2019/06/28 - Then What Was All That With Grape Eleven Years

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/06/28 - Then What Was All That With Grape Eleven Years

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/06/28 - Then What Was All That With Grape Eleven Years Ago Huh]
Title Text:  "That better not have been directed at me or I'll dangle you out the window" "yes'm"

Unlike Max and Peanut, Jess actually checks.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
bjchan95

Re: 2019/06/28 - Then What Was All That With Grape Eleven Ye

Post by bjchan95 »

The fact Jessica doesn’t even care is the best part :lol:
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Yeah that's gonna be hard to get use to, Marion.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

You do you kiddo
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

AWKWARD. :?

Well now that is out of the way we can move on to bigger and better things like Steward's introduction into this story. Step by Step. Got to go through the motions of storytelling.

Okay, so the silhouette was a bust ( :( ) but there is hope for the future. Maybe. I don't know anymore.

Marion is officially staying at Jess's place. Now maybe we can see the Elaborate Labyrinth that is the Basement. I don't care what it looks like, that is the name now forever more. I have spoken. ;)
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Man, I can't tell a male squirrel from a female one in the real world, and suddenly everyone in the comic is an expert!
D-Rock wrote:Unlike Max and Peanut, Jess actually checks.
Jessica is the only animal that doesn't keep her eyes above the waist.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

He realised what he said as he spoke
but Jess didn’t care one little bit;
one fact to which he’s now awoke
is that Jess doesn’t have the fastest wit.
‘Whatever’ is not any comeback,
but it doesn’t really try to be;
she’s going to cut this little nut some slack
whilst ahem he’s living in her tree.
Jess and Truck are the best he could find,
loyal and loving and helpful to all;
They’ll help him if he sets his nose to the grind…
Now, I wonder when Kix’s mate will call?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Hey, it's a free room, humor her ... we all have to learn to deal with changes, right, kid?

And you did get pie!
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Ah, Jess. Relentlessly practical as always. And Truck, relentlessly helpful.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

bjchan95 wrote:The fact Jessica doesn’t even care is the best part :lol:
She puts up with the Opener cult every day. A female squirrel insisting on male pronouns isn't even a blip on her radar.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

The title and alt-text are just wonderful!
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Now, I wonder when Kix’s mate will call?
Well, that is a good question! When will Kitsune come a-knocking?
NHWestoN wrote:Hey, it's a free room, humor her ... we all have to learn to deal with changes, right, kid?
Ch-ch-ch-changeeees. We all face strange ch-ch-changeeees.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

Frank

Post by Frank »

...really Marion? Being called a squirrel is fine, being told your story is made up without hearing it is fine, having to call the pie thing stealing is fine, and this is the thing that bothers you?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Padgriffin

Post by Padgriffin »

Speaking of which.. yeah. Where's Kitsume?
What do you mean Griffins aren’t cute?
Arvetis

Post by Arvetis »

Frank wrote:...really Marion? Being called a squirrel is fine, being told your story is made up without hearing it is fine, having to call the pie thing stealing is fine, and this is the thing that bothers you?
I don't think it really did. He blushed because the topic immediately drew attention to things that humans aren't used to having... out there. But he was pretty quick to correct her, and stood his ground.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

DID YOU JUST ASSU-
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

30+ residents and there are still free rooms. I'm dubious we'll get an answer, but I'm curious what this place's capacity is.
Frank wrote:...really Marion? Being called a squirrel is fine, being told your story is made up without hearing it is fine, having to call the pie thing stealing is fine, and this is the thing that bothers you?
It's not just how much it bothers him, but the ratio of that over how hard it is to change someone's mind. It's a lot easier to convince someone to use different pronouns than to convince someone your a different species than you look.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Champion Wallace wrote:30+ residents and there are still free rooms. I'm dubious we'll get an answer, but I'm curious what this place's capacity is.
It's not just how much it bothers him, but the ratio of that over how hard it is to change someone's mind. It's a lot easier to convince someone to use different pronouns than to convince someone your a different species than you look.
Plus I imagine it was an automatic response from Marion. And he realised it made him look mad as soon as he said it.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Grape's superpower - exposed.

Too many dumb/modest males. x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Argent

Post by Argent »

"HEY MY EYES ARE UP HERE"
Champion Wallace wrote:30+ residents and there are still free rooms. I'm dubious we'll get an answer, but I'm curious what this place's capacity is.
With Karishad involved, non-Euclidean geometry is just another Tuesday.

Phnglui Mgwlanfth Karishad Rlyeh Wghnagl Fhtagn.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Geartooth wrote:Speaking of which.. yeah. Where's Kitsume?
Either close by or on vacation, probably.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

SeanWolf wrote:
Either close by or on vacation, probably.
Probably both, knowing him.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Eyes up, Marion! We’re trying to keep this comic PG. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Jess can't be bothered to argue the little details.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

I assume from Truck's salute that he know Marion passed "inspection."
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Could almost be reflexive for him. Marion is technically a gender neutral name, but there is a bias toward thinking of it as female. It would make sense that he's used to being in situations where his name is called with some assumption that he's a she. So it becomes reflexive
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Everywhere.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

After a long day of shock and humiliation and bummers, he's got a stomach full of pie, a safe place to stay for a good while, and a place in a group/community who seem like they'll refer to him as he wishes without issue. Real happy and relieved for Marion here.

Now, the question of his room. Will there be a certain badger in there as Marion's roomie, or someone else entirely? Will it be a single-person room that he'll have all to himself so that he has some personal space he can retreat to if need be? Or will this be a two-person room and that other vacancy will be filled later?

I could see the next arc being about Marion going about his day, interacting with the other treehouse denizens, trying to gather possible info about turning back to human, hanging out with Falstaff & Truck some more and building a surprising rapport with them, maybe interacting with one or two of the pets, and then returning to his new (temporary, maybe) home to find that he has a new roommate:

[Marion opens the front door and enters the treehouse, stretching his arms and looking tired after a long day out and no answers.]
Marion: Welp, no luck today...
Jess: No luck with what?
[Next panel shows Jess is leaning against the wall nonchalantly where Marion didn't see her. She's looking at her phone and texting.]
Marion: O-oh! [Marion thinks fast] I went out to try and find some food for myself, but couldn't. [He puts his hand behind his head.] Still having trouble with this whole foraging and scrounging thing. Heheh.
Jess: Gotcha. We still have food here, so don't worry about it. You should grab a bite before heading up to meet your new roomie.
Marion: Wh-what?
Jess: Yeah, she got here a few hours ago. She seemed to be in the same boat as you. Thought it'd be best for her that you'd bunk together. She hasn't come out at all since I sent her that way, so you'd best get her a snack as well.
[Curious and anxious about what Jess meant when she said 'in the same boat as you', Marion quickly scarfs down some food and grabs some of it for his new bunkmate. He knocks on the door and introduces himself to be polite.]
Marion: H-Hi. It's your roommate. I heard you've been cooped up in here for a bit, so I brought you something to eat. May I...?
Roomie: Come in.
[Marion opens the door to greet her.]
Marion: Oh, by the way, my name's Mari-
[Marion has a shocked expression on his face and drops the food. The next panel centers on her; the new bunkmate is a female squirrel like him, wearing a necklace that says " L & M ". Her expression is one of shock and surprise as well.]
[Last panel goes back to Jessica still leaning against the wall, a knowing smirk on her face as she continues to look at her phone and hears both squirrels say at the same time:]
Lois: Marion?!?
Marion: Lois?!?
[To Be Continued]
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Very nice to keep her at home. :) That house must be really big, since there are still some free rooms. :P Ah, yeah, Marion was an human male and still wants to be considered as such, but it's now better to don't give that explaining (except to King, it he'll ever meet him). ;) It's funny to see that for Jessica is all fine. :D Oh, Truck is under her commands, and he must, if he wants to live there. ;)
Huh, the title is referring to this. Well, in that case, it was Peanut to be totally blind at such things. :P
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Jessica - "... the room is free, the humiliation is up to you."

So typical of Rick's talent is how he conveys prepares his punchline with just the slightest nuances in Marion's face and Jessica's eyes. Just another reason to savor this comic strip. ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Who knew that Jessica was so "woke" when it came to being politically correct about somebody who feels and says they are a different gender than what they actually are when meeting them. That is a new piece of information that is intriguing.

And to be clear, I know Marion isn't transgendered but Jessica doesn't.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

What kills me about that "beat" is that not only did Jess look but Marion also had to look just to double or triple check at this point. "Nope, still gone. Still don't know why."
Ash Greytree wrote:After a long day of shock and humiliation and bummers, he's got a stomach full of pie, a safe place to stay for a good while, and a place in a group/community who seem like they'll refer to him as he wishes without issue. Real happy and relieved for Marion here.

Now, the question of his room. Will there be a certain badger in there as Marion's roomie, or someone else entirely? Will it be a single-person room that he'll have all to himself so that he has some personal space he can retreat to if need be? Or will this be a two-person room and that other vacancy will be filled later?

I could see the next arc being about Marion going about his day, interacting with the other treehouse denizens, trying to gather possible info about turning back to human, hanging out with Falstaff & Truck some more and building a surprising rapport with them, maybe interacting with one or two of the pets, and then returning to his new (temporary, maybe) home to find that he has a new roommate:
I'm torn between wanting Steward to be the roommate but I wonder how that works in Jessica's Home for Peculiar Ferals. Feral society is so vastly different would she even think to divide males and females or even care. Would they care that Marion is a female who says he's a male when it came to having a male or female roommate? I can't imagine feral are that concerned and especially Jess. She's already made it clear she doesn't care. He could tell her call me "cotton candy" and she would still be "Whatever, Truck take cotton candy here to one of the free rooms."
Anyway, back to Steward, I mean it would convenient which tells me that it's not going to happen because its way to convenient. Honestly, he might either get his own room or his new roommate would be the partner character. Judging from Jess's "free room" comment, I'm going with a single. I can only imagine what it looks like. Considering Kari probably made it, I'm going to be optimistic and imagine a luxury suite instead of something along the lines of Jess's old den.

Beyond though, I really hope he's not going to hang around but I can see him at least spending the morning trying to get some information from the rest of the residents either about magic transformations or who to talk to in the neighborhood about unusual happenings or even "How not to die!" This is will be how he is going to run into either Kitsune or Steward in my mind. If that is the case then it could take a couple more weeks to get all the steps out of the way. The first night is going to be the hardest. Because again, being changed into a squirrel was incredibly inconvenient on SO many levels. He wasn't even big enough to carry his phone with him even if he didn't get broomed out of the house.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Well let's see, the foxes probably all live together and i'm pretty sure Draig and Craig are not the only ones in the litter, so that's maybe 5 in a single room, falstaff and truck probably bunk together, and I wouldn't be surprised if there's others in there (maybe the other raccoons) so that's maybe 5 more... i could keep going but it's a lot easier to ask "can a regular house have more than 30÷5 rooms?" well yeah, easily. Were they all designed as bedrooms? No, probably not

also, i'm pretty sure Jessica was just looking at Marion's hips. Many people have commented her body looks too... curvaceous to be male
Last edited by Frank on Fri Jun 28, 2019 4:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
shadowlucario50

Titles Are Fun, But Nobody Really Recognizes Them In The For

Post by shadowlucario50 »

Love how even the title points out Grape being thought of as male by all the dogs and cats, while Marion is seen clearly as a girl. Poor, poor Marion.

Also, glad that Jessica's being pretty civil with Marion, even offering him a room. Really a kind soul with a rough exterior.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I’m glad to see Marion got a place to stay and some food. Jessica is beginning to grow on me, I have to admit.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Boys will be boys........Except when they are not.
Ryusuta wrote:DID YOU JUST ASSU-
Not today! Drama Day is on the 30th of February, remember?
I think it means that her 30 or so friends are free to come and go as they please as long as there is vacancy.
Champion Wallace wrote:
Seconded.

OrWasIt.EXE

Post by OrWasIt.EXE »

If Steward does appear down the line within this arc, I wonder if we'll actually see him speak again (as in, speak while he's a badger) or not.
What do you get when you cram a shapeshifter, a dog-dragon, two wolves, a human, a robot, a bear, and a fox into one vessel? (They/Them pronouns)
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

fenrirblack wrote:AWKWARD. :?

Well now that is out of the way we can move on to bigger and better things like Steward's introduction into this story.
you know i'm half expecting rick to hold off on bringing steward in just to be a massive tease since you keep mentioning him. how many years did he spend messing with grapenut shippers before giving us a straight (no pun intended) answer? i can see something similar happening here only on a smaller (not making a pun at marion's expense, i swear) scale.
Capacity: 1 Tree
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Honestly? I can see Rick doing that. :lol:
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
angelmar741

Post by angelmar741 »

I guess you can easily visibly check. Needed to read the first post to get the title though. :P

Also, I'm thinking Kix might be the shadow in the back, as she kind of seems to know what's going on with Pete and the Dragon.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I'm not sure if she does know what is going on so that is something we will have to keep an eye out for since at this point I think she believes they are just her kits.

Also, I REALLY wanna know who the father (or fathers as they look different so they could be half-siblings) of them are. :lol: