2019/02/04 - Ankle-O-Sore

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2019/02/04 - Ankle-O-Sore

Post by D-Rock »

[2019/02/04 - Ankle-O-Sore]
Title Text: zero fast would occur

I have a mouth, but I cannot scream.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2019/02/04 - Ankle-O-Sore

Post by Saturn381 »

Or maybe he stepped on a pebble and is being over dramatic about it. :lol:
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

so... it’s like 127 Hours but very different
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Poor Max but seriously what is up with that trench or is it a ditch? Is that a thing farmers use to keep the animals from getting away?

Anime crying :roll:
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Shockey Rai

Post by Shockey Rai »

That must taking a lot of willpower to not scream in pain loudly, cause i know i would.
AWOOOOOOO! I'm a Werewolf!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Poor Max! :( *hugs*

And Maxwell bragging about his cleverness x3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Sometimes good words can just fail me,
all hope lost as my body fails.
The mind remains sharp throughout though,
sharing pain on which the body quails
Lying flat on my side or back,
hoping, in truth, just to survive
Doing what I can to ensure
that, when they find me, I’m alive.
Hope, left for dead in a deep ditch,
never seemed more out of place;
if I’m to live to tell this tale
I need to find someone’s good grace.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

fenrirblack wrote:Poor Max but seriously what is up with that trench or is it a ditch? Is that a thing farmers use to keep the animals from getting away?

Anime crying :roll:

It might be, that fence looks like barbed wire, and since Max said he left the farm, that says to me that the trench runs around the outside of a property. A deep trench that runs right to an entanglement is consistent with the static defenses deployed in WW1. It should definitely be effective against your average predators.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

The scavengers started like five feet behind and Max still got enough of a lead Crow lost him. He could've been a track star if it weren't for that ankle (this is why it's important for cats to learn how to land on their feet).
The cape comes with the promotion.
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

fenrirblack wrote:Poor Max but seriously what is up with that trench or is it a ditch? Is that a thing farmers use to keep the animals from getting away?
You ever drive through kansas? There's ditches scarring the landscape everywhere
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

... why in the world would you have the flier searching the low road? He’s clearly more suited for the high road... you know I can see why these two are desperate enough to keep going after a kitten that gave them the slip before if this is how most of their planning goes
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

I hope Rufus or one of the barn cats are nearby because walking back to the Farm is going to suck real bad if that is what he has to do. Not to mention climbing out of that hole.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Gameb18oy wrote:... why in the world would you have the flier searching the low road? He’s clearly more suited for the high road... you know I can see why these two are desperate enough to keep going after a kitten that gave them the slip before if this is how most of their planning goes
May want to give another read.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Elusive lad, isn't he?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

rickgriffin wrote:
You ever drive through kansas? There's ditches scarring the landscape everywhere
I've only ever been past the Mississippi twice in my life and never have I have I been to Kansas because well, it's Kansas.
Champion Wallace wrote:The scavengers started like five feet behind and Max still got enough of a lead Crow lost him. He could've been a track star if it weren't for that ankle (this is why it's important for cats to learn how to land on their feet).
Max and Fox are two characters who do not spend enough time together. Just the two of them in that one scene is like "God, I need to see more of them together." If Rick ever wanted to do an "Incredible Journey" style story Max and Fox are two obvious choices.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

well turns out he just broke an ankle
Riff

Post by Riff »

Gbr23 wrote:so... it’s like 127 Hours but very different
Different in that he doesn't have to cut anything off?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Looks more like he's holding his metatarsus (pastern). His ankle (hock) would be further up the leg.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

I wonder if the little meat that Max would provide is really enough for the two of them :?:
Saturn381 wrote:Or maybe he stepped on a pebble and is being over dramatic about it. :lol:
This was also my first thought when I saw the panels :lol:
Nathan Kerbonaut

Post by Nathan Kerbonaut »

Yikes, that's gotta hurt, and it's making me cringe just looking at it. I hope y'alls pebble theory is right :p

Looks like my small, shallow ditch theory has been obliterated, because what Max has fallen into is quite the opposite.
Stroopwafel_Falafel

Post by Stroopwafel_Falafel »

I think that this is the best comic/comic title/hover text combination we've had in a while.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Been through Kansas a few times - and there are a lot of these ditches around. Not just Kansas, either. The tricky thing about these "cuts", whether man-made made or natural is that you usually don't see them until you're just a few feet from the edge. There's another complication, too. The grasses on the edges often bend down into the cut, obscuring the line of the rim, making the soil looser, and hiding the depth (and contents) of the gouge below. Max is pretty lucky - coulda been lots worse.

Doesn't look like much cover from aerial observation there, I'm afraid.

Yeah, I could go for a Fox-Max adventure. Would still like to see a team of Sasha and Daisy, though.......
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

D-Rock wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:... why in the world would you have the flier searching the low road? He’s clearly more suited for the high road... you know I can see why these two are desperate enough to keep going after a kitten that gave them the slip before if this is how most of their planning goes
May want to give another read.
... never underestimate how stupid you are when you read something when tired
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So this will be the point where Rufus appears and rescues the injured Max right?
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Ankle-O-Sore... Is that a pun on the name of the ever-popular dinosaur, "Ankylosaur" … ? Or maybe I need to take GameBoy's warning about reading when tired a bit more to heart!
Frank

Post by Frank »

Anime tears makes me want to say he should be crying "nyaaa!"
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Aaaah, no, poor clumsy Max... :cry: I can feel his pain. :| Those two don't give up, go away! :x Anyway, Max, you didn't work well neither as kitten. :P Landing on four has never been your speciality. ;) Usually, cats heal fast, so I wish that to him. :) Resist there little Max, you'll be helped... :?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So this will be the point where Rufus appears and rescues the injured Max right?
The next strip should be interesting because we'll see Max's resolve. He can either drag himself out of the ditch or lay there for death to come for him. The question of whether Rufus comes for him is tricky because there is a strong possibility that one he doesn't know Max left, two that Coyote Sam is after him, and three that Max is in that particular ditch. Max would have a better chance of Coyote Sam finding him and pulling him out of the ditch than Rufus. At this point we might have a new character come into the play.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

fenrirblack wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:So this will be the point where Rufus appears and rescues the injured Max right?
The next strip should be interesting because we'll see Max's resolve. He can either drag himself out of the ditch or lay there for death to come for him. The question of whether Rufus comes for him is tricky because there is a strong possibility that one he doesn't know Max left, two that Coyote Sam is after him, and three that Max is in that particular ditch. Max would have a better chance of Coyote Sam finding him and pulling him out of the ditch than Rufus. At this point we might have a new character come into the play.
I’m hoping it’s not a new character, and considering Rick is refusing to truly name Coyote Sam and Crow, I think they aren’t meant to appear after this arc... and considering they’ll be old, it will be easier to dismiss having them come back, unlike stuff like the zoo and the lack of named cats in the comic. Also, I’m really eager for Rufus to become Max’s dog daddy already (or dog father as I’m sure most of you will want to call him) and I wish they were already interacting more.
OdedZeituni98

Post by OdedZeituni98 »

when cats land on their feet, they don't feel pain?
Champion Wallace

NHWestoN wrote:Doesn't look like much cover from aerial observation there, I'm afraid.
It looks like there is a little overhang/mini cave that Max was in to avoid detection.
NHWestoN wrote:Ankle-O-Sore... Is that a pun on the name of the ever-popular dinosaur, "Ankylosaur" … ? Or maybe I need to take GameBoy's warning about reading when tired a bit more to heart!
I think It's supposed to be a pun on the dinosaur.
Gameb18oy wrote:...(or dog father as I’m sure most of you will want to call him)...
I fully support the term "dog father".
OdedZeituni98 wrote:when cats land on their feet, they don't feel pain?
What I was getting at is you're less likely to injure yourself if you land on your feet than if you land on, say, your ankle.
Zesortinge

Post by Zesortinge »

OdedZeituni98 wrote:when cats land on their feet, they don't feel pain?
Just because cats land on their feet, doesn't mean they don't feel pain when they hit the ground. They might just be good at not showing it. Also, Wallace is correct. You are less likely to injure yourself if you land on your feet.
I have ideas and I occasionally put them down.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Pretty sure Rick hinted back in this comic that cats need to learn to land on their feet. And Max is around Grape's age in this comic x3 https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... llar-door/
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:
fenrirblack wrote:
I’m hoping it’s not a new character, and considering Rick is refusing to truly name Coyote Sam and Crow, I think they aren’t meant to appear after this arc... and considering they’ll be old, it will be easier to dismiss having them come back, unlike stuff like the zoo and the lack of named cats in the comic. Also, I’m really eager for Rufus to become Max’s dog daddy already (or dog father as I’m sure most of you will want to call him) and I wish they were already interacting more.
How old do you think they are? Let’s say Max is roughly four in this chapter so we skip forward...let’s say he’s sixteen now. Even if Coyote Sam was eighteen then she would be thirty now. Yep, she would be old. ;)
Yes, the odds of another character popping up is .001% but it would be a interesting way for Max to get out of the ditch like if A gopher showed up or a friendly vulture.
Champion Wallace

GameCobra wrote:Pretty sure Rick hinted back in this comic that cats need to learn to land on their feet. And Max is around Grape's age in this comic x3 https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... llar-door/
First, I already brought that up and linked the strip in my first post on this topic. Second, I'd say it more than just hints at it since the Title Text states "...cats have to learn to land on their feet".
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Champion Wallace wrote:
GameCobra wrote:Pretty sure Rick hinted back in this comic that cats need to learn to land on their feet. And Max is around Grape's age in this comic x3 https://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/20 ... llar-door/
First, I already brought that up and linked the strip in my first post on this topic. Second, I'd say it more than just hints at it since the Title Text states "...cats have to learn to land on their feet".
My bad. didn't see the link. People still asked about it afterwards, though. =P

Also, I recall being mentioned one time alt-text isn't always canon since it's mostly Rick's inner thoughts about the comic. Still might be canon, though. x3
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Argent wrote:Looks more like he's holding his metatarsus (pastern). His ankle (hock) would be further up the leg.
plantigrades don't have a hock, that's a digit grade feature. when have the characters in house pets ever demonstrated digitgrade leg structure?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well...
drawing_legs__definitely_not_exhaustive__by_rickgriffin_d9vsm3n-onlyhalf.jpg
drawing_legs__definitely_not_exhaustive__by_rickgriffin_d9vsm3n-onlyhalf.jpg (207.06 KiB) Viewed 10867 times
Rick drew this a long time ago. It's only half, but it's the relevant half.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Seriously, he actually had to draw a reference to explain the animal's anatomy. I didn't even know these things were actual body parts until tonight (I chose honors Chemistry in high school over Human Anatomy, do I regret it, yes) and never once did I ever question the realism of the characters before. Of all the things I question about the animal's anatomy it definitely wasn't about digitigrade whatever. :?

Housepets, always educational.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Well, one unique thing about Housepets legs is how it sort of "bells out" towards the back. That could be the only real hint of digitigrade legs until Rick decides to make a viewable skeletal structure.