2019/08/05 - Pulling My Tail

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/08/05 - Pulling My Tail

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/08/05 - Pulling My Tail]
Title Text: And I've seen a LOT of sandwiches, so that thing better have, like three kinds of mustard

After all, anything can be bought or sold with the right meal.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/08/05 - Pulling My Tail

Post by Saturn381 »

Where's Lois going to find a sandwich like that?
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

Okay good, it’s Lois. Now hopefully he can convince her he is who he says he is.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Jess sure love'em sandwiches
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Lois, what a surprise (not really) Well, that was obvious from the start it was going to be her.

I honestly had more faith in Jess. To think she could be bribed so easily but it’s not like it’s the first time she worked for a sandwich. I wonder if that’s a possum thing or if Lois and Jess have history.

Marion, you some s’plaining to do. I hope after twelve to fourteen hours you’ve come up with a reasonable explanation.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Shes got her boyfriend by the tail now! So now, he bites her involuntary and she tosses him into River Ridge and they spend another week getting back together...

It's not that I didn't think Jessica had a price, I just would have hoped it would be higher. But I've said shes the most relentlessly practical character, and food now is better than sticking your neck out for someone you dont know.

I really like these rare strips that show the size difference between animals and humans. It's easy to forget that Jessica is about knee high to an adult Male.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

At this point, this is probably the best possible outcome. Assuming Marion can convince Lois of his identity (who wants to bet it will involve telling a really embarrassing secret known only to the two of them), he's probably safer with her than he is anywhere else.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

A tail-hanger moment! Can't be good for Marion's bottom.

It seems even our good Jess has her price,
doing delicious deals if one asks nice.
Of course it helps to know her vice, which
evidently is a big club sandwich.
Stack it sky high with meat and sauce and green,
make it the biggest that’s ever been seen;
make it give a smile to the usually glum
as she shares it all out with Tiny Tum.
Now ask your questions big Lois,
although it’s clear what you want to know is
what happened to your closest of friends
and why it’s on this Squirrel he depends.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:Lois, what a surprise (not really) Well, that was obvious from the start it was going to be her.

I honestly had more faith in Jess. To think she could be bribed so easily but it’s not like it’s the first time she worked for a sandwich. I wonder if that’s a possum thing or if Lois and Jess have history.

Marion, you some s’plaining to do. I hope after twelve to fourteen hours you’ve come up with a reasonable explanation.
I hadn't considered that Lois and Jessica might have crossed paths. It would make a touch more sense. I just suspect if this had been Truck or Ink, she'd have kept her muzzle shut.

And what explanation could he have come up with? He knows exactly as much stareing at Lois as he did the moment he woke up. He might be able to enunciate it better now. I'm guessing we will be tossing more characters at this story by the end of the week.

Oh, and nice to see that Lois came prepared. That's not a cold weather glove, that's a work glove.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Saturn381 wrote:Where's Lois going to find a sandwich like that?
A party sub should do the trick. Jessica sure does love sandwiches but hey given what she usually eats it ain't hard to see why.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Now that the two stories lines have come together it's time for a update. Looking at this I was partly right about some things.

Theories
Is Steward A Villain: YES.

Steward's Goal: Revenge or Regaining his Old Life

Did He Change Marion: No

Does He Know Marion’s True Identity: Maybe. Marion was not subtle during his shouting fit.

Who Changed Marion: Dino-Demon or another new supernatural character that has not been introduced.

Will Marion Return Home: Yes. Soon if Lois has anything to say about it.

The Marion & Lois Part
Reunited, Marion explains to Lois what happened to him. Lois doesn't believe him at first but Fox intervenes. They all go to Tarot and Sabrina for help.
A. Tarot, having no idea what to do, goes to King and Kitsune for advice.
B. Tarot explains the game and the past magical happenings much to the surprise of Lois and Marion. She warns of a sinister presence lurking in Babylon Gardens.

Lois and Marion explains to his parents what happened to him and together come up with a way for Marion to regain some normalcy while still being a squirrel.

The Steward Part
Marion's tantrum has convinced Steward that Marion is like him and will now use Marion to his advantage by getting him to join the ECP and get back into the Milton's good graces:
A. He lost his job and his life and the Miltons are the best chance at regaining some type of normalcy like being rehired or finding a new job.
B. Steward wants to get back in the Milton's good graces so he can get something from them like a method of returning too human.

Steward is going to discover that Marion was once human and gets the idea in his head to use the coin to turn other humans into animals (again the coin DOES have to be used eventually) so they will follow the same logic of Marion and see the ECP as their best chance at retaining normalcy.

Lois tracks down Marion. Steward, spying from the shadows, sees this as an opportunity to blackmail Marion with the coin but threatening him to do what he says and join the ECP/any other task he needs or he'll use it on Lois and whoever else he has too. Steward and the coin is "accidentally" used on Lois who becomes *insert animal here*
dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Lois, what a surprise (not really) Well, that was obvious from the start it was going to be her.

And what explanation could he have come up with? He knows exactly as much stareing at Lois as he did the moment he woke up. He might be able to enunciate it better now. I'm guessing we will be tossing more characters at this story by the end of the week.
At this point I'm hoping more than "Okay, I can't explain but—" or "I just—well see there's this—I woke up and—". Complete sentences would be a good place to start. Followed by a little begging.
Marion: "Lois, please, you have to believe me. I am Marion. This isn't a prank. I really did wake up as a squirrel. I've had a really long day and I just want things to go back to normal and go to school tomorrow and take that exam. And wow I really am desperate."

To be honest I would love it if Lois did know it was him.
Marion: Please Lois, it's really me, Marion. I don't know why I'm a squirrel other than I just woke up like this.
Lois: I know it's you Marion.
Marion: But you have to understand that—wait, you believe me.
Lois: The husky explained a few things on our way here after I showed him the texts you sent. Apparently this is not the first time something like this has happened.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Fox? Fido? You guys in on this collar?
shadowlucario50

Guess You Can Call It... A Butt Pull

Post by shadowlucario50 »

Now the thing is, what will Lois do next now that Marion has been caught? The obvious is that the K9 will question Marion, but who knows if Lois will run with Marion in tow or just go along with them.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Marion: "Lois, please, you have to believe me. I am Marion. This isn't a prank. I really did wake up as a squirrel. I've had a really long day and I just want things to go back to normal and go to school tomorrow and take that exam. And wow I really am desperate."

To be honest I would love it if Lois did know it was him.
Marion: Please Lois, it's really me, Marion. I don't know why I'm a squirrel other than I just woke up like this.
Lois: I know it's you Marion.
Marion: But you have to understand that—wait, you believe me.
Lois: The husky explained a few things on our way here after I showed him the texts you sent. Apparently this is not the first time something like this has happened.
Lois: Besides, we could hear the raccoons and that possum shouting your name. And your little freakout sounded like you.
Marion: <stares for a moment, then cranes his neck> If you knew it was me, what's with the glove?
Lois: I already had it. Besides, you've always startled easy. Remember that time you threw popcorn all over me at the movies?
Marion: It was a scary part!
Lois: It was Sharknado....
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

One thing I like about Lois is that she’s serious and doesn’t mess around. I mean she didn’t wait for Marion’s parents to go to the police, she went herself. She lied to get them to take Marion’s vanishing seriously and tagged along despite it not being protocol. She didn’t even play with Jess or argue, just went straight to bribery. The glove was a nice touch because it shows she’s well prepared and thinks things through. Marion found himself a good one. Just looking at her expressions in both panels, that is someone who gets things done and has no time for anyone’s carp. It is a striking contrast to the rest of the cast who are constantly messing around and getting into crazy shenanigans. If she was in any of the other past arcs, they would be ten times shorter.

Let’s look back at the most recent arcs.
The camping trip.
Lois: I read online that there is a cougar living in this area so we should find someplace else to camp.
Miles: Oh, your referring to Gale. We haven’t talked in years after the unfortunate way we parted ways.
Lois: All the more reason to go someplace else. If you have history then she’ll be threatened by your return. Besides I already convinced you cubs about the importance of education so this entire excursion will be a waste of time.

The video store
Lois: this video store is clearly haunted so we’re leaving. Plus I have Netflix and Hulu so we don’t even need to rent a video.

The hot spring arc
Lois and the K-9 walks in.
Fido: Let’s split up and search
Lois: I already found him and got him to agree to pay whatever fines your sergeant wants in exchange for leaving the spa here until spring.

Temple Crashers
Lois: so since you can be anything you want just by writing it on this paper bag, I choose supreme goddess. With a snap of my fingers I teleport us to the mana well. Max reads the scroll and Keene appears. Oh no, he is going to use the mana to create chaos. Oh no you don’t. *SNAP* I have teleported us all back to the surface while simultaneously sealing the temple forever so no one can enter it again.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:One thing I like about Lois is that she’s serious and doesn’t mess around. I mean she didn’t wait for Marion’s parents to go to the police, she went herself. She lied to get them to take Marion’s vanishing seriously and tagged along despite it not being protocol. She didn’t even play with Jess or argue, just went straight to bribery. The glove was a nice touch because it shows she’s well prepared and thinks things through. Marion found himself a good one. Just looking at her expressions in both panels, that is someone who gets things done and has no time for anyone’s carp. It is a striking contrast to the rest of the cast who are constantly messing around and getting into crazy shenanigans. If she was in any of the other past arcs, they would be ten times shorter.

Let’s look back at the most recent arcs.
The camping trip.
Lois: I read online that there is a cougar living in this area so we should find someplace else to camp.
Miles: Oh, your referring to Gale. We haven’t talked in years after the unfortunate way we parted ways.
Lois: All the more reason to go someplace else. If you have history then she’ll be threatened by your return. Besides I already convinced you cubs about the importance of education so this entire excursion will be a waste of time.

The video store
Lois: this video store is clearly haunted so we’re leaving. Plus I have Netflix and Hulu so we don’t even need to rent a video.

The hot spring arc
Lois and the K-9 walks in.
Fido: Let’s split up and search
Lois: I already found him and got him to agree to pay whatever fines your sergeant wants in exchange for leaving the spa here until spring.
All of which is why we won't see that much of her outside the Marion plot.

The shenanigans are what we're here for, not the logics.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

Why do I have this nagging feeling Steward is gonna sneak up on her and turn her into an animal?
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Okay... Flat-out, this page is AWESOME!!!
Argent

Post by Argent »

fenrirblack wrote:Marion, you some s’plaining to do. I hope after twelve to fourteen hours you’ve come up with a reasonable explanation.
I hope he doesn't, the truth is strange enough. Imagine what squirrel-brain would come up with?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Get her a big old Dagwood sandwich and it will be fine. Not much bigger than that really. Well at least that is reasonable to make anyway.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

bjchan95 wrote:Why do I have this nagging feeling Steward is gonna sneak up on her and turn her into an animal?
I don't think so as I'm still holding to the theory that Steward isn't the cause behind this.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

How did Lois find Marion? Was she tagging along with the K9s off-panel, or has her own investigation brought her here? I think it's the latter, which may mean she's already asked around. Either way it's good she's here.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

I think it's probably going to be pretty easy for him to prove who he is. I mean, he'll know things only he could know.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

SeanWolf wrote:
bjchan95 wrote:Why do I have this nagging feeling Steward is gonna sneak up on her and turn her into an animal?
I don't think so as I'm still holding to the theory that Steward isn't the cause behind this.
I agree, although I think Badger's going to reappear and contribute to the solution of this arc. I'm also intrigued by the "narrative missing link" here - how did Lois and Jessica become co-conspirators? And where are the DDD - "Daring Doggie Duo" (Fox and Fido)? For that matter, how DID those two reconcile? Sooooo many questions!
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Hmm, next comic I bet we’re going to learn if transformed animals’ voices change. If Lois recognizes Marion’s voice, we can assume it didn’t change; if she can’t, it can be assumed that it did change. It would be interesting if Marion thought he sounded the same but didn’t.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Remember, Marion sent her the picture. She probably recognized it, and especially the bracelet/necklace.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote: I really like these rare strips that show the size difference between animals and humans. It's easy to forget that Jessica is about knee high to an adult Male.
Kind of makes you realize how short King and Tarot are since Jessica's a bit taller than both of them. Although, I don't think Tarot has even been together with Jessica.
Douglas Collier wrote:Hmm, next comic I bet we’re going to learn if transformed animals’ voices change. If Lois recognizes Marion’s voice, we can assume it didn’t change; if she can’t, it can be assumed that it did change. It would be interesting if Marion thought he sounded the same but didn’t.
I always wondered that about Joel/King. I figured Fox would have recognized his voice when they first met if it didn't change. But, it doesn't appear like it changed back when he became human again since Fox still recognized his voice during Coming In The Back Way & That One Scene . Although it might be implied when King said "funny you should mention my appearance" as if the other half would be "and not my voice?".
Last edited by Sir Chestnut on Mon Aug 05, 2019 9:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Oh THANK GOD! I was worried that this arc was gonna continue to drag out. I did not want it to do that. That would have been bad. I am now ready for the next part. :)
Argent

Post by Argent »

Sir Chestnut wrote:I always wondered that about Joel/King. I figured Fox would have recognized his voice when they first met if it didn't change. But, it doesn't appear like it changed back when he became human again since Fox still recognized his voice during Coming In The Back Way & That One Scene . Although it might be implied when King said "funny you should mention my appearance" as if the other half would be "and not my voice?".
Dogs have pretty deep voices when they're "talking" as opposed to barking. We've got a dog with a pretty sharp bark, but when she's making attention-getting sounds she uses a much lower register. So the whole "squeaky voice" thing probably wouldn't apply.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
I always wondered that about Joel/King. I figured Fox would have recognized his voice when they first met if it didn't change. But, it doesn't appear like it changed back when he became human again since Fox still recognized his voice during Coming In The Back Way & That One Scene . Although it might be implied when King said "funny you should mention my appearance" as if the other half would be "and not my voice?".
I suspect you're right, since Joel spoke rather memorably to a bunch of characters when he was arrested, including Officer Lungberg, Fido, Kevin, Terrance and Spo. These are all characters he's interacted with to various degrees since he became King, especially Lungberg. If his voice was unchanged, I suspect that someone would have mentioned it. Frankly, most likely Spo. ;)

As for that moment when Fox walked in, Joel was heavily concealed under a blanket. I've assumed is voice was muffled.
I just don't think that's going to happen at this point. I'm still not sold on that it's going to happen at all. I think it's going to be threatened, so Marion will do something for Steward. I don't think it's going to happen before the K9s hustle them off to either Tarots, Sabrinas, Kings or the Police Station (Animal Control?). And just how is Fido going to write this up in a report? "Found material witness, one female squirrel. Discovered she was actually Marion Ward, formerly human male, age 17..."

I suspect we are going to get some partial resolution coming up. We may not learn anything about what happened to Marion but we will find him in a place where he can at least stop running and start to piece his life back together.

I have the feeling that, as the four of them leave the clearing, we're going to see a slightly ticked off badger poke his head out of the tunnel and watch them leave...
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Well, Lois and Marion are together and hopefully this marks change of fortune for the squirrel. I don’t know if Lois will be transformed, but I do think that Steward will either threaten to transform Lois to get Marion to do his bidding or, if he does transform Lois, he might try and use her promising to change her and Marion back to being human, even if he didn’t convert Marion himself.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

So Marion was encouraged to go down the tunnel and spend alone time with Karishad, but soon after that Lois reached an extrication agreement with Jessica and no one shouted down to Marion to come back?
Gbr23 wrote:Jess sure love'em sandwiches
Who wouldn't love the sandwiches?
Sandwiches.png
Sandwiches.png (230.14 KiB) Viewed 12630 times
Welsh Halfwit wrote:A tail-hanger moment! Can't be good for Marion's bottom.
This isn't the first time a rodent was picked up by his tail. I can't imagine the tail is designed to support their body weight.
fenrirblack wrote:The Marion & Lois Part
Reunited, Marion explains to Lois what happened to him. Lois doesn't believe him at first but Fox intervenes. They all go to Tarot and Sabrina for help.
Going up the chain of command would get the problem dealt with, but how can the characters be sure they're not overreacting? Additionally, Both Fox and Tarot have a history of trying to solve things by themselves and King has made it clear he wants no part of anything supernatural.
fenrirblack wrote:(again the coin DOES have to be used eventually)
Why do you keep mindlessly repeating that?
fenrirblack wrote:It is a striking contrast to the rest of the cast who are constantly messing around and getting into crazy shenanigans. If [Lois] was in any of the other past arcs, they would be ten times shorter.
We have Grape for that.
The cape comes with the promotion.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:One thing I like about Lois is that she’s serious and doesn’t mess around. I mean she didn’t wait for Marion’s parents to go to the police, she went herself. She lied to get them to take Marion’s vanishing seriously and tagged along despite it not being protocol. She didn’t even play with Jess or argue, just went straight to bribery. The glove was a nice touch because it shows she’s well prepared and thinks things through. Marion found himself a good one. Just looking at her expressions in both panels, that is someone who gets things done and has no time for anyone’s carp. It is a striking contrast to the rest of the cast who are constantly messing around and getting into crazy shenanigans. If she was in any of the other past arcs, they would be ten times shorter.
Which, as has been noted, is a good enough reason for Lois not to be a main character in the strip going forward. :D

Seems like she needs to get together with Cara Ataksak of "The Whiteboard" at the next All-Comic Picnic. Cara, a reletivly new character, is filling in a similar role. Unless she has a thing about hanging out with polar bears. Cara could even introduce Fox to Miki...
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:So Marion was encouraged to go down the tunnel and spend alone time with Karishad, but soon after that Lois reached an extrication agreement with Jessica and no one shouted down to Marion to come back?
Ink: Do you think we should call Marion and Karishad back?
Jess: Ehh, they'll figure it out.
Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:The Marion & Lois Part
Going up the chain of command would get the problem dealt with, but how can the characters be sure they're not overreacting? Additionally, Both Fox and Tarot have a history of trying to solve things by themselves and King has made it clear he wants no part of anything supernatural.
King is a victim of circumstance. His only involvement would be to lead them to the statue again and then leave. Maybe pat Marion on the shoulder and give him a look of pity. Despite Fox's history, when it comes to the supernatural he is no fool so he won't try to solve this by himself but Tarot might attempt a few things to Marion's and Lois's disapproval. She might be avoidant of Kitsune do to their last encounter so she might be resistant to seeking his help.
dr_eirik wrote:
Sir Chestnut wrote:
I suspect you're right, since Joel spoke rather memorably to a bunch of characters when he was arrested, including Officer Lungberg, Fido, Kevin, Terrance and Spo. These are all characters he's interacted with to various degrees since he became King, especially Lungberg. If his voice was unchanged, I suspect that someone would have mentioned it. Frankly, most likely Spo. ;)

As for that moment when Fox walked in, Joel was heavily concealed under a blanket. I've assumed is voice was muffled.
If we've learned anything these last few months is that people/animals are reluctant to believe that magic is possible so King's voice was the same because no one would think that it was Joel because it simply wouldn't be possible. Even if Fox or the others remembered what Joel sounded like the fact that it was the same voice as this corgi is sheer coincidence and not worth mentioning because the idea would be too crazy.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Aug 05, 2019 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Champion Wallace wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:(again the coin DOES have to be used eventually)
Why do you keep mindlessly repeating that?
I believe that this relates back to a literary theory called Chekhov's Gun. Basically, if you introduce a gun in the first act, it must be used by the final one. The coin has come up ominously twice now, once when Steward was first allowed into the tree house and he's staring at his reflection in it, and very recently when he's casually flipping it in the air after meeting Marion. If Rick didn't have plans for it, it's hard to see why he'd remind us of it.

Now, using the coin doesn't mean it gets used to transform someone, anymore than Chekhov's Gun needs to be used to shoot someone. Its just as likely that it will be used as a threat.

And you have no idea how much I wanted to just call this Chekhov's Phaser....
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

fenrirblack wrote: King is a victim of circumstance. His only involvement would be to lead them to the statue again and then leave. Maybe pat Marion on the shoulder and give him a look of pity. Despite Fox's history, when it comes to the supernatural he is no fool so he won't try to solve this by himself but Tarot might attempt a few things to Marion's and Lois's disapproval. She might be avoidant of Kitsune do to their last encounter so she might be resistant to seeking his help.
I don't see King getting involved much either unless something happens that forces him to. Other than being able to empathize with Marion there's really not much he can offer that Tarot and Sabrina can't. Additionally, by the time they get to his house to see Kitsune he might not even be home since he could have a job by now or be job hunting. (which I hope is an upcoming arc)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Sir Chestnut wrote:
I don't see King getting involved much either unless something happens that forces him to. Other than being able to empathize with Marion there's really not much he can offer that Tarot and Sabrina can't. Additionally, by the time they get to his house to see Kitsune he might not even be home since he could have a job by now or be job hunting.
I could see him getting involved as far as a sounding board and a source of practical advice for Marion, but beyond that he never really had any ability or knowledge. I wondered a while back if this might be a way to have King be some kind of councilor for the ECP. He is, in a way, uniquely qualified to help animals make the transition to society.

Though, I have to wonder what Marion might think when he learns that King had a chance to be human again, and didn't take it. (I know it was a "surprise" but really, would Kitsune have left him a Corgi if he didn't really want it?)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Sir Chestnut wrote: I don't see King getting involved much either unless something happens that forces him to. Other than being able to empathize with Marion there's really not much he can offer that Tarot and Sabrina can't. Additionally, by the time they get to his house to see Kitsune he might not even be home since he could have a job by now or be job hunting.
Considering it's almost midnight I don't think his job or lack thereof is going to be a factor unless he got the graveyard shift which would be silly considering he has a family and he's never struck me as a night owl. Anyway, he has to answer to the door because he has to do the human thing around there. Plus it would be so funny to see his reaction to all of them standing on the doorstep and King being like "No, no, no, not this time." Then slam the door.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I love the expressions in this strip. Marion in the first and second panels, and Lois in the third panel are great. If/when Lois gets squirrelified, then the seemingly pragmatic problem-solving and negotiating approach that she has would probably make her a good friend of Jess'.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Oh THANK GOD! I was worried that this arc was gonna continue to drag out. I did not want it to do that. That would have been bad. I am now ready for the next part. :)
Agreed x1000. You have no idea how relieved I am to see that that's Lois. Here's hoping the K-9's are still right outside so hopefully there won't be any interlopers badgering them on the way to wherever they need to go.
dr_eirik wrote:Lois: Besides, we could hear the raccoons and that possum shouting your name. And your little freakout sounded like you.
Marion: <stares for a moment, then cranes his neck> If you knew it was me, what's with the glove?
Lois: I already had it. Besides, you've always startled easy. Remember that time you threw popcorn all over me at the movies?
Marion: It was a scary part!
Lois: It was Sharknado....
That would be awesome, but it seems that Lois is still referring to Marion as "her". Jess didn't even correct Lois to tell her to refer to Marion with he/him pronouns. That might be what happens next, or Jess says "Take real good care of Marion", and Lois tries to "correct" her on who Marion really is, with Marion chiming in as well saying that it actually is him. Lois won't believe him. Marion could point out that Lois' matching bracelet (which is conveniently on her left wrist, which isn't covered by a glove), and tell her details about the day they made those bracelets to really convince her it's him:

Lois: Yeah, right. Like heck you're Marion. If this is all a prank, he's going real far with it...
Marion: [Pointing to Lois' bracelet.] In 8th Grade we took that art class together. While we were making our bracelets in class, our teacher Mr. Rosenblatt accidentally knocked over the shelf with all the paint on it. It took nearly a month for it all to wash off of the floor, our shoes... almost everything, really. That was back when you were huge into anime; I remember you were absolutely ticked that your favorite Naruto shirt got ruined.
Lois: [She starts remembering that day too and joins in on the conversation, humorously not yet realizing what it means that the squirrel knows about this.] It was the one with Sasuke doing that pose and the stupid edgy text on it. I can't believe I was such a huge dork back the- [She then realizes that it's him and is visibly shocked, bringing the squirrel up to her face which has a visibly shocked expression on it.] Holy crap, MARION?!?
Marion: [With his arms folded and a slightly smug look on his face] So do you finally believe me, or do you want me to go on about the saucy fanfic blog you ran as well?

Then from there, a very curious and concerned Fox & Fido may make the decision to either 1) Take Marion back to the station for questioning, and then getting their supernatural experts involved, or 2) Go directly to the house of their preferred supernatural expert. The K-9's allow Lois to tag along in either of these scenarios because after that revelation, they know there's no way she'd leave that squirrel alone with them.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

dr_eirik wrote: I could see him getting involved as far as a sounding board and a source of practical advice for Marion, but beyond that he never really had any ability or knowledge. I wondered a while back if this might be a way to have King be some kind of councilor for the ECP. He is, in a way, uniquely qualified to help animals make the transition to society.

That would be an interesting direction to go as it would also set up a possibility for King to interact with Steward, possibly as his new nemesis.