For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2018/02/19 - That Doesn’t Count

Post by D-Rock »

[2018/02/19 - That Doesn’t Count]
Title Text: can't we only beam up like five or six at a time, anyhow
shh, don't remind them of the rules if there are any

Calm down.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2018/02/19 - That Doesn’t Count

Post by Saturn381 »

I find it cute that Karishad is hugging Mungo's leg.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

There’s one to beam…
no, wait, there’s more;
we’ve added a Fox
we found on the floor.
The Angels we met?
They’re all now staying
and Max isn’t here;
he’s no longer playing.
Get us out of here
and pick up the pace.
The monster’s winning
and survival’s a race….
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

D-Rock wrote:Calm down.
NO TIME FOR THAT

ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Keldor

Post by Keldor »

It's just like a big family trying to order dinner at McDonald's!
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Tarot's starting to look a little:
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I read the demon’s text in the voice of the Borg.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Peanut: No, It's Four per Team. The Angels don't Count.
Hah! Now I remember why I liked ya, Peanut! :lol:

Those guys have been an annoying Load since entering, and they are Still not doing anything!

And before anyone goes on about 'GK knows all' or 'GK already has an idea', the Gods of many a religion were not all knowing or Omniscient! GK is just a Shinto Kami, and a Minor one at best. He would need prayers to do most of his powerful magicks, and that's if we are using 'Kami talk'.

For this case, GK has done nothing but drop cheeky remarks and didn't even bother to throw up a protection spell! He's just the load now, being unhelpful and downright annoying. Tarot even told him to stay out after He didn't help.

And from what I suspect, Rick is trying to pull off a Retcon, to reset the Story. This is something I absolutely hate. Too many comics have done that before, and many, if not all writers, get it into their heads that they can do what they like with it after that happens, like make everything a gorefest.

Look at Marvel, Look at DC. Their comics have declined in Quality after so many retcons. Seriously, one of the Guest Strips played on one such thing that can happen after Retcons. Histories are forgotten, Political Correctness rolls in to ruin Characters, and Back Stories are altered in ways that make characters seem like grade-A Tail-Yankers, or Make them needlessly Gritty and 'Edgy'.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

John-056 wrote:And from what I suspect, Rick is trying to pull off a Retcon, to reset the Story. This is something I absolutely hate.
Don't do this.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Next arc: we zoom out and see that the strip is a book in Peanut's hands. He's showing it to Tarot who compliments him on getting his comic published, then asks "but why did you make me the heavy"? Peanut tugs at his collar and looks worried.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Honestly, the possibility of a retcon doesn't scare me as much the possibility of an Ultimate Nullifier situation. For things to get so bad that there's just no way out of it without resorting to a complete Deus ex Machina. Both figuratively, in the sense of the trope, and literally, in the sense of celestial intervention.
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Argent wrote:Next arc: we zoom out and see that the strip is a book in Peanut's hands. He's showing it to Tarot who compliments him on getting his comic published, then asks "but why did you make me the heavy"? Peanut tugs at his collar and looks worried.
This could explain, why Kitsune is in such a causual form. I think Peanut never met him personally, or did he?
ImageImage
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Obbl wrote:
John-056 wrote:And from what I suspect, Rick is trying to pull off a Retcon, to reset the Story. This is something I absolutely hate.
Don't do this.
If you're referring to me trying to Spread Hate, I am not. As a matter of fact, in the same comment you clipped for that snippet, I explained why I don't like Retcons in general. It feels like the one writing it didn't like how the story turned out and tried to cut everything out to start anew. I have heard people complain about the Celestial Arcs, and frankly, this makes it feel that this is the response.

And honestly, remembering that King only got a relatively happy ending, and Peanut a girlfriend, because of the Celestials, even though I am iffy on how the latter was formed, makes me worried. Great Kitsune showing a lack of care about how literally World Destroying it is, even though he is that world's protector, only seems to hammer that point home.

All he did was joke around and treat it like it was trivial, even though The only thing funny was Tarot's reaction to his Negligance. Other than That, All I can think is, "We got a World Destroying Monster seeking a Cosmic Retcon, and you're not even lifting a finger to help!?"

There are those may say I overthink things, but that's why I stick around. If I can't connect with The characters, if I didn't like anyone in the comic enough to try and see if they are more than they appear, I wouldn't enjoy the comic since I wouldn't feel they are worth my time. I enjoy finding possible breadcrumbs to follow, and thus, want to see what they lead to.

A Cosmic Retcon to pretend the Celestial Arcs never happened feel like a Tail Pull.
Argent wrote:Next arc: we zoom out and see that the strip is a book in Peanut's hands. He's showing it to Tarot who compliments him on getting his comic published, then asks "but why did you make me the heavy"? Peanut tugs at his collar and looks worried.
...Now I'm Imagining Tarot wielding an Absurdly massive minigun and a leather vest. Thanks a bunch. :lol:

BTW, didn't you make this already in a previous comment, of it being 'Another of Peanut's comics?' If so, then he must have become an amazing artist.
leinglo wrote:Honestly, the possibility of a retcon doesn't scare me as much the possibility of an Ultimate Nullifier situation. For things to get so bad that there's just no way out of it without resorting to a complete Deus ex Machina. Both figuratively, in the sense of the trope, and literally, in the sense of celestial intervention.
Yeah... That is an excellent point. The only bright side I would see to that happening is Great Kitsune getting punished for not intervening in The situation when his help was needed The most. A severe demotion would be The lightest I can think of, if it would even stick.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Focus! Focus! Focus! Not you, Karishad...... Rufus, not time for puns ... and why are you standing in the mana porridge? Where IS Breel? Eudoant', do you know where your monsters 'cause a big one's about to be "from here"!
Argent

Post by Argent »

John-056 wrote:
...Now I'm Imagining Tarot wielding an Absurdly massive minigun and a leather vest. Thanks a bunch. :lol:
I was thinking more of a giant anime mallet.

Incidentally, this is how DC's first reboot started. Barry Allen (not yet the silver age Flash) is reading a comic about the golden age Flash (Jay Garrick).
Last edited by Argent on Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Frank

Post by Frank »

Oh no, it's worse than an annihilator, it's Nietzsche!
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

"Everything desirable is temporary, fleeting, pointless, purposeless...."

Pretty much right out of the book of Ecclesiastes

“Meaningless! Meaningless!”
says the Teacher.
“Utterly meaningless!
Everything is meaningless.”

And he's right.
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

John-056 wrote:
leinglo wrote:Honestly, the possibility of a retcon doesn't scare me as much the possibility of an Ultimate Nullifier situation. For things to get so bad that there's just no way out of it without resorting to a complete Deus ex Machina. Both figuratively, in the sense of the trope, and literally, in the sense of celestial intervention.
Yeah... That is an excellent point. The only bright side I would see to that happening is Great Kitsune getting punished for not intervening in The situation when his help was needed The most. A severe demotion would be The lightest I can think of, if it would even stick.
Or maybe Rick could pull a leaf out of Order of the Stick's book and make it so that Celestial intervention of the kind that might be needed is also the kind the gang need to fight as hard as they can to prevent.
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again: Dallas has the most adorable little face ever.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

CanzetYote wrote:I've said it before and I'm gonna say it again: Dallas has the most adorable little face ever.
Well 'spotted'.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

I see, Tarot, The Forgotten is scary. :? But okay, big demon, we got what you said, don't repeat it once again. :P I kinda agree with you, though. ;) Ah, Dallas can do teleporting, but do it right now, doesn't matter how many you are! :P Eheh, that silly fox, it's not the moment to praise Mungo's paws... :D
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

They can't beam them up anyway. The Enterprise raised their shields at the threat.
I don't think he will do that. I trust in him too much as a writer to just wipe things out of the story for no reason.

...Don't prove me wrong... ._.;
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

HAVE I MENTIONED I AM THE FORGOTTEN? I CAN'T REMEMBER.
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Poor Tarot. She looks so scared :'(

Seems Rufus does indeed know how the angel business goes with the mana. good to know! Wonder why he was selected... OoooooooOoooo spooky.

... I highly doubt Rick would do something like a Retcon. Maybe wipe out the celestials, but then we would lose heaven, which would suck.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

A little off the arc here, bur Dallas said the elevator tok him up as far as floor 50.

That means somewhere on floor 50 is access to the elevator and the Temple Crashers could have avoided half the temple if they found it. Just saying.
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

TeflonCougar wrote:A little off the arc here, bur Dallas said the elevator tok him up as far as floor 50.

That means somewhere on floor 50 is access to the elevator and the Temple Crashers could have avoided half the temple if they found it. Just saying.
But what if it goes to the floor A-50? In this case they wouldn't have found it. (I'm confident that there is a reason why Rick started with 'B'.)
ImageImage
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

...another argument against taking the stairs. Stairs lead to adventures (and sore knees).
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Beam up to where?
ImageImage
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sinder wrote:Beam up to where?
Heaven.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
TeflonCougar

Post by TeflonCougar »

Sinder wrote:Beam up to where?
Site to site beams don't necessarily require a physical ship. The idea of the ship could be supported by the Temple and they could move to someplace relatively safe, or at least away from the Source of Power and the Forgotten without entering an actual Transporter Room.

MX682XM wrote:
TeflonCougar wrote:A little off the arc here, bur Dallas said the elevator tok him up as far as floor 50.

But what if it goes to the floor A-50? In this case they wouldn't have found it. (I'm confident that there is a reason why Rick started with 'B'.)
You would also have to be looking for it. It is insanely difficult to find something when you don't know it exists.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ryusuta wrote:They can't beam them up anyway. The Enterprise raised their shields at the threat.
I don't think he will do that. I trust in him too much as a writer to just wipe things out of the story for no reason.

I thought that might be something he was doing to jettison things he no longers likes/considers bloat. However, at this point, it seems pretty unlikely with Tarot getting rid of the one thing that could do it. Though I guess it's still possible if she fails to get rid of the whole mana pool in time? But again at this point, I think that is unlikely as there was plenty of opportunity to do that a while ago if that was the point of this arc.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Maybe it's like a lot of dungeons in Skyrim; go through a massive dungeon, and upon completion in the deepest room, there's a shortcut back to the entrance that was either completely inaccessible from the entrance or locked on one side.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

IceKitsune wrote:
Ryusuta wrote:They can't beam them up anyway. The Enterprise raised their shields at the threat.

I thought that might be something he was doing to jettison things he no longers likes/considers bloat. However, at this point, it seems pretty unlikely with Tarot getting rid of the one thing that could do it. Though I guess it's still possible if she fails to get rid of the whole mana pool in time? But again at this point, I think that is unlikely as there was plenty of opportunity to do that a while ago if that was the point of this arc.
Maybe if it got rid of Tarot herself...

Seriously, though. I really don't think that's where this is leading. He's too talented of a writer to just throw characters under a bus like that. I sincerely think that there's more to this story than being a character recycle bin.
NHWestoN

Post by NHWestoN »

Maybe Kitsune is using forgotten to drag Tarot off to Pandemonium, forcing her and Keene to cooperate in rescuing Breel and then helping Eudoant get the gruesome goat back in its box. Or not....
Last edited by NHWestoN on Tue Feb 20, 2018 8:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
Liam

Post by Liam »

Transporters could beam those small attack shuttles in Nemesis. They can handle a group.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

IF the elevator is accessible from the outside on floor fifty. It may be set up in such a way that you can only exit, not enter, and can only use it if you're already in it.
MX682XM wrote:

Could it have stood for "basement", since they're going downward?
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Naro Rivers wrote: Could it have stood for "basement", since they're going downward?
I don't know. In some strips, Rick wrote e.g. 'Floor B-44' (http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... ing-place/). If B stands fot basement, it would be called Floor Basement 44. Since my first language isn't englisch, I don't know if you actually say that, for me it sounds like saying the same thing twice over.
ImageImage
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

It's common in elevator labeling. The buttons look like:

Code: Select all

7   8   9
4   5   6
1   2   3
B1  B2  B3
So saying, "I'm going to floor B3," wouldn't be too out of the question
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

MX682XM wrote:
Naro Rivers wrote: Could it have stood for "basement", since they're going downward?
I don't know. In some strips, Rick wrote e.g. 'Floor B-44' (http://www.housepetscomic.com/comic/201 ... ing-place/). If B stands fot basement, it would be called Floor Basement 44. Since my first language isn't englisch, I don't know if you actually say that, for me it sounds like saying the same thing twice over.
no the basement = b thing probably is correct, regardless of the gramatical problem it creates. apending a B to the number of any floor in the basement is prety much a standard practice, on this continent atlest.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
MX682XM

Post by MX682XM »

Alright, thanks for the info. Another thing I learned because I read this comic.
ImageImage