Post by Obbl »

[ Sap Among The Trees ]

Title Text: what a stinker

What do you mean you called it? I totally called it :P
Douglas Collier

Re: 2014/11/10 - Sap Among The Trees

Post by Douglas Collier »

Poor Zach.
Hmm, the black cat ploy, huh? I wonder where Cory's going to try to fit in...
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
ChekeBello

Post by ChekeBello »

It was a scam but not exactly as i thought.
Why does Cory want to look pet-alike, maybe this scam in bigger than it looked at first
Gbr23

Post by Gbr23 »

Now Im more intrigued, why does Cory want to impersonate a housepet (I mean yeah there are like tons of reasons)
ImageImage
Wanna check my DeviantArt ? Here you go!
yellowcrash10

Post by yellowcrash10 »

Oh no! Now Zach is going to be late waiting for his collar to come back :(
I doubt Cory will get very far with the disguise. That is, unless he has some cologne or something :lol:

And Trinket recognizing Zach may be a hint to their origin. Hmm...
(Or they could just be random con artists who have no other significance whatsoever)
Last edited by yellowcrash10 on Mon Nov 10, 2014 1:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
I break my computer, so you don't have to! :D
You copied my entire signature? How peculiar...
Given that AB≅AB, prove that AB≇AB.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Hmmm. I think I may have a theory or two as to who those two are really: I don't think they ARE Pete and Dragon but they were there when Zack opened the door to Petes holding place (I'm blanking on the name) way back in the Oops, I Arced story line. Dumb theory but like I said, it's a theory *shrugs*.

My other theory is that those two are actually scammers and/or theives taking advantage of the animals from Babylon Gardens and stealing their belongings. I'm basing that theory off of how both Cory and the Magpie are just talking in the last panel while in the previous strip Cory was showing signs of anger towards said Magpie, making Zack believe that he never saw the Magpie before. I'm also basing this off the fact that they (Cory and the Magpie) remind me of two characters (who were also scammers) from an episode of The High Chaparral (I don't recall the episodes name, unfortunately). Then again, they could just be regular nincompoops, whose knows? I am curious as to what Cory meant by "go to confession".
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

Does... Trinket have a Cigar butt in his mouth? :shock:

(Also, I still feel that when Pete and Dragon jumped into that portal while holding hands, something went screwy in the process, hence Cilantro and Trinket. But hey, just theorizing here. No need to call to arms. ;) )
Perpetualflight

Post by Perpetualflight »

Of course you realize, THIS means war!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Huh. I doubt the critters (or just the raccoons) wouldn't like to know that Cory was trying to disguise himself as a pet. This is an interesting development. And if he's going as a cat, won't the other cats find out quickly? Most cats probably know better. Can't wait to find out.

This is going to be one of those things I'm sure that Jess will strangle Zach for. Unless Cory is a special case.
MrBlueSky7 wrote:Does... Trinket have a Cigar butt in his mouth? :shock:
It's a brush. X3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Miles the Wolf

Post by Miles the Wolf »

Wow, I never really new Zach was THAT gullible. Also, Cory, those tags have more info on them than just a name. I don't think your going to pass if someone sees the back of the tag that says: timid little rabbit.
I'm thinking of starting a Fan Fiction, should I do it? Send me a PM with some ideas and names of characters!
Blood is red, the sky is blue, this knife is sharp, and your dead too!
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

SeanWolf wrote:My other theory is that those two are actually scammers and/or theives taking advantage of the animals from Babylon Gardens and stealing their belongings. I'm basing that theory off of how both Cory and the Magpie are just talking in the last panel while in the previous strip Cory was showing signs of anger towards said Magpie, making Zack believe that he never saw the Magpie before.
Based on Cory calling Zach a "mark" (a conman's term for someone to con), I'ma say yeah, Cory's a conartist working with Trinket ;)
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

wow that's new, two critters who don't recognize the opener :mrgreen:
I wonder what will happen, if they found out :lol:
Wolfbane

Post by Wolfbane »

Congrats Cory, you now own the collar of a pet rabbit. Do with it what you will.

Unless they have some kind of magic power, that's going to do almost nothing for him outside of acting like a lost pet then stealing further belongings once inside someone's home under Zach's name... Oh...

... Oh no. Don't you dare. I'll spray you with vinegar.
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

From just looking at the black paint in the last panel, I think I can guess what is going to happen next. ;)
Oh Cory. So sly, yet so lovable.
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

I wonder if the forest animals will recognize Zach without his collar... :?:
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
valerio

Post by valerio »

It's reasonable that the skunk wants to access a territory with WAY more food and more shelter than the forest, by passing for a housepet.
With such premises, this arc promises to go as far as Christmas 8-)
Now, it would be just karma that Zach is saved from cold by Jessica.
And just ironic that Zach's followers would teach a lesson or two to the scam duo.

And yes, Cory and Trinket keeps being adorable in spite of their attitude
Douglas Collier wrote:I wonder if the forest animals will recognize Zach without his collar... :?:
Oh, they will.
He was naked the first time he met them and was introduced to them
Pecan
Game Master

Post by Pecan »

I'm sure this won't backfire on Cory and Trinket at all. I mean, they're just impersonating the unwilling patron deity of the forest.
Paige Turner - The Stargazing Polyglot! - S4 P7 E6 C4 I10 A4 L7 (SP)
Will Turner - The Timid Survivor! - S5 P4 E8 C3 I6 A10 L6 (SP)
Timothy Cotton - The Overenthusiastic Soccer Star S6 P4 E8 C5 I5 A9 L5 (Zoo)
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Falling for it; hook, line and stinker;
our hero goes and loses his identity.
He needs to be careful here our little sucker,
or this could be his last day as free.
Cory's gone and got the tag,
to become 'legal' his little game.
But what's the angle? What's the gag?
What is this Blackfur's little game?
Is he about to shop for himself?
Is he about to have his plans blossom?
Is he going to be put on the shelf
If he runs into a certain Opossum?
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

If Cory is thinking about running a reverse Pepe LePew scam on a certain Sabrina DeAngelo he better be careful...her boyfriend's a cop ( or was....do we know if he's still on suspension after the Jata incident?)
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Trinket is a girl! I new it their thieves but I was surprised that they took a collar. All Zac has to do is report it. Also that collar only appears to have Z on it so it's not the most useful item. Cory might even try to pass as an abandoned pet to the Miltons and gain from the second chance program. If not they he has a golden ring as leverage.
Hi Hi Pie
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

We never have gotten a close look at the tags, I suppose in a world where animals talk for themselves, you wouldn't need to have the name/species on it. And just because the only pets WE see with just a first letter on a round tag are Zach Marvin and Tiger doesn't mean that other pets don't have that as well. (For example Peanut probably isn't the only dog in the HP! Universe to have a bone shaped tag.)

I'm still holding out hope that we still have more to learn about Cory and things aren't exactly as they seem. I'd hate to think Rick is following the animal stereotype skunk = bad person (and not even lovable thief like Falstaff and Truck). I was hoping skunk admirers could have a third respectable skunk character to join the few non stereotype hero skunks such as Flower and Odie Colonie.

I hope this doesn't come off as an attack on Rick, it is not meant to be. In fact I say my opinion as a reflection of the admiration I have for Rick's talent and imagination.
Prof

Post by Prof »

Alright, that could be the time where Jessica comes into play. Question is only, who she will meet first... :?
Drop in and stroll around: My gallery

Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

I still say and even more strongly now that Cory is part Pete-part Dragon and Trinket is part-Dragon-part-Pete. Since they don't remember a thing about their past or who they were, its safe to say they just woke up somewhere with nothing and had no clue who they were and had to think on their feet (become con artists) in order to survive, while hoping for something bigger.
CityRedFox

Post by CityRedFox »

I wonder how famous is "the Opener" among the woodland critters and how many believer are there.

My guess is they have more or less seen or heard "the Opener", but are not that familiar. Maybe they will be surprised when they find out they just con the Opener.
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I still say and even more strongly now that Cory is part Pete-part Dragon and Trinket is part-Dragon-part-Pete. Since they don't remember a thing about their past or who they were, its safe to say they just woke up somewhere with nothing and had no clue who they were and had to think on their feet (become con artists) in order to survive, while hoping for something bigger.
I personally don't take the Pete and Dragon theory. Judging form the last line of Cory goes "Marks all blur together after a while", they've been around for a while. But it's hard to say...I am bad at predicting these things.
Acritic2

Post by Acritic2 »

Douglas Collier wrote:I wonder if the forest animals will recognize Zach without his collar... :?:
Maybe, Was he wearing it when he first met Custom Ink?
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Zach was completely 'naked' when he met the critters.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (160.98 KiB) Viewed 19537 times
Hi Hi Pie
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Never trust nice people; they always have agendas.

That's why I never break eye contact with someone holding open a door.
Just an Arc
Timmie

Post by Timmie »

Adorabunny and Adoraskunk, how cute. hehe

Now, a feral skunk trying to sneak in as a pet... I scent something amiss here...
Whozjama

Post by Whozjama »

Oh DANG he just got cheated. I bet the whole forest turns on the skunk and jackdaw for that. Possum wielding chainsaws ain't nothing to mess with I tell you h'what.
All your acorns are belong to us.
metaecho

Post by metaecho »

MrBlueSky7 wrote:Does... Trinket have a Cigar butt in his mouth? :shock:
Exactly what i thought too, before it turned out to be a paint brush. I thought that was a weird way to draw a cigar though.. xD

Anyway I'm surprised this hasn't happened before! Or maybe it has? I'm feeling deja vu..
Argent

Post by Argent »

yellowcrash10 wrote:And Trinket recognizing Zach may be a hint to their origin. Hmm...
(Or they could just be random con artists who have no other significance whatsoever)
It sounds like they're locals, just not devout. But someone's going to recognize that collar, then Cory will be in hot water.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
MrBlueSky7

Post by MrBlueSky7 »

CityRedFox wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:I still say and even more strongly now that Cory is part Pete-part Dragon and Trinket is part-Dragon-part-Pete. Since they don't remember a thing about their past or who they were, its safe to say they just woke up somewhere with nothing and had no clue who they were and had to think on their feet (become con artists) in order to survive, while hoping for something bigger.
I personally don't take the Pete and Dragon theory. Judging form the last line of Cory goes "Marks all blur together after a while", they've been around for a while. But it's hard to say...I am bad at predicting these things.
Well, it's been said before (I think) that Time is of no importance to the Demigods, so when they were mortalized, it's possible they already carried out a fraction of their sentence by now. Then again, what are the lifespans of a Skunk and Bluebird? :?
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

I knew as soon as he started to take off his tag that this would happen. There is a such thing as too nice Zach, remember that. Wonder what is going to happen, if Cory goes into the gardens with Zach's tag, then everyone will know that he isn't Zach, and that the stole the collar. What is Cory planning.

This also supports my theory of the ring being stolen. :D
(OF COURSE IT IS! HOW ELSE WOULD HE GET IT!)
Argent

Post by Argent »

We were right about it being a scam, but not what kind, and it's obviously only the first part of the scam. If Cory ends up trying to romance a black cat Pepe le Pew style I'm going to facepalm so hard...
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Argent wrote:We were right about it being a scam, but not what kind, and it's obviously only the first part of the scam. If Cory ends up trying to romance a black cat Pepe le Pew style I'm going to facepalm so hard...
If he hasn't already, I can imagine Rick is holding his breath in about it. That old skunk and cat reference is too much to pass up :D

I'm sure he's going as a cat just for a better living, but any chance to pass up the moment to say "Feral rules!" is probably on his list as well.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Prof wrote:Alright, that could be the time where Jessica comes into play. Question is only, who she will meet first... :?
I would say she'd meet the con artists first, though it would be great if she met Zach after he found out what they did and he was freaking out. She may see him as not 'The Opener of Ways', but as Zach. This could be a great story point, if she even shows up at all. She would see him in a state where he is vulnerable. I don't see as much story advancement if she finds the con artists first.

So I change my mind, it would be better if she were to see Zach first, but only after he realised what was going on.
Liam

Post by Liam »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:wow that's new, two critters who don't recognize the opener :mrgreen:
Lapsed conmen are the worst conmen.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
Perfesser_Bear

Post by Perfesser_Bear »

Apropos nothing, I suppose, but if you remember Gilligan's Island, you probably know of Alan Hale, Jr., who played the Skipper of the S.S.Minnow. I suppose all Cilantro/'Cory' and the Skipper have in common is their general build (ah, fluffy), but I recall that Alan Hale, Jr.'s wife's nickname was Trinket.
--Perfesser

Perfesser_Bear
Pundit Wannabe
Macsen

Post by Macsen »

The zealots are going to be very upset about this.

BTW: Nice new banner by Doug. :3
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

Kitch wrote:The zealots are going to be very upset about this.

BTW: Nice new banner by Doug. :3
Just noticed the new forum banner. Poor King's about to get TACKLED!
Feel my icy wrath!