2014/09/10 - Consultation Prize

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Argent

Re: 2014/09/10 - Consultation Prize

Post by Argent »

Editing memories is changing who you are. Changing King's memories of being Joel would be a jerk move.

Also, everyone thinks that "Up/Above" refers to heaven. It could also refer to how humans are above animals in this world, or it could simply be a reference to height. "You chose up, up you go, you're going to be Joel, the tall one!" Think game show logic.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

NINEAILS!
Feel my icy wrath!
D3ath_0ps

Post by D3ath_0ps »

My brain hurts. Ok. I'm going to go with GameColbra here and call it a day. Out of all the theories, this seems plausable and I'm going to leave it at that. See you guys on Friday! :P
DingoVolf
Location: It was unwise to wake the 3-eyed cat, but we did it anyways, and now look at us. Whatever you do,

Post by DingoVolf »

Dissension wrote:Don't expect to see Pete, Spirit Dragon, or Great Kitsune again. They were written off to appease angry fans. It makes no sense for them to continue showing up. The end of The Game was brought about to move back to more lighthearted strips, the slice-of-life stuff that was the comic's emphasis till a few years back.
Gah, I remember that kerfluffle.
I've been absolutely loving the steady dose of cosmic game, but it's just not sustainable for a long-running strip, is it? I'm going to hold out hope that post cosmic game HP! is at least more engaging than "lasagna cat" without "lasagna cat", but time will tell.

Also, to join in on the fun of predictions:
Regardless of which box he chooses, Joel will be transformed in to a space-whale who protects the universe from pixelated 2D icons of pastires. Bailey becomes Paul from accounting, because it would totally be like Paul to have been a talking dog, it just fits. Everyone else joins a hive mind and reforms the gardens into a techno dance night-club pyramid.
thelonewolf19

Post by thelonewolf19 »

........Joel looks like a monkey.....
Give me strength!
Kaeto

Post by Kaeto »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: Or maybe one package allows him the powers of a demigod....

"Could be something good, could be a clunk, could be a check for $25,000 ! Go get it!" ( An Internet to the GameShow geek who can name the reference. )

What is 'Lets make a Deal' Alex?

(And another game show reference) :D :D
Forward The Dinochrome!
Indagare

Post by Indagare »

I'm trusting Rick and his story-telling abilities. I'm kind of hoping that Dissension is wrong, because it would be sad to have something done or not done because of fan backlash - though it has happened before with the catnip arc.

Personally, I would hope that everyone gets some sort of happiness in this - even Pete and Dragon.
Image"Remember kids, only you can prevent a fiery apocalypse!"
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Man, Joel looks more and more awesome by the day.

That said, King forever. <3

(Edit: Also... puzzling. Pete and Dragon won't remember... So... Will something jog their memory? Will they even meet? This is all so confusing! And exciting! And happy ending ahoy! <3)
Last edited by Ryusuta on Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:55 am, edited 2 times in total.
Argent

Post by Argent »

thelonewolf19 wrote:........Joel looks like a monkey.....
Well, technically, he is.
Obbl
Smiley McSmiles

Post by Obbl »

Indagare wrote:it would be sad to have something done or not done because of fan backlash - though it has happened before with the catnip arc.
Rick has stated that he already felt uncomfortable with the catnip arc when he posted it, and the fan backlash merely confirmed to him that it was not the direction he wanted to go.
Of course, the Cosmic Game had to end sooner or later and likely would have ended up with basically the same outcome. I think the only change due to the fans is that Rick made finishing it more of a priority. ;)
Ryusuta

Post by Ryusuta »

Argent wrote:
...That's "ape," and no, they share a common ancestry. >.<
Argent

Post by Argent »

Ryusuta wrote:
Argent wrote:
...That's "ape," and no, they share a common ancestry. >.<
Who can keep primates straight? It's hard enough with all the mustelids.
Gesque

Post by Gesque »

The thing about Japanese Mythology and the kitsune is that even though they're tricksters, kitsune are also known to give boons and rewards to people that they like or have helped them. There's one story where a kitsune helps a peasant farmer trick a host of wicked shogun and merchants into giving him (the farmer, not the kitsune herself) all of their wealth. I'd say that Joel falls into this category, and I'm willing to bet that rewards are either: go back to being human, but have your past cleared of its crimes or go back to being a corgi and stay with Bailey.

Of course, the REAL funny ending would be if the box had a statue inside that simply said, "WAKE UP" on it.

Also, without knowing anything about Japanese kanji, the symbols on each box are opposites. One looks like a right-side up T with a dash while the other is an upside-down T with a dash. I'm willing to bet that the choice is human / corgi or Heaven / corgi, but we'll see.

Mod Edit: If yours is the most recent post, use the edit button to say more and avoid double posting
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

You will now all see his pupils as the dots in the second panel. He no longer has closed eyes. His face is really weird now. I do love this update. Wonder what the Surprise is.

I do hope it isn't King/Joel never meeting Pete. You know that could happen.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Gesque wrote:Also, without knowing anything about Japanese kanji, the symbols on each box are opposites. One looks like a right-side up T with a dash while the other is an upside-down T with a dash.
上 up/above
下 down/below
deepskycyan

Post by deepskycyan »

What is this? Tarot becoming normal?

We've always known Tarot as the wise/omniscient one, and I can't help but fear that if she were to lose her abilities, Rick would miss opportunities to crack jokes which would involve/require such a character. But hopefully, this may lead to greater things. Change is good! :)
Argent wrote:
Gesque wrote:Also, without knowing anything about Japanese kanji, the symbols on each box are opposites. One looks like a right-side up T with a dash while the other is an upside-down T with a dash.
上 up/above
下 down/below
Interesting, I can't read Japanese either, but I'm certain they also mean the same thing in Chinese.
"Reality continues to ruin my life." -B. Watterson
domalais

Post by domalais »

Buretsu wrote:For anyone wondering:

Left Box: "Up"
Right Box: "Down"

Wild supposition: One box turns Joel back into a dog, the other turns Bailey human.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Argent wrote:
上 up/above
下 down/below
Interesting. So one could be a good thing and a bad thing that he has to choose from. I am looking forward to that choice. I hope he chooses good, but I do REALLY want to see what would be in the bad.
domalais wrote:

Wild supposition: One box turns Joel back into a dog, the other turns Bailey human.
OH! Wouldn't it be great if that was the choice. But which would be the good, and which would be the bad...

I think Dog good, human bad. Because of Fox.

Mod Edit: Avoid double posting by using the edit button to add more if your post is the most recent
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

domalais wrote:

Really hope this is the case - maybe it'd be a watch with Bailey's fate? Bailey could see what it's like to be human for a while and one of them would put away their watch at the end of the experience (Bailey to stay a dog or Joel/King to stay human).
Last edited by Douglas Collier on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

These cliff hangers.
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Kyderra wrote:These cliff hangers.
I wonder if Rick is thinking 'If they think THIS is a cliff-hanger, wait until they see Fridays!!
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Welsh Halfwit wrote:
Kyderra wrote:These cliff hangers.
I wonder if Rick is thinking 'If they think THIS is a cliff-hanger, wait until they see Fridays!!
Oh no. Yep, that is probably what is happening. :|
Azal

Post by Azal »

On Tarot becoming "normal" I don't think it may be the case. "Your abilities will diminish. Sparks remain, but the power of a demigod is no longer backing them." I think that might mean Tarot and Sabrina will still have some of the spooky side of things, just not battle mage and plane jumping anymore. Just toned down.

And on Kitsune's box choice possibly being cruel. I think no matter what Joel chooses, it will be good for him. He does after all have a policy of intrinsic benevolence. This is the other reward because this is the end of the game, the one that's been waiting. Also... I would like to note, and I might be reading into this a bit much, but note his necklace, the yin yang. To grossly oversimplify the concept of it, it may show that he's about to balance the game, the harm that was brought by the Pete and Dragon, to boon the mortals, especially the third partier who was most affected.

As to why the choices... well this is the same character who after waking King up left a statue of himself making a face.
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

Azal wrote:On Tarot becoming "normal" I don't think it may be the case. "Your abilities will diminish. Sparks remain, but the power of a demigod is no longer backing them." I think that might mean Tarot and Sabrina will still have some of the spooky side of things, just not battle mage and plane jumping anymore. Just toned down.
I agree 100% with that.

One thing I think may happen, is that they will live their lives as mortals in Babylon. That would be funny to see, even if it says they won't remember.
Attachments
DERP!
DERP!
derp.PNG (37.89 KiB) Viewed 11328 times
Last edited by dtlux1 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
IceKitsune

Post by IceKitsune »

domalais wrote:

I like this idea, I like it a lot.
gamepopper

Post by gamepopper »

Joel: Uhh...Pete, can I have my watch back now?

Pete: How about you choose your prize, you might find something better?
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

gamepopper wrote:Joel: Uhh...Pete, can I have my watch back now?

Pete: How about you choose your prize, you might find something better?
Yes. Wonder what he will find better in there, if it is better.
valerio

Post by valerio »

IceKitsune wrote:
domalais wrote:

Rick's final revenge: "I don't get the story as I wanted it, YOU don't get the characters as you wanted them!"
Argent

Post by Argent »

Azal wrote:On Tarot becoming "normal" I don't think it may be the case. "Your abilities will diminish. Sparks remain, but the power of a demigod is no longer backing them." I think that might mean Tarot and Sabrina will still have some of the spooky side of things, just not battle mage and plane jumping anymore. Just toned down.
What's going to happen to Dragon Astral Travel Service?
dtlux1 wrote:Yes. Wonder what he will find better in there, if it is better.
"I wonder what the vintners buy, one half so precious as the stuff they sell."
Last edited by Argent on Wed Sep 10, 2014 1:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Does anyone love Kitsune's expression in panel eight? I know I do! :D
Douglas Collier

Post by Douglas Collier »

Argent wrote:
What's going to happen to Dragon Astral Travel Service?
And Hyperreal Sensurround imaginating?
Douglas isn't my real name, but because of a name block put on me by a higher-order being known as Djinni, I can't say my real name.
aBritishfox

Post by aBritishfox »

Xane wrote:Never ever trust a kitsune! No matter how gosh-darned cute he is!

Nah, I bet it's a good prize!
But you can trust THIS Kitsune right? I'm an adorable pooltoy Kitsune...right?...right?
Did you know my friends call me "The Great Pontificator"! Or was it "The Great Time Waster"?

twitter: https://twitter.com/aBritishfox

Sometimes, being a Sentient Inflatable means air is the only answer for true happiness
WireWolf

Post by WireWolf »

Mmmmm. I'm now sorta worried that Rick's going to completely drop the whole supernatural angle. Which would really suck. Cerberus, Great Kitsune, Dragon and Pete....They're all fascinating characters and really helped set this comic apart from a lot of other ones. Hell it was the 'Great Game' that initially pulled me into the story.
Sure, the slice of life stuff is fun, but having a nice overarching plot like this one has always been amazing and the lead up to the start of the game by Dragon and Pete had become such a central part to the story that it's quick resolution and the shuffling off of Pete and Dragon feel rushed.
As I described earlier it feels like whiplash. One moment Pete's hitting rock bottom, his pain and despair overwhelming even Cerberus seemed sympathetic and Dragon realizing she was a horrible person.....To suddenly it's like all of that stuff hadn't happened. Pete and Dragon are shoved into the background and seem fine and consigned to their loss whereas before they were freaking out and suddenly their being bundled up out of screen and the scene shifts back to King/Joel and Kitsune talking about his boon. Mood whiplash. >.<

This reminds me about something at the end of the Ravenor by Dan Abnett.
Closure is overrated.
What are they then but Brutes? ‘Tis vice alone that constitutes. Th’enchanting wand and magic bowl,
The exterior form of Man they wear,But are in fact both Wolf and Bear,
The transformation’s in the Soul.
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Kaeto wrote:
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote: Or maybe one package allows him the powers of a demigod....

"Could be something good, could be a clunk, could be a check for $25,000 ! Go get it!" ( An Internet to the GameShow geek who can name the reference. )

What is 'Lets make a Deal' Alex?

(And another game show reference) :D :D
Close, but no cigar..more obscure than that...think Chuck Barris ....

valerio

Post by valerio »

oh dear :shock:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Bucky-Roo

Post by Bucky-Roo »

WireWolf wrote:Mmmmm. I'm now sorta worried that Rick's going to completely drop the whole supernatural angle. Which would really suck. Cerberus, Great Kitsune, Dragon and Pete....They're all fascinating characters and really helped set this comic apart from a lot of other ones. Hell it was the 'Great Game' that initially pulled me into the story.
Sure, the slice of life stuff is fun, but having a nice overarching plot like this one has always been amazing and the lead up to the start of the game by Dragon and Pete had become such a central part to the story that it's quick resolution and the shuffling off of Pete and Dragon feel rushed.
As I described earlier it feels like whiplash. One moment Pete's hitting rock bottom, his pain and despair overwhelming even Cerberus seemed sympathetic and Dragon realizing she was a horrible person.....To suddenly it's like all of that stuff hadn't happened. Pete and Dragon are shoved into the background and seem fine and consigned to their loss whereas before they were freaking out and suddenly their being bundled up out of screen and the scene shifts back to King/Joel and Kitsune talking about his boon. Mood whiplash. >.<

Closure is overrated.
As much as I'm enjoying the cosmic games, I'm totally fine ending it for now. From all the drama, I think it'll be nice taking a break from it. Anyway, all this might come back in future arcs :D But for now, I just can't wait to see what happens next
Hello, my baby
Hello, my honey
Hello, my ragtime gaaal
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Bucky-Roo wrote:
WireWolf wrote:Mmmmm. I'm now sorta worried that Rick's going to completely drop the whole supernatural angle. Which would really suck. Cerberus, Great Kitsune, Dragon and Pete....They're all fascinating characters and really helped set this comic apart from a lot of other ones. Hell it was the 'Great Game' that initially pulled me into the story.

Closure is overrated.
As much as I'm enjoying the cosmic games, I'm totally fine ending it for now. From all the drama, I think it'll be nice taking a break from it. Anyway, all this might come back in future arcs :D But for now, I just can't wait to see what happens next
Well we could revive the Cerb goes out on a date with Fox idea :)
dtlux1

Post by dtlux1 »

valerio wrote:
IceKitsune wrote:
domalais wrote:
Rick's final revenge: "I don't get the story as I wanted it, YOU don't get the characters as you wanted them!"
Oh no. I could see Rick doing that.

"King stays a Joel after Bailey is turned human, then gets arrested because he is still wanted for escaping. Bailey is now left as a human with no one to turn to and has nothing to do. Fox now has to go through life without King, making his best friend Bino. Then they all live with bad lives forever. THE END!"

THEN JOEL COULD NEVER SAVE MARTIN FROM THE GHOSTS OF... Oops, wrong story... :P

But really, that isn't how it will end. We all know that.

Welp, that :P didn't really work out... I guess that is why you don't put them behind spoilers.
WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:Well we could revive the Cerb goes out on a date with Fox idea :)
That was an idea at a time? Great, now you are going to have me thinking about that, and laughing at the idea a lot. Then also thinking about it more.
Last edited by dtlux1 on Wed Sep 10, 2014 3:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Argent

Post by Argent »

Let's see, what loose ends do we have:

Tarot's elevator.
The pastel angel buttons.
Keene's lump of mana.
The giant feather.
The golden kitsune statue.
King's fate watch.
The lantern that signals Cerberus.
The gadget that stings a bit.
Pete's temple.

Have I missed anything?
Cesco

Post by Cesco »

Great Kitsune is being pure magnificence now. He's best in expressions! :D End of the game, at last. The powers loss of Tarot and Sabrina shouldn't be problematic, and think of this, now you two are a bit more free (you can stay with Peanut all the time and moments you want, Tarot)... ;) Epic way to introduce the "consolation" prize for Pete and Spirit Dragon. :lol: Be a mortal isn't that bad, you'll learn lot of things, and hopefully you won't remember anything of your previous life as demigods. :P What an honour for Joel. :) Please Great Kitsune, let the final sur-prize be something good. Overall, you said to like the people of this universe. If you want to make Joel happy, like feel in Heaven, let him turn as our lovely corgi till the rest of his days, he knows what will do, then...
Great Kitsude didn't drink anything till now. Right, Sabrina, order another milkshake, one more won't be a problem after the gallons ordered by the other Daryl. :P The Keene's "gold mine" credit card will pay the final bill. :P
gamepopper wrote:I'm sure Karishad is Kitsune's mortal world disguise, since they are both mischievous with a joker behaviour. Plus Kitsune likes the HP universe so much so why wouldn't he constantly go down when he's there, not to mention Karishad has the unexplained ability to even fool the gods...
I like to think of that too, but maybe that attitude is just in the nature of foxes. They play with mind tricks. :P