2018/11/21 - Exciting Happenings

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Re: 2018/11/21 - Exciting Happenings

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Champion Wallace wrote:Can't say that I have heard of "calming treats for dogs". If they're made of hemp or a related product, then does that make it like dog-nip? In that case it's the reverse of a strip from the early days of the comic.
The Cat-nip equivalent for dogs is actually called "Anise", hemp products can be used for both cats and dogs. :)
ImageImageImageImage
Keeshah
Game Master

Post by Keeshah »

Hlaoroo wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:[
... Roo you kinda sound like a vet giving me all this information.

Though I’m kinda delighted that Rick knowing about something most pet owners don’t gives a mild idea of how he takes care of his dog... which weird thought, but never considered if he had any pets. Be odd if he just knows this and currently doesn’t... Dang it now I want to setup the most worthless thread to guess what Rick’s irl dog’s breed is assuming he didn’t get a mutt.
Well, I did get through 3.5 years of veterinary studies before deciding to take a different career path :P Glad to know some of it stuck around. ^^

Work at Walmart now?
:lol:

rickgriffin wrote: He's a rough collie

Mystery solved
how ruff is he!!???
Rav/Ravage (RV) - M - German King Shepard: Str-7 Per-6 End-7 Cha-5 Int-5 Agi-6 Luck-6
Foxy Brown (Zootopia) - M - Coyote/RedWolf: Str-6 Per-7 End-6 Cha-4 Int-8 Agi-7 Luck-4
Oreo (RA) - M - Spotted Skunk: Str-5 Per-6 End-6 Cha-5 Int-7 Agi-8 Luck-5
Frank

Post by Frank »

It's like when the little kid gets into the candy vitamins: the grownups panic, the people who have some idea how vitamins work will say something like "just give him water and he'll be fine", and the kid just feels weird.
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Keeshah wrote:
Hlaoroo wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote:[
... Roo you kinda sound like a vet giving me all this information.

Though I’m kinda delighted that Rick knowing about something most pet owners don’t gives a mild idea of how he takes care of his dog... which weird thought, but never considered if he had any pets. Be odd if he just knows this and currently doesn’t... Dang it now I want to setup the most worthless thread to guess what Rick’s irl dog’s breed is assuming he didn’t get a mutt.
Well, I did get through 3.5 years of veterinary studies before deciding to take a different career path :P Glad to know some of it stuck around. ^^

Work at Walmart now?
As someone who tried to work towards a medical field briefly, I don’t find that joke the least bit funny
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

As someone who’s about to finish his masters degree and be unemployed, I don’t find that funny either. I appreciate the intended humor but I don’t find it funny. Another time and place I would. :?
Housepets! Fan Fiction By Fenrir Black M.A.
There is a price to pay for defying fate.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

As somebody who has been jobless for 3 years and is only just NOW getting social security benefits, I...don't really mind that joke.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

rickgriffin wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote: ... Roo you kinda sound like a vet giving me all this information.

He's a rough collie

Mystery solved
Oh, so King's old D&D partner exists IRL then?
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Buster wrote:
rickgriffin wrote:
Gameb18oy wrote: ... Roo you kinda sound like a vet giving me all this information.

He's a rough collie

Mystery solved
Oh, so King's old D&D partner exists IRL then?
This! This is the best response that we’re gonna get!
Elwood Blutarsky

Post by Elwood Blutarsky »

I like how well drawn that truck is. That's a Peterbilt 379.

This is hilarious that a North American webcomic is doing a "hotsprings episode" like so many anime. How do you even BUY a hot spring?
Hlaoroo
FROSTWOOD FOREVER!

Post by Hlaoroo »

Keeshah wrote: Work at Walmart now?
Nope. In a pharmacy, actually, while I work out what I really want to do with my life.
Walmart actually doesn't exist down her in Australia :P
Frostwood Forever! <3

My RP Characters

Avatar drawn by the amazing ScruffKerfluff!

Argent

Post by Argent »

Elwood Blutarsky wrote:How do you even BUY a hot spring?
Amazon Prime. The Miltons probably have Amazon Double-Prime.
Gameb18oy wrote:Heh, while I like the idea of it being dog-nip, considering it’s Peanut, I’m more of a fan of it being dog adderalll (adhd medication).
Not actually making things better. Adderal is literally meth.

One of the things about ADHD is it gives you what they call a paradoxical response to stimulants. Low doses of stimulants make you calmer and focus better. Different patients have better responses to different stimulants, and in some cases a carefully titrated dose of methamphetamine gives the best results.

Carefully titrated. Doubling the dose doesn't make you twice as chill.

Source: There's a reason my personal furry is a ferret. Though I switched to self-medicating with coffee because there's so much paperwork when you're on Adderal and working at a company that does random drug tests. The extra stress made things worse.

Setting that aside, having hemp-based calming treats for dogs is just a little creepy in a world where they're talking dogs with opposable thumbs and all. I'm surprised Jill didn't explain what they were to Peanut, or maybe she did and he wasn't paying attention because Peanut.

I guess I'll file that with the rest of the Housepets universe Fridge Horror.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

I worked at Walmart after high school. So I'll poke fun at it whenever possible, and I laugh at nearly every Walmart joke.

I was diagnosed with ADHD as a kid. They put me on Ritalin at the time. (clinical name: Methylphenidate) As described above, it was an off-type, low-dosage methamphetamine.

The best way I can describe how it affected me is this: I couldn't "un-focus." I wasn't zombified; just the opposite. I was able to focus on what I needed to do, but after I finished, I couldn't really relax and un-focus until the medicine wore off. So seeing Peanut like this made me worry he was going to overdose; I was thinking Ritalin doggy treats; not hemp-oil treats.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

Argent wrote:
Elwood Blutarsky wrote:How do you even BUY a hot spring?
Amazon Prime. The Miltons probably have Amazon Double-Prime.
Gameb18oy wrote:Heh, while I like the idea of it being dog-nip, considering it’s Peanut, I’m more of a fan of it being dog adderalll (adhd medication).
Not actually making things better. Adderal is literally meth.

One of the things about ADHD is it gives you what they call a paradoxical response to stimulants. Low doses of stimulants make you calmer and focus better. Different patients have better responses to different stimulants, and in some cases a carefully titrated dose of methamphetamine gives the best results.

Carefully titrated. Doubling the dose doesn't make you twice as chill.

Source: There's a reason my personal furry is a ferret. Though I switched to self-medicating with coffee because there's so much paperwork when you're on Adderal and working at a company that does random drug tests. The extra stress made things worse.

Setting that aside, having hemp-based calming treats for dogs is just a little creepy in a world where they're talking dogs with opposable thumbs and all. I'm surprised Jill didn't explain what they were to Peanut, or maybe she did and he wasn't paying attention because Peanut.

I guess I'll file that with the rest of the Housepets universe Fridge Horror.
Considering the Sandwiches at this point have been the best parents/owners, I doubt they didn’t explain it to Peanut, they outright told him why they were getting another pet when they went to the pound (or he’s self aware of his hyperactivity, which would mean he understands at least in part why they give him the treats). And huh, didn’t figure someone would bring that up. My parents still insist I take my pills, and while I don’t think they are having a negative impact, I don’t think they are as significant as they sometimes act like.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

I’m wondering if the pills are something he takes regularly or only when he gets hyper excited. There have been plenty of incidences when he was still overreacting to a situation. Again I don’t own dogs so I don’t know how pet medication works.
Gameb18oy
Game Master

Post by Gameb18oy »

I’m just wondering how Rick is mentally taking this, he clearly didn’t mean the Peanut thing being more than a punchline, but it seems to be the thing we all are focusing on
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Well, the rest of this strip is basically an establishing shot to set up the premise of the arc. There isn't that much to comment on.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
furrygamer793

Post by furrygamer793 »

Aaaaaand, keene is going to ruin everything keene wakes up
Rp characters
Greetings, fellow sapient beings.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Rick is often bemused by what we decide to focus on more than anything. This situation in particular was just Rick overestimating the general readership's familiarity with those hemp based calming treats. Now that he's clarified, it's easier for us to discuss them in the context that he intended
Frank

Post by Frank »

how about that truck then? It looks like a Mack, but has a horizontal bar where the dog should be
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Bandit1990

Post by Bandit1990 »

Someone said earlier it looked like a Peterbuilt.

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.
fenrirblack

Post by fenrirblack »

Gameb18oy wrote:I’m just wondering how Rick is mentally taking this, he clearly didn’t mean the Peanut thing being more than a punchline, but it seems to be the thing we all are focusing on
I was wondering about that myself, sort of. Not as much what Rick thinks as much as the overall premise of that the main focus has been on Peanut even after Rick clarified what he intended. It's still funny to think how Peanut on meds is more interesting than a truck delivering an entire spa. It's like almost all of us been desensitized by any weirdness.

It reminds me of something Kade said once...
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

One of my favorite Anime of all time is Pani Poni Dash. compared to that nuthouse, NONE of the web comics I've read could be considered weird.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.