2019/07/05 - Badger Badgering

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/07/05 - Badger Badgering

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/07/05 - Badger Badgering]
Title Text: I mean, it's not like things were nice before, but you know, it's a lot of work

As Lucretia said, their lives sucked, nonetheless.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/07/05 - Badger Badgering

Post by Saturn381 »

I think it would be easier if Steward show them then just telling them.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Wait... Steward is in favor of the Milton's program?

What are you planning Mr Badger? What what what....
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Please, Steward. If you think anyone is going to buy this "i've changed and seen the error of my ways" nonsense then I have some bad news.

Oh, so Steward is suddenly all pro animal rights? The same guy who a year ago tried to rob the ECP or at the least withheld funding from the very same program that he's suddenly all for. He's up to something but what? I have several idea of how this could go. The biggest being that he does want something out of bring more animals into the ECP but no one will listen to him. Surprising? Not at all. If we've learned one thing is that most animals in HP are VERY complacent with their lives.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
zeusdemigod131

Post by zeusdemigod131 »

... what game are you playing silly Badger? Are you hoping if you send more ferals there'll be a bigger chance one will mess it up for everyone, or is this a selfish thing in that you want to not have to live in the woods but the Miltons aren't gonna let you back in?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Gbr23 wrote:Wait... Steward is in favor of the Milton's program?

Based on this episode?

I still don't trust him but I don't think this is any plan of his.

It’s difficult to get to sleep
with people arguing by no door.
In all of Karishad’s design
this might be the biggest flaw.
They both argue for the best
do Steward and our Custom Ink
but Jess’s touch of reality
is set to make you think.
The ECP helps the wild come in,
openerism gives it a heart;
but some are safer in the wood now,
if they know how to take part.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

He does have a reason to promote the ECP now, since if it goes large he could slip back into society, but I have my doubts that he is being completely altruistic.

Also, Marion is never going to get any sleep, is he?
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Is Steward A Villain: Yes

Steward's Goal: Revenge or Regaining his Old Life

Did He Change Marion: No

Does He Know Marion’s True Identity: Maybe. (He's doesn't want to scare Marion off or risk exposure since no one knows about his past)

Who Changed Marion: Dino-Demon or another new supernatural character that has not been introduced.

Will Marion Return Home: Yes. Soon.

Theories
Steward is going to convince Marion to either join the ECP or at least talk to the Miltons'. Marion sees this as his best option to return to his human life so he joins Steward. With the ECP the Miltons' can not only help him graduate but even help him get into college or find a job. At the very least they can explain the situation to his parents. (At this point I don't think Marion knows anything or very little about the ECP or what the Milton ferrets actually are capable of.

Steward is going to question Marion in the morning and once Steward discovers Marion was changed and wants to use Marion for his own devious purposes:
A. Steward wants to convince Marion to join the ECP to get back in the Milton's good graces. He lost his job and his life and the Miltons are the best chance at regaining some type of normalcy. Technically he could still do lawyer stuff as a badger IF the Milton's rehire him.
B. Steward wants to get back in the Milton's good graces so he can get something from them like a method of returning to human. They don't trust him so if he comes bearing gifts like more animals for the ECP then maybe they'll turn the other cheek to the fact that he tried to rob them.

Steward is going to discover that Marion was once human and gets the idea in his head to use the coin to turn other humans into animals (again the coin DOES have to be used eventually) so they will follow the same logic of the Milton's and the ECP are their best chance at retaining normalcy.

Steward is going to convince a bunch a ferals to join the ECP and poison it from within as the ultimate act of revenge. I mean these aren't exactly the cream of the crop like Gale or the wolves. Jess maybe but Truck, Fals, or even Ink? If they did join the ECP, I expect that Steward wants them to mess up so badly that the ECP will have to shut down or the very least no one would want to hire any more ferals and then Keene's ambitions will be ruined.
dr_eirik wrote:He does have a reason to promote the ECP now, since if it goes large he could slip back into society, but I have my doubts that he is being completely altruistic.

Sleep? Not anymore. I have a feeling the next scene will be Marion asking about the ECP all excited. It is his best chance at restoring what little life he has left. I hate Steward for it but he is Marion's best chance at getting to the Miltons'
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I'm not sure just what game Steward is playing, but, he kinda has a point. At the very least, the ferals are thinking in the short term. Yeah, the wolves and the mountain lion are gone, but that just leaves a void in the territory that other predators will move in to fill at some point.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Awww, Steward is trying to help the animals get a better life, maybe he is not such a bad guy after all!

Okay, place your bets, who here thinks I am going to be proven wrong within the next two weeks?
Xane wrote:The Extremely Content Predators program!
I wish to reiterate that I would really like Xane to comment more often.
fenrirblack wrote:Please, Steward. If you think anyone is going to buy this "i've changed and seen the error of my ways" nonsense then I have some bad news.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Silly Zealot wrote:Awww, Steward is trying to help the animals get a better life, maybe he is not such a bad guy after all!

Okay, place your bets, who here thinks I am going to be proven wrong within the next two weeks?
I have a feeling Rick is going to make Steward look like a good guy for a while then later on pull the rug out from under us and TWIST, it was a scam! Steward did have a devious motive all along.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Please, Steward. If you think anyone is going to buy this "i've changed and seen the error of my ways" nonsense then I have some bad news.

Oh, so Steward is suddenly all pro animal rights? The same guy who a year ago tried to rob the ECP or at the least withheld funding from the very same program that he's suddenly all for. He's up to something but what? I have several idea of how this could go. The biggest being that he does want something out of bring more animals into the ECP but no one will listen to him. Surprising? Not at all. If we've learned one thing is that most animals in HP are VERY complacent with their lives.
Yes, the Housepets are... but that’s not the entire cast now is it? As Steward himself pointed out, Gale took the chance to enter society almost immediately when she heard it was an option. And if it helps you swallow the idea he’s gonna support it, two things to keep in mind:
1. We have no evidence on either side of what he felt about the goal of the ECP, but Steward’s always been presented as fairly level headed. He probably started stealing money when he started to see what he felt were signs it wasn’t going to every happen, but that doesn’t automatically mean he didn’t want it to.
2. He’s now stuck as a Badger and he has no idea if he can turn back. While he can’t get involved in the program, it would benefit him immensely to make it more common for wild animals to be involved in it, as it would lower the barrier to integrating with the rest of the world (see the Wolves trip to the zoo vs them now being trusted to do human jobs. More animals starting to get involved in the working world, the less humans can just do stuff like call animal control on an animal without a leash and collar in a mall).

That’s not to say he can’t still be a villain. It’s pretty clear that Rick’s showcase of what happened to Marion was to show how cruel and messed up using the coin can be if it’s the source of the transformation, even if it’s for a cause that’s ultimately good. That’s also why it’s notable that Steward isn’t showcasing any definite signals to us that he knows why Marion changed, if he’s not involved with the change, the turning over of a new leaf is genuine, even if a little selfish. If not, then I just hope Rick is planning an amazing ending for Marion later on
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote: And if it helps you swallow the idea he’s gonna support it, two things to keep in mind:
1. We have no evidence on either side of what he felt about the goal of the ECP, but Steward’s always been presented as fairly level headed. He probably started stealing money when he started to see what he felt were signs it wasn’t going to every happen, but that doesn’t automatically mean he didn’t want it to.
2. He’s now stuck as a Badger and he has no idea if he can turn back. While he can’t get involved in the program, it would benefit him immensely to make it more common for wild animals to be involved in it, as it would lower the barrier to integrating with the rest of the world (see the Wolves trip to the zoo vs them now being trusted to do human jobs. More animals starting to get involved in the working world, the less humans can just do stuff like call animal control on an animal without a leash and collar in a mall).

That’s not to say he can’t still be a villain. It’s pretty clear that Rick’s showcase of what happened to Marion was to show how cruel and messed up using the coin can be if it’s the source of the transformation, even if it’s for a cause that’s ultimately good. That’s also why it’s notable that Steward isn’t showcasing any definite signals to us that he knows why Marion changed, if he’s not involved with the change, the turning over of a new leaf is genuine, even if a little selfish. If not, then I just hope Rick is planning an amazing ending for Marion later on
I'm sure Steward supports it because he has no choice but to use it to his advantage. You're right, he is an animal with no means of changing back unless he knows something that we don't. Either way, Marion is still a means to an end and Steward is going to manipulate Marion to get to those goals even if we don't know what his true goal is. But one thing I can say is that Steward has been sitting on his tail for a year to think. I would hope in all that time he's tried to come up with a better idea then get multiple animals into the ECP and slowly (I can't emphasize this enough) change society so that he can eventually rejoin human civilization which may never happen in his life time or ever. I can't imagine he's willing to wait for that to happen if there was a better option to speed up the integration progress for himself.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Gameb18oy wrote:That’s also why it’s notable that Steward isn’t showcasing any definite signals to us that he knows why Marion changed, if he’s not involved with the change, the turning over of a new leaf is genuine, even if a little selfish. If not, then I just hope Rick is planning an amazing ending for Marion later on
Steward's not going to show any signs of knowing what happened to Marion, even if he does know. At least, not until he's had a chance to get Marion alone for a little chat. He's certainly too smart and level-headed to be doing any obvious villainous mustache-twirling.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

fenrirblack wrote:Steward is going to convince a bunch a ferals to join the ECP and poison it from within as the ultimate act of revenge.
As long as he doesn't try to convince them to join the SCP, it's not THAT bad.
Xane wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:I wish to reiterate that I would really like Xane to comment more often.
I can only be funny/interesting once per comic.
Awww. :(
Xane wrote: I haven't looked directly but was there ever any direct link between Steward and the attempt on Keene's life? For some reason I thought there was but when I replayed all the scenarios in my head, the assassination was done by PETA and Steward was only seen talking with Thomas, who wanted money, not murder. He was withholding funds to push Keene to open the temple so they could look for the treasure. A much faster fortune than slowly embezzling from the ferrets, if only it wasn't cursed. Thomas doesn't seem to have any hatred for animals in general, he could have easily sold them the pneumatic tubes without warning them and let them hurt themselves. He seemed to treat Sofia reasonably well.
Yeah, it also threw off that he turned out to be greedy and a liar in the final temple story. He had always seemed like nice, proffesional, (if almost insignificant) background character.
Last edited by Silly Zealot on Fri Jul 05, 2019 1:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:He does have a reason to promote the ECP now, since if it goes large he could slip back into society, but I have my doubts that he is being completely altruistic.

No. The tree house is sorta like that kid's summer camp where, ten minutes after "lights out", all the counselors stood around outside your window and yammered until 1:00 am so nobody ever got to sleep.
Last edited by NHWestoN on Fri Jul 05, 2019 7:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
restcure

Post by restcure »

Xane wrote:The Extremely Content Predators program!

I'm still grumpy the bad guy's the second best (and cutest) mustelid ever.

(wolverines are the best)

(honey badgers tied at #2 with American badgers)

(mushroom mushroom)
True, but part of him is still a snaaaaaaake! a snaaaaaaaake!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Rogue thought just entered my head.

Steward lives in that house.

Cory and Trinket live in that house.

I wonder if, at some point in the recent past, Steward 'lost' a certain coin?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:I wonder if, at some point in the recent past, Steward 'lost' a certain coin?
Didn't Steward pay with the coin to get housing?
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

I never would’ve considered the ECP. Completely forgot about that.

Steward wanting to boost the ECP and get more ferals into it and normalize it in order to get back into human society in some form makes more sense than trying to magic(k) his way back to humanity. From what I’ve seen of him (again, I’ve mainly read from the end of Temple Crashers 2 up to now and done some wiki-diving), he never seemed the kind of guy who’d dabble all crazy-like in magic.

I agree with Gameb18oy. Again, from what I’ve seen, Steward has never presented himself as an out-and-out villain looking to actively destroy what the Miltons have tried to set up nor has he shown any disdain for the concept or goal of the ECP. He just got greedy. Now, he still seems self-interested, but most likely in order to regain some semblance of citizenry and station that he once had.

If the coin is involved, I could see him using it to transform people, getting them to go through the ECP, and boosting its success rate so eventually he can reintegrate with society. No mustache-twirling villainy to seek revenge on the Miltons and sink Keene’s plans; just pure selfishness that hurts others, like Marion.

I have some thoughts on what potential paths Marion’s story could take from here, but it’s getting late and I need some sleep; I’ll write them up and post them in the morning.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

If you can't beat them, join them. Stewards reasons for not joining the ECP are probably he's afraid a Milton is going to recognize him. There's not much he can do about that so he won't be joining in the future. Here are two reasons I can think of why Steward would want to recruit Marion (and other newcomers) to the ECP.
  1. As a human he didn't have enough qualms with hindering it for profit to not, but he recognized it was good for animals and especially now that he lost his humanity, he sees it as a way to a better life. Even if he can't enroll himself for reasons, he still wants other people to have better lives (as mentioned before, animals and humans have different notions of what they want out of life, hence his lack of success)
  2. He wants revenge against the Minton Ferrets (Because they were annoyingly eccentric? He doesn't really have a motive) and he wants a spy to infiltrate the program so he can dismantle it from the inside out
Xane wrote:Thomas doesn't seem to have any hatred for animals in general, he could have easily sold them the pneumatic tubes without warning them and let them hurt themselves. He seemed to treat Sofia reasonably well.
Based on his reaction to them, I don't think he has much love for the ferrets specifically. He was playing a character for the pneumatic tube bit. Still, there is a difference between not liking someone and being ok with them dying.
The cape comes with the promotion.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Xane wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:I wish to reiterate that I would really like Xane to comment more often.
I can only be funny/interesting once per comic.

I haven't looked directly but was there ever any direct link between Steward and the attempt on Keene's life? For some reason I thought there was but when I replayed all the scenarios in my head, the assassination was done by PETA and Steward was only seen talking with Thomas, who wanted money, not murder. He was withholding funds to push Keene to open the temple so they could look for the treasure. A much faster fortune than slowly embezzling from the ferrets, if only it wasn't cursed. Thomas doesn't seem to have any hatred for animals in general, he could have easily sold them the pneumatic tubes without warning them and let them hurt themselves. He seemed to treat Sofia reasonably well.

The look on his face while staring at the coin doesn't help his case for not being evil though. He could very well be more ruthless than Thomas was. I fully expect this is all part of a plan to infiltrate and gain revenge on Keene for letting him (and Thomas) get their just desserts.
To say he was part of the PETA Assassination is what I consider as wrong. The agent who did it was PETA, and implied to be Joel's "Big Chungus" 'Buddy' from that time, who at least had better preparation.

However, Mr Steward is considered Iffy, especially when Keene brings up his 'Strange behavior' as far back as the Original Temple Crashers, and even more notable when he somehow doesn't get a rescue party to look for Keene, who was stuck in the zoo thanks to Karishad.

Honestly, that's the same idea I had with Thomas Milton. His grudge is mainly on his 'Cousins', the Ferrets, mostly for buying out his companies and getting more back, simply on a whim.

https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... asy-money/

However, the part where he doesn't want them hurt, I personally feel was more standard professionalism, basically, "If a customer gets hurt because of my action/inaction, it will cause a backlash that will cause me to lose money.", while Sofia was because she was his companion for the last few years he spent, trekking in a desert looking for that one stinking temple, only to find his old man went and sent it to Babylon Gardens prior to his death.

Honestly, Steward may do that... Or he may try and abuse the very system that Keene wants to build up, to not just infiltrate the Manor, but also bring said system crashing down around Keene's ears via a Civil War, and I don't mean the ones Keene gets into for Breakfast!
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Gbr23 wrote:Wait... Steward is in favor of the Milton's program?

Maybe an sabotage of the program from the inside?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Ash Greytree wrote:I never would’ve considered the ECP. Completely forgot about that.

Steward wanting to boost the ECP and get more ferals into it and normalize it in order to get back into human society in some form makes more sense than trying to magic(k) his way back to humanity. From what I’ve seen of him (again, I’ve mainly read from the end of Temple Crashers 2 up to now and done some wiki-diving), he never seemed the kind of guy who’d dabble all crazy-like in magic.

I agree with Gameb18oy. Again, from what I’ve seen, Steward has never presented himself as an out-and-out villain looking to actively destroy what the Miltons have tried to set up nor has he shown any disdain for the concept or goal of the ECP. He just got greedy. Now, he still seems self-interested, but most likely in order to regain some semblance of citizenry and station that he once had.

If the coin is involved, I could see him using it to transform people, getting them to go through the ECP, and boosting its success rate so eventually he can reintegrate with society. No mustache-twirling villainy to seek revenge on the Miltons and sink Keene’s plans; just pure selfishness that hurts others, like Marion.

I have some thoughts on what potential paths Marion’s story could take from here, but it’s getting late and I need some sleep; I’ll write them up and post them in the morning.
Like your theories, so glad in turn you like mine. Will bring up, the talk about proselytizing Jessica is bringing up means Marion isn’t his first attempt to get into the ECP. It’s a case in his favor of not being evil if he’s only been trying with the true wild animals, even if it makes him turning Marion gets worse when Marion wasn’t even his first experiment. Also got to love this explanation for why the few smart wild animals aren’t taking advantage of the offer, most of them are content in something the Miltons ironically built for them. Jessica’s belief it sounds like opener of ways stuff is a nice way to acknowledge her not joining is the most puzzling as she’d get the best benefit, easier to find time to hang out with her boyfriend, and she’s sure to know food’s easier to get when you actually have rights
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I think Stewart does have Keene and the Milton's interests in mind ~ The problem though is I suspect is if Stewart succeeds, it'll be for the wrong reasons.

I'm getting the feeling what Stewart will end up doing wrong is that he might get everyone on board with the program ~ but then it either overworks them or they wish for their old life back.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Hmmm this is a bit of an interesting turn. I don't know what he is up too yet but it's unlikely to be good given his past.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Couple thoughts ....

Mr.Steward may actually have approved of ECP. He doesn't seem to have wanted to sabotage it all that much, just embezzled every time he could get from Milton Enterprises.

Now if Steward does return to human form, new troubles assail him - he's wanted for assorted latencies ... Lost his certification and license ... virtually unemployable. But, as a Badger, his crimes are unknown, skills still validated, and he's got glasses, pompous diction, and accounting talents going for him. Under ECP, he might even winkle his old job back ( anonymously, of course - unless Marvin's got it). He could work for Gale Puma.
So maybe we're barking up the wrong tree house, thinking his main motive is restoring his humanity.....hey, we're in Babylon Gardens, right?

Sooooo, next reveals - how much of Badger's background do Jessica and the others know, what lies has he told them, and how will Badger's motives play into Marion's dilemma?
Titanium Dragon

Post by Titanium Dragon »

NHWestoN wrote:Mr.Steward may actually have approved of ECP. He doesn't seem to have wanted to sabotage it all that much, just embezzled every time he could get from Milton Enterprises.
This is my suspicion, really; it's less that he was ideologically opposed and more "More money for me!"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote: Like your theories, so glad in turn you like mine. Will bring up, the talk about proselytizing Jessica is bringing up means Marion isn’t his first attempt to get into the ECP. It’s a case in his favor of not being evil if he’s only been trying with the true wild animals, even if it makes him turning Marion gets worse when Marion wasn’t even his first experiment. Also got to love this explanation for why the few smart wild animals aren’t taking advantage of the offer, most of them are content in something the Miltons ironically built for them. Jessica’s belief it sounds like opener of ways stuff is a nice way to acknowledge her not joining is the most puzzling as she’d get the best benefit, easier to find time to hang out with her boyfriend, and she’s sure to know food’s easier to get when you actually have rights
Jess is proud and stubborn. She’s one of those types who likes the status quo and feels like she’s better off being the ferals fairy god mother. Someone has to stay there and keep the forest in check. Plus she doesn’t strike as someone who would want to or could hold down an actual job. Not to mention Zach, Kari, and who knows who are essentially giving her everything she needs.
Zesortinge wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:I wonder if, at some point in the recent past, Steward 'lost' a certain coin?
I think he tried but as we’ve seen, Jess doesn’t need anything for free room.
Titanium Dragon wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:Mr.Steward may actually have approved of ECP. He doesn't seem to have wanted to sabotage it all that much, just embezzled every time he could get from Milton Enterprises.
This is my suspicion, really; it's less that he was ideologically opposed and more "More money for me!"
As much fun as, destroy the ECP from the inside is, people are right to say that it is his best chance at regaining what he lost. I don’t think he would want to sabotage the ECP as much as take over. Remember when Keene was locked in the zoo for four months and Steward just happen to not realize. What was he doing besides running the company in Keene’s absence? Steward is a man who who wants power and wants to be in charge. It was his job to keep the Milton’s on a short leash. The ECP is his best chance to get back into a position of power by essentially stealing the leadership role from under them and then using it to his advantage. The more ferals (or therians) he is able to get under his thrall the better it is for him. If he happen to make some money from it then so be it.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

What if we are all being set up for the ultimate misdirection? Not only Steward having had nothing to do with Marion's current situation, but he legitimately only sees a young female squirrel that is having a tough time and could use the safety that civilization provides. When he finds out that Marion was human, that only spurs him to help more.

It would be the ultimate fake out.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Sir Chestnut

Post by Sir Chestnut »

As much fun as, destroy the ECP from the inside is, people are right to say that it is his best chance at regaining what he lost. I don’t think he would want to sabotage the ECP as much as take over.
That makes sense, either take over or somehow find a new way to steal from it.

Also speculating; if Miles is Marion's teacher, maybe overhearing this conversation might give him the idea to go get in touch with him regarding the ECP somehow. This would get him into at least a close proximity to King and the totem as well. Would also be funny if Miles was the one who assigned him to read Kafka.
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Honestly, given the fact that the last time we saw Steward before this he had the coin and he was twirling it in his claws, I'm leaning towards the 'he had a part to play in all this' side. A gender-swap is new, though, so maybe not? Don't quote me on it. :D
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Maybe this was Keene's plan all along: infiltrate the ferals with Steward to convince them to promote his cause ...and why he was so nonchallant about just up and leaving it.
leinglo wrote:I'm not sure just what game Steward is playing, but, he kinda has a point. At the very least, the ferals are thinking in the short term. Yeah, the wolves and the mountain lion are gone, but that just leaves a void in the territory that other predators will move in to fill at some point.
unless they get organized to protect their little apex-predator-free haven from the outside world... oh my god it's Oren's Forge (full disclosure, I'm not reading it from the website so I know what happens after the latest page there)
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

fenrirblack wrote:
Zesortinge wrote:
I think he tried but as we’ve seen, Jess doesn’t need anything for free room.
I though he payed the scammer for the housing.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

This discussion is important, of something wished by Keene's father, and we know that Steward worked with him when he was an human, but, I hope that's not what he wants to talk about with Marion, because that squirrel only wishes to be back as human, of course. ;) Steward should only tell Marion that happened the same kind of transforming to him, also if in his case there's a reason... Jessica and the other critters living at her home have a point to don't care of that, and their life already improved well without it. :) Indeed, Jessica, figure out is Marion wants to join that, and it's not only for the reason you say. :P
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Zesortinge wrote: I think he tried but as we’ve seen, Jess doesn’t need anything for free room.
I though he payed the scammer for the housing.[/quote]

We never saw exactly how he was welcomed in, it was shown in a wordless set of panels, but given Jessicas tendency it's likely that all he had to do was show up and ask for a space and not cause trouble. He was also still holding the coin and staring at it after he was welcomed in, and given that he knew its power, it's unlikely he traded it away.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Can't believe I am saying this because I never thought I would see the day, but if Jessica tries to stop Steward from talking to Marion, then she is on my swift-list.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

dr_eirik wrote:What if we are all being set up for the ultimate misdirection? Not only Steward having had nothing to do with Marion's current situation, but he legitimately only sees a young female squirrel that is having a tough time and could use the safety that civilization provides. When he finds out that Marion was human, that only spurs him to help more.

It would be the ultimate fake out.
Well, as yet we still haven't a clue as to how Marion got "squirreled" let alone connect it to Steward/Badger except that he (probably) still has THE COIN......
So, dr, your "Mr-nice-badger" theory is pretty much as plausible as anything else in the speculation pot.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wouldn't mind if Steward was just trying to be genuinely helpful but unfortunately I am getting the feeling it won't end up going that way. :(
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I wouldn't mind if Steward was just trying to be genuinely helpful but unfortunately I am getting the feeling it won't end up going that way. :(
I realize that I'm just covering every possible level of speculation, but I could also see him start off as legitimately helpful only to see an opportunity to either get back at the Miltons.

Who knows? Maybe Steward has gone native, has decided he actually likes being a badger, and his current motives are just unknowable... until we do.