2016/12/23 - Time Skip

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Argent

Re: 2016/12/23 - Time Skip

Post by Argent »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:You do realize that if Fox were to get with one of the two huskies, he'd literally have to DIE, right?
Long distance relationships are a thing.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

The thing about having long story arcs that skip over months is that you skip over many portions in what is supposed to be a slice of life comic. It's like being at a pie eating festival where, instead of trying small slices of every pie, we get to eat a whole pie - but miss the opportunity to try several others while we're eating it. At least this pie was pretty good, but hopefully there are some left over crumbs from the other pies we missed.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Not A Furry

Post by Not A Furry »

Argent wrote:
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:You do realize that if Fox were to get with one of the two huskies, he'd literally have to DIE, right?
No they're not, voice of experience talking.
Fee Radikal

Post by Fee Radikal »

It's Mungo. No way is there another character in the cast who's that articulate about being too strong for his own good.

He's probably there to do a retrospective expositional wrapup chat with Fox, who has already had over three months with his new partner and whom we will almost certainly meet in media res.

There is absolutely no question as to who the new partner will be, though. Strong, focused, optimistic, and wise in ways many don't suspect... the perfect partner for Fox.

"Hi! I'm Daisy!"

:mrgreen:

Fee
--
Fee Radikal
virtual wolf on Second Life
(feel free to say hello)
Fish Preferred

Post by Fish Preferred »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Like it's a cute thought and I know you're all eager to give Fox a love interest that isn't taken but you realize this particular paring was doomed from the start :?
Doomed till the end, technically.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:And I highly doubt they can use the "I have unfinished business on Earth" thing to come back to earth as a ghost or spirit considering how long they've been in Heaven.
The average wait time is well within six months. She could be strolling about town already.
Knowledge is not as simple as having the right answers. Knowledge is a way of finding them.
Soerix

Post by Soerix »

Mungo is such a GREAT character in all aspects, and it'd be such a shame to no longer see him in Housepets. :cry:
Although I'd also really like Fox to talk with Fido about him hiding from Fox the fact that he loved a cat (Sabrina). And have them reconcile for good (even though Fox doesn't reallly hate Fido for that, like he said earlier).
Maybe a trio Fox-Mungo-Fido? :D
Gregourii

Post by Gregourii »

Maybe his new partner is King! Just kidding. Imagine him in a K-9 Uniform though xD
Argent

Post by Argent »

Maybe his new partner is the angel husky in disguise.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Or a cat.

FE-Line. Hehehe~ *gets bricked*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

So, that's the punishment: a little suspension and then back to police school. :P Seems they really need Fox in the district, good for him. ;) If Fox got a new work partner after well 6 months, it could mean that has been hard to find the right one for him... The apparent door crashing, again, make me think that's again Mungo. :D Fox is really getting physical. :) Did he win all those cups and trophies?
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Xane wrote:I wonder... will re-training actually make Fox behave better, or will it just make him be sneakier the next time he's a bad dog?
I think it was just a routine punishment for rookies. I think it was the best thing to happen for Fox.

It could really be, Fox has a new partner, but I still hope he stays with Mungo. Aside from the whole "Sasha"-thing, they actually made a pretty good team. :mrgreen:
Adoring Fan

Post by Adoring Fan »

1. I am greatly dissapointed that we have not seen the word "End" yet. Not literally of course, but like a confirmation that its over.

2. Even though it is eluded otherwise my greatest wish for this comic is that we will never ever ever see Mungo ever again under any circumstances >.>

I am sorta surprised about the excercize part though... I always just figured it was that there just so active they don't need to do any specific workouts.
Image Image
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Adoring Fan wrote:I am sorta surprised about the excercize part though... I always just figured it was that there just so active they don't need to do any specific workouts.
Fox was trained by Kevin, maybe Fox picked exercising up as a hobby, because of Kevin's influence?
Backlash

Post by Backlash »

I'm just glad Fox is wearing his bandana again..... I like bandanas
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Argent wrote:
Argent I'm pretty sure the expectancy with those is that you'll see them relatively soon or at least soon in terms of a living person's life span. People usually don't make it longer than 1-5 years at max, expecting Fox to wait his entire lifetime is a bit much. Especially for random beings (that might not even be huskies) that just have a crush on him because he had doggy muscles :lol:
Frank wrote:...you mean this was the Christmas arc?
It is now ;)
SuperStar wrote:Why is everyone assuming the 6 month skip means the pups can talk now? Characters only age when they do, it took forever for the wolf cubs to grow any.

Anyway, yeah it looks like Mungo is visiting, going by the broken door noises, but that doesn't have to be his partner, they could just be friends now.
Also, Fox is like a stinkin' Arrow now or something, xP
Because that's only ever applied AFTER said characters were able to talk, and last time there was a time skip the pups aged quite a bit :P
Also, good point. This is certainly Mungo, but it's not certain he's his partner, though going with the movie theme it would be rather fitting and charming to show development.
GameCobra wrote:I would roar if Peanut somehow ends up being Fox's partner.

I can just picture it now ~ "No Warrant, No Entry"? 6 month skip? Peanut became a cop. Ralph upon reading Mungo's report? "Perfect capabilities to be part of the K-9 force."
"He's the only one here who actually abides by actual laws, and sometimes he also appears more fit than most non-police dogs without even trying. Someone get this dog a badge!"
Douglas Collier wrote:The thing about having long story arcs that skip over months is that you skip over many portions in what is supposed to be a slice of life comic. It's like being at a pie eating festival where, instead of trying small slices of every pie, we get to eat a whole pie - but miss the opportunity to try several others while we're eating it. At least this pie was pretty good, but hopefully there are some left over crumbs from the other pies we missed.
Well that would be true if it weren't for the fact that this particular arc is trying to tell a specific story. If it cut to a bunch of slice of life stuff for 6 months, the effect wouldn't be nearly as strong. Trust me I love Housepets'! slice of life feel but I understand what this arc is going for, it's kinda necessary for this art to take up a lot of time.
Xane wrote:
SirRayBarker wrote:Personally, I'm still waiting for a new over-arching plot to come up. I don't mean any offense, but since the game ended the general plot has seemed kind of ... pointless.
The most likely candidate for the next one seems to be the whole thing about Keene trying to get equality between humans and pets, so I'm hoping for a little more focus on that soon.
It started out as a slice of life comic. I think more people didn't like the cosmic game (myself included) and wanted it to go back to that. I prefer it to be lighthearted and funny, not Game of Bones. So there doesn't have to be a specific reason for anything. Bad enough people will never stop talking about who Pete and Dragon were turned into and that letter (which I hope is resolved soon).
To my knowledge, the cosmic game side story was pretty well received, not liked by everyone but the majority did like the overall entirety of it. The reason it worked so well because Rick did a smart thing of balancing out the major story and the slice of life, with it still mostly being about the slice of life aspect. In it's later time it started occupying more time because it was coming up to the end, which is probably where people started to dislike it the most as it was taking up WAY more comic time.
This story line had the unfortunate placement of being put out in a long, almost constant string of 2 arcs. There wasn't much balance to it, but it wouldn't be the same if it were done differently. Kind of a double edged sword.
Personally I'm hoping it goes back to a balanced story/slice of life format, at this point it's kind of become a staple of the series. :roll:
Adoring Fan wrote:1. I am greatly dissapointed that we have not seen the word "End" yet. Not literally of course, but like a confirmation that its over.

2. Even though it is eluded otherwise my greatest wish for this comic is that we will never ever ever see Mungo ever again under any circumstances >.>

I am sorta surprised about the excercize part though... I always just figured it was that there just so active they don't need to do any specific workouts.
1.Dude. Chill. It is literally about to end :? .
2.Dude. Chill. Ya know you're about to see him again, and that it'd be pretty hard NOT to see him again after featuring him in a 6 month main plot arc :P
3. Unfortunately, that's not how muscles work, nor is it how cops work. :lol: They have to do a lot more sitting around then ya'd think.
Backlash wrote:I'm just glad Fox is wearing his bandana again..... I like bandanas
Bandanas are neat!

Wow that was a lot more talking than I ever do in the comic discussion. Welp, I think that fills my quota for the next 6 months, see you until then! I'm kidding but dang your welcome for the wall of text.
ImageImageImageImage
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

SuperStar wrote:Why is everyone assuming the 6 month skip means the pups can talk now? Characters only age when they do, it took forever for the wolf cubs to grow any.
we know they are about 1 year old by this point. they were born around thanksgiving last year, and now it's Christmas of this year.
and thanks to this strip we know that puppies can talk pretty well by their first birthday.
CHAOKOCartoons wrote:To my knowledge, the cosmic game side story was pretty well received, not liked by everyone but the majority did like the overall entirety of it.
well I don't know if it was a minority or not, but the group that hated the cosmic game arc were very vocal. I'm pretty sure the reason there was such an uninterrupted focus on it at the end was to give it a good conclusion for those who liked it, while getting it done as fast as possible for those who didn't.
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
we know they are about 1 year old by this point. they were born around thanksgiving last year, and now it's Christmas of this year.
and thanks to this strip we know that puppies can talk pretty well by their first birthday.
But we know that characters don't have to age. Just cause you can say they've seen two Christmases doesn't mean they have to age. Peanut and Grape have acknowledged multiple Christmases and they aren't any older.
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Argent wrote:
What if one of them were reincarnated?
Frost SF

Post by Frost SF »

Heh. Time Skip. That's funny to me for personal reasons, and no, its not a Doctor Who thing.
Q. Frosty.
get it? Q Frosty... queue Frosty? eh? eh?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Douglas Collier wrote:The thing about having long story arcs that skip over months is that you skip over many portions in what is supposed to be a slice of life comic. It's like being at a pie eating festival where, instead of trying small slices of every pie, we get to eat a whole pie - but miss the opportunity to try several others while we're eating it. At least this pie was pretty good, but hopefully there are some left over crumbs from the other pies we missed.
But here's the thing: since the passage of time only means something precisely as Rick says it does, we get to eat both as many whole pies and slices and crumbs of pies as Rick feels like giving us. Sure, we didn't get any fall themed pie this year, but we might get some next year. What were the others getting up to in all this time? The sames kinds of things we'll be seeing throughout the next year.
So time passed, but we didn't actually miss anything in a permanent sense. I like the slice of life stuff too, but a good long story every now and again is great fun to me especially when it does so much to advance a character like has been done here.
Argent

Post by Argent »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:
Argent wrote:
Argent I'm pretty sure the expectancy with those is that you'll see them relatively soon or at least soon in terms of a living person's life span. People usually don't make it longer than 1-5 years at max, expecting Fox to wait his entire lifetime is a bit much. Especially for random beings (that might not even be huskies) that just have a crush on him because he had doggy muscles :lol:
Given what's already happened in HousePets!, including Fox casually tagging along with Joel/King in the first place, there's sure to be plenty of opportunities for them to get together.

King still has the Kitsune statue.

Tarot and Sabrina had an elevator halfway to heaven installed in their house.

The temple is still active.

Karishad is around, and he's friends with Fox.

There's Dragon's temple.

Mungo may be descended from another one of dragon's avatars.

There's various other mystical stuff going on, remember the jaguar ghost?

And Rick just revealed that they're going to get together after all.