2019/02/08 - Beloved Smother

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/02/08 - Beloved Smother

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/02/08 - Beloved Smother]
Title Text: I could be snuggling with barncats right now but noooo

A good parent wants what's best for their kid. Even if it's not with them.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/02/08 - Beloved Smother

Post by Saturn381 »

Poor thing. Now I feel sorry for Maxi even more. :cry:
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Okay, all is right with the world.
Also, THE FEELINGS! :cry:
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Here's to you Rufus

ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

First: Awwww!
Ok, back to commenting.
Rufus is a cat lover, yup. If Rufus is going to smother that annoying kitten, I should hope he at least has the decency to do it lovingly.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

He’s letting down his defences
in this old tale that he relates;
where he gave in to all his fears,
where he gave his life to the fates.
Rufus, always gentle and kind,
holds him tight and dear to his heart;
he knows Max is wrong for the barn,
the kitten just can’t do his part.
Holding him close through the late night
consoling him through all the tears;
making plans like a true friend does;
a friend not spoken of for years.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ah, the stages of earliest childhood - from screaming infant to jabbering toddler. How does anyone survive sleep-deprived parents? Must be love, huh, Rufus......... ;)
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Awwwwwwww.
*snuggles*
AWWWWWWW.
*Maxie tears*
AWWWWWWW. D:
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Awwww Maaaax... so precious, but so sad :'(
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

I wish I could cuddle Rufus too
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

apparently max got an early start on those self esteem and self worth issues that periodically crop up... :| not sure ho to feel about that.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Adorable. Utterly adorable.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Since Max was never officially discharged from his barn duties, Rufus is technically snuggling a barn cat, just in a fatherly way.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Buster wrote:apparently max got an early start on those self esteem and self worth issues that periodically crop up... :| not sure ho to feel about that.
Well, he almost died and he knows it's his fault. I'm guessing he tried fixing them by the time he met Grape, but they started to manifest again. Also, he's a kitten here - they love blaming everything. :3

On a funny note - I'm wondering if Maxwell realized this as he's telling the story? How are Fido, Sabrina, Peanut and Grape handling this part of the story? X3
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

Rick has an absolute knack for creating dialogue that is both naturalistic and humorous - oh, and for knowing how to invoke empathy with a gentle certainty. We see it in A&H Club, and of course we see it in Housepets! too. In just these few short strips I've come to love Rufus for his altruism and generosity of spirit; it seems a shame that such an admirable, relatable character should be fated to play a minor role in the comic (he being a denizen of Heaven these days). Oh well.

Kitten Maxwell is, of course, adorable. I only just noticed that this arc is called 'The Maxwell Thing'; seems like we might not always be getting the arc titles written directly onto the strips any more. No big deal.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Max: "Nobody loves me, everybody hates me, I'm goin' out and eat worms..."

Rufus: "Kitten, everybody loves you, nobody hates you, and if you thought aphids were ICKY …. !"
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Champion Wallace wrote:First: Awwww!
Ok, back to commenting.
Rufus is a cat lover, yup. If Rufus is going to smother that annoying kitten, I should hope he at least has the decency to do it lovingly.
The flavor text is always light canon at best... not that anyone doubts Rufus is a cat lover. I do find it interesting what Rufus said in the second panel though, is he the one that helped Max find his dad/owner?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
Ok, back to commenting.
The flavor text is always light canon at best... not that anyone doubts Rufus is a cat lover. I do find it interesting what Rufus said in the second panel though, is he the one that helped Max find his dad/owner?
I think labeling Rufus as a “cat-lover” is misguided. He strikes me as such an open and caring person who loves everyone and everything (except Coyotes) in the same way. He exists outside species stereotypes and is honestly to mature for those kind of labels. I don’t think it matters what species they are, Rufus would have the same reaction. The way he cares for Max goes past simply “Max is a cat” and more “Max needs him.”

As too the second thing, it would make sense for at the end of this chapter Rufus does have some involvement in getting Max to Babylon Gardens. We suspected that from the beginning but now it is more obvious. How is the question considering how far it is. I wouldn’t be surprised if Earl became unknowingly involved. Unfortunately there is also the possibility that Rick will withhold that information of how Max ended up in Babylon Gardens simply because he finds it unnecessary or wants to save it for another chapter down the line.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Aww, poor kitten, all that must have been traumatic for him... :( Good for you, Max, you learnt the lesson. :roll: Now sleep well, Rufus is going to help you and accept your decision, you'll be in a new place which fits you. :) And yes, that's something unacceptable... How can refuse to snuggle with barncats, indeed? :P
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

fenrirblack wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:
Ok, back to commenting.
I think labeling Rufus as a “cat-lover” is misguided. He strikes me as such an open and caring person who loves everyone and everything (except Coyotes) in the same way. He exists outside species stereotypes and is honestly to mature for those kind of labels. I don’t think it matters what species they are, Rufus would have the same reaction. The way he cares for Max goes past simply “Max is a cat” and more “Max needs him.”

As too the second thing, it would make sense for at the end of this chapter Rufus does have some involvement in getting Max to Babylon Gardens. We suspected that from the beginning but now it is more obvious. How is the question considering how far it is. I wouldn’t be surprised if Earl became unknowingly involved. Unfortunately there is also the possibility that Rick will withhold that information of how Max ended up in Babylon Gardens simply because he finds it unnecessary or wants to save it for another chapter down the line.
Rick has always teased Rufus as a cat lover. this scenario, though, is more akin to a child needing help in this case, and I'm sure Rufus wouldn't obliged any child - even if the joke here is that he'll probably smother Maxie so they can get some sleep x3

Preeeety sure Rufus thinks Max is adorable as well ~ He just wants to sleep, dam ye Tims..
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I just love watching Rufus's expression in the three panels go from annoyed to accepting. It is really nice. Rufus would have made a good father.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Meanwhile...
Grape: Peanut, are you crying?
Peanut: *sniff* I just can't help it. I had no idea.
Sabrina: Geez, talk about over dramatic. Right Fido?
Fido: *quickly looks away and rubs eyes* Yeah, totally.
Grape: Max, why didn't you ever tell us any of this before? It explains so much.
Max: It's a part of my life that I like to keep to myself.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Probably the largest number of animals we had in our house, besides mice, lizards, and the occasional bat, were six - three dogs and three cats. The dominant dog was a border collie who had "appointed" himself as the caretaker of the quadrapeds. For example, he was very solicitous towards the oldest dog who was blind and would follow her when she wandered too close to the stairs. Smiley would keep her from tumbling. The oldest cat had developed a sort of "call" she would use when the two younger cats bullied her or she wanted the dog to accompany her to the backyard. It was both funny and sweet to see him come to her. They'd stand face-to-face and look at each other while the other cats or the younger dog would stop picking on her. Neither of the other cats could or would do that although they all got along fine.

Rufus is sorta like that - he's the farm critter caretaker and everybody's "family". He's not really "cat-lover" - its must that the Barn Cats are part of the family, protecting them is his responsibility, and he's coming know as well are care for them. Same with the horses, cows, humans ... and now a kitten. He's just a high-powered sort who, over the years, has become everyone's wise ol'uncle. But Coyote'd be wise not to mess with him.
anhedral

Post by anhedral »

fenrirblack wrote:I think labeling Rufus as a “cat-lover” is misguided. He strikes me as such an open and caring person who loves everyone and everything (except Coyotes) in the same way. He exists outside species stereotypes and is honestly too mature for those kind of labels.
Exactly right. There are moments just like this in Housepets! that transcend humour, and they always catch me unawares. Rufus seems to be more humane than many real-life humans, which is both disturbing and endearing in equal measure - at least to this human reader!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

The idea that he was a cat-lover came from his original bio which said he might be into cats.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

I would like to cuddle Rufus
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well unfortunately you can't in the present because already crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Well unfortunately you can't in the present because already crossed the Rainbow Bridge.
Rainbow Bridge?
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

fenrirblack wrote:Rainbow Bridge?
The Bifröst, the rainbow bridge into Valhalla. aka, he's dead.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Bandit1990 wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:Rainbow Bridge?
The Bifröst, the rainbow bridge into Valhalla. aka, he's dead.
Oh good, I’m glad someone brought it up. :D

Bifrost: The rainbow bridge leading from Asgard to Midgard. This bridge built of air, fire and, water, was guarded by Heimdall, god of the dawn, whose palace, Himinboirg, was built on top of the bridge.

Valhalla: The hall of the chosen slain or palace of the dead in Asgard. This palace of Odin was situated in the grove of Glasir and was said to have 540 huge doors. The walls were composed of shining spears, the roof of golden shields. The 800 occupants fought and died every day and were revived every night, training to fight on the side of the gods in the final battle, Ragnarok.

Ragnarok: the Final battle the end of the world. this was the battle between good and evil, the battle in which the guards were destined to be defeated by the forces of evil led by Loki after which would come a new beginning and a new guard greater than Odin. After a winter of exceptional severity known as the Fimbul winter, which lasted three years, the Midgard serpent Came out of the sea breathing out poisons and causing great floods; the wolves Hati, Managarm and Skoll finally swallowed the sun and moon; Garm, Fenrir and Loki broke their bonds; the dragon Nidhogg finally ate through the roots of Yggdrasil; the cockerels crew and giant Heimdall blew his hirn to warn the gods that the end was approaching. Loki’s ship landed a force from Muspelhiem (land of fire) and another I'm a loaf of bread with no raisins brought the frost giants from the north. They were reinforced by Hel and Nidhogg and by Surtur And his sons he smashed the BiFrost bridge as they rode over it. In the ensuing battle on Vigdrid plain he gods were defeated. Odin was eaten by the wolf Fenrir ( ;) ); Frey was killer by Surtur, Heimdall by Loki, Ty by Garm, and Thor drowned In the poisoning of the Midgard serpent after he killed it. The evil gods who died in that battle were sent to Nastrond, the good ones went to the highest heaven, Gilmore, while the giants went to their own hall, Brimer.
vulpinator

Post by vulpinator »

It’s sooooooooo cute!!! :cry:
John-056

Post by John-056 »

GameCobra wrote:
Buster wrote:apparently max got an early start on those self esteem and self worth issues that periodically crop up... :| not sure ho to feel about that.
Well, he almost died and he knows it's his fault. I'm guessing he tried fixing them by the time he met Grape, but they started to manifest again. Also, he's a kitten here - they love blaming everything. :3

On a funny note - I'm wondering if Maxwell realized this as he's telling the story? How are Fido, Sabrina, Peanut and Grape handling this part of the story? X3
Actually, I think part of Max's Self-esteem issues may have been related to his relationship with Sabrina, who dumped him for Fido on command from Spirit Dragon.

Knowing Peanut, he's bawling like Franky when he Hears a Sad Story. Hopefully Grape won't be Snarky about it, since This story involves a Member of her family and her Boyfriend. Sabrina... Uncertain. Fido might be wiping his tears.

However, This page tells me that Rufus' Relations with Max was as a Surrogate Father, which actually makes me a little happier, since Max is still a kitten in the Flashback, While Rufus in the Flashback looks to be Similar in age to either present Peanut or Fido... And that Would be disturbing if it were any other form of 'Love'.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Animal protection and welfare groups as well as counselors and pastors of then use the term "crossing the rainbow bridge" as a metaphor for a pet dying and moving on to a better place. It's pretty common as a comforting assertion in the US, at any rate. I was unaware of the Norse antecedents so this exchange has all been very educational for me :)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Yeah that is what I call it though I can't Google it or else I go from (relatively) normal to 5 seconds from a full-on nervous breakdown.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Kinda sweet the way Rufus is dozing off and snuggling Max even while he's warning the kitten about the consequences of continuing his burbling...…….
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think that Max is on the verge of falling asleep anyway.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

NHWestoN wrote:Kinda sweet the way Rufus is dozing off and snuggling Max even while he's warning the kitten about the consequences of continuing his burbling...…….
Yeah, that line does kind of kill the moment slightly. Even if Rufus is not really threatening Max, it sounds sweetly sour in a way. And since Max sticks his face in Rufus's chest anyway, the point is mute.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I doubt that Rufus would really kill him anyway. I'm thinking of it more along the lines of "If you don't stop crying, I will give you something to really cry about."
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:Image
... theres an unintentional parallel I should have seen, but forgot about. Dog parental figures helping raise a cat, end up dying, come back briefly at a later point.