2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Pumkin6
Posts: 66
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:25 am

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Pumkin6 »

Oh, Rick. You tease.
Not what I was expecting at all. I though the last strip would be the last we saw of the K-9s. Guess we now know they're willing to help out wild animals.
Also, I didn't see the forum for the last strip. Did everyone hate on Ralph and want him to die like last time?

User avatar
shadowlucario50
Posts: 55
Joined: Wed Jul 04, 2018 12:07 am

You're Right, Dumb (Good) Idea

Post by shadowlucario50 »

With how level-headed Marion is, I feel like he'll take the chance and ask to speak to Fox, or at least speak to other K9 members. He'll also probably try to follow the K9 around for protection if he manages to convince them not to chase him. Unless he doesn't and get chased up more trees, which is another possibility. Maybe see Grape in one of these trees and force Marion to shell nuts for her.
Placeholder Signature until I come up with something witty.

User avatar
Silly Zealot
Posts: 1756
Joined: Mon Mar 18, 2013 2:48 am
Location: The land of the dulce de leche!

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Silly Zealot »

I am having to repress a laugh seeing Ralph and Kevin being so casual about all the magic craziness.
Xane wrote:Yeah all he would know about is transforming into a hunky husky.
Bad Xane, bad Xane! Someone get me a broom. A big one!
fenrirblack wrote:Dang it, I was sort-of close. I wasn't expecting Marion to be so calm and elegant about the situation. I'm just not funny enough to think in terms of comedy.
Yes, I didn't say anything because I didn't want to be rude, but your dialogue was really missing a punchline. Remember, kids, this is a comic comic!
fenrirblack wrote:It could be fun to have a montage of Marion and ? interviewing pets not unlike King's attempts at finding a babysitter. I can imagine Joey's reaction and him mentioning D&D. And Marion going "NO, not D&D. Real magic."
Yeah! Universe and Unrealities magic! Tooootally different things!

Dumb Joey.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2019, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!

User avatar
HundKatzeMaus
Posts: 725
Joined: Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:31 am

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Close Kevin, close, but still missing the mark :lol:

User avatar
fenrirblack
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm
Location: Place of Evil
Contact:

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by fenrirblack »

I hope farther down the line when most of this has been resolved, Marion and Fox find those two again and explain the entire magic situation so the next time a random animal starts asking about magic transformation(s) they’ll know what to do. They don’t even have to mention King. All Fox has to say is “Next time something like this happens come see me immediately or find Fido’s girlfriend. Actually just go directly to Sabrina, she’ll be more help anyway.”

Thinking about it, I wonder how much Mungo knows. He was hanging out with Sabrina at the end of the Stories of the K9PD arc so he might know something about magic or at least realize that Sabrina could have been useful in this situation.
(Just noticed that one line "Just promise, no more working through your issues on the clock." Oops, oh well.)
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.

User avatar
Ash Greytree
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Gameb18oy wrote: If Rick doesn’t cut a character that’s being presented as smart and level headed in the situation he’s in as Marion is a break soon + doesn’t reference that strip in some capacity, I’m gonna be a little miffed.
Agreed. Seeing a character who's so capable of rolling with the punches like this getting nowhere in his search for answers is disheartening. If Rick's plan for Marion is to wear and break him down so we can see him built back up over time and develop as a character who eventually reaches a happy ending, then that's fine with me. But if the big break that he winds up getting in the near term is "Due to circumstances completely out of your control, you're stuck as a female squirrel for an indefinite period of time and have no answers or positive role-models to help you cope, but at least you have a roof over your head and won't go hungry, right?", that'd be a massive downer.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.

NHWestoN
Posts: 10972
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by NHWestoN »

Still, our canine cops may have missed their first shot, but they do know that Fox - and Mungo - have connections with Tarot and Sabrina. Be not dismayed, friends. Kevin and Ralph will figure it out! Maybe... Sorta... Well, um, how about Keene and Breel? Zach and Jessica?

Okay, Marion, you need to learn how to vault between trees, buddy. These deliberations could take a while!

User avatar
trekkie
Posts: 2543
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 am
Location: Lost in The Delta Quadrant/ New Jersey

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by trekkie »

Marion is really handling the whole situation quite well, also at least he and the K-9s are talking civilly, and there is still the possibility that Fido and Sabrina might make an appearance to help our poor squirrel.
Please state the nature of your medical emergency.

User avatar
Cesco
Posts: 3890
Joined: Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:35 am
Location: Italy
Contact:

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Cesco »

Eh, such bad dog instincts... :P Well, the question is really unusual, and so is that answer, but please, give a chance to Fox, ask also to him! :| Of course, Fox knows something about a such experience, and throught him, will be possible to ask King.Looking ahead how will go for the poor Marion... :?
Image Image
Image
Image

User avatar
Argent
Posts: 5885
Joined: Wed Jan 06, 2010 7:34 pm
Location: Noonkkot <32,64,51>
Contact:

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Argent »

So when they get back to the station with Marion riding on Kevin's head or Ralphs's shoulders... and meet Fido with Spo... oh no, it's catching...
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @

User avatar
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back
Posts: 17202
Joined: Thu Apr 29, 2010 1:32 am
Location: Nephelokokkygia
Contact:

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Sleet »

Cesco wrote:Eh, such bad dog instincts... :P Well, the question is really unusual, and so is that answer, but please, give a chance to Fox, ask also to him! :| Of course, Fox knows something about a such experience, and throught him, will be possible to ask King.Looking ahead how will go for the poor Marion... :?
That would be too easy!
Image
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!

NHWestoN
Posts: 10972
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by NHWestoN »

You all do realize that King will fly into ten thousand colorful and interesting pieces when he confronts another transformation crisis ……… ;)

User avatar
fenrirblack
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm
Location: Place of Evil
Contact:

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by fenrirblack »

One good thing about the fact that Marion can handle himself so well is that if and when this does happen again to some other poor unfortunate soul, Marion will be the one to go to for help instead of King who as we know would handle the situation so well. :roll:

I hope if Marion makes it to college his major will be psychology because after all this he is going to need major therapy. Then Marion can open up a stand like Lucy and charge 5 cents for help and/or therapy about how to deal with this kind of situation.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 16458
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Since Fido is dating Sabrina and was also the one to have knowledge of some of the more cosmic going-ons then maybe if they take him to Fido, he will take him to Sabrina and Tarot and eventually King down the road.

Also, I guess this debunks the rumor that Ralph is the Ward's dog.
Avatar (c) Kahikilani

User avatar
dr_eirik
Posts: 1183
Joined: Sun Jan 06, 2019 1:00 pm

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by dr_eirik »

I just realized, is it odd that Ralph is not actually looking at Marion when he answers? He seems to be looking at Kevin for some reason.

Edit: And I just realized that he's looking at Kevin because Kevin is about to speak.... neverming.
"Say, this is only tangentially relevant, but how many rings is your tail supposed to have?"

User avatar
Champion Wallace
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Sootopolis City penthouse

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Champion Wallace »

Pumkin6 wrote:Oh, Rick. You tease.
Not what I was expecting at all. I though the last strip would be the last we saw of the K-9s. Guess we now know they're willing to help out wild animals.
Also, I didn't see the forum for the last strip. Did everyone hate on Ralph and want him to die like last time?
If you didn't see the last discussion then go look at it yourself. These threads aren't ephemeral.
http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... =10&t=4764
To answer your question though, One person described Ralph as "not the caring type", but overall people were much more favorable towards Ralph. The most heated it got was this (aka not heated).
dr_eirik wrote:
NHWestoN wrote:I'm a little surprised that no one has reacted indignantly to Sargeant Ralph's threat to write up a disciplinary report on poor Kevin for making a pun. What a martinet! Wait'll Karishad hears this!
Frankly, Kevin should be reassigned to dog catcher for the pun.
Silly Zealot wrote:
Xane wrote:Yeah all he would know about is transforming into a hunky husky.
Bad Xane, bad Xane! Someone get me a broom. A big one!
Julia Ward has a broom you might be able to borrow. Last time I saw it it looked pretty big.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Since Fido is dating Sabrina and was also the one to have knowledge of some of the more cosmic going-ons then maybe if they take him to Fido, he will take him to Sabrina and Tarot and eventually King down the road.
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
SeanWolf wrote:I wonder why Kevin didn't mention Fido as isn't he friends with Sabrina (who is familiar with transformations)?
Because, AFAIK, Kevin doesn't know Sabrina is familiar (or, even, A familiar :D ) with transformations so why mention Fido?
The cape comes with the promotion.
Image
Image

User avatar
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles
Posts: 2815
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: The Housepets Forum ^^

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Obbl »

Ash Greytree wrote:But if the big break that he winds up getting in the near term is "Due to circumstances completely out of your control, you're stuck as a female squirrel for an indefinite period of time and have no answers or positive role-models to help you cope, but at least you have a roof over your head and won't go hungry, right?", that'd be a massive downer.
It's best to remember that Rick's main artistic direction for Housepets! has always been "this is a comic about funny animals". If you ever reach a point where a storyline is bothering you because there's a potential for a downer ending, just remember that. ;)
Image

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 16458
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I don't really think that Rick is one for writing downer endings to those who don't deserve it anyway.
Avatar (c) Kahikilani

User avatar
fenrirblack
Posts: 2748
Joined: Sun Jun 03, 2018 10:25 pm
Location: Place of Evil
Contact:

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by fenrirblack »

Ash Greytree wrote:But if the big break that he winds up getting in the near term is "Due to circumstances completely out of your control, you're stuck as a female squirrel for an indefinite period of time and have no answers or positive role-models to help you cope, but at least you have a roof over your head and won't go hungry, right?", that'd be a massive downer.


Downer endings are a matter of perspective. Tragedy is part of storytelling. Through tragedy heroes are born and challenges are overcome.

We've had downer endings in the past. End of Year 8 for starters. End of Year 3 wasn't great either just confusing but that's another whole thing. Depending on your thoughts about Pete End of Year 4 could be considered downer but like I said perspective. But one thing they all have in common is that the story continued not long after it left off and the situation was resolved...eventually in King's case but I honestly am not expecting Marion's squirrel saga to last nearly as long or go the same direction. For starters King wanted and needed to remain a dog but Marion's character arc won't go in that direction because he does have a life to get back to.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed May 29, 2019 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.

User avatar
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles
Posts: 2815
Joined: Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:56 pm
Location: The Housepets Forum ^^

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Obbl »

Eh, point taken. Matter of perspective, cause for me, his new life was an improvement over the old, so I didn't feel down about it personally. But it was still extremely life altering and against his will, so I can see that.
Perhaps an amendment: Rick's storylines work toward emotional closure which he prefers to be uplifting overall even if a part could be considered downer.
Regardless, it's not a good idea to fixate on the possibility of an ending that you will find unsatisfying. If it feels like a bad ending, then it's probably not what the author is going for.
Image

User avatar
Lockely
Posts: 74
Joined: Mon May 13, 2019 1:49 am
Location: Internet
Contact:

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Lockely »

Obbl wrote:Eh, point taken. Matter of perspective, cause for me, his new life was an improvement over the old, so I didn't feel down about it personally. But it was still extremely life altering and against his will, so I can see that.
Perhaps an amendment: Rick's storylines work toward emotional closure which he prefers to be uplifting overall even if a part could be considered downer.
Regardless, it's not a good idea to fixate on the possibility of an ending that you will find unsatisfying. If it feels like a bad ending, then it's probably not what the author is going for.
I've said as much in other threads. I have faith that Rick is going to do Marion's arc justice. It might just be a bumpy road for a bit.
A Curious Coin Conundrum, my little fanfic in the HP Universe.
Avatar art by P-Aei

NHWestoN
Posts: 10972
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by NHWestoN »

Xane wrote:
Obbl wrote:It's best to remember that Rick's main artistic direction for Housepets! has always been "this is a comic about funny animals". If you ever reach a point where a storyline is bothering you because there's a potential for a downer ending, just remember that. ;)
Regardless of King's happiness now, I still consider the end of Wonderful Dog's Life where Pete confirmed he would never be changed back to be a pretty big downer, as well as Kitsune also refusing to. King making up with Fox and getting away from Pete's abuse may have lightened those endings a little bit but it was still "you were forced to change against your will and nobody is ever going to fix it".
Maybe recollection is fuzzed up by this morning's dental extravaganza, Xane, but I do believe you're right that Pete indicated Joel would remain a dog forever. However, at the end of the adventure, Kitsune offered King/Joel the choice of a wonderful life as a restored human or to remain King and continue with Bailey. Joel/King made the decision, ol'nine tails just made it possible. I think...…… :?

User avatar
Amazee Dayzee
Posts: 16458
Joined: Tue Aug 12, 2014 6:24 pm

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Naturally he had to make a riddle out of it also because he didn't tell King which artifact that he was choosing would do what and it was left up to chance. It REALLY would have sucked if he chose wrong and ended up a human again and everybody's memories were wiped.
Avatar (c) Kahikilani

User avatar
Ash Greytree
Posts: 384
Joined: Tue May 21, 2019 4:05 pm
Location: Houston, TX

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Ash Greytree »

Lockely wrote:
Obbl wrote:Eh, point taken. Matter of perspective, cause for me, his new life was an improvement over the old, so I didn't feel down about it personally. But it was still extremely life altering and against his will, so I can see that.
Perhaps an amendment: Rick's storylines work toward emotional closure which he prefers to be uplifting overall even if a part could be considered downer.
Regardless, it's not a good idea to fixate on the possibility of an ending that you will find unsatisfying. If it feels like a bad ending, then it's probably not what the author is going for.
I've said as much in other threads. I have faith that Rick is going to do Marion's arc justice. It might just be a bumpy road for a bit.
This is what I meant. I can't shake the feeling that in the near-term, the only break or reprieve that Marion's going to get is that he reaches a spot where he's safe with food and shelter etc., but the flip-side will be that he has no leads for answers to his predicament nor any positive role-model that can provide him with emotional support. Things will get better for him, and he'll ultimately get a happy ending of some sort, but he'll be in a rough patch for a bit.
With the right community, getting into a webcomic at the beginning of a brand new arc can feel just as enjoyable and rewarding as being there from the beginning.

NHWestoN
Posts: 10972
Joined: Mon Oct 02, 2017 9:09 pm
Location: North of Boston Boy

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by NHWestoN »

"As flies to wanton boys are we to the gods." Shakespeare, mebbee.....

User avatar
Champion Wallace
Posts: 1193
Joined: Fri Feb 23, 2018 4:16 pm
Location: Sootopolis City penthouse

Re: 2019/05/29 - Barking Up The Wrong Tree

Post by Champion Wallace »

NHWestoN wrote:
Xane wrote:
Obbl wrote:It's best to remember that Rick's main artistic direction for Housepets! has always been "this is a comic about funny animals". If you ever reach a point where a storyline is bothering you because there's a potential for a downer ending, just remember that. ;)
Regardless of King's happiness now, I still consider the end of Wonderful Dog's Life where Pete confirmed he would never be changed back to be a pretty big downer, as well as Kitsune also refusing to. King making up with Fox and getting away from Pete's abuse may have lightened those endings a little bit but it was still "you were forced to change against your will and nobody is ever going to fix it".
Maybe recollection is fuzzed up by this morning's dental extravaganza, Xane, but I do believe you're right that Pete indicated Joel would remain a dog forever. However, at the end of the adventure, Kitsune offered King/Joel the choice of a wonderful life as a restored human or to remain King and continue with Bailey. Joel/King made the decision, ol'nine tails just made it possible. I think...…… :?
Pete did a lot of implying back then. His actual words were "Whoever said ANYTHING about changing you back?". King did get changed back, but Pete wasn't laying because technically he never said it wouldn't happen, that was just was a reasonably reading of his statement might indicate. It's important to note the "changing back" didn't happen till 50 arcs later. King got his happy ending in "the end", but there were a lot of "ends" in between.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Image
Image

Post Reply