2019/06/24 - Twilight Zone Twist

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/06/24 - Twilight Zone Twist

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/06/24 - Twilight Zone Twist]
Title Text:  in fact, never pay attention to anything he's doing unless it involves fire.

"Yeah, you're not the first squirrel we've had."
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Douglas Collier

Re: 2019/06/24 - Twilight Zone Twist

Post by Douglas Collier »

Don’t worry - that’s a book about what to serve squirrels. He’s totally not gonna eat you at some point.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Relax Marion, we all know that SQRL stands for:

Soup
Quinoa
Rice and...
Lettuce
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

IT WAS A JOKE! But it happened anyway. THE COOKBOOK. I warned you Marion. :lol:
How was i right about that but so wrong about the bracelet thing? Rick and I were on the same page with this one. Part of me really hoped it would happen but didn't expect Rick to do the same joke again.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Not that Marion would know this, but Jess's third rule was no predation inside the house, so he should be safe until he goes outside.
The cape comes with the promotion.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Karishad had a dedicated recipe book for about every species when needed.
Champion Wallace wrote:Not that Marion would know this, but Jess's third rule was no predation inside the house, so he should be safe until he goes outside.
Psychological attacks. Scare him outside. Now viable prey.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Douglas Collier wrote:Don’t worry - that’s a book about what to serve squirrels. He’s totally not gonna eat you at some point.
Or was it a book about how to be good a host to squirrels? I can’t remember. Maybe it was both. Been so long since I read that book in an attempt to please Diss.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

So now he’s meeting the Opossum crew;
the fearless leader and the mad mascot.
One will protect him from all around,
and one may play with the insides he’s got…
Meeting Kari is better sooner than later,
because he’s an end to the worst of days.
Amongst the visual spectrum of good and evil
this one Fox is the greyest of all greys.
Jessica trusts him with all the others around,
which has to mean something, don’t you think?
Of course she trusted him after he built the cellar
into which her mighty house might sink.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

A scary thought occurred to me, Kari still knows that Marion was human but simply doesn't care. :twisted:

I bring up the Twilight Zone often, it's nice to see it getting some respect.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Missing necklace is not missing. All that idle speculation ruined! Ruined!!

And Karishad is just being him...
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
Shockey Rai

Post by Shockey Rai »

Kari, NO! Bad fox!
AWOOOOOOO! I'm a Werewolf!
Frank

Post by Frank »

I don't know what everyone's going on about. He clearly grabbed a book with a solid-colored jacket and scrawled this on the back cover
fenrirblack wrote:A scary thought occurred to me, Kari still knows that Marion was human but simply doesn't care. :twisted:
Wouldn't be the first story I read where an animal wants to eat human
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

Another thought, Jessica is a little hard to read here. She doesn't seem to have a problem with Marion, but isn't exactly delighted to see him. Though if he keeps his tail clean, I doubt she'd throw him out.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Now that my weekend speculation is ruined, EXCEPT for the Cookbook somehow, let me try again.

Okay, so Marion has food and Jess is not suspicious of him at all, so that means that Marion will ask to stay the night and be shown into the basement (FINALLY we get to see it) only to discover that it is an intricate labyrinth of Karishad's own design. He has to share a room with Steward OR, now that we know that thirty something ferals live there, Marion's partner character. Whoever Marion shares a room with (if he has to share) will be the essential character to Marion's story. This leads to the question of rather or not Marion will even bother trying to explain his situation to anyone. Before I figured that he would have to either because he needed them to understand why he was there or because it just exploded out of him but clearly neither one of those is going to happen. He has pie and Jess clearly has space for him. I doubt he will even bother bringing it up seeing how so far no one has listened or believed him. That leads me to think that Marion is only planning to stay for the night but ends up getting swept up in some kind of shenanigans come morning. Maybe someone will steal the bracelet and the fact that it was seemingly missing was foreshadowing.
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Oh, so Marion not having his bracelet-necklace in the last strip was an error after all. That's a relief. It was fun speculating about what happened with it, though.

So that's Falstaff & Truck, Jessica and Karishad introduced. Next up is either him getting introduced to the rest of the treehouse folk (that're still awake this time of night; could be well past Craig & Draig's bedtime) and then negotiating for a bunk for the night or longer, or vice-versa and he negotiates first, gets introduced second. Either way, I can't wait to see Marion's first impressions of everyone. They should be pretty funny, until we get to Steward... or he gets introduced to Steward and that's also pretty funny in a neat anticlimax. :lol:

Also, unless Karishad is reading some obscure manga about preparing rodents, the cover to his cookbook is on the wrong side.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Champion Wallace

What did you expect Marion, it to look like the den of a wild animal? Karishad didn't live in the the tree until the temple collapsed, so was the den as clean before that? If you take a step back, this strip is actually addresses some things. Marion does get a cut (pun intended) of the heist. We now have an idea of what type of pie it was. It's hard to tell, but it looks like it could be cherry or marion berry. Regardless, Marion shouldn't be allergic to it. The way Jessica phrases her last sentence means Karishad is so random she doesn't know exactly what he's doing, yet he's so predictable Jessica knows he would be behind her with some sort of sight gag.
dr_eirik wrote:Missing necklace is not missing. All that idle speculation ruined! Ruined!!
Yea, that doesn't make much sense. Excluding the possibility it was an art error, my best guess is Marion took it off and held it in his left hand while running because it was uncomfortable around his neck, but then put it back on when he got inside. It's... not the best of explanations.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Oh snap, that's Ink in the background. That's not good. I thought we had more time before she made her move to recruit him into the Opener Cult. Depending on if she can sell it to him correctly he might believe that Zach could be the savior he needs to change back or if Steward has somehow weaseled his way into the Cult (like I wanted) then he could come into play like that. If Marion makes a cult joke or even refers to it as a cult I will die.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Jun 24, 2019 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
biddyfox

Post by biddyfox »

really good karishad expression in the last panel
Ash Greytree

Post by Ash Greytree »

fenrirblack wrote:Oh snap, that's Ink the in background. That's not good. I thought we had more time before she made her move to recruit him into the Opener Cult. Depending on if she can sell it to him correctly he might believe that Zach could be the savior he needs to change back or if Steward has somehow weaseled his way into the Cult (like I wanted) then he could come into play like that.
She's probably not making any moves yet. Looks more like she was put in the edge of the first panel to give the treehouse a more crowded/bustling vibe to line up with the "Thirty-Or-So" that Jess mentions.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.
Champion Wallace

fenrirblack wrote:Oh snap, that's Ink the in background. That's not good. I thought we had more time before she made her move to recruit him into the Opener Cult. Depending on if she can sell it to him correctly he might believe that Zach could be the savior he needs to change back or if Steward has somehow weaseled his way into the Cult (like I wanted) then he could come into play like that.
I missed that she was there until you pointed it out, but is that really such a surprise? She lives there for Pete's sake. He was just as likely to run into her as Steward. Was there something I was missing that previously eliminated her as an option and made the Marion-Steward meeting destined?
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

If the tree is "home" just to Jess' closest thirty or so friends, does that mean that Steward doesn't actually live there?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

It is kinda strange seeing Marion in this situation. Worlds are colliding again. It has a surreal feeling to it. To me Marion still exists outside of the realm of the pets and the ferals so to see him interacting with them like this feels, again, surreal. Less so with Truck and Falstaff but now that we are getting more high ranking characters its getting serious. Especially the second one. It looks like a weird crossover. Two things that simply don't belong together. I don't know I'm just rambling at this point.

I would seriously love to know what's going on in Marion's head during the first two panels. I feel like he must be feeling awkward being in a treehouse full of ferals and eating pie so causally like it's not a big deal or to be honest, like stepping into the Twilight Zone. Being a squirrel is one thing but to actually be interacting with other animals like this is a big leap from him hanging out at home or in his neighborhood.
Ash Greytree wrote:
She's probably not making any moves yet. Looks more like she was put in the edge of the first panel to give the treehouse a more crowded/bustling vibe to line up with the "Thirty-Or-So" that Jess mentions.
I don't know. It could have easily have been Kari there. As much sense as "background decoration" is it feel like an unnecessary bit of work on Rick's part for her to not be in the next strip. We would have believed Jess without her being there. I could see Ink turn around and her eyes get big as she thinks "Fresh blood." Hands Marion a flyer.
Champion Wallace wrote:
I missed that she was there until you pointed it out, but is that really such a surprise? She lives there for Pete's sake. He was just as likely to run into her as Steward. Was there something I was missing that previously eliminated her as an option and made the Marion-Steward meeting destined?
No, she was always an option but it was so farfetched that I never gave it much thought outside of a joke or two. Steward was always the number one choice so she was not considered as a real option even though her presence was expected. Whatever Ink's role may or may not be is not nearly as important as Stewards potential which is why I focused so much time and energy on him and not her. If nothing else she's a means to an end.
There were some comments about her and the Opener cult back in the earlier days of marion's arc but as Steward became more likely I shifted all my focus to him.
I made a theory last week that it was Ink all along who was responsible for Marion's change and is the real mastermind behind all of this in a ploy to seize power over the forest but it was so stupid that I deleted it not long after.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe it's not a cookbook; it's a novel?
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

That's probably the eviliest face I've ever seen Karishad make before :lol:
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

D-Rock wrote:"Yeah, you're not the first squirrel we've had."
Gbr23 wrote:Relax Marion, we all know that SQRL stands for:

Soup
Quinoa
Rice and...
Lettuce
Champion Wallace wrote:Not that Marion would know this, but Jess's third rule was no predation inside the house, so he should be safe until he goes outside.
D-Rock wrote:Frankly, I wouldn't be surprised at this point if Karishad had a dedicated recipe book for about every species when needed.
Sometimes comic discussion pages low on activity and have forgetabble comments.
And other times, they are full of just too much pure gold!
Frank wrote:Wouldn't be the first story I read where an animal wants to eat human
You talking about newspapers?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:A scary thought occurred to me, Kari still knows that Marion was human but simply doesn't care. :twisted:

I bring up the Twilight Zone often, it's nice to see it getting some respect.
Oh Karishad definitely knows. Jessica chooses to ignore him as more often than not, he probably brings out a new cookbook to scare every newbie prey animal... now Kix on the other hand she probably should give him a proper warning on. If Kitsune isn’t around, I imagine she’d just see something to make her kids stop complaining about always getting Beetle Stew. Also, does Jessica’s little comment mean she considers even Falstaff a close friend?

Also also, just realized from looking back in strips, but doesn’t feel like Karishad would want to do that. He’s the one that suggested to Jessica that she could turn her house into a home for all her friends, which contain most of the most notable of the feral animals
dr_eirik

Post by dr_eirik »

fenrirblack wrote:
I would seriously love to know what's going on in Marion's head during the first two panels. I feel like he must be feeling awkward being in a treehouse full of ferals and eating pie so causally like it's not a big deal or to be honest, like stepping into the Twilight Zone. Being a squirrel is one thing but to actually be interacting with other animals like this is a big leap from him hanging out at home or in his neighborhood.
I suspect it's like being invited to a party where you don't know anyone, you don't want to be there, but there is an reason you need to stay no matter what happens.

It's funny to consider that animals talk in this universe, but so far I get the sense that Marion hasn't interacted with any, at least in the recent past. We're so used to seeing the animal interactions that we don't see how the society is stratified. I'm sure that this isn't the point of this arc, but we may see a peak at that part of this universe.

I made a theory last week that it was Ink all along who was responsible for Marion's change and is the real mastermind behind all of this in a ploy to seize power over the forest but it was so stupid that I deleted it not long after.
At this point, Ink being behind what's going on is as good as any other theory. I could see her digging through the temple ruins looking for artifacts. The idea that she might go into Opener overdrive once she learns Marions history seems pretty solid. Will that be a single comic joke or a major arc plot point? Hard to say.

Funny thing is, I suspect if Marion starts to give over to Ink, Jessica and Zach are both there to snap him back.

EDIT: Is it me, or is the bracelet/necklace bigger in panel two? Like to remind us that it's there? :D
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Don't worry, Marrion, SQRL is the feral's database coding language.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I don’t know, maybe Karishad wants to serve like how a waiter does.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

fenrirblack wrote:Oh snap, that's Ink in the background. That's not good. I thought we had more time before she made her move to recruit him into the Opener Cult. Depending on if she can sell it to him correctly he might believe that Zach could be the savior he needs to change back or if Steward has somehow weaseled his way into the Cult (like I wanted) then he could come into play like that. If Marion makes a cult joke or even refers to it as a cult I will die.
Ink's not here for converts. Ink's here to worship Pie.

On the other paw, waste not, want not. Now she's here...
Saturn381 wrote:I don’t know, maybe Karishad wants to serve like how a waiter does.
Well, he DOES look good in a (painted on) tux.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Why is the book's title on the back?
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CunningFox wrote:Why is the book's title on the back?
Because it's Karishad.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
shadowlucario50

Post by shadowlucario50 »

dr_eirik wrote:Another thought, Jessica is a little hard to read here. She doesn't seem to have a problem with Marion, but isn't exactly delighted to see him. Though if he keeps his tail clean, I doubt she'd throw him out.
With a new animal in the house, she doesn't want to give a bad impression. Knowing her character, she's not going to be extremely friendly. Still, being neutral does give new guests a feeling of ease and gives the environment a more casual feel.

Of course, the insanity within that house hasn't truly started yet...
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Frank wrote:I don't know what everyone's going on about. He clearly grabbed a book with a solid-colored jacket and scrawled this on the back cover
Good point. He's just messing with their heads.
dr_eirik wrote:Another thought, Jessica is a little hard to read here. She doesn't seem to have a problem with Marion, but isn't exactly delighted to see him. Though if he keeps his tail clean, I doubt she'd throw him out.
Jessica doesn't seem delighted to see anyone, ever. She's got a resting possum face.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Argent wrote:
Frank wrote:I don't know what everyone's going on about. He clearly grabbed a book with a solid-colored jacket and scrawled this on the back cover
Good point. He's just messing with their heads.
Jessica doesn't seem delighted to see anyone, ever. She's got a resting possum face.
… and her last tenant acquisitions were Cory's sister, Cassie, and her little … skunks.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Yep, that's the new squirrel in town, hopefully for a smaller time. You're in more than thirty in that house? I'd say that almost everyone live there. :D Impressive. ;) Ah, nice that Karishad is also a good housekeeper, and not only a trouble maker fox. :P Well, Jessica, what he's looking for is not reassuring for Marion, but okay, let's do how you say. :?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

When I saw the book, I thought that it was Kari reading up on how to please a certain maniacal squirrel that we all know, love and are definitely terrified of rather than trying to cook Marion.

That being said: Kari working for Diss confirmed.
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:When I saw the book, I thought that it was Kari reading up on how to please a certain maniacal squirrel that we all know, love and are definitely terrified of rather than trying to cook Marion.
That's the same mistake the people in the TZ episode made. [Apart from the whole squirrel part.]
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, the tenants are starting to gather and, clearly, Jessica's not going to turn Marion into a "flying" squirrel the same way she flung Cory to the Dogs (Mungo and Fox). Apparently, she's not even threatening to eat his tail.

I'm not sure Jessica has "friends". She has Zach and Ink, both whom she loves, then there are all those she just doesn't mash into quivering lumps of protoplasm. Yet.

So, where yet are the more devious members? And who will Marion choose to confide his secret and implore for help?
Buretsu

Post by Buretsu »

Don't worry, it's just a computer software manual.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SQRL