2015/02/13 - The Name Game

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Amazee Dayzee

Re: 2015/02/13 - The Name Game

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I only saw your pronunciation video a couple of months ago. Even STILL, I can't rid my habit of calling him "Bean-o" for some reason.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

GameCobra wrote:
dtlux1 wrote:I don't think it is working, I read Dinosaur right, but then I read it Beanosaur...
Where did the bean come from?!? D:
I actually have no clue, I called him Beano for some reason after looking at his name. I have no clue where I got it, but it seemed right to me. I know that when I asked some of my other friends how to pronounce it today, they also said beano, I had no clue at all people pronounced it byeno, let alone that it was the correct pronunciation.

Love how Bino just says that it isn't that hard to say, making a joke at everyone that called him that.

Makes me wonder how many other names I have been pronouncing wrong, like Tarot. Didn't even know that was a thing until about 3 months ago.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I only saw your pronunciation video a couple of months ago. Even STILL, I can't rid my habit of calling him "Bean-o" for some reason.
I probably never will. It just sounds better in my mind after 6 months, and my mind just reads it that way. It is just like Absol, I just can't force myself to correct it because it sounds better to me. the only thing I ever corrected my pronunciation on is Nyan Cat I believe.

Where is this video anyways?
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

I like how Daryl is just going along with what Bino is doing.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Diss has a link to it somewhere. I would find it, but the forum is too slow for me to search.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Xane wrote:"Wait, how would you even know how my name is spelled but not heard it out loud?"
Keene texted it to Miles, and that's how Miles said it.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

That's probably the same way we all figured what his name was but not pronounced.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Diss has a link to it somewhere. I would find it, but the forum is too slow for me to search.
Well then, I found it. The only thing I can say about it...

I PRONOUNCE EVERYTHING IN THAT VIDEO WRONG!

I guess my mind will never agree with all the correct pronunciations, as I still read them the way I thought they were pronounced... :|

I am just replaying that video in Dissbelieif...
Ha, see what I did there?
Last edited by dtlux1 on Fri Feb 13, 2015 4:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

So I can understand why Bino is a bit mad that Darryl was teasing him.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:So I can understand why Bino is a bit mad that Darryl was teasing him.
I still say the reason he picks on King is because King is short, and in his mind Bino knows he is short, and he wants to be taller. King would be the one he can pick on, as King is shorter than him. Not to mention King kind of took Fox away from Bino as a main friend...
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

dtlux1 wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Diss has a link to it somewhere. I would find it, but the forum is too slow for me to search.

I guess my mind will never agree with all the correct pronunciations, as I still read them the way I thought they were pronounced... :|

Okay it's pretty much just Bino I've been getting wrong. I knew Tarot was pronounced that way coz I've had a slight interest in tarot cards. I even have my own tarot deck in real life.
Karishad is kinda a weird name but How Diss pronounced it it pretty much how I imagined it pronounced. And yeah, Lana and Lucretia? Who the heck has been getting THOSE wrong?
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Carrie-shad? I thought it was Car-ish-ad. Then again, I was binging on Doctor Who when I started reading HP, so that British English probably came from having that on my brain. And since I'm from the U.S. Midwest region, I pronounced Lucretia as Lew-kree-sha.

You know, Rick might be trolling us again. Nobody seems to be wondering what the cubs will decide for their adult names. Also, Bi?No! might decide to change his name to Bino (like Dino from Flintstones) as his wolf name.

I seriously wonder, (okay, not too seriously) "what will the cubs choose as their permanent names?" Miles said they try to put this off for as long as possible, so this must mean the cubs have grown up, right? Or at least one must have.

One last thought...if Bi?No! wants to take part in the ceremony, what could be his role? Prey? Tell me...someone.
See what I did there?
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

It's a pleasure see Bino being trolled about his name pronouncing, great job there, Daryl! :lol: But give caution there, you could break his back, Bino is so physically weak... :P Good, a strip about the pronouncing of a character's name. :) We already discussed of that, and I'm always saying it in the wrong way, but it's more comfortable to me. ;) Bino is going to do an initiation made for wolf puppies? Renounce it, I'm not expecting nice things... :P Probably Bino doesn't care about height, because his stepbrother Joey and the "rival" King are shorter, but on the other hard, agaist Fido...
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Now we need a strip on how Tarot's name is pronounced (Tero).

I wonder just how much orange soda Daryl had before Bino showed up...
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

dtlux1 wrote:

Huh, so I was close on the others. Got Bino and Tarot down right all this time, but seems I got the others with slight mispronounciations.

For me;
Karishad was car-ee-shad
Lana was law-na
Lucretia was lu-cre-sha

So yeah, I was close.
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

TheOne wrote:Carrie-shad? I thought it was Car-ish-ad. Then again, I was binging on Doctor Who when I started reading HP, so that British English probably came from having that on my brain.
I actually mispronounced Lucretia in the video! I'd forgotten Rick intended Latin pronunciation.

As for Karishad, it's Paiute (a Native American language) for fox.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

"It's not New-found-land, it's New-fin-land!"

"It's not Ar-kan-sis, it's Ark-kin-saw!"
All your acorns are belong to us.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Dissension wrote: I actually mispronounced Lucretia in the video! I'd forgotten Rick intended Latin pronunciation.
HERESY, no just kidding. I mispronounced Binos name because I was so used to saying Beano. I learnt Beano from an old annual comic book he used to read as a kid until he gave me his old copies. The comic books were called the Beano.
Hi Hi Pie
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I think we need a pronunciation topic somewhere in order to let people know how to pronounce the names of each character. :lol:
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

D-Rock wrote: Huh, so I was close on the others. Got Bino and Tarot down right all this time, but seems I got the others with slight mispronounciations.

For me;
Karishad was car-ee-shad
Lana was law-na
Lucretia was lu-cre-sha

So yeah, I was close.
To be honest, I never really looked at Lucretia's name and tried to pronounce it. I usually just browsed over it, and I think I thought it was Lucereta or something. :P

Karishad is care-i(as in ink)-shad
Lana is exactly what you said.

I still pronounce Tarot's name like carrot, because I didn't even know what a tarot card was until I had been reading Housepets for 3 months. I saw them on tv and said to myself. "Crap, I have been pronouncing that wrong."
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

Number9Dysonsphere wrote:
Dissension wrote: I actually mispronounced Lucretia in the video! I'd forgotten Rick intended Latin pronunciation.
HERESY, no just kidding. I mispronounced Binos name because I was so used to saying Beano. I learnt Beano from an old annual comic book he used to read as a kid until he gave me his old copies. The comic books were called the Beano.
I used to read the Beano comic books when I was young as well. Might be where I got the pronunciation from too.
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Whozjama wrote:"It's not New-found-land, it's New-fin-land!"

"It's not Ar-kan-sis, it's Ark-kin-saw!"
I thought it was Ark-an-saw and New-fund-lund, but I'm from Wiss-con-sin so my pro-nun-see-ay-shun is understandably warp'd.

Diss, you're admitting you were wrong about Lucretia, but you expect us to believe you about Karishad? (Just joking; I believe you, but only because you invoked the name of Rick.)

I wun-der how peepl wud reeact if we all spell'd out wurds the waee we say them for the rest of the wee-kend. I no we hav sum im-aj-in-it-iv peepl heer.
(And sud-en-lee I feel lik I'm frum the bad part of Shi-kaa-go.)
Argent

Post by Argent »

TheOne wrote:I wun-der how peepl wud reeact if we all spell'd out wurds the waee we say them for the rest of the wee-kend. I no we hav sum im-aj-in-it-iv peepl heer.
(And sud-en-lee I feel lik I'm frum the bad part of Shi-kaa-go.)
Yood look lik Bascule frum Feersum Endjinn:
Bascule wrote:Woak up. Got dresd. Had brekfast. Spoke wif Ergates thi ant who sed itz juss been wurk wurk wurk 4 u lately master Bascule, Y dont u 1⁄2 a holiday? & I agreed & that woz how we decided we otter go 2 c Mr Zoliparia in thi I-ball ov thi gargoyle Rosbrith.

I fot Id bettir clear it wif thi relevint oforities furst & hens avoyd any truble (like happind thi lastime) so I went 2 c mentor Scalopin.

Certinly yung Bascule, he sez, i do beleave this is a day ov relativly lite dooties 4 u u may take it off. 1⁄2 u made yoor mattins calls?

O yes, I sed, which woznt stricktly tru, in fact which woz pretti strikly untru, trufe btold, but I cude always do them while we woz travelin.
Edit: It's taken a while but I finally dug up the Paiute word for marten: "Pa-TsuGo". Weasel is "Pa-BiTse". Couldn't actually find "fox", but the grey fox is "Wannge'e".
TheOne

Post by TheOne »

Argent, you reminded me of Girl Genius. The way the Yeagers talk is like that, only more...Russian.
Argent

Post by Argent »

TheOne wrote:Argent, you reminded me of Girl Genius. The way the Yeagers talk is like that, only more...Russian.
Yhu tink? Dem boyz zeem more Pruzhian den Roozhun to me.
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Honestly, I got the pronunciation from those Beano commercials.

"Take Beano before, they'll be no gas"

:lol:
ArcFlight

Post by ArcFlight »

Perfesser_Bear wrote:Maybe it's just me, but I always thought that since he didn't have a ring around one eye (Fido's right eye, Joey's left eye), he was Bino, short (* snerk *) for Binocular.
Oh, few! I thought I was the only one.
ArcFlight wrote:I assumed that his name, Bino, was a play on the fact that Fido and Joey have eye patches but Bino has none... You know... Binoculars... Ha ha, no patches... Just me? Please, someone make me think I'm not that crazy...
Image Image
ɑːk flʌɪt - Posts more nauseating than the Vomit Comet