2013/08/23 - The One You're With

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
trekkie

Re: 2013/08/23 - The One You're With

Post by trekkie »

Dissension wrote:
trekkie wrote:I always thought Max had inner pain, a lot of sarcastic and/or egotistical people, cover their inner sadness, so that no one knows how hurt they really are. Poor Maxie, I want to hug him.
Do ya wanna hug Bino, too? 'Cause he's basically the same. Ah, brothers. <3
I do. He is brothers with Fido, who is the most popular dog in the neighborhood, and flunked police dog training so he probably feels inferior to Fido(he might never admit it, but I think he does) and covers up his insecurity by picking on characters, like Peanut and King, I know being dumped by Sasha hurt him, especially considering he was finally putting some real effort into the relationship. He, like Max, covers his insecurity and pain with bravado. In a way i can relate to Bino, my brother was a super achiever and extremely popular, everybody knew me as his brother, and I could never measure up to him, and in a way Bino probably feels like this too. So yeah i do want to hug Bino.
“Freedom has cost too much blood and agony to be relinquished at the cheap price of rhetoric.” - Thomas Sowell

“The only time I ever enjoyed ironing was the day I accidentally got gin in the steam iron.” Phyllis Diller
GeckoZY
Location: 16 Dimensions, 13th Hyperplane No. 47.54,3674.06,6378.13; Randomly travelling in between Hyperplanes

Post by GeckoZY »

Then Morgan Freeman appears in the white room out of nowhere... :lol:
Want to split a pineapple?
Collaborative Fan-Fiction:
El Psy Congroo
Argent

Post by Argent »

GeckoZY wrote:Then Morgan Freeman appears in the white room out of nowhere... :lol:
Not Laurence Fishburne?
Cinnamon "Sixtoes" Walton (M Pine Marten #B06060) @
Pitchpipe (F Jackrabbit #808060) @
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Perhaps just a talking beam of light?
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
Dexy

Post by Dexy »

Aww, poor Maxie... :'(

Another awesome strip by Rick though, this has been a very good arc, keep up the great work, mate!

...seriously though, I wish I could hug poor, seemingly now non-existent Max...
JohnWillow

Post by JohnWillow »

Has anyone else noticed the majority of the arcs this year, in fact since the new art style came into being have had something to do with the ups and downs of love. King proposing, the unplanned wolf cubs, Spo getting shot down, Fox getting Bino'd, the wedding and now Dragon's hissy.
Spike - "Seriously, a talking Dog is the weird thing about all this"

Me - "Not at all, the fact that you're a dog and not a lizard is much weirder"
Azsassin

Post by Azsassin »

...Wow...that's..kinda deep max... But the ending was good :)
Never join something you can't quit. Join something you will stay in.
~Kevin Fan~
matthew Wolf

Post by matthew Wolf »

i wonder if max knows that grape also likes peanut but after this grape probably will go to max and grapenut shall die also wow he got tellaported to nothingess
you laugh at me because i,m different i laugh at you because your the same
Cashuea

Post by Cashuea »

Wow..Very deep for Max. I hope the dragon did not poof him from existence.
Roarin

Post by Roarin »

Is it just me, or does Max have the same relationship problems as Church from Red vs. Blue?
"Sleep is due to me... And I have a dream to live."

Book Log: I, Claudius - Robert Graves
Ref Ref!
PURRfect93

Post by PURRfect93 »

I feel for max.

Although the last panel is lost to me.

-sidenote- im back from forgeting about the forum ^//^"
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

PURRfect93 wrote:-sidenote- im back from forgeting about the forum ^//^"
Welcome back PURRfect! :)
Gren

Post by Gren »

On second thought I think Rick is just trolling at us and this arc will have a normal ending and nothing is gonna change.

However I expect Grape to be fully honest with Max for once and for all. She must tell him that she appreciates all what he does but that's not what she is looking in a boyfriend. Tell him that if he want to go ahead with the relationship then he should stop being so selfish and stubborn and begin to listen to her. After all, she's not the kind of female who likes to be told to do. She is a bit dominant and everyone know that.
And about Peanut and Tarot, I think Peanut should apologize with Tarot for never listen to her nor take anything seriously. And Tarot should apologize with him because she must have seen this coming and should have done this from the begining instead. It seems as if none of them are taking their relationship seriously at all. By the way, I am the only one who think she should explain to him if there is something between her and Karishad? Because it seems as if they were hanging out a lot (none to mention that the ending of King's wedding was a bit suspicious).

Now I wonder what surprise Rick have for us tomorrow? Maybe an early comic? I'm guessing is a prose about Maxwell's past.
ImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Gren wrote:Now I wonder what surprise Rick have for us tomorrow? Maybe an early comic? I'm guessing is a prose about Maxwell's past.
Is it tomorrow? I thought it was next Saturday!
Gren

Post by Gren »

Saturn381 wrote:
Gren wrote:Now I wonder what surprise Rick have for us tomorrow? Maybe an early comic? I'm guessing is a prose about Maxwell's past.
Tomorrow is "next Saturday". It was posted on August 17th.
ImageImage
Saturn381

Post by Saturn381 »

Gren wrote:
Saturn381 wrote:
Tomorrow is "next Saturday". It was posted on August 17th.
Oh okay! Thank you Gren!
Duster

Post by Duster »

Roarin wrote:Is it just me, or does Max have the same relationship problems as Church from Red vs. Blue?
I'm not sure if Rick has ever watched RvB? However, it's not unusual for characters to share similar characteristics.
Extraordinary things happen to Extraordinary people!
also . . .
I'm the Best in the West!
valerio

Post by valerio »

Gren wrote:Tomorrow is "next Saturday". It was posted on August 17th.
Really? Because the archive doesn't show anything there. Plus, having Hukley and I translated all the strips, there is nothing.
Unless Rick meant the 'another bit of fanart' posts... :?
Link?
Gren

Post by Gren »

valerio wrote:
Gren wrote:Tomorrow is "next Saturday". It was posted on August 17th.
Really? Because the archive doesn't show anything there. Plus, having Hukley and I translated all the strips, there is nothing.
Unless Rick meant the 'another bit of fanart' posts... :?
Link?
I was talking about what he said on facebook
ImageImage
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
Spens

Post by Spens »

PURRfect93 wrote: -sidenote- im back from forgeting about the forum ^//^"
I know that feel, bro.
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

Saturday will be the sneak world premere of the Live Action movie "Housepets! : There Will Be Dragons" starring Daniel Day Lewis as Peanut, Meyrl Streep as Grape, Dan Ackroyd as Max, Jim Carrey as Karishad, Ben Aflack as Joel and Matt Damon as King. Featuring Tim Allen and Patricia Richardson as Earl and Jill Sandwich, and Tom Hanks as Rusty. Special Guest stars Bill Murray as Pete and Mike Myers as GK.
Last edited by GarrisonSkunk on Sat Aug 24, 2013 2:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
RandomGeekNamedBrent
laughing maniacally

Post by RandomGeekNamedBrent »

the event already occured. sadly, that wasn't it =P
Paradigm Shift by me
I do not actually believe any of what I'm saying.
RP character sheets
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Argent wrote:
Sinder wrote:and now the strip becomes Duck Amuck
You win the Internet forever.
You two made me just search for 'Duck Amuck'. It's very funny and kindy matches. Thanks!
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage
Argent

Post by Argent »

Don't forget "Rabbit Rampage".
Welsh Halfwit

Post by Welsh Halfwit »

Render wrote:
Argent wrote:
Sinder wrote:and now the strip becomes Duck Amuck
You win the Internet forever.
You two made me just search for 'Duck Amuck'. It's very funny and kindy matches. Thanks!
Did you know 'Duck Amuck' has a sequel? It's called 'Rabbit Rampage'. I found it here but it'll probably be elsewhere too.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82300538/

See? Argent knew. But Argent knows all.
Commander Hawle. U.S.C. Loper. By the talented DDeer.
Kilo - 2-8-3-9-10-2-5
Kilo
Leslie – 4-6-4-5-6-9-7
Leslie
David Campbell - 7 – 8 – 9 – 5 – 4 – 4 – 6
Corp Davidstow 6 - 6 - 7 - 3 - 6 - 6 - 5 (reactions 7 Combat 9)
Nohbody

Post by Nohbody »

GeckoZY wrote:Then Morgan Freeman appears in the white room out of nowhere... :lol:
Maybe it's just that I'm somewhat old-fashioned, but the first person that comes to mind when God is mentioned, after the traditional Christian rendition (big beard, long flowing robes, lotsa glowy stuff, etc), is George Burns from the "Oh, God" movie series.
Argent

Post by Argent »

So long as it's not Peter Cook.

OK, now I am totally hearing Max voiced by Dudley Moore.
TheOne
Location: Trapped in the center of the Galaxy. Need a starship to get out!

Post by TheOne »

Nohbody wrote:
Maybe it's just that I'm somewhat old-fashioned, but the first person that comes to mind when God is mentioned, after the traditional Christian rendition (big beard, long flowing robes, lotsa glowy stuff, etc), is George Burns from the "Oh, God" movie series.
Besides the various cartoon versions of Christ, I typically think of the floating head from Star Trek. His name? Read "The Q Continuim" TNG trilogy.
Dag nabbed petty annoyances...
PURRfect93

Post by PURRfect93 »

So far the onlu name ive recognized so far is morgan freeman >\\>

Well, grape penut and the others of course XD
Argent

Post by Argent »

Laurence Fishburne was Morpheus in The Matrix.

Peter Cook was the devil in Bedazzled. Dudley Moore was the Faust character.
gekodragon

Post by gekodragon »

poor max he have gone throug a lot, also i have a bad feeling about this...
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

Nohbody wrote:

George Burns is my first thought as an actor playing God, too. He is one of my favorite old-timey actors and I even forgive him for what he did to Paul McCartney's "Fixing a Hole". However, I agree with a lot of the reviewers I've read of the third film in the trilogy - "Oh God, You Devil!" - he looks like he's having a lot more fun playing the part of the Devil then he does God :)

Anyway...to get this back to Housepets! related stuff.... is the 'Outer Limits' ending better than the 'IWJAD....OWI?' ending? (Not that I think this arc is ending now in ether case.)
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

Hmm...I have a mixed opinion about this one. One the one hand, I like what Max is saying, I like how the whole meet-up went down, and I like Dragon just kinda looking puzzled and upset; I get a sort of spoiled baby vibe from her that quite frankly would make sense, because she is a demigod and she does have incredible power. Max is right on some level: how can she profess to feel pain the way they have? But what Max fails to realize is that pain is a very relative thing; a person who has had everything given to them on a silver platter would feel as much pain in losing something as trivial as, say, a PlayStation 3 as a person who had led a harder life would if they, say, just lost their best friend. For those of us who have moved beyond that trivial stage, it's just that: trivial. We look at Dragon and sympathize with Max: how could somebody ever profess to know real pain if they've never experienced real loss. But we often forget that until we have experienced a pain of that sort, everything else is tragic. How many of us were in a scuffle as kids, or were talked to sternly, and felt indescribably hurt? Then, when we got into a real fight later in life, or were yelled at by somebody for incompetence, that other pain suddenly seemed unimportant. It's all relative to experience, and as Max points out, Dragon doesn't have the experience to know about 'real' pain. However, this makes it no less traumatizing for Dragon, and having somebody yell at her because of it and profess emotional arrogance makes it all the more painful. When you are hurt, you don't want to hear people tell you that you're crying over nothing, trivializing your pain; you want support and comfort, you want somebody to help you through it, not shout at you and tell you that your pain is insignificant and meaningless compared to theirs.

That encompasses my mixed feelings on this, I suppose: I sympathize with them both because I still remember what it was like to experience what I now look at as trivial pain, and I remember how devastating it felt. My feelings are not mixed regarding my approval of this strip, for the most part I love it, I just think it's dealing with some very heavy stuff that the younger audiences of Housepets! could most definitely benefit from.

My only actual issue with this strip is the last panel. For once, I'm not sure that the joke added anything to this strip. In fact, I think the joke at the end took away from it, lightened the mood on a subject in a way that clashes with the subject matter of this particular strip. Having a (relatively) pop-culture joke where none was needed, perhaps where a simple exasperated sigh would have sufficed, seemed to me to minimalize a lot of the power that came from Max's speech. I'm aware this is semi-nit-picking. The rest of the comic is great, Max's little speech was heartfelt and well-phrased, I loved Peanut's rushed rambling explanation, and of course I love the art. Everything else is spectacular, down to the expression on Dragon's face while being spoken to so brashly by a mortal. It was just the joke that I took issue with; it didn't kill it for me, but it didn't sell it either, something that Rick has always done spectacularly.

Still love your stuff Rick!
GarrisonSkunk

Post by GarrisonSkunk »

Hera Ledro wrote:My only actual issue with this strip is the last panel. For once, I'm not sure that the joke added anything to this strip. In fact, I think the joke at the end took away from it, lightened the mood on a subject in a way that clashes with the subject matter of this particular strip. Having a (relatively) pop-culture joke where none was needed, perhaps where a simple exasperated sigh would have sufficed, seemed to me to minimalize a lot of the power that came from Max's speech. I'm aware this is semi-nit-picking. The rest of the comic is great, Max's little speech was heartfelt and well-phrased, I loved Peanut's rushed rambling explanation, and of course I love the art. Everything else is spectacular, down to the expression on Dragon's face while being spoken to so brashly by a mortal. It was just the joke that I took issue with; it didn't kill it for me, but it didn't sell it either, something that Rick has always done spectacularly.

I didn't see it so much as a joke, a meta reference or as someone else said, Max breaking the fourth wall...I thought it was just him describing his predicament in terms he could relate to himself. It'll be cool if this is what subjective time looks like and next strip he looks over and sees Dragon there with him, possibly scaled (no pun intended) down a bit more as Pete is when he talks with King.
Hera Ledro

Post by Hera Ledro »

GarrisonSkunk wrote:
Hera Ledro wrote:My only actual issue with this strip is the last panel. For once, I'm not sure that the joke added anything to this strip. In fact, I think the joke at the end took away from it, lightened the mood on a subject in a way that clashes with the subject matter of this particular strip. Having a (relatively) pop-culture joke where none was needed, perhaps where a simple exasperated sigh would have sufficed, seemed to me to minimalize a lot of the power that came from Max's speech. I'm aware this is semi-nit-picking. The rest of the comic is great, Max's little speech was heartfelt and well-phrased, I loved Peanut's rushed rambling explanation, and of course I love the art. Everything else is spectacular, down to the expression on Dragon's face while being spoken to so brashly by a mortal. It was just the joke that I took issue with; it didn't kill it for me, but it didn't sell it either, something that Rick has always done spectacularly.

I didn't see it so much as a joke, a meta reference or as someone else said, Max breaking the fourth wall...I thought it was just him describing his predicament in terms he could relate to himself. It'll be cool if this is what subjective time looks like and next strip he looks over and sees Dragon there with him, possibly scaled (no pun intended) down a bit more as Pete is when he talks with King.
Perhaps joke is an ill-chosen catch-all, and one-liner would have been more appropriate. It just rubbed me the wrong way is all, and I'm more than willing to accept that it's a personal thing. Housepets! operates on the Rule of Funny for the most part, and I have always liked it, I just personally found that this instance triggered some alarms, that it didn't quite line up with the strip itself. Again, it's just a personal thing.
Morris

Post by Morris »

Wow... dramatic much?
Nohbody

Post by Nohbody »

GarrisonSkunk wrote: Maybe it's just that I'm somewhat old-fashioned, but the first person that comes to mind when God is mentioned, after the traditional Christian rendition (big beard, long flowing robes, lotsa glowy stuff, etc), is George Burns from the "Oh, God" movie series.
George Burns is my first thought as an actor playing God, too. He is one of my favorite old-timey actors and I even forgive him for what he did to Paul McCartney's "Fixing a Hole". However, I agree with a lot of the reviewers I've read of the third film in the trilogy - "Oh God, You Devil!" - he looks like he's having a lot more fun playing the part of the Devil then he does God :)[/quote]

Of course he did. Evil is cool :twisted:
Anyway...to get this back to Housepets! related stuff.... is the 'Outer Limits' ending better than the 'IWJAD....OWI?' ending? (Not that I think this arc is ending now in ether case.)
Since the Friday strip most likely isn't the ending, I think the appropriate answer is "mu". :P

(I can't believe I somehow typed "enemy" in place of "ending"...)
Last edited by Nohbody on Sun Aug 25, 2013 6:38 am, edited 1 time in total.
andyyee

Post by andyyee »

Max is definitely becoming easier to relate to. Do I see a Max - Spirit Dragon relationship/friendship coming on? It happened in Valerio's ficcie :)
Render
Wanna play a game?

Post by Render »

Argent wrote:Don't forget "Rabbit Rampage".
Welsh Halfwit wrote:Did you know 'Duck Amuck' has a sequel? It's called 'Rabbit Rampage'. I found it here but it'll probably be elsewhere too.
http://www.ebaumsworld.com/video/watch/82300538/

See? Argent knew. But Argent knows all.
Thanks you two.
ImageIf life gives you lemons, ask for salt and tequila.

Image Image
ImageImageImage