Arc 30: The Present

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Re: Arc 30: The Present

Post by Sleet »

A few things I noticed when re-reading the arc:

1.) If Sasha never had a piano before, then that means that it never was hers, so it was a legitimate gift. Bino gave her a piano and she was still mad? Spoiled dog. :P
2.) Bino's laying against a pillow and not the back of the piano? Total wasted potential there.
3.) Since animals are sapient and their fingers are more mobile than those of real animals, I wonder if anyone ever arranges pet versions of music to accommodate their lack of a fifth finger.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

1.) Technically Sasha gave Bino the Piano as a gift and he gave it back to her that is re-gifting (I'm assuming all the stuff Bino gave her was from her) and since she never used the Piano and it was just a gift for Bino she really never owned it in the first place.
2.) I agree with this
3.) Since they write books for them (or a least publish them I don't think we know if Pridelands was written by a human or not. Do we?) they might.

By the way speaking of things that you realize from re-reading Max does know Sasha very well since he was right. :lol:
Edit: fixed up sentence Edit 2: Teh Brawler is right its still a re-gift even if it wasn't from Sasha and its still lazy.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Sat May 22, 2010 12:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Sleet wrote:A few things I noticed when re-reading the arc:

1.) If Sasha never had a piano before, then that means that it never was hers, so it was a legitimate gift. Bino gave her a piano and she was still mad? Spoiled dog. :P
2.) Bino's laying against a pillow and not the back of the piano? Total wasted potential there.
3.) Since animals are sapient and their fingers are more mobile than those of real animals, I wonder if anyone ever arranges pet versions of music to accommodate their lack of a fifth finger.
1.) I'm thinking that she knows that even though the piano wasn't hers, he still had it under his possession for an extended amount of time, meaning that it's a re-gift.
2.)Thirded.
3.) I'm not good with that kind of speculation. :P
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Sleet wrote:A few things I noticed when re-reading the arc:

My views on this are, as follows:

1. I think it was only because he forgot about her. Even if you did get your girlfriend a great gift, whatdoes it matter if you were pressured into it by eavryone else gifting her?
2. four-ed
3. Makes pefect sense to me!
Liam

Post by Liam »

Sleet wrote:I wonder if anyone ever arranges pet versions of music to accommodate their lack of a fifth finger.
Seems like Sasha doesn't need such accomodations.

Lang Lang got nothing on her!
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

I didn't see any evidence that Bino got the piano originally from Sasha--the unicorn, yes, but I don't know about anything else....

Anyway, I haven't seen the most important question being asked--if Sasha never had a piano before, how did she get so good at playing the piano in the first place?
PF chars

"We have to do this take again! HAL, do it with a LOT less emotion!"
"I'm sorry Stan, I'm afraid I can't do that."
--Phoenix

pair-o-dimes dot blogspot dot com
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

ChewyChewy wrote:I didn't see any evidence that Bino got the piano originally from Sasha--the unicorn, yes, but I don't know about anything else....

Anyway, I haven't seen the most important question being asked--if Sasha never had a piano before, how did she get so good at playing the piano in the first place?
Ummm.....That's a really good question OH LOOK is that a lampshade?
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

ChewyChewy wrote:I didn't see any evidence that Bino got the piano originally from Sasha--the unicorn, yes, but I don't know about anything else....

I'm just going to mark that up to her being a genus of some sort (again I wonder if her talents go beyond just Music or not) I mean she composed the entire sonnet in her head on the way over to the dog house. Plus she said she never owned a piano before not that she had never played one what she meant could have been she never owned one before so that is why Bino never heard her play it because she has never had the chance to in front of him.

Edit: Ok technically she said had not owned but my point is still valid
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

IceKitsune wrote:

I'm just going to mark that up to her being a genus of some sort (again I wonder if her talents go beyond just Music or not) I mean she composed the entire sonnet in her head on the way over to the dog house. Plus she said she never owned a piano before not that she had never played one what she meant could have been she never owned one before so that is why Bino never heard her play it because she has never had the chance to in front of him.

Well, clearly she is a prodigy of some kind, but your explanation doesn't really answer the question. Where did she find a piano to be able to play one and get so good?
PF chars

--Phoenix

Dissension

Post by Dissension »

You've never picked up an instrument (or device or whatever implement) for the first time and performed at expert levels?

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Dissension wrote:You've never picked up an instrument (or device or whatever implement) for the first time and performed at expert levels?
Not while I was awake, no.
PF chars

--Phoenix

44R0NM10
Former Mod of the Aura

Post by 44R0NM10 »

Maybe she owned 'Piano Hero' or something? I'm sure if I picked up a guitar right now, I'd be able to play through the fire and flames easily...
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Everyone has neglected to consider that the piano could be automatic, playing itself. *laughs hysterically*

Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Liam wrote:
Sleet wrote:I wonder if anyone ever arranges pet versions of music to accommodate their lack of a fifth finger.
Seems like Sasha doesn't need such accomodations.

Lang Lang got nothing on her!
To be fair, that's not a piece that would be too difficult to play (relatively speaking) with four fingers on a hand. At least the part we can see in the comic.
ChewyChewy wrote:Anyway, I haven't seen the most important question being asked--if Sasha never had a piano before, how did she get so good at playing the piano in the first place?
I think that's the point of the comic; she's that good. She may be airheaded, but she's evidently some kind of savant. Or maybe she's not even that, she's just an all-around super genius who's obfuscating stupidity.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

ChewyChewy wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:

Well, clearly she is a prodigy of some kind, but your explanation doesn't really answer the question. Where did she find a piano to be able to play one and get so good?
I really don't know actually that's one huge flaw in my explanation. Well to take a wild guess maybe someone else in the neighborhood had a piano at some point (possibly someone who moved.) and she learned to play there. Of course that is just a wild guess but its the best explanation I can think of right now.
Sleet wrote:I think that's the point of the comic; she's that good. She may be airheaded, but she's evidently some kind of savant. Or maybe she's not even that, she's just an all-around super genius who's obfuscating stupidity.
I'm going with the idea of her being an all around super-genius. Why you ask because Rick hasn't said other wise.
Last edited by IceKitsune on Sat May 22, 2010 1:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

It is also entirely possible that Sasha plays the piano so well because she needed to for story purposes.

IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Dissension wrote:It is also entirely possible that Sasha plays the piano so well because she needed to for story purposes.
Also very possible but that hasn't happened yet in this comic as far as I can remember so I'm going to say she is really that good on the piano.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I concur; just wanted to point out the possibility.

ChewyChewy

Post by ChewyChewy »

Dissension wrote:It is also entirely possible that Sasha plays the piano so well because she needed to for story purposes.
For some reason I'm thinking that if that were the case there would have been lampshading of this big time....
PF chars

--Phoenix

Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

ChewyChewy wrote:
For some reason I'm thinking that if that were the case there would have been lampshading of this big time....
That's what the epilogue will be for. :D
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

ChewyChewy wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:

Well, Bino gave her the piano. As for playing so well... Why, the "think system" of course. How else?

Seventy-Six trombones caught the morning sun...
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Kyderra wrote:I vote Tarot will make a re-imagining of Star wars with Peanut as Luke, Grape as Lea and Maxxwell as Darth Vader!

wait what are we talking about again?
That would be cool.
I ship Grape&Peanut and support King&Bailey
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

I picture Peanut more as the wandering Samurai and Maxwell as the hired Ninja.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

Sleet wrote:I think that's the point of the comic; she's that good. She may be airheaded, but she's evidently some kind of savant. Or maybe she's not even that, she's just an all-around super genius who's obfuscating stupidity.
Okay, let's say it was that. Why would she make herself seem like an airhead? What could she gain from it?
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Dr. Prower wrote:
Okay, let's say it was that. Why would she make herself seem like an airhead? What could she gain from it?
I don't really know but my guess is that she might find it funny to trick people like that. You know to see the look on their faces when they find out she's not such an air head. Or it could be she thinks that if she acts too smart she might alienate everyone around her and she doesn't want to do that. Based on what we do know about her I think its most likely the second one.

Edit: fixed spelling
Dr. Prower

Post by Dr. Prower »

IceKitsune wrote:
Dr. Prower wrote:
I don't really know but my guess is that she might find it funny to trick people like that. You know to see the look on their faces when they find out she's not such an air head. Or it could be she thinks that if she acts too smart she might alienate everyone around her and she doesn't want to do that. Based on what we do know about her I think its most likely the second one.

Edit: fixed spelling
I'd probably go with the second as well. Sasha seems too nice to play a trick like that.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

This may come as a surprise, but plenty of smart people are just silly and scatterbrained. Sasha hasn't done anything in the comics that would lead me to believe she's not intelligent; the spelling issues could be attributed to excitement over Fido's Triumphant Return and 'Eau de Toilette' is French. French is hard.

FlintTheSquirrel

Post by FlintTheSquirrel »

ChewyChewy wrote:Well, clearly she is a prodigy of some kind, but your explanation doesn't really answer the question. Where did she find a piano to be able to play one and get so good?
I wonder if everyone forgot that there is another person who owns a Piano, KEYS! Unless it is the same piano, which means that Bino is a no good, dirty thief! But it may have been a gift from Sasha from a while back, can't really tell which one.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

FlintTheSquirrel wrote:
ChewyChewy wrote:Well, clearly she is a prodigy of some kind, but your explanation doesn't really answer the question. Where did she find a piano to be able to play one and get so good?
I wonder if everyone forgot that there is another person who owns a Piano, KEYS! Unless it is the same piano, which means that Bino is a no good, dirty thief! But it may have been a gift from Sasha from a while back, can't really tell which one.
I had forgotten about Keys its possible that's were she could have played the piano before and learned how to play. Good thinking Flint
Edit: It couldn't have been Key's piano that Bino gave to Sasha because Key's is a electronic key board and Bino gave Sasha an actual Piano even though it was small.
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

Sasha says she's never had a piano before, not that she's never played a piano before. For all we know her 'father' could have had her learn the piano in another failed attempt to impress women.

Personally, I think most (if not all) of her scatter-brained behavior is an act. Let's face it--even if her father isn't directly physically abusive, he's certainly emotionally abusive. And, really, Bino is not much better than her 'father' when it comes to their relationship. I think she's hiding a lot of hurt under that bubbly exterior.

Of course, there's also the possibility she is somehow enchanted and so can't act how we might expect. Pete suggested that she was 'protected' and Fox couldn't find her or King despite looking (and despite the fact that King reeked to high heaven of catnip and nitro). If her protection is magical in nature it might not only extend physically but also mentally so that her mind is compartmentalized and the sections don't always work together well.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Typhon
Location: In my house. Reading housepets. And organic chemistry.

Post by Typhon »

IceKitsune wrote:
FlintTheSquirrel wrote:
I had forgotten about Keys its possible that's were she could have played the piano before and learned how to play. Good thinking Flint
Edit: It couldn't have been Key's piano that Bino gave to Sasha because Key's is a electronic key board and Bino gave Sasha an actual Piano even though it was small.
It could have been Key's old one..
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Indagare wrote:
Personally, I think most (if not all) of her scatter-brained behavior is an act. Let's face it--even if her father isn't directly physically abusive, he's certainly emotionally abusive. And, really, Bino is not much better than her 'father' when it comes to their relationship. I think she's hiding a lot of hurt under that bubbly exterior.

Of course, there's also the possibility she is somehow enchanted and so can't act how we might expect. Pete suggested that she was 'protected' and Fox couldn't find her or King despite looking (and despite the fact that King reeked to high heaven of catnip and nitro). If her protection is magical in nature it might not only extend physically but also mentally so that her mind is compartmentalized and the sections don't always work together well.
Ok I agree with you about her being scatter-brained is most likely an act and the fact that she is hiding a lot of hurt by acting as such (and also not to alienate people as I said earlier) but the stuff about the protection being also mental and stuff so her brain is compartmentalized is quite frankly reaching IMO. Also as for the protection being the reason for Fox not being able to find them when he was looking I must admit it is certainly a possibility in fact its a good one.
Typhon wrote:
It could have been Key's old one..
It could have been.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

My vote is still for "savant."
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

I get the feeling you guys are ignoring my input because it doesn't fit with your predefined narrative for Sasha. Being scatterbrained and smart are not mutually exclusive. Sillyness does not equal stupidity.

Sasha hasn't been hiding her intelligence; maybe the other pets have just been like you guys - ignoring the evidence because she's so obviously a doofus.

IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

Dissension wrote:I get the feeling you guys are ignoring my input because it doesn't fit with your predefined narrative for Sasha. Being scatterbrained and smart are not mutually exclusive. Sillyness does not equal stupidity.

Sasha hasn't been hiding her intelligence; maybe the other pets have just been like you guys - ignoring the evidence because she's so obviously a doofus.
It's possible that she really is just scatterbrained and its not an act I'll give you that and what other evidence could we have been ignoring there have been no hints until this arc that she was anything other then what she appeared to be which was an airhead.

Edit: Truthfully it doesn't really matter because anything you say is evidence of her being just a scatterbrain I could just as easily say she's acting and vica versa.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

i AM a girl, silly

i think
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Ebly wrote:i AM a girl, silly

i think
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

ctcmjh wrote:

i think
actually, i was surprised that you and chewy are guys

i was pointing out more of sasha's silliness
have you guys already forgotten two comics ago?
ctcmjh

Post by ctcmjh »

Ebly wrote:
ctcmjh wrote:

i think
actually, i was surprised that you and chewy are guys

I get that a lot here...
And does that mean you're not a girl, or are you?
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

ctcmjh wrote:
Ebly wrote: actually, i was surprised that you and chewy are guys

I get that a lot here...
And does that mean you're not a girl, or are you?
i could have a lot of fun with this, but i really don't think i'm feminine enough to pull off androgyny