2017/08/18 - Dark Dreams Awakened! Spot Vs. The Cyborg!

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2017/08/18 - Dark Dreams Awakened! Spot Vs. The Cyborg!

Post by D-Rock »

[2017/08/18 - Dark Dreams Awakened! Spot Vs. The Cyborg!]
Title Text: it's not canon!!

Come on! It can be the start of an awesome gritty reboot!
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2017/08/18 - Dark Dreams Awakened! Spot Vs. The Cyborg!

Post by Saturn381 »

Well why did you asked to draw your comic in the first place, Peanut? What did you thought was gonna happen? :P

Great job, Neowulf and SuperStar.
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

D-Rock wrote:
"from director Zack Snyder"
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Saturn381 wrote:Great job, Neowulf and SuperStar.
You could say it was...

spot-on parody.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

I... Can understand why Peanut's Mad. Spot (Superdog) is supposed to be a Referance *AhemAhemRipOffAhemAhem.* to Superman. That basically means trying to turn Spot into the Dark Knight, who's ALREADY in the Series, is too much for him.

Not to mention that Joey's trying to ignore the fact that the Cyborg is STILL a LIVING BEING. He's Not a Drone or a Brainwashed Soldier who can't feel pain, he's a Man/Dog with Cybernetic Components. And what's more, if one tries tearing a Limb off a Cyborg, they'd end up killing them Anyway if they do it like Spot (Superdog)'s doing here, since they'd also rip out vital Support Struts that are attached to the Cyborg's Bone Structure, and blood vessels too.

So no matter how Joey Tries to Justify that "He's a Cyborg, so it's okay if he spurts out 'Blood'", he's still having Spot (Superdog) MURDER someone In Full View of the Reader, since the Cyborg would still Die from such a Violent and Horrible injury.

This actually disturbs me as to how Detached Joey seems to be here.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

Honestly I totally sympathize with Peanut in this. If someone took a character of mine and totally changed their personality, made them darker than they are supposed to be in order to pretend to be "realistic," and took away their morality (which is often a big and complex part of my characters) under the guise of making things "complex," I'd flip out. Honestly, has anyone else noticed that gritty adaptations seem to just... flop?
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
John-056

Post by John-056 »

CyberDragon wrote:Honestly I totally sympathize with Peanut in this. If someone took a character of mine and totally changed their personality, made them darker than they are supposed to be in order to pretend to be "realistic," and took away their morality (which is often a big and complex part of my characters) under the guise of making things "complex," I'd flip out. Honestly, has anyone else noticed that gritty adaptations seem to just... flop?
You're not alone. Stories that have proven to be Gritty as Howl end up falling flat on their faces since the theme ends up being too 'Edgy', while also altering a Favored Character's personality to 'Fit' would could issues, like making a Happy-Go-Lucky person into a completely suicidal moron, or a Grim warrior with a heart of gold becoming an Edgy bum who has none of his moralities that made him likeable.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

D-Rock wrote:Come on! It can be the start of an awesome gritty reboot!
that one sentence is the heart of everything wrong with the entertainment industry today. rebooting series that didn't need to be, remaking things that were fine as they were, and 'reimagining' works into forms inferior to their existing ones with broken false realism and unlikable casts.

if you're going to go your own direction, just make your own thing and let it stand or fall on it's own merits. if you're going to revive something old, remake one of the myriad projects that never achieved it's potential the first time around, the ones that actually need it. and for the sake of all if you're using someone else's work, stay true to the source material; because at the end of the day your audience is here for it, not for you.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

I'd say I can't keep up with DC continuity these days but I don't think they have any.

The difference between the Knight and the Alien
is roughly the same as between Night and Day.
One lives in spectacular pitch darkened misery
and the other brings brightest light to the fray.
The reboot and reimagining soils the original vision
and leaves the creators wailing and gnashing.
A glitzy new suit and mood sets the dark tone
that some heroes never should have got.
Grim, gritty and dour might suit Regular Hawk
but, you know what? It sure doesn't suit Spot.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

It's not actually based on Batman nor DC in general.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

SuperStar wrote:It's not actually based on Batman nor DC in general.
Oh, I know. I was just using that as an example because a fair few think that's why the last two Superman films have been so bad. They've made his reality grim and grey and gritty. He hardly laughs. he never smiles. He was told people would use him and he owes them nothing. In sort they've tried to make him a lot more like Batman. And Superman is NOTHING like that. He's the brightest star, not the darkest night. It's out of character. Like how Joey's written Spot.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
SuperStar wrote:It's not actually based on Batman nor DC in general.
Oh, I know. I was just using that as an example because a fair few think that's why the last two Superman films have been so bad. They've made his reality grim and grey and gritty. He hardly laughs. he never smiles. He was told people would use him and he owes them nothing. In sort they've tried to make him a lot more like Batman. And Superman is NOTHING like that. He's the brightest star, not the darkest night. It's out of character. Like how Joey's written Spot.
Injustice Superman.

I've heard a rule that stated that things don't get a reboot if they're doing well. From what I've seen of comics, reboots are incredibly common.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Come on, Peanut! Gritty is in! You'll never get a mediocre movie this way.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
John-056

Post by John-056 »

D-Rock wrote:Injustice Superman.

I've heard a rule that stated that things don't get a reboot if they're doing well. From what I've seen of comics, reboots are incredibly common.
Please Explain Teen Titans Go, then? It's a reboot of a Good Show... That didn't deserve such a horrible Reboot. Not to mention that Cartoon Network seems to want to flood a majority of the Air Times with that Horrible Show.

Teen Titans Go? More like Teen Titans No.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

The character of the cyborg reached a new danger level in Peanut's stories... :? Oh, fortunately it's not a story made by him. :P The atmosphere is cool, so much darker, but yeah, no blood and gore... But, looks like Peanut misunderstood something. :P That's so right, Dallas. ;)
Nice work, Neowulf and Superstar. :D
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

I would like to point out that there is in fact no gore, as the part that Spot attacked was mechanical as well. The cyborg would live through this encounter.
OrWasIt.EXE

Post by OrWasIt.EXE »

'Cause I was born in this pain,
it only hurts if you let it.
What do you get when you cram a shapeshifter, a dog-dragon, two wolves, a human, a robot, a bear, and a fox into one vessel? (They/Them pronouns)
justacritic

Post by justacritic »

Peanut made the mistake of not remembering Joey's preferred genres
CanzetYote

Post by CanzetYote »

I think Joey should apologize to Peanut about it. Poor little cinnamon roll had his superhero creation butchered.
Maryalee

Post by Maryalee »

D-Rock wrote:[2017/08/18 - Dark Dreams Awakened! Spot Vs. The Cyborg!]
Title Text: it's not canon!!

"Awesome gritty reboot" is Hollywoodspeak for "We haven't got a new idea between us so we'll take someone else's hard work and run with it." It's practically NEVER worth the few brain cells that go into it, and it just makes people heartsick for their old favorite who had it's time and will never come back.

I get why people want to believe in reboots. I recently heard that Joe Mallozi was idly musing, just for fun, about how they would go about bringing back SG1 if they wanted to. There's no plans for it, so it was just a fun mental exercise, but JEEZE what a thought it gave me. With the current non-state of SciFi on TV, the thought of the greatest SciFi show in history coming back is magical. But here's the thing: SG1 WAS Richard Dean Anderson, Amanda Tapping, Christopher Judge and Michael Shanks. Bring the package back without the soul...and what would you have? I'm much more interested in the new series coming this fall "Stargate Origins".
This is not the signature you were looking for. *click* Move along.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

John-056 wrote:
D-Rock wrote:Injustice Superman.

Please Explain Teen Titans Go, then? It's a reboot of a Good Show... That didn't deserve such a horrible Reboot. Not to mention that Cartoon Network seems to want to flood a majority of the Air Times with that Horrible Show.

Teen Titans Go? More like Teen Titans No.
doing well artistically, and doing well financially, are not the same thing. Sadly, Cheap stupid gags often sell more merch than good writing.
Maryalee wrote:Bring the package back without the soul...and what would you have?
the first season of SGU, before it started to develop it's own identity and just felt like a BSG ripoff with Stargate window-dressing. and then gets canceled just as it's finally starting to show signs of it's plot actually going somewhere interesting...

Or one of vala's parodies from episode 200.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

I'd just like to say that I would read The Grimdark Adventures of Spot for a long, long time
ImageImage
ImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

John-056 wrote:Please Explain Teen Titans Go, then? It's a reboot of a Good Show.
Teen Titans Go isn't a reboot. It's a spin-off. I'm not saying you have to like Teen Titans Go as I haven't seen to show (though I am sick and tired of people complain about for the millionth time), but at least do your research before you make claims like this.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Saturn381 wrote:
John-056 wrote:Please Explain Teen Titans Go, then? It's a reboot of a Good Show.
Teen Titans Go isn't a reboot. It's a spin-off. I'm not saying you have to like Teen Titans Go as I haven't seen to show (though I am sick and tired of people complain about for the millionth time), but at least do your research before you make claims like this.
Well Excuse me on the Specifics, Princess! :roll:

And the reason I'm ticked off is in the rest of the comment. It's a Bad Show in General, and Cartoon Network seems to want to clog the Air Times with it.

Oh, and while this isn't in my initial comment, it seems the creators don't even want to change the show even a little and keep on churning out the horrible mulch, even starting fights with People who want the show to actually become at least a little Decent. I'm serious. They want to change nothing and would even attack critics even when the latter is being nice and polite.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Play nice, people.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Housepets goes Mortal Kombat.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur