2014/11/05 - All There In Black And White

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Rikunda

Re: 2014/11/05 - All There In Black And White

Post by Rikunda »

Cool a new guy! I like to pretend most of the females are male, so it doesn't matter to me what their real sex is. :D King and Bailey are one of the only male/female relationship I acknowledge. Grape and Max = male/male. :mrgreen:

So what do you think the gold ring really is? No way a feral has a gold ring, and if they did they wouldn't trade it for food out in the forest.
Quote:
Mother Teresa wrote:Being unwanted, unloved, uncared for, forgotten by everybody, I think that is a much greater hunger, a much greater poverty than the person who has nothing to eat.
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Rikunda wrote:So what do you think the gold ring really is? No way a feral has a gold ring, and if they did they wouldn't trade it for food out in the forest.
Depends on whether they want to survive through the winter or not.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Argent

Post by Argent »

There's been a bunch of suggestions as to what the gold ring is all about, back in the thread. It's worth reading.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Arvetis

Post by Arvetis »

Douglas Collier wrote:
valerio wrote:
Douglas Collier wrote:I tend to agree with you somewhat, Joel. One gay couple (two if you count the K-9 unit dogs) is quite enough
And just why should be enough?
We are currently in an age where people are deeply split on the subject of homosexuality. If you have more characters who are gay represented within a general population than are statistically accurate (most studies say 5% or less in America, usually less), then it could be taken that the author is setting an agenda. As it is, having a gay pair or two (the kangaroos and the K-9 couple) represents that figure pretty accurately - more than that is pushing it. I don't feel that family-friendly comics like Housepets! should be used to promote topics that are considered controversial in our day and age (including politics and religion).

That's just my two cents on the matter. I hope I haven't offended anyone (as is often the case when discussing sensitive topics).
The problem isn't what you and Howellfan are saying, it's the assumption underneath: that gay relationships are inherently more sexual than straight relationships. There's a perception that a straight relationship is about the love between a man and a woman, and can therefore be portrayed appropriately at any age level, but gay relationships are all butts and elbows and other unmentionables, and so cannot. It's nonsense.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

Rikunda wrote:Cool a new guy! I like to pretend most of the females are male, so it doesn't matter to me what their real sex is. :D King and Bailey are one of the only male/female relationship I acknowledge. Grape and Max = male/male. :mrgreen:

So what do you think the gold ring really is? No way a feral has a gold ring, and if they did they wouldn't trade it for food out in the forest.
Just a guess, but could it be the One Ring to rule them all, One Ring to find them, One Ring to bring them all and in the darkness bind them?
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

rourkie wrote:Cory's cute! I can't wait to see more...
All of ricks characters are cute! Also sugarbun?
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
devils

Post by devils »

Arvetis wrote: but gay relationships are all butts and elbows and other unmentionables
Elbows? Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?
Cinder:S:5 P:6 E:3 C:5 I:8 A:7 L:2
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

devils wrote:
Arvetis wrote: but gay relationships are all butts and elbows and other unmentionables
Elbows? Have I been doing it wrong this whole time?
*giggles uncontrollably*
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Arvetis wrote:The problem isn't what you and Howellfan are saying, it's the assumption underneath: that gay relationships are inherently more sexual than straight relationships. There's a perception that a straight relationship is about the love between a man and a woman, and can therefore be portrayed appropriately at any age level, but gay relationships are all butts and elbows and other unmentionables, and so cannot. It's nonsense.
I don't mind it so long as it doesn't get to said point - and I do have faith that Rick would never take it that far (especially not with Housepets!). I was being a little bit paranoid earlier and, like I said - I'm sorry if I came off as a worry-wart.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

Housepets! will never lead to sexual themes beyond occasional subtle innuendo (not unlike what gets snuck into cartoons primarily for children.) Don't you worry about it. :3
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Lets wait for Rick to confirm what gender Cori is. I think she's a girl for now.

I hope they split Pete and Dragon up into different mortal bodies. It would be weird for Dragon to be put in a male body and Pete to be put into a female body.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Re: D'oh! Rowrbazzle!

Post by Obbl »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Lets wait for Rick to confirm what gender Cori is. I think she's a girl for now.
rickgriffin wrote:And also, I'm not sure what tragedy has befallen the strip that there happens to be a male character who is flirting uncomfortably with another male character. Surely this thing has never happened before in the history of silly cartoon fiction.
Hard to be more clear in my opinion ;)
Amazee Dayzee

Post by Amazee Dayzee »

Kind of weird to have a male calling ANYBODY sugar buns, but Cori is so cute, that I will let it pass.
SeanWolf
Keeper of the Sacred Fics

Post by SeanWolf »

I'm gonna throw my two cents in and say that maybe he/she is a celestial being like Pete? That would be an interesting idea, to me, but I can dream, can I?

BTW, this is the first time I seen a discussion on one character last for a couple of forum posts.
Host Of The Realm Of The Metal Wolf: Where Metal Is King
Creator of the ongoing fic - HousepetZ: Survivor Tails
Game Master of Apollo City
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

My two cents: Cory's actions are likely sarcastic in nature. A way of showing his disdain towards Zach's status, and his way of asserting that Zach is no better than he (which ironically would be a viewpoint Zach shares). The only reason Cory is likely talking to Zach is because Zach has connections that would personally benefit him.
There are dissenters of this "religion" that the forest animals have set up for Zach, and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to guess that Cory is one of them.

Although, really at this point all theories on Cory's personality are completely invalid for one reason: We haven't seen him interact this way with any other characters yet (or by extension any other characters at all). It's too early to assume this is how he always acts. Inevitably Rick will have him interact with another character and prove just how he really is. Maybe not now, maybe not even in this arc, but if it's already drumming up this much controversy it's going to be addressed at some point, before it blows up into a topic with as much heat behind it as the likes of the Cosmic Game.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

Cory could be the avatar for kitsune attempting to keep Zach away from the Temple for some Pete related reason. The temple may even have the power to revive Pete's immortal self, the temple is not powerless if their are still gargoyles guarding it. What else is there to guard?
Hi Hi Pie
rourkie

Post by rourkie »

matthew Wolf wrote:
rourkie wrote:Cory's cute! I can't wait to see more...
All of ricks characters are cute! Also sugarbun?
True, but it's no secret that I appreciate the heavier-set characters when they show up. ~<3
--
"Some things are beyond the logic of our eyes and ears..."
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Amazee Dayzee wrote:Kind of weird to have a male calling ANYBODY sugar buns, but Cori is so cute, that I will let it pass.
Just for clarification, calling someone "sugarbun" is the same as calling them a sweetie, whereas calling them "sugar buns" means you admire their buttocks.
Mickey the Luxray wrote:My two cents: Cory's actions are likely sarcastic in nature. A way of showing his disdain towards Zach's status, and his way of asserting that Zach is no better than he (which ironically would be a viewpoint Zach shares). The only reason Cory is likely talking to Zach is because Zach has connections that would personally benefit him.
There are dissenters of this "religion" that the forest animals have set up for Zach, and it wouldn't be too much of a stretch to guess that Cory is one of them.

Although, really at this point all theories on Cory's personality are completely invalid for one reason: We haven't seen him interact this way with any other characters yet (or by extension any other characters at all). It's too early to assume this is how he always acts. Inevitably Rick will have him interact with another character and prove just how he really is. Maybe not now, maybe not even in this arc, but if it's already drumming up this much controversy it's going to be addressed at some point, before it blows up into a topic with as much heat behind it as the likes of the Cosmic Game.
This is plausible, though we've seen no evidence Cory even knows who Zach is. I'm sure we'll see Cory interact with other folks eventually.
Number9Dysonsphere wrote:Cory could be the avatar for kitsune attempting to keep Zach away from the Temple for some Pete related reason. The temple may even have the power to revive Pete's immortal self, the temple is not powerless if their are still gargoyles guarding it. What else is there to guard?
The Great Kitsune doesn't have an avatar. You raise interesting questions, though, some of which we may well get answers for in this arc!

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
IdleCurator

Post by IdleCurator »

The big question that I need answered is when the mana that Pete gave Keene will become relevant. In the past it was argued that without the game such items would become useless but the gargoyles around the temple have to be powered by something. I think Keene is trying to gain entry into the temple in order to try and use the mana like the note says below.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (108.11 KiB) Viewed 8378 times
Hi Hi Pie
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

RandomGeekNamedBrent wrote:
Mickey the Luxray wrote:Back when I was in the brony fandom, a friend of mine in the fandom made a story called "One Small Favor."

It started with one tiny favor- retrieve some rubies. But quickly things spiraled out of control, causing the main character to have to run all over the land doing increasingly arduous and difficult favors for everyone from the lowly farmer Dinkleberg (this story was rife with references) to the captain of the country's standing army.

I have a sneaking suspicion that this arc will be somewhat like that story. Might just be me.
it's called a chain of deals and it's common in fiction. MLP actually did one in the actual show last season :P
The TV Show "M*A*S*H* ( ask your parents about it, kids ) did four or five episodes with variations of that theme.

Argent wrote:I think the point has been thoroughly covered by now.

Moving on, what's Cilantro/Cory[1] up to?

[1] Could the name imply a split personality, is dichromacity a hint as well? Or is it just an obvious alias at work?
Well....if tonight's installment has him saying "See...I don't have the ring on me right now...Yea I felt it wasn't safe out here in the open where any Tom, Dick or Truck could swipe it, you know what I mean, Pal? Sure you do. Then, I sees this big beautiful temple, and I says to myself, I says....dat's a good place to hide a ring! You on the same page with me? Good, good. My problem now is....I can't get in there to retrieves it, with that ferret and fox hanging around. Got the picture, Bunbun? Now you...you have it made in the shade...not only can you get in there, they want you too get in there! So whatta you say you retrieve my little bauble for me?" We may get a better idea.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Dissension wrote:
Amazee Dayzee wrote:Kind of weird to have a male calling ANYBODY sugar buns, but Cori is so cute, that I will let it pass.
Just for clarification, calling someone "sugarbun" is the same as calling them a sweetie, whereas calling them "sugar buns" means you admire their buttocks.
That reminds me of me mixing up "backside" and "back side"... :lol:
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Arvetis

Post by Arvetis »

There's also the fact that he's talking to a literal bun.
valerio

Post by valerio »

...and all of a sudden, thinking about the 'golden ring' Cory mentioned made me think of the nuptial rings of King and Bailey.
Cory = possible reincarnation of Pete and Dragon + nuptial rings...
Oh, no...
Argent

Post by Argent »

If it was just stolen property why would he specifically talk about getting it appraised?
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Well, I figure there would be fewer questions asked of Zach getting a gold ring appraised than Cory, so maybe he wants Zach to fence it for him unawares. But we'll see what's up eventually
Argent

Post by Argent »

If he wants stolen goods fenced, why would he have anyone but the fence appraising it?

I still think it's a con.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

I was using fence in the middleman sense, though I suppose it's not quite accurate terminology. And I do think it's a con of some sort, but wouldn't tricking Zach into selling stolen property basically be a con as well? :?
SergeiTheFox

Post by SergeiTheFox »

I have noticed that people are doing some kind of reference regarding the gold ring, but I'm not sure what it is. Anyone willing to enlighten me?
oh hey look more text

now it looks pretty

and slanted uwu

I check this profile like once a year or so, so if you need to reach me I'm on telegram @awootimestwo
furlong90

Post by furlong90 »

I think cory is our first outright homosexual character I say that because his build looks more male. That. Is. Awesome.......pawsome...yes I said that
Backlash

Post by Backlash »

I'm sorry, but is anyone else disappointed the first panel is so small? This arc is called Rabbit's Foot after all, so I'm gonna be upset if we don't get a better view of Zach's feet in the snow :P
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

Honestly the sugarbuns quote didn't phase me much idk why lol
ArcWolf
Just An Arc

Post by ArcWolf »

Is it because you're a sugarbun yourself?
Just an Arc
Arvetis

Post by Arvetis »

Backlash wrote:I'm sorry, but is anyone else disappointed the first panel is so small? This arc is called Rabbit's Foot after all, so I'm gonna be upset if we don't get a better view of Zach's feet in the snow :P
Why does Karishad have an alt account?
Backlash

Post by Backlash »

Arvetis wrote:Why does Karishad have an alt account?
Because Karishad
Attachments
94194f10ed3b90cb50b26879a2b7901a_400x400.jpeg
94194f10ed3b90cb50b26879a2b7901a_400x400.jpeg (29.67 KiB) Viewed 8251 times
Prof

Post by Prof »

"Hey guys, attending your annual con artist meeting? Already planning the next big scam?"

Zach: *sighs* "A good day to you too, Jess."

:roll:
Drop in and stroll around: My gallery

D-Rock

Post by D-Rock »

Backlash wrote:
Arvetis wrote:Why does Karishad have an alt account?
Because Karishad
Somehow a better reason than "because I'm Batman."
Faith doesn't change circumstances. Faith changes me.
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

furlong90 wrote:I think cory is our first outright homosexual character I say that because his build looks more male. That. Is. Awesome.......pawsome...yes I said that
Sorry, the first gay characters were Roosevelt and Bruce.

Also, just in case the reference to Karishad having an alternate account wasn't obviously a joke, Karishad is the only Karishad.

matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

ArcWolf wrote:Is it because you're a sugarbun yourself?
I haven't ever heared the word sugarbun before
jrh150482

Post by jrh150482 »

I'll go with the skunk being female until such time as it's conclusively shown otherwise.
*in Christopher Walken style*

I have a fever... and the only prescription... is more Kingley!
Dissension

Re: D'oh! Rowrbazzle!

Post by Dissension »

rickgriffin wrote: I'm not sure what tragedy has befallen the strip that there happens to be a male character who is flirting uncomfortably with another male character. Surely this thing has never happened before in the history of silly cartoon fiction.
That and Rick's Twitter tirade over people ignoring the gender cues he uses aren't enough for you?