2019/04/24 - Genius At Work

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/04/24 - Genius At Work

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/04/24 - Genius At Work]
Title Text: imagine his reaction if he actually had a deadline

Well, that sucks.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/04/24 - Genius At Work

Post by Saturn381 »

I think you're going a little overboard Peanut. :lol:
Char89Charizard

Post by Char89Charizard »

Looks like Peanut has finally got himself an Artist/Writer's block.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Twelve whole hours. Wow, you're pretty much done Peanut
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, let’s be honest with ourselves. Show of hands, how many of us can relate to this? ;)

I feel the same way sometimes. This is also my reaction when I’m playing a game online and just am destroyed repeatedly over and over again.

One last thought, it’s good to see them in collars again. I’ve missed that sense of normalcy.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

fenrirblack wrote:Okay, let’s be honest with ourselves. Show of hands, how many of us can relate to this?
This strip is basically my life. Only instead of 12 hours, it's five years. And instead of running off and screaming, it's more crying myself to sleep at night.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Well nice to see we won’t have any more of Spot (superdog) arcs anytime soon (I’m horrible). What’s up with these amazing one-offs? They usually are pretty good, but these feel like plot points that will appear in future arcs. One of King’s Pups making friends with one of the former demigods, peanut having finally hit a wall with his imaginative mind, I bet you the next one-off is gonna show us casually where demon has been this whole time.

Also to the writer’s block, yep, and it sucks when you have papers to write for classes.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

We have eye color again. And all it took was a writer going insane ;). Though Peanut, it's not like the last work of yours we say was that new or original.
The cape comes with the promotion.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I think Peanut missed his bigger crime: Grape's collar

Although I can relate with peanut, it's the distractions that get me :(
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:We have eye color again. And all it took was a writer going insane ;). Though Peanut, it's not like the last work of yours we say was that new or original.
I have a theory these one-offs might be the starts to arcs Rick liked the point of but didn’t think branched out well into full stories, means this strip came back when he was still doing the eye color thing. Hopefully he’s gone back to that though, the eye color adds a lot of cute factor to their faces
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Is someone commenting on me here? - (I doubt it but it's a start line)
On how fast I can scribe these out?
If so they forget I write of what I see;
I’m not the genius that I’m on about.
Frustration is the pain of all writers,
especially those of comedic bent.
Finding a joke for panel 3 is hard
and the pace will never relent.
Grape feels the stress right here
as Peanut is now off his meds;
she needs to calm her boy down
before he drives both off their heads.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Heh, you could always draw the Housepets getting married and having lots and lots of puppies and kit-
Oh, you meant Peanut doesn’t know what to draw... Same applies. :P
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Wikirojo

Post by Wikirojo »

Poor Peanut :( He should get some sleep!

And for all the artists and creators, i know it may be hard, really hard (and I mean, I'm not a content creator yet, but I know I must be prepared) but don't give up! :D
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Clearly this strip is mistagged. Suggested change: Peanut > Rick :P
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Has Peanut tried taking a shower? It works trust me. Maybe even a relaxing bath. If that doesn't work I've always wondered what would happen if you got into a sensory deprivation chamber and tried to come up with ideas.

Who else immediately thought about this? Besides Douglas Collier.
TheSilverFox51

Post by TheSilverFox51 »

I can relate to this on a spiritual level.
Allons-y
bjchan95

Post by bjchan95 »

Why do I feel like Rick is projecting a bit?
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

bjchan95 wrote:Why do I feel like Rick is projecting a bit?
The alt text perhaps?
bravelove

Post by bravelove »

oh mood
Image Image
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

There's the spastic Peanut we all know and love. :lol: Even if he is currently serving as a creative projection for Rick.
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

Hey Rick, you doing ok there? You're not having an anxiety attack from writing are you?
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

don't worry peanut, even if you can't come up with anything new or original you can still write for Hollywood
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Argent

Post by Argent »

Obbl wrote:Clearly this strip is mistagged. Suggested change: Peanut > Rick :P
Yep, it sure looks like an AUTHOR INSERT.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
LunarFox

Post by LunarFox »

Sure looks like it to me! We've all been there, Peanut, we get it... (or should I say Rick?).
You're a wonderful person! You can do this! Yes, you, person reading this!
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Gotta be honest, I know how Peanut feels as I had the exact thing happen to me (minus the freakout)
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
trekkie

Post by trekkie »

I honestly can relate to both Peanut and Grape. I’ve experienced Writer’s block and it is is no fun, and it is easy to get discouraged. Like Grape, I’ve dealt with panicky artists, I had a couple of friends who were art majors in college, and while they never grabbed me, I did feel similar to how Grape feels at the end of this strip.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Just love the little touches Rick adds ... The stuff on the table, Grape's tag askew.

The deepest pit of despair is surely "The Creatiive Dry Hole!"
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Try sleeping on it, Peanut. Working at something for too long when it's going usually never accomplishes anything. Maybe you can take inspiration from your dreams ;)
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Just relax and do something else for a while. Sitting there and worrying about it doesn't help.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Side effect of the pills he was taking?
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Oh, Peanut is in a real crisis... :? Well, he's facing the worst thing an artist can face: the block. :| It can't mean that's the end, Peanut, there will be a more inspiring moment... :roll: And, you've been there sit for twelve hours? Better take a nap now. :P Yeah, good he hasn't a deadline, and that his comics and stories are only for him and Grape.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

For me the most relatable moment was when Peanut said “original”. Originality is incredibly difficult to do because humans will naturally compare things and find connections to works they’ve seen in the past. It’s one of the biggest reasons I avoid writing horror. How many unique spins can you put on a haunted house scenario or monster story? It’s always a big problem in workshops when someone will say “oh, this is just like ______”. I see it on Twitter a lot when someone is complaining about the comments they get for their work and “unoriginal” is always listed. My worse experience was when I wrote an adapted fantasy adventure version of “Goldilocks and the three bears” for one class and one of my peers wrote a horrific review where part it said that it was just a mishmash of different genres and scenarios which technically wasn’t wrong but hurtful and just “so...” it didn’t take away from the story if I layered different elements into it because stories, especially fantasy, can be multiple things.

One other thing, I made a comment the other day on the Slightly Damned discord about “Black Clover” and one guy said something like it’s “a collection of anime tropes”. I don’t care what you think about it because I do like it but saying something is bad because it full of tropes, to me is not a legitimate excuse for saying something is terrible or essentially insulting it to someone who clearly likes it. You can say that about just about anything. It’s how you use the tropes that makes something good or bad. It’s how you work with the characters, the plots, and the emotional brevity that defines a show.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:For me the most relatable moment was when Peanut said “original”. Originality is incredibly difficult to do because humans will naturally compare things and find connections to works they’ve seen in the past. It’s one of the biggest reasons I avoid writing horror. How many unique spins can you put on a haunted house scenario or monster story? It’s always a big problem in workshops when someone will say “oh, this is just like ______”. I see it on Twitter a lot when someone is complaining about the comments they get for their work and “unoriginal” is always listed. My worse experience was when I wrote an adapted fantasy adventure version of “Goldilocks and the three bears” for one class and one of my peers wrote a horrific review where part it said that it was just a mishmash of different genres and scenarios which technically wasn’t wrong but hurtful and just “so...” it didn’t take away from the story if I layered different elements into it because stories, especially fantasy, can be multiple things.

One other thing, I made a comment the other day on the Slightly Damned discord about “Black Clover” and one guy said something like it’s “a collection of anime tropes”. I don’t care what you think about it because I do like it but saying something is bad because it full of tropes, to me is not a legitimate excuse for saying something is terrible or essentially insulting it to someone who clearly likes it. You can say that about just about anything. It’s how you use the tropes that makes something good or bad. It’s how you work with the characters, the plots, and the emotional brevity that defines a show.
I feel like you're reading too much into the strip this time. Its just writer's block. That being said though, I think ironically Peanut has probably had this block for awhile now. The last true comic he made of Spot (Superdog) he ended up tracing from comic books, and his last comic he based off something someone else told him. Shame this is a one off, as of the protagonists, Peanut is the one most in need of development, and this could easily work towards some points of furthering his character growth, figuring out who he ultimately is if you took away something like his hyperactive imagination. Might even go into what traits Peanut has that he feels give him worth, and how he responds when that worth is lacking. Sounds a little serious the way I'm describing it, but I don't feel Rick would do a bad job if he wanted to go down that route.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I have to admit that there are a lot of times I feel like Peanut does where I don't have any original thoughts coming into my head and I feel like that is it and I will never be able to come up with anything new but that feeling eventually passes. Maybe someone should tell Peanut that. ;)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:I have to admit that there are a lot of times I feel like Peanut does where I don't have any original thoughts coming into my head and I feel like that is it and I will never be able to come up with anything new but that feeling eventually passes. Maybe someone should tell Peanut that. ;)
At this point in time, I'm not sure Peanut would listen
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That is true. When Peanut has a panic attack like this, there is no getting through to him.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I hate say this but I think this might be the death of any chance Peanut might have having a career in visual media. :roll:

I also wanted to say that having Peanut run off the screen, screaming like that was a stroke of genius. :lol:
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:I hate say this but I think this might be the death of any chance Peanut might have having a career in visual media. :roll:

I also wanted to say that having Peanut run off the screen, screaming like that was a stroke of genius. :lol:
Until you realize that Peanut's realization is all of this screaming and insanity of doom in his life points him to the obvious answer to his long desiring question, which is to say why is everything so hard?

He's just not panicking enough. He's gotta start writing more screams in his material.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

If he did that, he would be an award winning comic book artist. XD
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

GameCobra wrote:
Until you realize that Peanut's realization is all of this screaming and insanity of doom in his life points him to the obvious answer to his long desiring question, which is to say why is everything so hard?

He's just not panicking enough. He's gotta start writing more screams in his material.
Attachments
Savestate.jpg
Savestate.jpg (48.88 KiB) Viewed 7703 times
Last edited by fenrirblack on Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.