2019/04/17 - Old Habits Die Hard With A Vengeance

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/04/17 - Old Habits Die Hard With A Vengeance

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/04/17 - Old Habits Die Hard With A Vengeance]
Title Text: the moral of the story is: never get involved in a land war in Asia

Look at the bright side; bigger fine. :P
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Gbr23

Re: 2019/04/17 - Old Habits Die Hard With A Vengeance

Post by Gbr23 »

So we're cool? Cool.
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

They are both just victims of their habits.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

The real of the story: just sit down and talk.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

And so ends the strangest five months ever.

I want to point out that Ralph’s statement sounds odd. Twenty grand, is that the original fine for parking the spa or the entirety of everything he listed? If it’s the former then that’s waaay to much for something so minuscule as blocking a public road. It’s been pointed out several times that it’s only supposed be like $500 or so.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Tappy Too

Post by Tappy Too »

I'd just like to say that Ralph's hair in the middle panel looks amazing- What shampoo does he use?

Anyways, you'd think that if anyone would need to learn to be more direct, it wouldn't be Ralph. It's so funny to see Keene reacting to being "in trouble". He also clearly doesn't take the K9PD very seriously.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, Keene's bought off up to judges, he ain't too worried. It's the slammer that scares him.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

The word ‘only’ attached to Twenty Grand
shows what our Ralph thinks of Keene.
As well as breaking the rule of law
his grasp of money is quite obscene.
Ralph could bankroll the K-9 corp
with a succession of these fine fines
when, whilst keeping within the rules,
Keene can’t even see the lane lines.
There’s more to come in their saga;
Ralphs’ war against the billions.
But will they take it seriously
or act it out like vaudevillians?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:And so ends the strangest five months ever.

I want to point out that Ralph’s statement sounds odd. Twenty grand, is that the original fine for parking the spa or the entirety of everything he listed? If it’s the former then that’s waaay to much for something so minuscule as blocking a public road. It’s been pointed out several times that it’s only supposed be like $500 or so.
Fen, unlike the amount of water formerly in the spa (I have a feeling that waters been coming down for awhile), the problem isn’t that deep. I was more worried Rick wasn’t even gonna address it and Keene’s even worse crimes were gonna get ignored, so let’s try and just be glad the arc didn’t end with that happening.
Also, I think the amount Ralph mentioned is what clued Keene in on the fact they needed money and it wasn’t just the fine for the crime
Last edited by Gameb18oy on Wed Apr 17, 2019 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

Yes Keene, why can't you just pay your fines?
Always appreciate The Princess Bride reference in the alt text. A good choice for a moral since it's such a classic blunder, after all.
The cape comes with the promotion.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

There is a lot to unpack with this strip. One being that both Keene and Ralph said that their actions were due to habit. That would imply that they do this quite often. We know that Keene has blown up a building before but how many other times has he done that for it to become a habit of his? Or is he simply referring to his tendency to get in trouble?

The same question goes to Ralph. How many times has be orchestrated pointless sting operations and/or arrested individuals for minor crimes for it to become a habit of his? :?
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

I guess it just goes to show: arcs that live by nonsense, end by nonsense.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Okay, you two ... "Singin' in the rain, jus' singin' in the rain ...."
Champion Wallace

fenrirblack wrote:The same question goes to Ralph. How many times has be orchestrated pointless sting operations and/or arrested individuals for minor crimes for it to become a habit of his? :?
I think a better question would be "How many times has he orchestrated sting operations and/or arrested individuals for it to become a habit of his?" (without the adjectives). The "point" of this sting as it turns out is that Ralph has been met with success in the past enough that it's his default approach. Ralph's previous arrests and sting operations must have had good reasoning behind them because saying he has a habit because he goes overboard and he goes overboard because he has a habit is just plain tautological. The question of what lead to a habit is still an interesting one, though.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Can't believe it's taken me this long to think of this, but between purchases and, as of now, fines, Keene spends a lot of money on a regular basis. My question is: Do the Milton Ferrets actually make any money? Like with investments and stuff? Or is the Milton fortune, vast as it is, a finite resource that isn't replenished despite being spent at a prodigious rate? At some point is it all going to just run out?
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Champion Wallace wrote:Yes Keene, why can't you just pay your fines?
There is a Big Difference between City Fines, and Police fines, that is, Police Fines have a Ceiling Limit of a Thousand Dollars, While City Fines can ramp up to the Millions If the Council demands it.

And remember, The Scene clearly has Keene reading the amount, Before making his choice. It means that the City had billed him a massive Check that Would be hard to pull out of.

Remember, they were willing to give a Few Thousand Dollars to a Single pet on the first week of their fortune... Which makes me Wonder what Daisy did with it... Is she a secret inventor? Because she revealed herself to be quite intelligent...

And on that note, when is Daisy returning? And will it link up what she did with her prize money from So Long ago?
leinglo wrote:Can't believe it's taken me this long to think of this, but between purchases and, as of now, fines, Keene spends a lot of money on a regular basis. My question is: Do the Milton Ferrets actually make any money? Like with investments and stuff? Or is the Milton fortune, vast as it is, a finite resource that isn't replenished despite being spent at a prodigious rate? At some point is it all going to just run out?
Actually, it's more that their Fortune gains are Mostly off-screen.

Remember when Simon stated that he bought stock by Accident, then sold it for Mass amounts of money? Stock that was owned by Thomas Milton?
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Champion Wallace

leinglo wrote:Can't believe it's taken me this long to think of this, but between purchases and, as of now, fines, Keene spends a lot of money on a regular basis. My question is: Do the Milton Ferrets actually make any money? Like with investments and stuff? Or is the Milton fortune, vast as it is, a finite resource that isn't replenished despite being spent at a prodigious rate? At some point is it all going to just run out?
Their inheritance wasn't just cash, but also twelve manufacturing plants in Europe and America and Simon accidentally played the stock market for big bucks (though that last one doesn't appear that sustainable). Theoretically, Steward's job was to keep their bank account full, though it's questionable how much power he really had and he's certainly not overseeing any "investments and stuff" nowadays. Even if it is finite, it's still incredibly large. Keene mentioned renting an entire spa was still pittance to him. It doesn't have to last forever, just as long as their alive.
John-056 wrote:Remember, they were willing to give a Few Thousand Dollars to a Single pet on the first week of their fortune... Which makes me Wonder what Daisy did with it... Is she a secret inventor? Because she revealed herself to be quite intelligent...

And on that note, when is Daisy returning? And will it link up what she did with her prize money from So Long ago?
Back then the ferrets were so esoterically wealthy that it's hard to guess if that bag was filled with $100s, pennies, or Monopoly money. "What Daisy did with her prize" is a question I didn't know I wanted an answer to before.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

And thus ends the spa arc and the return of my good old avatar. :3

That fine is totally a legit fine. Keene should totally pay it. and double it for that new police skate park

Loved the whole spa arcs for the good snuggles and the Rufus and Maxwell and the possible kit~ *dies*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

You know, just watching how Ralph was this entire arc...he kinda reminded me of Barney Fife from The Andy Griffith Show in a way.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Argent

Post by Argent »

The fortune isn't a pile of gold in a money bin, it's businesses and investments, and it can't help but grow. Once a fortune reaches a certain point it's making enough money on its own that everything Keene is spending is just petty cash. About the only really major investment that jumps to mind is the amusement park.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

And in the end, they both were terrible :lol:

I like it that Ralph also does little mishaps like this, shows he isn't so much better than his colleagues :mrgreen:
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The second moral of this story is: never go against a sicilian when death is on the line.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Aw man, this was a Fun arc, just wish it was longer... :(

Seriously though, I hope whatever happened here last week didn't influence Rick's decision to blow up the Spa.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Gosh, look at that downpour … that was one water-logged spa. Keene and Sarge are gonna both have a bad case of the "wrinklies." ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:Aw man, this was a Fun arc, just wish it was longer... :(

Seriously though, I hope whatever happened here last week didn't influence Rick's decision to blow up the Spa.
Nah, it's fine. I'm pretty sure Rick knew the spa arcs lasted longer than they should ~ and for good reason. I doubt Rick will be able to do something like this for a long time.

It was literally fan service at it's finest - now we gotta back to the reality of the comic. Let's remember how fun this was and look back at it in the future sometime :3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CunningFox

Post by CunningFox »

RIP Hot Springs. We had some fun times.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Argent wrote:
The fortune isn't a pile of gold in a money bin, it's businesses and investments, and it can't help but grow. Once a fortune reaches a certain point it's making enough money on its own that everything Keene is spending is just petty cash. About the only really major investment that jumps to mind is the amusement park.
I think Keene actually does know how to make money or at the very least use it responsibly. Despite his flaws and faults he has been shown to be intelligent. He knows how to skirt laws and evade taxes so that's something to say the least. The other ferrets like Rock also are making money through their little schemes. Tiger blew up a building and they made a fortune.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Looks like Keene won't be going to prison after all, and Ralph will be getting his fine from Keene so he doesn't weasel out of it that will be a lot more than the 20 grand he originally had to pay. :mrgreen:
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Ouch. :P So, the fine was low for Keene, but could he the same risk some time in prison? :roll: With his habit he only put his position in worst conditions... :| Anyway, Keene, you could only wait and listen what the officers were going to ask you successively, and the things were probably going to end in a better way for everyone... But then, the authority of an officer hadn't to tell you that was only a matter of money, don't you think, Keene? ;) So, I wouldn't say that's just habit, Ralph. :P
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Argent wrote:
I think Keene actually does know how to make money or at the very least use it responsibly. Despite his flaws and faults he has been shown to be intelligent. He knows how to skirt laws and evade taxes so that's something to say the least. The other ferrets like Rock also are making money through their little schemes. Tiger blew up a building and they made a fortune.
I have to wonder how amazing Mr. Milton was on teaching his ferrets when 4 out of the 6 ferrets seem to be implied actively adding to the wealth they got. I bet he was a real eccentric just based on how much he wanted to give pets rights plus just about everything we saw of him in Keene’s time in heaven. Wonder if we should talk about him sometime in more detail, he’s rarely brought up but he’s indirectly the catalyst for a lot of happenings in Housepets, and I honestly wonder if he kept flirting with Keene’s Mom once they left... dumb theory time, but considering we haven’t seen a pet or regular animal touch the cursed coin yet... well what if Mr Milton started off as a ferret before he found the temple? Unlikely? Yes. Stupid? Yes. But impossible... after reading this whole comic, I hope you guys realize it’s hilarious to assume its impossible
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote: I have to wonder how amazing Mr. Milton was on teaching his ferrets when 4 out of the 6 ferrets seem to be implied actively adding to the wealth they got. I bet he was a real eccentric just based on how much he wanted to give pets rights plus just about everything we saw of him in Keene’s time in heaven. Wonder if we should talk about him sometime in more detail, he’s rarely brought up but he’s indirectly the catalyst for a lot of happenings in Housepets, and I honestly wonder if he kept flirting with Keene’s Mom once they left... dumb theory time, but considering we haven’t seen a pet or regular animal touch the cursed coin yet... well what if Mr Milton started off as a ferret before he found the temple? Unlikely? Yes. Stupid? Yes. But impossible... after reading this whole comic, I hope you guys realize it’s hilarious to assume its impossible
It is interesting to think about Mr. Milton's past actions and how they seem to have created so many of the situations today. I wonder if he's the type of character who planned this ahead of time. Bringing the temple to Babylon Gardens knowing that Pete was there, leaving his fortune to Keene and the others, and leaving little bread crumbs for them all to follow. There is a part of me that would not be surprised if he was teamed up with Kitsune and together orchestrated these events. If this was a different kind of story I would even suggest that they were preparing for something major to happen at the very end of the comic and that all the seemingly unconnected events were somehow weaved together.
If you want an impossible theory how about this: Milton planned to use the temple's power as a weapon to stop some kind of threat from Pandemonium that could destroy the world. To access it he needed to get Pete of the way so he brought the temple to the neighborhood where they were be more than enough options for an avatar (he went with King anyway but that's his fault). With both Dragon and Pete out of commission that left their remaining power ripe for being used by an appropriate vessel, someone pure of heart like a pet. One who grew up in a loving environment where they could thrive without being suppressed by their owners or annoying laws. To ensure that his money would be be wasted he left it to his ferrets knowing that they would continue his work to better animal/human relationship believing that it would be essential to combat the great evil plus his other options sucked. He left the ferrets a vast trove of mystic objects and information they could use to reach the mana in the temple as well as use to combat the evil.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote: I have to wonder how amazing Mr. Milton was on teaching his ferrets when 4 out of the 6 ferrets seem to be implied actively adding to the wealth they got. I bet he was a real eccentric just based on how much he wanted to give pets rights plus just about everything we saw of him in Keene’s time in heaven. Wonder if we should talk about him sometime in more detail, he’s rarely brought up but he’s indirectly the catalyst for a lot of happenings in Housepets, and I honestly wonder if he kept flirting with Keene’s Mom once they left... dumb theory time, but considering we haven’t seen a pet or regular animal touch the cursed coin yet... well what if Mr Milton started off as a ferret before he found the temple? Unlikely? Yes. Stupid? Yes. But impossible... after reading this whole comic, I hope you guys realize it’s hilarious to assume its impossible
It is interesting to think about Mr. Milton's past actions and how they seem to have created so many of the situations today. I wonder if he's the type of character who planned this ahead of time. Bringing the temple to Babylon Gardens knowing that Pete was there, leaving his fortune to Keene and the others, and leaving little bread crumbs for them all to follow. There is a part of me that would not be surprised if he was teamed up with Kitsune and together orchestrated these events. If this was a different kind of story I would even suggest that they were preparing for something major to happen at the very end of the comic and that all the seemingly unconnected events were somehow weaved together.
If you want an impossible theory how about this: Milton planned to use the temple's power as a weapon to stop some kind of threat from Pandemonium that could destroy the world. To access it he needed to get Pete of the way so he brought the temple to the neighborhood where they were be more than enough options for an avatar (he went with King anyway but that's his fault). With both Dragon and Pete out of commission that left their remaining power ripe for being used by an appropriate vessel, someone pure of heart like a pet. One who grew up in a loving environment where they could thrive without being suppressed by their owners or annoying laws. To ensure that his money would be be wasted he left it to his ferrets knowing that they would continue his work to better animal/human relationship believing that it would be essential to combat the great evil plus his other options sucked. He left the ferrets a vast trove of mystic objects and information they could use to reach the mana in the temple as well as use to combat the evil.
Personally, I’m more of a fan of my dumb theory. I feel like I implied it, but if Mr. Milton was a ferret at some point in his life on earth, there’s a chance he was the Milton’s actual Dad alongside their owner... which I didn’t think about, but it would make the inheritance thing make a bit more sense if they were his actual kids... of course that would mean jumping through a lot of loops to explain the extended family, but hey, humans can be adopted too so not like he can be a Milton, just not by blood
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

So long, old friend.
Glad to see the K9s still have their own way of enforcing the law. As they say, if it works~
Champion Wallace

Fen, there's a lot I could say about your theory, buy I'll keep it brief and just say such a plan wouldn't amount to mach anyway since heaven doesn't want the universe getting destroyed either and would have that covered.
Gameb18oy wrote:dumb theory time, but considering we haven’t seen a pet or regular animal touch the cursed coin yet... well what if Mr Milton started off as a ferret before he found the temple? Unlikely? Yes. Stupid? Yes. But impossible... after reading this whole comic, I hope you guys realize it’s hilarious to assume its impossible
ImageTouch.
Plus, not quite Pete said the stipulation was that human hands were never to touch it and so giving someone human hands would be the opposite of what was desired. On top of that, the cursed gold was implied to have come from Mr. Milton himself, so for him to give Pete gold in exchange for being transformed into a human, he would've had to acquire 20 million dollars to spend while he was still a ferret, and society doesn't seem like it would provide that kind of upward mobility for an animal.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

With all of that information, I am going to have to say that there was no way that Henry Milton was ever a ferret and he had turned into one once he got to heaven because he REALLY liked ferrets.

Though him flirting with an ACTUAL ferret in Keene's (and the others) biological mother is kind of a bit disturbing. XD
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Champion Wallace wrote:Fen, there's a lot I could say about your theory, buy I'll keep it brief and just say such a plan wouldn't amount to much anyway since heaven doesn't want the universe getting destroyed either and would have that covered
Forces of evil and complex plots are my go to move when it comes to writing. 8-)
But if Heaven didn't want the world destroyed then it is possible that they would go out of their way to ensure its safety using complex and elaborate methods due to their own inability to interfere.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Of course they are. Aren't you birthed from a place of evil? XD
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:With all of that information, I am going to have to say that there was no way that Henry Milton was ever a ferret and he had turned into one once he got to heaven because he REALLY liked ferrets.

Though him flirting with an ACTUAL ferret in Keene's (and the others) biological mother is kind of a bit disturbing. XD
I ship it, though not like it matters as I doubt they’ll show up soon if ever again
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

If they ever go back to heaven (I’m sure we will before it’s over) then there is a strong possibility of seeing them again and finding out if that relationship went anywhere. I can see Keene’s reaction but more importantly I can see the other character’s reactions if they tagged along. :P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Right now I can just PICTURE the looks of the ferrets when they find out.

Though I am curious what happened to their biological father or if they all have the same. Do ferret litters have the same or can they have different fathers?