2019/07/19 - Self Incrimination

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/07/19 - Self Incrimination

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/07/19 - Self Incrimination]
Title Text: careful Fido, you're turning into a copy of mister grumpymuzzle

Fido may not be the best with children, but I've gotta say, powerful is the one who knows how to manipulate the system, Lois.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2019/07/19 - Self Incrimination

Post by Gbr23 »

Fido and Fox working together on this case? YES PLEASE
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Everyone relax, your Fox is here,
and he’s brought ol’ Fido with him;
Lois is lucky to have such guys,
even if Fidos’ being quite prim.
Fox, it seems, is down with the kids
in a way his friend is lacking.
Now Lois can tell everyone
about the Squirrel that she’s tracking.
She’ll want to avoid the Human part
as they don’t need to know it
but the Squirrel is the best way to him
if the guys here don’t blow it...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Come on Fido you are better than this. Good thing Fox is there to keep him from being overly strict. In Lois' position I would want to do the same thing when I found him.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

FOX!! Is the case. Fox and Fido. The buddy cop drama the world has been asking for. 8-)

I love Lois for watching too many cop shows. She is everything I wanted her to be and kinda what I hoped she would be.

Fido really, don't you know not to mess with teenagers during finals? Remember your days at the academy?

Detective Lois is on the case. If they even think about doing this without her, they in for a serious disappointment.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Well, there is no way this little group will accomplish anything! What do Fox and Fido know about magic(k), spontaneous transformation, etc?

I just mentioned in another thread that we really hadn't seen Fido and Fox together despite them being friends. Looks like they are partners now.

It really feels like the plot is kicking into high gear.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Lois indeed has a corresponding bracelet and she is filling the missing person report instead of his mom because of the 24 hour myth that she's willing to buck. Anyone else getting flashbacks to Terrances proper introduction with the first panels?
Title Text: careful Fido, you're turning into a copy of mister grumpymuzzle
For anyone who forgot, this is where mister grumpymuzzle came from. Image
The cape comes with the promotion.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Fido and Fox working together? Nice.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Buddy cop drama, yes please!
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I like your style, Rick. Fido and Fox open up the possibility of King and/or Sabrina and Tarot becoming involved, but we can also see if the two dogs have resolved their differences.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Theories
Is Steward A Villain: YES.

Steward's Goal: Revenge or Regaining his Old Life

Did He Change Marion: No

Does He Know Marion’s True Identity: Maybe. Marion was not subtle during his shouting fit.

Who Changed Marion: Dino-Demon or another new supernatural character that has not been introduced.

Will Marion Return Home: Yes. Soon if Lois has anything to say about it.

The Marion Part
As a fellow therian, Steward is going to convince Marion to talk to the Miltons'. Marion sees this as his best option to return to his human life so he joins Steward. With the ECP the Miltons' can not only help him graduate but even help him get into college or find a job.

Marion's tantrum has convinced Steward that Marion is like him and will now use Marion to his advantage by getting him to join the ECP and get back into the Milton's good graces:
A. He lost his job and his life and the Miltons are the best chance at regaining some type of normalcy like being rehired or finding a new job.
B. Steward wants to get back in the Milton's good graces so he can get something from them like a method of returning too human.

Steward is going to discover that Marion was once human and gets the idea in his head to use the coin to turn other humans into animals (again the coin DOES have to be used eventually) so they will follow the same logic of Marion and see the ECP as their best chance at retaining normalcy.

The Lois Part
Lois explains the texts to Fox and Fido who both know enough about magic to lead her to Tarot and Sabrina. And then King and Kitsune. They explain the Game and the magical happenings in Babylon Gardens to her. She is skeptical but eventually gives in and believes them.

Lois and team tracks down Marion and Steward. Steward sees this as an opportunity to blackmail Marion with the coin but threatening him to do what he says and join the ECP/any other task he needs. The coin is used on Lois to show that Steward means business and Lois becomes *insert animal here* (I'm guessing Lioness)
Champion Wallace wrote:Lois indeed has a corresponding bracelet and she is filling the missing person report instead of his mom because of the 24 hour myth that she's willing to buck. Anyone else getting flashbacks to Terrances proper introduction with the first panels?
I knew we've seen that somewhere before.
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Did I knew I wanted Fido and Fox teaming up? No
Am I glad I still got it? You can believe it :mrgreen:
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote: Lois explains the texts to Fox and Fido who both know enough about magic to lead her to Tarot and Sabrina. And then King and Kitsune.
If this happens I really hope we get a "What? You KNOW?" panel with the two of them looking at each other.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Not the most pressing matter at the moment, but I hope Rick gives some explanation for where Spo has disappeared to. It’s weird not seeing that mouse on Fido’s head as of late. Glad Marion is gonna likely meet some of the police dogs that actually would be able to help him in some way with the transformation thing. Let’s hope they remember to hold back instincts unlike Kevin did
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

fenrirblack wrote:FOX!! Is the case. Fox and Fido. The buddy cop drama the world has been asking for.
I wasn't asking for this. But I am also not complaining.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

trekkie wrote:I like your style, Rick. Fido and Fox open up the possibility of King and/or Sabrina and Tarot becoming involved, but we can also see if the two dogs have resolved their differences.
It really opens the story wide. Unless Fido and Fox are really at odds, there are about 50 ways for them to connect the dots. I suspect they will find a certain female grey squirrel before dawn. Who else gets drawn in? Between these two they connect to every character who can help.

Oh, and poor Terrance. He trekked all the way to the studio, got into his gear, and only had a walk on cameo. Poor pooch hasn't acted in years....
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: Lois explains the texts to Fox and Fido who both know enough about magic to lead her to Tarot and Sabrina. And then King and Kitsune.
If this happens I really hope we get a "What? You KNOW?" panel with the two of them looking at each other.
I had to change my earlier one slightly but for the most part it still works.

Fido: Can you explain the situation to us?
Lois: I was at school when Marion sent me these texts about a squirrel. Here's a photo.
Fido: A squirrel?
Lois: I already explained it to the man at the front desk.
Fido: I mean one squirrel is going to be hard to find, ma'am.
Lois: "Can you be more useless? My boyfriend is missing this squirrel is my best chance at finding him. And oh, there might be a chance that the squirrel is my boyfriend."
Fox: "Excuse me, did you say something about your boyfriend being a squirrel?'
Lois: "I already explained to the officer that I thought he was pulling a prank by telling me that he was suddenly changed into a squirrel but now he's missing."
Fox: "Umm..."

Fido: Ooooh.
Lois: "Yes, I know it sounds crazy but he really is missing."
Fox and Fido exchange a glance.
Lois: What?
Fox: "Funny thing. It's not as crazy as you might think. There's someone you need to talk to."
Fido: Actually two someones.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Lois and team tracks down Marion and Steward. Steward sees this as an opportunity to blackmail Marion with the coin but threatening him to do what he says and join the ECP/any other task he needs. The coin is used on Lois to show that Steward means business and Lois becomes *insert animal here* (I'm guessing Lioness)
I'm thinking that it's going to play out a bit differently. I think they will find Marion before morning, denying Steward his chance to speak with him. Even if he manages to see the squirrel depart, changing Lois at that moment with two police dogs that are immune to the coin seems like poor planning and impulse control.

Steward will still blackmail Marion and there will be hijinks.

I am also beginning to think Lois will stay human, even if she is temporarily
transformed soon, and that somehow Marion will sacrifice his humanity to save her. She and he go to college together and we dont see the pair again until one of them uncovers information about Dragons lost temple....

Anyone know how much we need to give to Rick's Patreon to get him to do a strip a day? :D
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Who else noticed a certain bracelet on Lois's wrist?
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: Lois and team tracks down Marion and Steward. Steward sees this as an opportunity to blackmail Marion with the coin but threatening him to do what he says and join the ECP/any other task he needs. The coin is used on Lois to show that Steward means business and Lois becomes *insert animal here* (I'm guessing Lioness)
I'm thinking that it's going to play out a bit differently. I think they will find Marion before morning, denying Steward his chance to speak with him. Even if he manages to see the squirrel depart, changing Lois at that moment with two police dogs that are immune to the coin seems like poor planning and impulse control.

Steward will still blackmail Marion and there will be hijinks. :D
Unless Steward “accidentally” drops the coin and asks Lois to pick it up. Fox and Fido dont know about the coins power. I mean it’ll be quite a shock. Or Steward sneaks the coin to her and then sneaks it away without anyone noticing. They all think it was some spontaneous occurrence like a disease. Or my personal favorite, Steward uses the coin on Lois, Fido and Fox try to arrest him, Steward jumps out the window screaming “You’ll never catch me coppers,” and Jess is in her chair going “What the....?”
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

We have the foundation set! Fido and Fox! Two people with a direct connection to strange thing and psychics. We might finally find out something if she explains what happened! Fox will pick up fast!
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Jacy

Post by Jacy »

Let's see if Fido is better at keeping Fox under controll than Mungo was.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Jacy wrote:Let's see if Fido is better at keeping Fox under controll than Mungo was.
Well, he has practice with Bino so who knows? Maybe he might be able to!
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

This... is a very good outcome. I couldn't pick a better K9 for this assignment
Also I never realized how short the dogs are. Lois doesn't look that all, but these two only reach up to her waist. I wonder what it's like working with such small (and cute) police officers :lol:
Argent

Post by Argent »

So, the teenager is the only adult in the room.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Argent wrote:So, the teenager is the only adult in the room.
They're all semi-adult. Fido's the Ralphsponsible one and Fox the savvy one.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Argent

Post by Argent »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Argent wrote:So, the teenager is the only adult in the room.
They're all semi-adult. Fido's the Ralphsponsible one and Fox the savvy one.
Sure, merge them together in some unholy ritual. There's probably a magic coin for that.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
Steward will still blackmail Marion and there will be hijinks. :D
Unless Steward “accidentally” drops the coin and asks Lois to pick it up. Fox and Fido dont know about the coins power. I mean it’ll be quite a shock. Or Steward sneaks the coin to her and then sneaks it away without anyone noticing. They all think it was some spontaneous occurrence like a disease. Or my personal favorite, Steward uses the coin on Lois, Fido and Fox try to arrest him, Steward jumps out the window screaming “You’ll never catch me coppers,” and Jess is in her chair going “What the....?”[/quote]

I dont see what Steward has to gain by transforming Lois right away. Seems like it's better to hold that possibility over Marions head in order to force him to do whatever. Marion is in a position to believe Steward has the ability, he has absolute proof that animal transformation is possible. Would he risk Lois on a gamble the badger is lying?

If his goal was random transformation and chaos, you'd think harmed already be doing that.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Yep, there's the bracelet. There absolutely had to be a corresponding one. Mainly so that Lois can have a necklace to match Marion's when she gets turned into a squirrel as well will have some evidence that she knows Marion when/if they meet an animal who's seen him.
dr_eirik wrote:I kinda feel like [Mungo] and Fido are in the same general area of knowing. They know there's real magic(k), they know that at least Tarot and Sabrina know how to use it, and not that much beyond that. Fido knows and believes it enough that, when Sabrina threatened to make him never born (not just wish he wasn't born) that Fido did what she told him to do.

In both cases, just like Fox, I think if any of the three caught wind of Marion that any of them would go to their designated magic using counterpart and get them involved. Which is why I suspect we haven't seen any of them in this arc yet.

It's like Rick planned this or something....
We got 2 out of those 3 on the case right now; awesome guess! Like Fenrir said, once Fox and Fido get a good look at the text messages that Marion sent to Lois, that'll get the gears turning in their heads. I think they'll either 1) Make calls to their respective magic(k) confidant people on the sly, and they'll factor in a bit later into the story, or 2) Say they "know somebody" who could possibly help and they go meet up with them that same night.

I personally think that it'll be option 1 with the calls. Fox & Fido may not want to get Lois all up into some magic(k)al shenanigans unless absolutely necessary. Both Fido and Fox might tell Lois they need to locate the female squirrel and bring her in for questioning of Marion's possible whereabouts alongside the search for Marion himself, with the secret side objective of having Sabrina/Tarot/whoever check the squirrel out to see if something else more supernatural is truly afoot. From there, things proceed like a regular search, with legwork and questioning potential leads to Marion's location (like Mrs. McGillicuddy, who knew Marion in the past) that just so happen to wind up pointing them in the direction of the squirrel ("But the darndest thing was that she was wearing a necklace that looked just like that!") and gets Lois to thinking that there might be a grain of truth to Marion's text messages after all.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Fox and Fido are working together!

I'm surprised Fox picked up on the sarcasm before Fido did.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Anyone getting Hermione vibes from Lois?
The funny part of the "throwing him off a bridge" comment is that now that he is so small that would be exceptionally easy to do.
I can see Marion in Lois's grip as they walk and Marion is trying to break free.
Marion: Lois, where are you taking me?
Lois: We are going on a little trip to the River Ridge Bridge.
Marion: Lois, don't do this. It wasn't my fault.
Lois: I should be home studying for tomorrow's Calc final so I hope squirrels can swim.

dr_eirik wrote:I dont see what Steward has to gain by transforming Lois right away. Seems like it's better to hold that possibility over Marions head in order to force him to do whatever. Marion is in a position to believe Steward has the ability, he has absolute proof that animal transformation is possible. Would he risk Lois on a gamble the badger is lying?

If his goal was random transformation and chaos, you'd think harmed already be doing that.
Lois will be changed eventually but the question is when because you're right and so many things could go wrong if Steward doesn't plan this correctly. Not just the fact that the K-9 are there but the fact that Steward is outnumbered and outmatched. Even if it was an "accident" the coin could be confiscated and if Steward tries to blackmail Marion with it then what is to simply stop Marion from turning Steward in to the police other than the fact that the entire concept of a magic coin turning people into animals is (as we've seen) unbelievable. Steward needs to use it because he needs to prove to Marion that it does have power instead of just telling him "Oh, this coin is cursed and any human who touches it turns into an animal like me." He could even lie and say that he used the coin on Marion even though there is no evidence proving that is what happened. Marion could take him on his word and not want to risk Lois suffering the same fate as him which is likely but it comes down to what Lois's overall role is going to be and rather or not she needs to be an animal to do it.
Either way though I feel like changing Lois then and there would be easier than having to wait for the "right time." Following Rick's pattern he would probably want Lois to be an animal as soon as possible if she is going to play such an important role in the story. Although on the other hand, having a human cast member that actually has a real role in the story would be a nice change of pace. Joel was human for five strips before immediately changing back into a dog then five again before he was a dog permanently so it'll probably happen sooner rather than later or we'll switch back to Marion's side of the story. I wouldn't mind Lois remaining human for as long as possible because like i've said before it would be nice to have a more essential human cast member (what I mean is a secondary character and Lois has reached secondary character status).
I will also say this last thing, I have a feeling that Lois is going to be changed into something big so hiding her is going to be difficult. That also tells me that if Steward does decide to start using the coin actively on random people, magic and human-animal transformation is going to be discovered by the greater population before too long which could be a good thing and definitely a bad thing for the therianthropes.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Good, looks like Fido is going to take this case. :) It would be awesome if Fox is going to work with him, though. :D Don't bring Kevin with you, please, I recommend you. ;) Uhm, dunno if it really worked to fake the family position just to make your story believable... It can be so. Oh, eheh. :P Yeah, Lois is surely kidding, no threats... ;)
Frank

Post by Frank »

Fido has decided he doesn't like her. Kind of makes me wonder what she smells like
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

Macsen wrote:Fox and Fido are working together!

I'm surprised Fox picked up on the sarcasm before Fido did.
Fox does presumably hang out with King so I’m sure he’s well acquainted with sarcasm. One thing to consider with Fox when he was teamed with Mungo, he was protecting his crush, here presumably that isn’t the situation. Maybe Fido is just more serious because he is the senior officer of the two.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
shadowlucario50

Foxy Fido... Or Fiddle Fox

Post by shadowlucario50 »

I feel like some of Mungo's personality is starting to rub off on Fox, with the whole "Marion's lucky to have someone so concerned about his wellbeing." That, or Fox is just impressed she's tricking the system so well just to help out Marion like some Hollywood Detective Superstar.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: Lois will be changed eventually but the question is when because you're right and so many things could go wrong if Steward doesn't plan this correctly. Not just the fact that the K-9 are there but the fact that Steward is outnumbered and outmatched. Even if it was an "accident" the coin could be confiscated and if Steward tries to blackmail Marion with it then what is to simply stop Marion from turning Steward in to the police other than the fact that the entire concept of a magic coin turning people into animals is (as we've seen) unbelievable. Steward needs to use it because he needs to prove to Marion that it does have power instead of just telling him "Oh, this coin is cursed and any human who touches it turns into an animal like me." He could even lie and say that he used the coin on Marion even though there is no evidence proving that is what happened. Marion could take him on his word and not want to risk Lois suffering the same fate as him which is likely but it comes down to what Lois's overall role is going to be and rather or not she needs to be an animal to do it.
Either way though I feel like changing Lois then and there would be easier than having to wait for the "right time." Following Rick's pattern he would probably want Lois to be an animal as soon as possible if she is going to play such an important role in the story. Although on the other hand, having a human cast member that actually has a real role in the story would be a nice change of pace. Joel was human for five strips before immediately changing back into a dog then five again before he was a dog permanently so it'll probably happen sooner rather than later or we'll switch back to Marion's side of the story. I wouldn't mind Lois remaining human for as long as possible because like i've said before it would be nice to have a more essential human cast member (what I mean is a secondary character and Lois has reached secondary character status).
I will also say this last thing, I have a feeling that Lois is going to be changed into something big so hiding her is going to be difficult. That also tells me that if Steward does decide to start using the coin actively on random people, magic and human-animal transformation is going to be discovered by the greater population before too long which could be a good thing and definitely a bad thing for the therianthropes.
I'm still not convinced she's going to be transformed. Believe me, I would be tickled if she is since I love TF fiction. I'm just not certain it will happen. If she is, I don't think its going to stick. Somehow she will get her humanity and Marion will pose as her pet while they research a cure.

If she is, I'm betting on another squirrel. Keeps the theme of "teenage squirrel" going. If not, I hope for raccoon, if just because I like them and how Rick draws them. The suggestion above that she become a lioness brings up a serious danger for Steward to randomly change her. What if she turns into a puma or bear? Right now, he's likely as close to an apex predator in these woods as there is other than Bruno. But if Lois could break him in half...?

As for the next few pages, I envision that Fox and Fido will shortly hear about the squirrel thing and take her seriously, but will want to find the little Grey rodent with the off color foot before they go up the magic(K) food chain. They track the squirrel quickly to the McGillicuddy residence, where they find out about the raccoons. Fox knows about the tree house in the woods. They head out that way, where hi-jinks ensue. I still think they get away before Steward can speak to Marion, but he will turn up very soon.

Oh, and Terrance will come along because the poor dog has been stuck in the lab for years and he needs the air. It not like he hasn't worked missing people/animals before. He was there when Joel was taken down.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Personally, my hope is for Otter, but I’m clearly biased saying that. Definitely not something that typically eats or chases after squirrels, King in the past bringing up how good Bailey smells and Marion’s natural climbing ability tell me that humans do get some light instincts after transforming, so that could be bad for their relationship. She does already have one really strong design though, especially for one of Rick’s humans which tend to be a little more on the basic side. I think it’s mostly the headband + glasses making me really love the design though, and those could be transferred over pretty easily to an animal so we’ll just have to see what Rick has planned for her. Also, got to love that the two dog’s aren’t even batting an eye at the squirrel being Lois’s boyfriend, and it’s not even yet been made clear they’ve been filled in on the fact he’s a human turned into one. Makes a ton of sense for Fido who also isn’t dating his species at the moment, and Fox at the moment probably just likes seeing other people in happy relationships since he’s been striking out quite a bit
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Gameb18oy wrote:I think it’s mostly the headband + glasses making me really love the design though, and those could be transferred over pretty easily to an animal so we’ll just have to see what Rick has planned for her.
You're right, that'd be pretty cool. The glasses + bandana combo would look great on nearly any animal that Lois could potentially turn into. The floofy lock of hair sticking out in front from under the bandana could also translate to a bit of a tuft of fur sticking out from under it, as well.
Gameb18oy wrote:Also, got to love that the two dog’s aren’t even batting an eye at the squirrel being Lois’s boyfriend, and it’s not even yet been made clear they’ve been filled in on the fact he’s a human turned into one. Makes a ton of sense for Fido who also isn’t dating his species at the moment, and Fox at the moment probably just likes seeing other people in happy relationships since he’s been striking out quite a bit
Lois wasn't talking to Fox & Fido about Marion as if he were the squirrel . She only told Fox & Fido that Marion is her boyfriend, and that she has it in her head that it was possibly a kidnapping. Lois looks to be treating the female squirrel as a main lead to Marion's whereabouts. With all the information that Lois has on her end, the logical assumption for her would be that the female squirrel was the last person to see Marion before he went missing.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ash Greytree wrote:
Lois wasn't talking to Fox & Fido about Marion as if he were the squirrel . She only told Fox & Fido that Marion is her boyfriend, and that she has it in her head that it was possibly a kidnapping. Lois looks to be treating the female squirrel as a main lead to Marion's whereabouts. With all the information that Lois has on her end, the logical assumption for her would be that the female squirrel was the last person to see Marion before he went missing.

That's the same way that I read it. I don't think she's really all that seriously considering that he really is the squirrel, but rather than he vanished and she got these really odd texts from a squirrel that was also using her boyfriends bracelet as a necklace. It would be logical to assume that it is involved in some fashion. If she does the Sit-Com thing of not telling Fox and Fido that the texts also mention that he actually IS the squirrel, then they'll go off looking for the critter and likely not even consider the other possibility. If she allows them to read the texts, then I imagine a LOOK passing between them....

I did wonder if the front desk policeman pawned her off on the K9's because of the squirrel thing. Basically that he's not really taking it seriously, thinks it's just a stupid prank, and doesn't want to waste a human detectives time on this if a couple of the dogs are available.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote: I'm still not convinced she's going to be transformed. Believe me, I would be tickled if she is since I love TF fiction. I'm just not certain it will happen. If she is, I don't think its going to stick. Somehow she will get her humanity and Marion will pose as her pet while they research a cure.

If she is, I'm betting on another squirrel. Keeps the theme of "teenage squirrel" going. If not, I hope for raccoon, if just because I like them and how Rick draws them. The suggestion above that she become a lioness brings up a serious danger for Steward to randomly change her. What if she turns into a puma or bear? Right now, he's likely as close to an apex predator in these woods as there is other than Bruno. But if Lois could break him in half...?

As for the next few pages, I envision that Fox and Fido will shortly hear about the squirrel thing and take her seriously, but will want to find the little Grey rodent with the off color foot before they go up the magic(K) food chain. They track the squirrel quickly to the McGillicuddy residence, where they find out about the raccoons. Fox knows about the tree house in the woods. They head out that way, where hi-jinks ensue. I still think they get away before Steward can speak to Marion, but he will turn up very soon.
I like the idea of an apex predator just to liven up the neighborhood. Maybe have Gale mentor her in the ways of being female predator. Plus Lois needs to be changed because if she isn't then she'll just leave him and go off to college. I mean being denied college on account of being cursed sucks but think of poor Marion who's already dealing with that reality.
I am curious about the timing because if Lois manages to track down Marion that night then Steward might not have the chance to convince him to join or talk to him like he wanted. If that does happen then Steward is going to have to think on his feet and it may mean using the coin on Lois when she arrives and threatens to take Marion away. Or he could just do something super creepy and whisper to Marion "I will find you again." A year from now he pops up at Marion's window like Pennywise (there's an image for you, Steward standing outside his house with a red balloon). That is still why I think the coin will be used on Lois just to show that Steward is a threat and not to be taken lightly. It would be silly to have him be introduced as the bad guy then just not do anything besides act suspicious. It would be like if Pennywise just handed back the paper boat in the movie and let the little boy go on his merry way.
dr_eirik wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:

That's the same way that I read it. I don't think she's really all that seriously considering that he really is the squirrel, but rather than he vanished and she got these really odd texts from a squirrel that was also using her boyfriends bracelet as a necklace. It would be logical to assume that it is involved in some fashion. If she does the Sit-Com thing of not telling Fox and Fido that the texts also mention that he actually IS the squirrel, then they'll go off looking for the critter and likely not even consider the other possibility. If she allows them to read the texts, then I imagine a LOOK passing between them....

I did wonder if the front desk policeman pawned her off on the K9's because of the squirrel thing. Basically that he's not really taking it seriously, thinks it's just a stupid prank, and doesn't want to waste a human detectives time on this if a couple of the dogs are available.
It makes since to bring in the K-9s to track down a missing person and a squirrel. I mean police dogs are used all the time in missing persons cases but normally they have handlers but Fox and Fido don't need handlers so they can do the job by themselves.