2019/01/25 - World’s Oldest Profession

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Re: 2019/01/25 - World’s Oldest Profession

Post by Gameb18oy »

Obbl wrote:When Rick wrote An Infinitesimally Brief History of Housepets! I'm certain he intended for it to be a supplemental guide to understanding the Housepets! universe, therefore canon. It possible that a few of his ideas on the topic have shifted around, but I think the main disconnects that people see may be interpretational more than any significant change to that history. (i.e. we are not interpreting it quite the way Rick intended and/or his interpretation and implementation of the explored concepts have gained nuances over time that weren't really there in the history)
By the way, what’s the context for him posting that? The stuff before the actual story I just realized doesn’t hard confirm this couldn’t be a story told parallel to Housepets, rather than in the long past history of the comic’s prime universe. Personally, I just have gripes with one argument this story is always used as evidence for, the idea that humans are the only ones smart enough to build societies. Honestly, it’s a really weak argument even if Rick did intend that to be the case as it only brings up one species that didn’t figure out more intelligent ways to survive, and stuff with the wolves at least seem to paint a contrary picture, as quite a large amount of them seem more capable and intelligent than a large amount of the humans in the comic. I’m kinda rambling a bit, but that story bugs me quite a bit.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Gameb18oy wrote:By the way, what’s the context for him posting that?
Rick wrote "An Infinitesimally Brief History of the World" for NaNoWriMo in 2010. It's a story narrated by Sabrina explaining the history of the world in Housepets! from very early history until fairly modern times. However, only three parts were released, for reasons that I don't know, so that's all we've got to go on.
Gameb18oy wrote:Personally, I just have gripes with one argument this story is always used as evidence for, the idea that humans are the only ones smart enough to build societies.
See, this is what I would argue is a misinterpretation. Rick never seems to put mental capacity as the driving reason behind why the humans built strong unified civilizations while the cats persisted in loose hunter societies. Rather, animals are shown to accept things the way they are. The cat king (called "King Sylvester" by Sabrina) even tours the human township and decides that the humans are doing way too much work for little return. When a storm comes through the area that devastates the cat society, King Sylvester goes to see the humans fully expecting that they will have suffered similarly and is surprised to discover that the humans have brushed it off. It's not portrayed as though the cats are not smart enough to do anything, just that the natural order of things is expected to continue, and as long as things remain "good enough" there is no driving force to change. Following the effects of the storm on the cats and seeing the prosperity of the humans even in the face of the storm, Sylvester is persuaded to integrate into human society for the betterment of the cats. That was the tipping point.
The point that Rick draws (through Sabrina) is that hardship is not always a good enough excuse to go through the effort of change, and that animals especially seem to expect that after hard times things will turn around. But the comic also shows that when they do set out to accomplish change, they can do anything they set their minds to. That's at least my interpretation.
7500 BC for reference.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

So, considering the time lapsed, how old are these cats now? They look like the same ones.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

To be fair, Rufus also looks the same age. It might just be hard to show animals looking older.