2013/09/11 - Cat's Out Of The Bag

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
RioluNation

Re: 2013/09/11 - Cat's Out Of The Bag

Post by RioluNation »

zephyrtobiaswolf wrote:A hunk and a prince? Aww you poor male cats, all your girlfriends may soon be booking tickets out of BG :lol:
Don't forget those poor dogs who are cat lovers. xD
My Facebook page: Spartan Lucario
Follow me on Twitter:Lucarionation
Follow my roleplaying twitter!: Fox the Lucario
Follow me on tumblr: Lucarionation
My YouTube Channel: Lucarionation
Let's all get along. =D
valerio

Post by valerio »

Peanut is so going to love this visit! :lol:
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

Sleet wrote:If fans circulate things enough, they become canon, right?
Correction: they can become canon. Just because something is popular with fans, it doesn't always mean the creator makes it canon. A good example is shipping, no matter how much a large group of fans want a currently un-canon relationship to be cannon, it all depends on what the creator has planned for the characters. But that doesn't mean it may never become canon, because the power of persuasion and influence can sometimes be supprisingly powerful. ;) :D
I'm sure you already know all this though, so... pancakes!
Last edited by CHAOKOCartoons on Thu Sep 12, 2013 6:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImageImageImage
Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Sleet wrote:If fans circulate things enough, they become canon, right?
I think it's called fanon at that point. At least, until it's included in the comic/show/whatever.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Liam

Post by Liam »

So, he's from either the Seychelles or São Tomé and Príncipe?
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
copper
Puppy Wrangler

Post by copper »

For all of you wondering about Buwara, it is the fan name for a nation of Leopards in Africa that Rick mentioned in a post. Here is the post.

http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... 92#p130792
My characters
Everybody has a story to tell. What's yours?
Argent

Post by Argent »

Ah, so it was a game of telephone all along. Pity, I liked the idea of someone playing a con game on the ferrets.

Regarding Rick's referenced post...

I don't think that it *becomes* any more science fiction, the science fiction nature is inherent in the setting... as soon as you take the setting seriously, just as the romance is inherent in the relationships, and so on. Science fiction in this case is simply a tag that has come to be applied, for the lack of a better term, to dedicating the same kind of internal consistency and logic to fantastic elements of a story that mysteries and detective novels apply to quotidian details. As soon as you take the background seriously, if the background isn't "this world, in the present or past or maybe near future if you ignore technological innovations", that's science fiction simply because no better term has evolved to describe it. Which leads to stories similar to Cold Comfort Farm being classified as science fiction now, though when it was written I don't think the distinction between SF and mainstream had become evident.

I once read a science fiction story about what if this kind of "taking fantastic elements seriously" had been adopted by "mainstream" writers, back in the 20th century, so that it became part of mainstream writing while science fiction was only used to describe space opera. Of course, in this world, that is science fiction, in that world, a story about the "success" of science fiction wouldn't be science fiction at all.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
King_Crimson

Post by King_Crimson »

i love jata's eyes at the end. he just has this look of "yeah i'm awesome i know it"
WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

tenta wrote:
bhPixelFire wrote:So is he a cheetah or a lepard.......I CAN'T SPELL
> Lepard

Yeah, defenitively a Def Leppard. :P

It's Leopard Part 6..... It's really Bill Cosby wearing a 'Mission Impossible' mask! The sweater is a dead giveaway! :)
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

zephyrtobiaswolf wrote:A hunk and a prince? Aww you poor male cats, all your girlfriends may soon be booking tickets out of BG :lol:
Nope. I bet they'll be too excited and just swim across the Atlantic to get there. :lol:
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

oh boy, let's speculate what else will happen 8-)

- I wouldn't be suprised if Daryl and Jata are pen pals, because Daryl celebrates Kwanzaa and they celebrate it in Africa too, so maybe Daryl got the Idea from Jata. That means maybe Daryl will have a role in this Arc

- Every Catgirl and Squeack will chase after Jata.

- Funny Stuff will happen

- Jata will have enough and talks to them

- We learn the true meaning of Kwanzaa

- They all go to the House of the Wolves and we will see how they do a Karaokeversion of "Welcome to the Jungle"

- It will be awesome

I think that could happen. That or I'm completly wrong and the Arc will turn out much different :mrgreen:
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

They don't actually celebrate Kwanzaa in Africa.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Humorous speculation:

Keene: Everyone! Prince Jata has an announcement!
Jata: *coughs* ... I have come from Africa in search for the one known as "Princess Periwinkle"!
Grape: *Drops dead*
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

King_Crimson wrote:i love jata's eyes at the end. he just has this look of "yeah i'm awesome i know it"
Now I'm thinking of him singing "I'm sexy and I know it."

I prefer "Moves like Jata.", though.
I've got the moves like Jata,
I charm the belles like Jata,
I hunt gazzelles like Jata,
I've got the moooooooooves like Jata!
copper wrote:For all of you wondering about Buwara, it is the fan name for a nation of Leopards in Africa that Rick mentioned in a post. Here is the post.

http://www.housepetscomic.com/forums/vi ... 92#p130792
Thank you ever so much for linking that post!
Argent wrote:Regarding Rick's referenced post...

I don't think that it *becomes* any more science fiction, the science fiction nature is inherent in the setting... as soon as you take the setting seriously, just as the romance is inherent in the relationships, and so on. Science fiction in this case is simply a tag that has come to be applied, for the lack of a better term, to dedicating the same kind of internal consistency and logic to fantastic elements of a story that mysteries and detective novels apply to quotidian details. As soon as you take the background seriously, if the background isn't "this world, in the present or past or maybe near future if you ignore technological innovations", that's science fiction simply because no better term has evolved to describe it. Which leads to stories similar to Cold Comfort Farm being classified as science fiction now, though when it was written I don't think the distinction between SF and mainstream had become evident.

I once read a science fiction story about what if this kind of "taking fantastic elements seriously" had been adopted by "mainstream" writers, back in the 20th century, so that it became part of mainstream writing while science fiction was only used to describe space opera. Of course, in this world, that is science fiction, in that world, a story about the "success" of science fiction wouldn't be science fiction at all.
The problem is that, when Rick first created the comic, he simply thought of "Hey, let's draw a talking and bipedal cat and dog goofing around together, it's gonna be comical!" with no backround development behind the setting: It was made for humor, not as a serious, young adult story. The same could be said for when he added the grove arc and Pete (The giant feather was hilarious, I nearly cracked in full laughter!), Joel's transfiguration into King, and the cosmic Dungeons & Dragons parody. It was all for fun, with the characters and events portrayed actually mattering, not the causes and concequences behind them.

However, as Rick grew, so did his mind, and as his mind grew, so did his aspirations and writting and plot development.
That's why, since a few months, I've been suspecting that, if Rick was able to go back in time to 2008, he would not make Housepets!, and make a more serious and elaborate story on a different setting, instead.
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Argent

Post by Argent »

I guess where I'm going is that science fiction has expanded in all kinds of directions to label stuff "SF" that isn't really what you;d have thought of as SF in the early 20th century, just because there wasn't any better label.

And I'm glad he didn't, because I really like the way he mixes the jelly of wackiness with the serious taste of peanut butter.
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
HundKatzeMaus

Post by HundKatzeMaus »

Sleet wrote:They don't actually celebrate Kwanzaa in Africa.
Sorry, my bad :oops:
max7345
Location: Yuma, AZ (Also known as drought-city and oven-town during the Summer)

Post by max7345 »

GameCobra wrote:Humorous speculation:

Keene: Everyone! Prince Jata has an announcement!
Jata: *coughs* ... I have come from Africa in search for the one known as "Princess Periwinkle"!
Grape: *Drops dead*
Hahaha!! I can totally see that happening. xD
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

TheOne wrote:
housepetscomic.com wrote: Dissention=Site Admin
Voice of Neo: Oooh, upgrades!
Dissension wrote:I've been an admin nearly a quarter-year!
Yes, but your text said "devil skirll" before. Now it actually says "site admin."
TheOne wrote:
somebody wrote: ...Nigerian prince flooding my inbox...
The forum link did say Jata needed help with a bank... Maybe he's in financial trouble? That could also explain the cab. (Limo=$2000, cab=$53?)
Dissension wrote:My links to the discussion don't really have anything to do with the comic's plot. In this instance, I was making reference to the well-publicized e-mail schemes in which someone receives an electronic note from an alleged "African Prince" saying the sender's assets have been frozen and they'll reward the recipient handsomely for a small, one-time cash infusion of... say... $25,000, just enough to bribe the authorities.
I know the link isn't canon, (or even close) but I figure it's a small step up from most of the WMDG that most of us commenters enjoy. I figure that you might have a better knowledge of what's happening behind the scenes, due to your closer (than mine) ties to Rick.
TheOne wrote: Dissention=Site Admin
Voice of Neo: Oooh, upgrades!
Dissension wrote: I've been an admin nearly a quarter-year!
Silly Zealot wrote:
I think Neo (confirmed: TheOne is indeed yet another alias for mister Anderson.) has been away from the forums for a while, as Rick finally decides to place his squirrel alter-ego at his same level.
Next stop, his two personalities merge into one and a wild Rickssenssion the squirret appears!
I don't know about Mr. Anderson... Actually my last name is Jones... I guess I could join MIB...
I've been on the forums recently, just lurking in the background, reading and observing everyone's posts.
*continues lurking*
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Gamewolf67

Post by Gamewolf67 »

copper wrote:Well, Jata sure does enjoy the attention, if his expression in the last panel says anything.

Geeze, a prince, and built like a tank.... even Grape has googoo eyes here!

Second panel Jata face is my favorite by far.
Nah. Fourth panel.
Feel my icy wrath!
CHAOKOCartoons
Banner Artist
Location: On this 3 dimensional shape we call "The place we happen to exist I guess?"

Post by CHAOKOCartoons »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:We learn the true meaning of Kwanzaa
Finaly! my life will be comple--
Aw man! Now I'll never know!! *says as I sit on my computer that is connected to the internet*
ImageImageImageImage
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

And how do you know?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

WhoElseButQuagmire

Post by WhoElseButQuagmire »

Render wrote:Sniffing Peanut is awesome enough for me.
WEBQ sniffsniffsniffs Peanut. "Interesting aroma....but I'm not sure awesome is the word I'd use to discribe it..."
Nohbody

Post by Nohbody »

Silly Zealot wrote:
And how do you know?
Because it's a holiday created by someone in the US who mashed together various African beliefs?
LordWolpertinger

Post by LordWolpertinger »

HundKatzeMaus wrote:oh boy, let's speculate what else will happen 8-)

- I wouldn't be suprised if Daryl and Jata are pen pals, because Daryl celebrates Kwanzaa and they celebrate it in Africa too, so maybe Daryl got the Idea from Jata. That means maybe Daryl will have a role in this Arc
What Kwaanza really is could be best summed up to taking the tribal traditions of five or so tribes, package it up like Christmas, and sell it to the African descent at a overgenerous mark up.

Mod Edit: Sorry, there's no need to get into racial discussion here.
Remember while you tell of the injustice done to you, our ancestors seen worse. Draw on the strength they showed when then overcame theirs. And never be ashamed of a scar, it's proof you were stronger than that which sought to kill you.
Skaikat

Post by Skaikat »

Seems like I'm one of the few (or only) one that doesn't like this guy. Everything about him screams cocky sleaze >.> -Especially- that face in the last panel.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Nohbody wrote:
Silly Zealot wrote:
And how do you know?
Because it's a holiday created by someone in the US who mashed together various African beliefs?
But what if it went full circle and was introduced into isolated african neighbourghoods who had lost most of it's cultural legacy after generations of European expansionism into the African continent..... in the Housepets! world, that is.
Skaikat wrote:Seems like I'm one of the few (or only) one that doesn't like this guy. Everything about him screams cocky sleaze >.> -Especially- that face in the last panel.
Princes ARE infamous for being smug. Give him the benefit of the doubt until he actually says something.

Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Silly Zealot wrote:Princes ARE infamous for being smug. Give him the benefit of the doubt until he actually says something.
First thing he says: "I already have a girlfriend."

Hopes, crushed.
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

WhoElseButQuagmire wrote:
Render wrote:Sniffing Peanut is awesome enough for me.
WEBQ sniffsniffsniffs Peanut. "Interesting aroma....but I'm not sure awesome is the word I'd use to discribe it..."
:lol:
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Nohbody

Post by Nohbody »

Silly Zealot wrote:
Nohbody wrote:Because [Kwanzaa is] a holiday created by someone in the US who mashed together various African beliefs?
But what if it went full circle and was introduced into isolated african neighbourghoods who had lost most of it's cultural legacy after generations of European expansionism into the African continent..... in the Housepets! world, that is.
Even if I was more awake than I am now (that is, not very), I can't imagine anything less productive than throwing out random theories based on wild uninformed speculations and pre-existing notions that may not be supported by facts. :P