2018/12/31 - The Only Winning Move

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/12/31 - The Only Winning Move

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/12/31 - The Only Winning Move]
Title Text: or was it?

"But for me, it was Monday."
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
bjchan95

Re: 2018/12/31 - The Only Winning Move

Post by bjchan95 »

Rick really seems to like using the character screaming with mouth open look a lot :3
I'm very active on the Housepets! wikia, I've created a lot of articles and help keep it up-to-date! Come and help support us! http://www.housepetscomic.wikia.com
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Lester is gonna have nightmares tonight. :lol:
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

So Kitsune likes the bard class?
Kinda fitting if you ask me. At least they had a lot of fun it seems :lol:
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

“And this experience has made me a better GM”

-Things Lester won’t say
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Hey Fen, guess who was right about Rick wanting to end the arc by New Years? Also, look how cute and skinny the dorks look when they don’t have their collars
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Well, GK reclaims his rightful place as DM again. Those three are gonna have a grand old time now that he's back in charge...

Where in the Spa are they btw, some kind of Relaxation Bar?
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Aww, I really wanted to see that. It was so short. But I did say that Lester was going to be scarred for life so that’s something. ;)
Maybe next year we’ll get a real story with the nerds but until then I’m going to keep laughing at Lester’s expense. :lol:

Well at least it gave me something to do over the weekend.
Gameb18oy wrote:Hey Fen, guess who was right about Rick wanting to end the arc by New Years?
I really wanted a chapter with Kitsune. One day.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Bard OP, plz nrf.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

Xane wrote:"And how on earth do I know he has nine tails when nobody's looking!?"
Judging by his husky-esque tail I find it utterly hilarious old Kitsune decided to turn himself into a dog for his little play sessions. It's like he wants another layer of role play on his role play.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Husky tails curl, don't they? His hasn't done that.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

So GK's taking over the local gaming group? Guess that means he's sticking around the neighborhood.

(Beat up by a bard, oh the indignity :P )

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

When it comes to playing Great Kidsune
logic is an area mostly Grey
as Lester has found to chagrin,
you don’t let the trickster come in.
He can mangle your worlds to death
before you’ve even taken breath;
he can unfurl all your dark plans,
stop your games and defeat your clans.
He’ll teach you the meaning of power
and it’ll take him less than an hour.
He’s having fun, the little god,
playing with his new games squad.
We know this Kidsune's going far.
He's just joined King out at the spa...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Of course Kitsune played a bard. With their mastery of narrative structure they can rule the cosmos if they don't waste time singing in taverns.
Ruska

Post by Ruska »

This is perfect. Although it would’ve been nice to see it, simply hearing about it paints an awesome picture in my head.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Anyone else concerned that Lester wanted to unleash a hoard of demons to destroy the universe? I mean one there are so many better ways to destroy a universe and bring forth an era of darkness and chaos. two using demons is “Slightly Damned” thing. Tsk tsk, Lester I thought you were better than that. ;)

Honestly that entire summary sounds like something from Warhammer 40K.
Last edited by fenrirblack on Mon Dec 31, 2018 1:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

I see Kitsune likes the best class. Nothing like beating the forces of evil with a flute and some pointed words.
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

fenrirblack wrote:Anyone else concerned that Lester wanted to unleash a hoard of demons to destroy the universe? I mean one there are so many better ways to destroy a universe and bring forth an era of darkness and chaos. two using demons is “Slightly Damned” thing. Tsk tsk, Lester I thought you were better than that. ;)
Three, demon hordes tend to attract a very particular kind of hero.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Anyone else worried that Kidsune is now in close proximity to King?
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Eh, King's a lot more mellow now. Besides, I think he always found GK to be more annoying than threatening.

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
Jakkal

Post by Jakkal »

Hey Joey, Kitsunes eyes are up there. You neck-looker.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

IceKitsune wrote:Oh boy everyone is going to have a fun time. And by fun, I mean most likely terrifying.
See I was right, everyone (and by everyone I mean Lester) had a fun time. (and by fun I mean terrifying)
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:Anyone else worried that Kidsune is now in close proximity to King?
Why...would we be? Kitsune's presence might annoy and/or creep King out but he's never once given King a reason to be actively angry with or fearful of him.
Cody

Post by Cody »

I'm not sure if there's a dedicated area to mention this so I'll just say it here, but Lester is missing his dollar-tag or whatever it is in the last panel x)

Also, I really love the look of Joey without his collar on. I never noticed how skinny it was and how big his head looks thusly in comparison :P
I'm caught in a life and I can't get out
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

It is way too early for me to be laughing this hard.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Bandit1990 wrote:Eh, King's a lot more mellow now. Besides, I think he always found GK to be more annoying than threatening.
Well of course he's mellow. He has the statue in a closet and Kitsune's stopped messing with him.

Actually being in the same hot bath as him with the pups however...
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Cerberusx

Post by Cerberusx »

Watched and listened to some D&D games. As the GM, I'm surprised he didn't pull out every stop to win. But against a God, not surprised. Though, it great too, cause Lester literally lived his whole life in the game and then, probably *Woke Up*
"Living is Hard Dying is Easy"

"The longer you stare into the abyss, the hard it is to find a reasons to turn back."
Castlemight

Post by Castlemight »

D-Rock wrote:Husky tails curl, don't they? His hasn't done that.
Not always actually, when a husky is relaxed the tail is lowered and not curled. I was a volunteer for a shelter that went under due to not enough funds, and a lot of the dogs were depressed, especially the Huskies due to not enough attention and exercise (they loved it when I came around, due to me giving them lots of attention and exercise). The dogs tails were usually not very expressive like normal, sometimes when people visited to look around the dogs would get excited, but their tail will just go limp when the people ignore them. Anyway I digress.

GK is pretty much always relaxed and nonchalant. I also have a different theory as to his dog breed, which is an Australian Kelpie. Then can be that color and their tails can be carried the way GK is carrying his tail.

Sorry for the long post!
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Well, after all that, I hope GK sprung for the pizza. As to choosing the Bard, Lester's tale does have a Shakespearean ring to it.

P.S. Happy 2019 to all!
Champion Wallace

Post by Champion Wallace »

That's... not how Dungeon Master works. The role is often likened to being the god, but it's really quite different. In traditional D&D gods are background characters that many serve as the excuse for why some characters can use magic, though theoretically a sufficiently high leveled party could "pay them a visit". One mistake TSR made was publishing an official rulebook detailing stats for different gods. The issue with the fact that stats existed, even if they were much higher than a player could reasonably achieve, was it demoted the gods from great unknowable things to something that could be compared to, and overcome. After the release of the rulebook, high level parties would then more often try to seek out fights with gods like Kitsune did.

In a sense a DM is godlike because they created the world the game will take place in, but that would be twisting things no more so than saying Res is the God of pridelands because he created that. A DM is more of a narrator of everything the characters would experience but the players must make do with imagining, which includes controlling reverent characters the players aren't. It's not Lester summoning a demon horde, it's Evildoer Von Badguy of the villeins' cult. To use a metaphor, if D&D was Housepets! Tails of Babylon, the DM wouldn't be Nue and Olde, but instead the computer you're running it on. The other job of a DM is arbiter to intemperate the rules. Kitsune "finding loopholes in [Lester's] magic system..." shouldn't amount to anything because it's a DM's right and responsibility to close such loopholes (for example, adding spell modifiers to to a non damaging spell). To be honest though, my tabletop RPG knowledge is limited to D&D; if Lester is playing GURPS, Dungeon World, Fate, or Shardowrun, my information won't be completely accurate, but I would imagine the most important parts would be general enough to carry over.
HundKatzeMaus wrote:So Kitsune likes the bard class?
The Bard class is typically underplayed, not because it's underpowered but because it doesn't look very "cool".
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Anyone else worried that Kidsune is now in close proximity to King?
Ever since Housepets 5000 BC King has known he's often in close proximity to Great Kitsune and he seems to have gotten over it (relatively speaking (well... maybe not, but it's not like meeting here would be worse)).
Cody wrote:I'm not sure if there's a dedicated area to mention this so I'll just say it here, but Lester is missing his dollar-tag or whatever it is in the last panel x)
I'm pretty sure his tag is suppose to look like a Yu-Gi-Oh! card back.

Since no one has made any jokes about it yet, the only winning move is not to play.
The cape comes with the promotion.
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

No one ever listens to me when I say you can never trust a bard main.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Champion Wallace wrote:That's... not how Dungeon Master works. The role is often likened to being the god, but it's really quite different. In traditional D&D gods are background characters that many serve as the excuse for why some characters can use magic, though theoretically a sufficiently high leveled party could "pay them a visit". One mistake TSR made was publishing an official rulebook detailing stats for different gods. The issue with the fact that stats existed, even if they were much higher than a player could reasonably achieve, was it demoted the gods from great unknowable things to something that could be compared to, and overcome. After the release of the rulebook, high level parties would then more often try to seek out fights with gods like Kitsune did.

In a sense a DM is godlike because they created the world the game will take place in, but that would be twisting things no more so than saying Res is the God of pridelands because he created that. A DM is more of a narrator of everything the characters would experience but the players must make do with imagining, which includes controlling reverent characters the players aren't. It's not Lester summoning a demon horde, it's Evildoer Von Badguy of the villeins' cult. To use a metaphor, if D&D was Housepets! Tails of Babylon, the DM wouldn't be Nue and Olde, but instead the computer you're running it on. The other job of a DM is arbiter to intemperate the rules. Kitsune "finding loopholes in [Lester's] magic system..." shouldn't amount to anything because it's a DM's right and responsibility to close such loopholes (for example, adding spell modifiers to to a non damaging spell). To be honest though, my tabletop RPG knowledge is limited to D&D; if Lester is playing GURPS, Dungeon World, Fate, or Shardowrun, my information won't be completely accurate, but I would imagine the most important parts would be general enough to carry over.
HundKatzeMaus wrote:So Kitsune likes the bard class?
The Bard class is typically underplayed, not because it's underpowered but because it doesn't look very "cool".
Ever since Housepets 5000 BC King has known he's often in close proximity to Great Kitsune and he seems to have gotten over it (relatively speaking (well... maybe not, but it's not like meeting here would be worse)).
Cody wrote:I'm not sure if there's a dedicated area to mention this so I'll just say it here, but Lester is missing his dollar-tag or whatever it is in the last panel x)
I'm pretty sure his tag is suppose to look like a Yu-Gi-Oh! card back.

Since no one has made any jokes about it yet, the only winning move is not to play.
Hi, Lester.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
drivernjax

Post by drivernjax »

Lester, there's a reason we have the saying, "Sly as a fox."
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Finally we can see characters without having to hear about how buff they are.

And one of these things is not like the other. Lester, collar off if you're going to stay. I mean sure, you feel vulnerable and possibly even violated seeing as your kill em all GM philosophy was defeated by a bard in less time than it takes to get a pizza, but get with the program.

I have to consider Kitsune running a campaign would be like a next level extreme of what the Pets experienced when Tarot was a full power and they used her as a holodeck. She was after all an avatar for Dragon and Kitsune would be like using the Alpha Source of the same power. (Meaning that Kitsune has power like Dragon, not that he is automatically in charge when not gaming.)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

TeflonCougar wrote:Finally we can see characters without having to hear about how buff they are.
Dallas is looking extra spotty today.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Champion Wallace wrote:Since no one has made any jokes about it yet, the only winning move is not to play.
How about a nice game of Chess?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Aww, I wanted to see the game play out, like in the Pridelands arc. But an "I WAS LAVA" flashback is OK too.
Gameb18oy wrote:Also, look how cute and skinny the dorks look when they don’t have their collars
And of course they're gaming at the spa.
He used to be in King's closet!
Champion Wallace wrote:That's... not how Dungeon Master works.
Kitsune was really the DM all the time. Lester couldn't be, because he doesn't even know the rules of U&U.

But...

Back when we were in college, the DM routed the characters through the college building we were playing in and we decided it was safer if they didn't open the door to the Blue Room and "actually" confront us.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

GK is STILL in King's closet ... and everywhere else! "Demis" get to do that! Wonder what toppings they're having ? (Spa and pizza ... wow.)
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Champion Wallace wrote:That's... not how Dungeon Master works.
Tarot wrote:Heaven-powered stuff will usually reward imagination
I think it's more that this was how Lester viewed the position of the DM in-world, rather than what the position actually is.

TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

One of my player's brother used to get upset with me because I didn't give out XP, I just promoted them to the next level when I figured they had earned it. He needed those numbers!