2019/07/19 - Self Incrimination

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
fenrirblack

Re: 2019/07/19 - Self Incrimination

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote: I'm still not convinced she's going to be transformed. Believe me, I would be tickled if she is since I love TF fiction. I'm just not certain it will happen. If she is, I don't think its going to stick. Somehow she will get her humanity and Marion will pose as her pet while they research a cure.

If she is, I'm betting on another squirrel. Keeps the theme of "teenage squirrel" going. If not, I hope for raccoon, if just because I like them and how Rick draws them. The suggestion above that she become a lioness brings up a serious danger for Steward to randomly change her. What if she turns into a puma or bear? Right now, he's likely as close to an apex predator in these woods as there is other than Bruno. But if Lois could break him in half...?

As for the next few pages, I envision that Fox and Fido will shortly hear about the squirrel thing and take her seriously, but will want to find the little Grey rodent with the off color foot before they go up the magic(K) food chain. They track the squirrel quickly to the McGillicuddy residence, where they find out about the raccoons. Fox knows about the tree house in the woods. They head out that way, where hi-jinks ensue. I still think they get away before Steward can speak to Marion, but he will turn up very soon.
I like the idea of an apex predator just to liven up the neighborhood. Maybe have Gale mentor her in the ways of being female predator. Plus Lois needs to be changed because if she isn't then she'll just leave him and go off to college. I mean being denied college on account of being cursed sucks but think of poor Marion who's already dealing with that reality.
I am curious about the timing because if Lois manages to track down Marion that night then Steward might not have the chance to convince him to join or talk to him like he wanted. If that does happen then Steward is going to have to think on his feet and it may mean using the coin on Lois when she arrives and threatens to take Marion away. Or he could just do something super creepy and whisper to Marion "I will find you again." A year from now he pops up at Marion's window like Pennywise (there's an image for you, Steward standing outside his house with a red balloon). That is still why I think the coin will be used on Lois just to show that Steward is a threat and not to be taken lightly. It would be silly to have him be introduced as the bad guy then just not do anything besides act suspicious. It would be like if Pennywise just handed back the paper boat in the movie and let the little boy go on his merry way.
dr_eirik wrote:
Ash Greytree wrote:
Lois wasn't talking to Fox & Fido about Marion as if he were the squirrel . She only told Fox & Fido that Marion is her boyfriend, and that she has it in her head that it was possibly a kidnapping. Lois looks to be treating the female squirrel as a main lead to Marion's whereabouts. With all the information that Lois has on her end, the logical assumption for her would be that the female squirrel was the last person to see Marion before he went missing.

That's the same way that I read it. I don't think she's really all that seriously considering that he really is the squirrel, but rather than he vanished and she got these really odd texts from a squirrel that was also using her boyfriends bracelet as a necklace. It would be logical to assume that it is involved in some fashion. If she does the Sit-Com thing of not telling Fox and Fido that the texts also mention that he actually IS the squirrel, then they'll go off looking for the critter and likely not even consider the other possibility. If she allows them to read the texts, then I imagine a LOOK passing between them....

I did wonder if the front desk policeman pawned her off on the K9's because of the squirrel thing. Basically that he's not really taking it seriously, thinks it's just a stupid prank, and doesn't want to waste a human detectives time on this if a couple of the dogs are available.
It makes since to bring in the K-9s to track down a missing person and a squirrel. I mean police dogs are used all the time in missing persons cases but normally they have handlers but Fox and Fido don't need handlers so they can do the job by themselves.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote: I like the idea of an apex predator just to liven up the neighborhood. Maybe have Gale mentor her in the ways of being female predator. Plus Lois needs to be changed because if she isn't then she'll just leave him and go off to college. I mean being denied college on account of being cursed sucks but think of poor Marion who's already dealing with that reality.
I dunno, if she stays human and they go to a local college then he might use the opportunity to study a way out of his situation and still hang around the neighborhood. If the word gets to the right people (say, a passel of billionaire ferrets) then they might get a handsome scholarship on top of it. You are right, it might be interesting if she becomes some kind of North American predator. Mountain lion, bobcat, etc. Of course, might really suck if she becomes something hoofed. She'd still be intelligent, but no thumbs. I'm still in the "won't transform" camp, but if so I'm still banking on squirrel.
fenrirblack wrote:I am curious about the timing because if Lois manages to track down Marion that night then Steward might not have the chance to convince him to join or talk to him like he wanted. If that does happen then Steward is going to have to think on his feet and it may mean using the coin on Lois when she arrives and threatens to take Marion away.

I think that this is happening right about the same time that we are seeing the tree house in the last arc. I guess it depends on his curfew, and she talks about being out late on a school night. I'm guessing that it's getting close to midnight, give or take. If Lois goes with them, then Marion will be home (or at least at Lois') by dawn. If not, then I think our dynamic duo will reconize that this is a transformed human and Tarot and Sabrina are going to get a really early wake up call.

Which brings up another possibility. What if Sabrina's dad has returned with an artifact? Or perhaps the pair of them were doing a magic(k) experiment that went wrong. Could those two be our sorta-evil-doers?
fenrirblack wrote:It makes since to bring in the K-9s to track down a missing person and a squirrel. I mean police dogs are used all the time in missing persons cases but normally they have handlers but Fox and Fido don't need handlers so they can do the job by themselves.
It makes sense to bring them in, but you'd think that a missing person case would start with a human detective. I realize the K9's are pretty autonomous, but I'd think something like that would go through someone a bit higher up the chain of command. Though I suppose that you could assume that it did, and the human in charge decided to make this a low priority for now. Or even just that it would be best if they found the squirrel ASAP to get started on the investigation.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

dr_eirik wrote:
fenrirblack wrote: I am curious about the timing because if Lois manages to track down Marion that night then Steward might not have the chance to convince him to join or talk to him like he wanted. If that does happen then Steward is going to have to think on his feet and it may mean using the coin on Lois when she arrives and threatens to take Marion away.

I think that this is happening right about the same time that we are seeing the tree house in the last arc. I guess it depends on his curfew, and she talks about being out late on a school night. I'm guessing that it's getting close to midnight, give or take. If Lois goes with them, then Marion will be home (or at least at Lois') by dawn. If not, then I think our dynamic duo will reconize that this is a transformed human and Tarot and Sabrina are going to get a really early wake up call.

Which brings up another possibility. What if Sabrina's dad has returned with an artifact? Or perhaps the pair of them were doing a magic(k) experiment that went wrong. Could those two be our sorta-evil-doers?
Well, it wouldn't be the first time Fox showed up at their door in the middle of the night with a confused female.
*Lois cracks her knuckles
Lois: You did what to my boyfriend?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Somethings I just realised in this strip.

1. It's the same night. Lois references that 24 hours haven't passed and the Missing Marion is 'keeping her up on a school night', indicating it's probably about 10pm.

2. Fido is new to the 'human interaction' thing. It's not so much in the way he talks but in what he's doing. He knows to greet Humans with a handshake but he's using the wrong hand.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Or maybe he's simply left-handed? A detail I never noticed before.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

D-Rock wrote:Or maybe he's simply left-handed? A detail I never noticed before.
I'm not a lefty, but isn't handshaking cultural? The only time I've encountered left-handshaking is in the Boy Scouts of America, which uses a left hand shake for reasons I can't recall and don't want to bother looking up at the moment.

Edited to add: I just glance at the next comic and he knocks with his right. Oddly, in my minds eye I thought he was holding something in his right hand like a clipboard or notebook, but you actually don't ever see his right hand. Maybe it's because he was looking down when he started to chide Lois.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

He is holding a notebook in his right hand in this strip. In the second panel to the left of Lois's shoulder you can see his right thumb and first finger holding, based on the color pattern, a notebook in front of his uniform.
The cape comes with the promotion.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Maybe he's ambidextrous with a left bias. I dunno. All I know of handshaing is that one normally uses their dominant hand. Just that there are relatively fewer lefties. Lois probably noticed quickly enough to switch to left for Fido.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

dr_eirik wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2019 11:30 am
D-Rock wrote:Or maybe he's simply left-handed? A detail I never noticed before.
I'm not a lefty, but isn't handshaking cultural? The only time I've encountered left-handshaking is in the Boy Scouts of America, which uses a left hand shake for reasons I can't recall and don't want to bother looking up at the moment.

Edited to add: I just glance at the next comic and he knocks with his right. Oddly, in my minds eye I thought he was holding something in his right hand like a clipboard or notebook, but you actually don't ever see his right hand. Maybe it's because he was looking down when he started to chide Lois.
It's 'cause the left hand is 'closer to your heart.' Source: am Eagle Scout.
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I didn't even know you were always supposed to shake hands with your right hand even if you are a left-handed person until now.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I imagine it's ultimately dependent on who makes the offer to shake first. And if the other guy decides to be nice about it. Also, never knew that about the boy scouts. Never joined.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Didn't really care to join any scouting group really but that is because at that time most kids were total ******** to me and taunted me about my many issues.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'd offer support but I get the feeling that what you want most of all is for us NOT to ask so I'll just say you can pm me with gripes anytime.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Actually what I want is to see your rabbit avatar again. XD

But thanks. It does mean a lot.