2017/05/03 - We’ve Got To Have Money

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
D-Rock

2017/05/03 - We’ve Got To Have Money

Post by D-Rock »

[2017/05/03 - We’ve Got To Have Money ]
Title Text: no, I will not join you as I do not perceive myself to be evil.

A pretty good strategy; antagonize your target, they'll make more stupid mistakes.

Also, someone tell me the reference for the title? It's bugging me that it feels familiar.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Saturn381

Re: 2017/05/03 - We’ve Got To Have Money

Post by Saturn381 »

Thomas and Celia are coming back! :o
Iceheart

Post by Iceheart »

I knew it. Never trust a guy named Steward.
Krytus The Dreamer

Post by Krytus The Dreamer »

Also, someone tell me the reference for the title? It's bugging me that it feels familiar.
Isn't it from that old tom and Jerry movie the one where they start talking for some reason and befriend a girl that they never see again.

also OMINOUS FORESHADOWING

EDIT: I found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDwIo5_AMo
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

the late great Tony Jay. probably what Thomas Milton's voice sounds like. not sure if he's who's on the phone though.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Rikunda

Post by Rikunda »

Finally this storyline continues! We knew this guy was bad from the last part, now we get full confirmation! Man... Why are they out to kill him... Why are they against animal rights? How come I keep thinking this will reveal what happened to Pete and Dragon?!
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Krytus The Dreamer wrote:
Isn't it from that old tom and Jerry movie the one where they start talking for some reason and befriend a girl that they never see again.

also OMINOUS FORESHADOWING

EDIT: I found it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nXDwIo5_AMo
Possibly.

But I rather think it's from George Harrisons' I got my mind set on you

The secret of Steward is smuggled,
rising to the surface on a hidden tide.
Propelling Keene by denying him
and someone’s covering his hide.
Keene’s enemy grows in power,
and, once again, influences his life;
there’s more to the sabotaged car;
someone’s to blame for his strife.
Will he get the od team together
to go back into the monolith?
Will Grape find out about the feather
and why she’s got it to begin with?
What dark torments await which heroes?
(I’m including the one with glowing toes)
as they descend into the dark
in Pete’s old, loved, play park...
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
guru4567

Post by guru4567 »

I love the title of this arc
CyberDragon

Post by CyberDragon »

The plot thickens! :D
"It's not my job to seek the truth.
It's not my job to pick a side.
It's not my job to judge your sins.
It's my job to save your life."
-Champion Motto

Game Master for Beacon of Hope. The one and only superhero RP! Join here!
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

"In war, best know what enemies are around you in your camp, before you step out to face the foe and wonder why you do so alone."
- Warmaster Slaydo

Those are words Keene should probably heed before he embarks on rash action. He's already survived one assassination attempt by the skin of his teeth.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Sadly, not Temple Crashers 2: Cashment Day.

Unless that's a laughing wolf or hyena on the other side of that line, i'm disappointed in you Steward =P
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Rikunda wrote:Finally this storyline continues! We knew this guy was bad from the last part, now we get full confirmation! Man... Why are they out to kill him... Why are they against animal rights? How come I keep thinking this will reveal what happened to Pete and Dragon?!
In nature, 2 species cannot inhabit the same niche, so when one species begins to move in on a way of living another does, the dominant one will begin to feel intimidated and try to push the other away. They can co-exist, but not to a sudden drastic change for equality in a niche.

In short: a lot of humans probably like the way things are, and prefer their pets stay pets rather than competitors for jobs, land, and resources! It all boils down to money and politics! :P
Keene is going for sudden change, people on the other end of that change don't really like leaving their comfort zone so soon.

EDIT: also, on the Pete and Dragon thing, I feel like that will happen in a way completely unrelated this. They started their lives as mortals not too long ago, they could still be anywhere or any sentient thing. Our best chance of seeing them soon would be if they became cats or dogs, as they age quickly and are quite common in Babylon :)
ImageImageImageImage
RacingCheetahz

Post by RacingCheetahz »

Rikunda wrote:Finally this storyline continues! We knew this guy was bad from the last part, now we get full confirmation! Man... Why are they out to kill him... Why are they against animal rights? How come I keep thinking this will reveal what happened to Pete and Dragon?!
I'd rather like to think that Dragon became Olive.
Naro Rivers

Post by Naro Rivers »

RacingCheetahz wrote:
Except:
It's difficult to wear gloves with webbed fingers...

When talking about a character, I often speak in D&D terms.

I'm participating in a forum game! You can find it here:
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Ok this is going to be far more interesting than I thought. Though I have a feeling that we are not going to find out what is going on with Steward in this arc and that whole thing is going to be saved for it's own arc.
Foreigner

Post by Foreigner »

Naro Rivers wrote:
RacingCheetahz wrote:
Except:
Or would it
My English is bad. Sorry for that.
Legotron123

Post by Legotron123 »

.........Oh, Arceus.
*long rambling of unintelligible Angrish and the occasional naughty word*
This is going to wind up like the last arc about animal rights, isn't it? Incredibly long, occasionally really interesting, but in the end you're left unsatisfied as it fails to answer very important questions AND YES I STILL WANT TO KNOW HOW SASHA WAS BRAINWASHED THAT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU CAN DO IN A WEEKLY LESSON EVERY WEDNESDAY AT FIVE!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!addonetoshowangerisbeingexaggerated1!!!!!!!!!!
Play The Hayseed Knight. This isn’t self promotion, I just really like the game.

You ever realize that the two longest pieces of literature in existence are both fanfics? Weird right?
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

So is no one going to mention the antlers on the wall and how incredibly creepy that would be in the HP universe since deer are sapient? mkay
IronLucario2012

Post by IronLucario2012 »

Not A Furry wrote:So is no one going to mention the antlers on the wall and how incredibly creepy that would be in the HP universe since deer are sapient? mkay
Maybe they were donated? Alternatively, Mr. Milton could have just decided to ask a deer if he could buy their antlers. There are plenty of possible explanations that don't involve murder/dismemberment. And as long as everyone knows that's where they came from, it wouldn't really be creepy.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Legotron123 wrote:I STILL WANT TO KNOW HOW SASHA WAS BRAINWASHED THAT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU CAN DO IN A WEEKLY LESSON EVERY WEDNESDAY AT FIVE!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!addonetoshowangerisbeingexaggerated1!!!!!!!!!!
This.
Not A Furry wrote:So is no one going to mention the antlers on the wall and how incredibly creepy that would be in the HP universe since deer are sapient? mkay
Don't think too much about Housepets or the Fridge Horror will overwhelm you. Also lampshaded to an inch of its life.

Besides, antlers are shed every year: that's more "a wall hanging made of toenail clippings" creepy than a "goblet made from a skull" creepy.

OK, still creepy.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Furryface18

Post by Furryface18 »

Now this is interesting.
There's no place like home...except the Housepets home page.
House42

Post by House42 »

Argent wrote:Besides, antlers are shed every year: that's more "a wall hanging made of toenail clippings" creepy than a "goblet made from a skull" creepy.

OK, still creepy.
Or creepy as in the "Ew, you nasty as" kind as opposed to "This is how I die, isn't it?" kind of creepy
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Uh-oh, Steward isn't the kind of worker he appeared to be... I retire what I said previously about him. :P Are you just a sadist who likes to provoke Keene, or you're someone working undercover for the interests of another person? ;) I agree about use money in the long term, but I see that's still the hard purpose of Keene, which was the dream of his owner. :) It's getting interesting now. :D
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Legotron123 wrote:.........Oh, Arceus.
*long rambling of unintelligible Angrish and the occasional naughty word*
This is going to wind up like the last arc about animal rights, isn't it? Incredibly long, occasionally really interesting, but in the end you're left unsatisfied as it fails to answer very important questions AND YES I STILL WANT TO KNOW HOW SASHA WAS BRAINWASHED THAT ISN'T SOMETHING YOU CAN DO IN A WEEKLY LESSON EVERY WEDNESDAY AT FIVE!!!!!!!1!!!!!!!!addonetoshowangerisbeingexaggerated1!!!!!!!!!!
Now let's consider the possibility that maybe, JUST MAYBE... Housepets! takes place in a cartoon world with subjective cartoon logic and occasionally talks about serious topics :lol:
Oh we talk about it, but considering the other implications of how animals are treated in this universe this is a much more tame thing :P However I do have to question why Keene still allows that to be up there but eh...
ImageImageImageImage
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

the question I have is: Is whoever Steward is working for trying to provoke Keene into making a mistake so animals don't get rights, or are they trying to provoke him to take action sooner so animals do get rights? and if the latter, what nefarious purpose will animals with rights serve for this person? maybe an animal that wants to be president? is it Pete's mortal form?
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:the question I have is: Is whoever Steward is working for trying to provoke Keene into making a mistake so animals don't get rights, or are they trying to provoke him to take action sooner so animals do get rights? and if the latter, what nefarious purpose will animals with rights serve for this person? maybe an animal that wants to be president? is it Pete's mortal form?
I believe it's Thomas and Celia Milton.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

And maybe we'll see them in the hell arc Rick hinted a while ago on twitter
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Saturn381 wrote:
RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:the question I have is: Is whoever Steward is working for trying to provoke Keene into making a mistake so animals don't get rights, or are they trying to provoke him to take action sooner so animals do get rights? and if the latter, what nefarious purpose will animals with rights serve for this person? maybe an animal that wants to be president? is it Pete's mortal form?
Indeed. And I think their nefarious aims have less to do with preventing animal rights and more to do with provoking Keene into doing something reckless that would render the Milton ferrets no longer capable of maintaining the estate and inheritance. Thomas and Celia probably wouldn't even care about Keene's animal rights agenda if he wasn't sitting on top of a fortune that they considered rightfully theirs.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

leinglo wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:
Indeed. And I think their nefarious aims have less to do with preventing animal rights and more to do with provoking Keene into doing something reckless that would render the Milton ferrets no longer capable of maintaining the estate and inheritance. Thomas and Celia probably wouldn't even care about Keene's animal rights agenda if he wasn't sitting on top of a fortune that they considered rightfully theirs.
assuming it was them, animals having equal rights could make it harder for them to get the money. they weren't named in the will, I don't think they have a legal right to it even if the ferrets aren't fit to run the company. but if Keene messes up his campaign for equal rights, it may lead courts to rule that animals are not entitled to any inheritance even if the deceased wants to give it to them, and that the money and company should go to the next of kin, Thomas and Celia.
I'm still not 100% sure who it is. they're probably more likely but Rick can be tricky sometimes
Paradigm Shift by me
RP character sheets
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Hooved animals seem to be mostly not sapient.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

Sleet wrote:
debatable, cows are certainly dumb, but thanks to peanut and zach, we've seen both horses and deer talk.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Sleet wrote:
I don't know, cows and horses may be outliers in sapience. I've seen bipedal ungulates in the comic before, though the most immediate example I can bring to mind is the gazelle waiter in first panel here:
And that's close enough to a deer to assume that those would bipedal as well. Can anyone remember a time when we've seen a proper deer among the forest animals?
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

first and last panels. deer are definitely quadrupeds, and capable of speech.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Yep, all instances of deer are quadrupedal. All one, two, three of them.

I presume that one is bipedal, leinglo, because Heaven.
leinglo

Post by leinglo »

Obbl wrote:I presume that one is bipedal, leinglo, because Heaven.
I had a feeling along those lines myself, to be perfectly honest. When even Mr. Milton can be a Ferret up there, it's probably a bad example for physical forms.
John-056

Post by John-056 »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
leinglo wrote:
Saturn381 wrote: I believe it's Thomas and Celia Milton.
assuming it was them, animals having equal rights could make it harder for them to get the money. they weren't named in the will, I don't think they have a legal right to it even if the ferrets aren't fit to run the company. but if Keene messes up his campaign for equal rights, it may lead courts to rule that animals are not entitled to any inheritance even if the deceased wants to give it to them, and that the money and company should go to the next of kin, Thomas and Celia.
I'm still not 100% sure who it is. they're probably more likely but Rick can be tricky sometimes
I doubt it. Thomas would want nothing to do with the Ferrets, even if he is there, Celia WON'T be appearing. She betrayed him once, and he proclaimed it would be 'The Last Time he'd work with her'. So if Celia is the mastermind, she would be working with strangers rather than her brother, and Vice Versa for Thomas.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

I wonder if the temple is going to look any different from the last time they visited it
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
John-056

Post by John-056 »

Gbr23 wrote:I wonder if the temple is going to look any different from the last time they visited it
It's changed twice, once being a dark void with a pool in the center, and later, being a full on Temple that's Bigger on the inside than it is on the outside.

Frankly though, Keene's plan is no different from Satau's time, where 'Pets' worked alongside humans. However, the humans now don't want to share the rights, so their plan to stop Keene would likely end up causing more problems in future.

Likely on Mankind Divided's Level.
On the next... Wire in the Blood...
HSDVGDGFWGFWHGVMBHGWY*Ded*