2015/08/28 - Are We When Yet?

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Argent

Re: 2015/08/27 - Are We When Yet?

Post by Argent »

Extra Bonus Internet for the Buckaroo Banzai reference.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

In this comic, Pete implies that the game has been going on for 7,000 years. Given that the gang is now at 5000 B.C., and we are currently at 2015 AD, I'm going to postulate that they have landed at a pre-game time, and maybe they'll get to meet Pete and Dragon as the game first gets underway. Or something along those lines.
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Bill in OK wrote:In this comic, Pete implies that the game has been going on for 7,000 years. Given that the gang is now at 5000 B.C., and we are currently at 2015 AD, I'm going to postulate that they have landed at a pre-game time, and maybe they'll get to meet Pete and Dragon as the game first gets underway. Or something along those lines.
Nope. Satau's the SECOND Avatar. They're in his time. The Game's on, I'd say.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Perfesser_Bear

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

Pudding wrote:At least Peanut still has his bag.. What do you think is in it?
Peanut's messenger bag always contains the essentials: whatever book he is reading at the moment, his camera, a 3-ring binder with lined paper, pens and pencils, a juice box, his namesake sandwich (in case he gets hungry) and of course, his handy MacGuffin.
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Bill in OK wrote:In this comic, Pete implies that the game has been going on for 7,000 years. Given that the gang is now at 5000 B.C., and we are currently at 2015 AD, I'm going to postulate that they have landed at a pre-game time, and maybe they'll get to meet Pete and Dragon as the game first gets underway. Or something along those lines.
Right, I'd forgotten about that. Darn, I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with that thought! :?
King looks an awful lot like my own Corgi. That's one reason why he's my favorite, but I also like his attitude.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Saturn381 wrote:*Throws a tomato at you*
Of course you relize, tomatoes in this time period are smaller, much less juicy, and restricted to Central America
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
DigitalBrave3

Post by DigitalBrave3 »

Rick, I can't wait to see what happens next.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Frank wrote:
John-056 wrote:if Fido and Sabs decide they want a few... Puppies... or is it Kittens?

KittenPuppies?
There is an official name for when they grow up, though: Kotpies
Ah, 1st April, 2009. A day that would echo through the ages!
Xane wrote:"And they were never seen again. THE END."

"Housepets is now known as King & Friends."
Shhh! Speak no further!
Frank wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:*Throws a tomato at you*
Of course you relize, tomatoes in this time period are smaller, much less juicy, and restricted to Central America
Let us remember this is not our world, this is the Housepets! world. Technology might be more advanced at this time period than in our world.

Of course, that was until the interspecies war circa 4500 B. C. after which the destruction and scarcer resources led to a drop in development that took over a millenia to recover.
There are many other examples of alternate history in the Housepets! world, such as the time Attila's invasion of Europe was ultimately thwarted by the bbetrayal of his horse's herd-clan, or when vice-president Benjamin Franklin had to deal with the War for the Delicious Octopus in 1800, but those are different stories, for another.... time.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Shame there wasn't a Spot comic today.

I had my "Time Paradox" speech ready. :(
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Bill in OK

Post by Bill in OK »

Bill in OK wrote:
Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Right, I'd forgotten about that. Darn, I was pretty proud of myself for coming up with that thought! :?
But then again, why assume that they went back to Satau's time? He looks as confused about it as the rest. They may have sprinted past their target era.

I think I shall reassert my postulation.
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Here they are... Yeah, where are you now? :? At least, you're all safe. ;) Maxwell looks so shoked. :| Ah, Peanut... It's not the moment for bad puns. :P Now do something to return home, that lamp is on, maybe it still works. Epic last panel, go for cats supremacy! :D :P
Eheh, when Tarot says "Oh dear". :lol:
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

Bill in OK wrote: But then again, why assume that they went back to Satau's time? He looks as confused about it as the rest. They may have sprinted past their target era.

No, they went to the right time. They just went to the right time in the wrong location.

They're where Babylon Gardens is, not where the temple originated.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I wanna know who the first avatar is first though. Satau was the second so it would be interesting if we ever do find out the identity of the first one.
Frank

Post by Frank »

Silly Zealot wrote:Let us remember this is not our world, this is the Housepets! world. Technology might be more advanced at this time period than in our world.

Of course, that was until the interspecies war circa 4500 B. C. after which the destruction and scarcer resources led to a drop in development that took over a millenia to recover.
There are many other examples of alternate history in the Housepets! world, such as the time Attila's invasion of Europe was ultimately thwarted by the bbetrayal of his horse's herd-clan, or when vice-president Benjamin Franklin had to deal with the War for the Delicious Octopus in 1800, but those are different stories, for another.... time.
In an infinitesimally breif history of housepets, Rick says that it took time for the animals and the humans to speak the same language. I'm guessing that would have had a hand in such events
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I wanna know who the first avatar is first though. Satau was the second so it would be interesting if we ever do find out the identity of the first one.
I honestly doubt we will. If I were writing this, i'd have picked the second simply so the avatar knows he must have successors due to the simple fact that he himself is a successor (I mean, how do you break it to your first avatar that you fully expect them to die?) Of course, this being Rick, he may have different reasons entirely
"[E]ven with simple tools, you too can make awesome."
November 21, 2010
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

SuperStar wrote:In regard to many members theories of paradoxes, I think that what ever they may cause to happen, has already happened. Come on, time is time, if something ever changed it already did. You know what I mean?
While that particular theory of how time works is the most plausible IRL, it's also the one that fiction NEVER uses.
Most important thing I've learned from D&D?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Kitch wrote:
Bill in OK wrote: But then again, why assume that they went back to Satau's time? He looks as confused about it as the rest. They may have sprinted past their target era.

No, they went to the right time. They just went to the right time in the wrong location.

If that's the case, they've got to figure out not only "how to return Peanut, Grape, Max, Sabrina and Tarot back to the present", but also "how to teleport Satau to an entirely different continent".
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

CosmicCoyote wrote:
Kitch wrote:

If that's the case, they've got to figure out not only "how to return Peanut, Grape, Max, Sabrina and Tarot back to the present", but also "how to teleport Satau to an entirely different continent".
Yeah, that's quite a hike... and a swim... and then another hike... I don't suppose they could get away with inventing boats early?
No matter how tempting it may be, as a DM I can't both present a problem and solve it.
Every time a DMPC or NPC fixes something a payer couldn't i'm diminishing and undermining that player's contribution.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Just some random information, but the oldest recovered boat in the world is the Pesse canoe, a dugout made from the hollowed tree trunk of a Pinus sylvestris and constructed somewhere between 8200 and 7600 BC. I'm sure that there could be more boats made out of trees.
Buster
Game Master

Post by Buster »

but one large and durable enough to carry the supplies necessary to cross the north Atlantic? and unless they want to hike through Europe cross it at it's widest point?
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Well you were the one that wanted to see if they could get away with making boats early. ;)
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Wait, so if Satu came back after being sent into the future, wouldn't that alone mess stuff up? Unless, however, he was SUPPOSED to come back. Thought that would mean that Peanut, Grape, Max, Tarot, and Sabrina going to the past was also supposed to happen. If this is the case, all of what they do will have no effect on the future, as the future is based on their choices. For all we know, most of the inventions in this world are because of Satu & Co., both directly and in-directly. The concept of collars and tags could very well come from them being seen by people of the past.
In other words, this arc already happened, and will continue to happen in the same way over and over again... and now my head hurts, I see what Peanut was talking about now :lol:
ImageImageImageImage
SuperStar

Post by SuperStar »

CHAOKOCartoons wrote:Wait, so if Satu came back after being sent into the future, wouldn't that alone mess stuff up? Unless, however, he was SUPPOSED to come back. Thought that would mean that Peanut, Grape, Max, Tarot, and Sabrina going to the past was also supposed to happen. If this is the case, all of what they do will have no effect on the future, as the future is based on their choices. For all we know, most of the inventions in this world are because of Satu & Co., both directly and in-directly. The concept of collars and tags could very well come from them being seen by people of the past.
In other words, this arc already happened, and will continue to happen in the same way over and over again... and now my head hurts, I see what Peanut was talking about now :lol:
Totes what I'm thinking too. The arc will not effect the main timeline in anyway, because it has already happened.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

I remember an episode of the animated Mummy series that did the "time is as it should happen" thing. Kid trained in the Medjai order is sent to the distant past, and befriends and trains another kid he met. When he gets back and tells his mentor, turns out the kid he trained is the person who founded the Medjai order.

If this is the case that Rick is going, should be interesting to see what the team is ultimately responsible for.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Kitch wrote:They're where Babylon Gardens is, not where the temple originated.
What makes you think that? They look to be in the same forest Satau started in.
Buster wrote:
SuperStar wrote:In regard to many members theories of paradoxes, I think that what ever they may cause to happen, has already happened. Come on, time is time, if something ever changed it already did. You know what I mean?
While that particular theory of how time works is the most plausible IRL, it's also the one that fiction NEVER uses.
Lots of fiction does. Robert Heinlein wrote two time travel stories like this that are considered classics (warning: both these pages contain spoilers):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_His_Bootstraps

This kind of causal loop makes a lot of "classical" sense, and is pretty commonly used. Kage Baker wrote a whole series of books about a time traveling company (Doctor Zeus) who manipulates the past to hide and later recover archaeological treasures that fund the development of time travel. The company's agents are immortal cyborgs who hate what they know of the future society, while being helpless to do anything but manipulate history behind the scenes to ensure that future society occurs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kage_Baker

The "Time Turner" in Harry Potter has the same restriction. Everything that happens as the result of a time turner already happened.

A slightly looser model is also common. In this, you can interact with the past, but there's a kind of cosmic censor that keeps you from actually making permanent changes, or keeps you from traveling back to times and places where you would have changed it. Which is why there aren't zillions of time travelers going back to rescue Jesus or kill Hitler. Fritz Leiber used this to great effect in the classic short story "Try to change the past".

http://www.loa.org/sciencefiction/biogr ... change.jsp

In our reality though, in a quantum rather than a classical universe, where every event splits the universe into millions of forking paths, the "multiple timelines" model is more realistic.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And this is why most people aren't able to follow time paradoxes because they can get confusing.
1071-CCN

Post by 1071-CCN »

There's no proof at all as to what would happen anyhow. Until we find a way to break the light barrier, which we probably never will, all speculation about time travel will be no more than speculation.
This account is a copy of that of my Cross Time Cafe account, which I use to discuss Freefall on its forum.
CosmicCoyote

Post by CosmicCoyote »

Well the bigger problem with 'non-paradoxical' time travel is it effectively establishes predetermination. Take timeline point A, B, C, and D where A is before B is before C is before D. Let's say people from point D go back to point B to affect an event at C, but turned out to have already effected C because they had gone back to point B (preventing a paradox). That means looking from the viewpoint of A, timeline events B, C and D MUST happen as ordered - and are indeed predetermined to preserve the prevention of a paradox (say that last part 5 times fast).

Of course predetermination undermines the whole 'free will' thing, which is pretty important to most people, and to speak of the Housepets universe in specifically, I got the impression from the Heaven's Not Enough arc that free will is indeed a thing and an important thing.

Then again, we have a character who can see into the future with seemingly impeccable accuracy, so...

*shrug*

Iunno.
"...kindness is its own reward. Paid in ice cream."
RP chars:
Redwall: Rhys Greenbrier
17th CF: Alasdair 'Alec' Ogilvy
Argent

Post by Argent »

1071-CCN wrote:There's no proof at all as to what would happen anyhow. Until we find a way to break the light barrier, which we probably never will, all speculation about time travel will be no more than speculation.
FTL implies time travel, but time travel implies FTL.

Thiotimoline to the Stars

Also, you can have free will and closed-loop time travel, assuming you have indefinite amounts of "meta" time to time travel in, because the loop will keep changing until you accidentally reach a stable configuration. There is no guarantee that stable configuration will be one you wanted, though, as a rational!Harry Potter discovered in this episode: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.
Felixthestoat

Post by Felixthestoat »

Title should be "are we then yet?" :P But yeah I totally would be the guy making the witty comment like peanut :D
Argent wrote:
1071-CCN wrote:There's no proof at all as to what would happen anyhow. Until we find a way to break the light barrier, which we probably never will, all speculation about time travel will be no more than speculation.
FTL implies time travel, but time travel implies FTL.

Thiotimoline to the Stars

Also, you can have free will and closed-loop time travel, assuming you have indefinite amounts of "meta" time to time travel in, because the loop will keep changing until you accidentally reach a stable configuration. There is no guarantee that stable configuration will be one you wanted, though, as a rational!Harry Potter discovered in this episode: Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality.
Also, whoa.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

And then you would have been beaten senseless by Max, Grape and Sabrina because the only reason Peanut is still in one piece is because he is their friend. LOL
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Argent wrote:
Kitch wrote:They're where Babylon Gardens is, not where the temple originated.
What makes you think that? They look to be in the same forest Satau started in.
Buster wrote:
Lots of fiction does. Robert Heinlein wrote two time travel stories like this that are considered classics (warning: both these pages contain spoilers):

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/All_You_Zombies
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/By_His_Bootstraps

This kind of causal loop makes a lot of "classical" sense, and is pretty commonly used. Kage Baker wrote a whole series of books about a time traveling company (Doctor Zeus) who manipulates the past to hide and later recover archaeological treasures that fund the development of time travel. The company's agents are immortal cyborgs who hate what they know of the future society, while being helpless to do anything but manipulate history behind the scenes to ensure that future society occurs.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kage_Baker

The "Time Turner" in Harry Potter has the same restriction. Everything that happens as the result of a time turner already happened.

A slightly looser model is also common. In this, you can interact with the past, but there's a kind of cosmic censor that keeps you from actually making permanent changes, or keeps you from traveling back to times and places where you would have changed it. Which is why there aren't zillions of time travelers going back to rescue Jesus or kill Hitler. Fritz Leiber used this to great effect in the classic short story "Try to change the past".

http://www.loa.org/sciencefiction/biogr ... change.jsp

In our reality though, in a quantum rather than a classical universe, where every event splits the universe into millions of forking paths, the "multiple timelines" model is more realistic.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VW27kyh7PVM
Arthas972

Post by Arthas972 »

At least they're in the right time period, though probably not in Egypt :-P
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

How do we know that they are all in the right time period though? For all we know, it could be a bit later or even EARLIER.
EKJC

Post by EKJC »

I think that the theory of nothing can change in the future because everything has already happened it's true.
Also I think that maybe, just maybe, when they try to go "Back to the future" they will end in the beginnings of Housepets! Why? Remember when Satau say something about the wheel of time some weeks ago? Meanwhile I was collecting information for a fanfic/novel I'm writting (can or can not be about Pridelands :roll: ) and I found out a peculiar name in one of the books in the background. Rick if you planned this from the beginning, I'm impresed. :shock:
We never really grow up... We only learn how to act in public :3

Arthas972

Post by Arthas972 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:How do we know that they are all in the right time period though? For all we know, it could be a bit later or even EARLIER.
Yeah, that's true :-P
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

EKJC wrote:I think that the theory of nothing can change in the future because everything has already happened it's true.
Also I think that maybe, just maybe, when they try to go "Back to the future" they will end in the beginnings of Housepets! Why? Remember when Satau say something about the wheel of time some weeks ago? Meanwhile I was collecting information for a fanfic/novel I'm writting (can or can not be about Pridelands :roll: ) and I found out a peculiar name in one of the books in the background. Rick if you planned this from the beginning, I'm impresed. :shock:
"The Wheel of Time" is an actual series of fantasy novels that exists in the real world.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!