and Sabrina taking Marion to the ECP because Keene doesn't run that anymore. They would be taking Marion to Lana, and there's no bad blood between them (that we know of).
fenrirblack wrote:

Whoa, whoa, whoa, Fox didn't abandon Fido. There wasn't anything he could do. (I love awkward that scene was. Ooh dramatic irony)
Just because voting couldn't have saved Fido's seat on the council doesn't mean there wasn't anything he could do. Fox could've voted for Fido as a show of solidarity that even if others turn against him, Fido will still have Fox to support him. But really, what did you expect from the character? Back then Fox believed dogs and cats should not have romantic feelings for each other more deeply than anyone else in the cast, even Bino.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:No offense to Tarot or Sabrina but I doubt either one will be too keene on reaching out to Keene for assistance in this matter given the history between the three
Keene defying Tarot wouldn't be an issue in the slightest with Tarot and Sabrina taking Marion to the ECP because Keene doesn't run that anymore. They would be taking Marion to Lana, and there's no bad blood between them (that we know of).
I know but it's not the same. Going to Lana is like is like who cares, she's no fun. But going to Keene and having him involved raises the fun to 11.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah the fun for Keene also as I do think he enjoys defying authority and trying to get things his own way and in this case, that will lead to more headaches for not just Tarot and Sabrina, but for Marion and Lois as well.