Old Comic Discussion: "Imaginate" to "Imaginate, too!"

For old comic discussions threads! seriously what did you think
Slippery-Q

Re: current comic

Post by Slippery-Q »

I find it funny that animals think it's odd to shake hands, but they'll still hug. :>
Thoth

Post by Thoth »

Well, the Wolves aren't exactly "civilized" in their standards.
But over-analyzing things is half the fun!

Character Dossiers
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

I think he's talking about King and Fox, not (only) the wolves. But I think that hugging and shaking hands is different, since the second one is rather a part of human etiquette (which they find weird), while the first one rather an emotional act (and thus common for (almost) all beings, who have emotions and an ability to express them).
hug_overflow.asm wrote: LOOP: HUG #Peanut, #Grape
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Buckdida
Juicy Wolf-Cat

Post by Buckdida »

It's too bad that we won't get to see what Fox did to Bino, since that would probably break rating. :lol:

And the alt-text? I think that should not only be drawn, but also turned into a wallpaper! That could definitely be a wallpaper!
Retired RP Character List (Sorry guys)
Richardson Valley: Venison and Ochen
Brookshire Meadows: Trinket
Oasis Towers: Jaxeh and Klack
machchunk

Post by machchunk »

This strip sort of reminds me of this PvP but maybe I'm stretching.

Also cheekmouth TEEHEE
Teh Brawler wrote: Thoth, every time I read your posts, part of me wants to reply with something, like, "dude, it's a comic, stop analyzing so much". Then I read your sig, and three things pop into my head. 1, "Arrrr, foiled again", 2, "Man, I'm a jerk", and 3, "He is so right."
Well, as much as the comic is humor-based, it also has an overarching story. And you know...people tend to...analyze...stories...

It's not a surprising thing is what I'm saying.
Recardo

Post by Recardo »

I hope that they'll show Bino in the hospital again, i want to see how badly fox hurt him
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Judging from the Fox's face in the last panel of "Your Heart Is Full Of Unwashed Socks", Bino will probably not leave hospital that soon. Also maybe others were involved in Bino's punishment, however I don't think they would go as far as causing him severe injuries, requiring urgent medical attention and whole "being in traction" is just an exaggeration. On the other side, Grape already smashed him with frying pan before and some others had also other punish-tools prepared, like a brick, which caused him being transported into hospital.

Still, I can't possibly imagine they would really broke his bones, because smashed head is just only one temporarily nonfunctional part (head can't be even fully nonfunctional, since that would effectively cause death, because brain controls the rest of the body, smashing it causes him only being unconscious, because the brain hits the skull's interior wall (actually, according to something I read, it must hit two sides of the skull very quickly by going back and forth), but leaves many other parts still operational, but the non-operational part could be considered as a whole part, Fox refers to, so that's one non-operational part, which is actually only part of his brain responsible for consciousness ), so others must be legs or arms (or ribcage?), but breaking bones in them seems to be too violent even for the high level of the Bino's jerkiness.

Also, I think that being mauled or injured does not usually help to stop stupid behavior in these kind of persons, since it actually makes them behave in not very nice manner even more. Actually, I have no idea how it could be even possible to stop aggressive and hateful behavior in some people.
Last edited by Frooxius on Mon Dec 28, 2009 6:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
arcict

Post by arcict »

ah King, first I pity you for the indignities upon you, then I feel the awkwardness as you met Fox... er again, then the rage Bino introduced, you showed compassion with Sasha, but today, today is the first time I think you actually started acting like the rest of the dogs... which is not necessarily a bad thing I think.
Everything I need to know, I learned from webcomics!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

random thought of the day: After seeing this comic's prelude, i got this idea of someone on christmas eve doing a peanut (Comic) moment and dancing on the piano.

Oh, how humorous if a cat did it in this comic. preferabbly Maxwell. He is an alleycat afterall <3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
valerio

Post by valerio »

Recardo wrote:I hope that they'll show Bino in the hospital again, i want to see how badly fox hurt him
ooo, this calls SO much for another of the famous Grape guided tours!
I think that Bino could overexpose Peanut's photo machine with his rage.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

valerio wrote:I think that Bino could overexpose Peanut's photo machine with his rage.
Ha! Another argument for my they-are-all-robots theory, which I introduced a few pages ago! Bino is infected with nanobots, which allow him to emit a lot of rage to overwhelm Peanut's (digital I hope) camera! Although, on what electromagnetic frequency is rage transmitted? It could not be visible light, since it overwhelms only camera, not the Peanut himself. But the only other frequency an usual digital camera can capture is infrared and because there's special filter, which filters lower infrared frequencies, only the higher frequencies can be captured (closer to the red color). However, these frequencies are emitted only by objects with temperature larger than 500 Celsius. Omg, Bino is going to vaporize! :shock: Sure he's a jerk, but I don't think he deserves this. Or perhaps the rage has completely different electromagnetic wavelength and Peanut has a very special, rage-sensitive camera. But still, it would be better if he takes some liquid nitrogen with him, when he tries to make (another) photo of Bino in traction. :)
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

On that note...
Group hug!
I was going to make a joke but then I did.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Ebly wrote:On that note...
Group hug!
*Hugs Ebly* :D
Join in!

No, this isn't off-topic.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Two_Twig

Post by Two_Twig »

Group hug!
Could we.... could we just draw ourselves being hugged and than sort of, mush the papers together?
Hold still ~I'M PAINTING THE WORLD
----
My Devious account...
SIP. When is the next update coming? When you least expect it
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

Two_Twig wrote:
Group hug!
Could we.... could we just draw ourselves being hugged and than sort of, mush the papers together?
I love you
that made me laugh
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

Oh, so very late. But I love it how you live in Alabama, Rick, and yet you draw Housepets with snow in the background like it's in Michigan. We southern people dream of snow like Bowser dreams of Peach

Shut up, it's the best analogy I could come up with
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Thoth

Post by Thoth »

Hm. Since it's hours yet until another strip (and the comments are still something of a mess), looking at the current strip again, it occurs to me that Fox and King have an interesting bit of common ground:

“Hey, Fox, why did you go along with Bino’s crazy schemes for so long?”

“Because I didn’t realize he was insane until well after I joined his group… Why did you go along with PETA for so long?”

“Because I didn’t realize they were insane until… Hey, wait a minute…”

The perils of giving loyalty unwisely there.

Character Dossiers
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

Teh Brawler wrote:Oh, so very late. But I love it how you live in Alabama, Rick, and yet you draw Housepets with snow in the background like it's in Michigan. We southern people dream of snow like Bowser dreams of Peach

Shut up, it's the best analogy I could come up with
Trust me, when you slam into the back of someone's car when the black ice lied about how safe it was to drive, then you will never dream of snow ever again.

And I think that's sorta the main theme of this past arc, that what one thinks something is is usually not what it actually is. Of course, I don't believe Joel wished to be a dog, but becoming one sure as hell shut down all his preconceived notions.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

loudhawaiianshirt wrote:Trust me, when you slam into the back of someone's car when the black ice lied about how safe it was to drive, then you will never dream of snow ever again.
Now, I've been caught out by black ice and thrown face-first into snow drifts before but I still dream of snow!

...but then again I am Australian
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

oh that sucks. the movie that took your country's name really sucked.

then again, I'm from the Jersey Shore, and that TV show does not make it look any bit desirable a place to live.
James while John had had had had had had had had had had had a better effect on the teacher.
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

loudhawaiianshirt wrote:oh that sucks. the movie that took your country's name really sucked.

then again, I'm from the Jersey Shore, and that TV show does not make it look any bit desirable a place to live.
Yeah? Well here, we're portrayed by Walker: Texas Ranger. And yes, Texas is as cool as the show makes it seem. :D
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

Teh Brawler wrote:Yeah? Well here, we're portrayed by Walker: Texas Ranger. And yes, Texas is as cool as the show makes it seem. :D
Your show had Chuck Norris using a jetpack, my show had some ugly chick who went to prom with my friend's roommate's friend get PUNCHED IN THE FACE BY A SCHOOLTEACHER!

Nuff said.
2MKc

Post by 2MKc »

Did Spot made a world record?
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

Those aliens are dead
ImageImage
ImageImage
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

and thus christmas was saved!

violently!
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Teh Brawler

Post by Teh Brawler »

I swear, my willing disbelief switch is going to short out with all this use lately. We're no only dealing with Santa now, but aliens? I'm telling you people, it's going crazy.
*Note: This post is written with an ironic wit.
DOH HO HO WELL THEN
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

fact: santa hates being upstaged.
EchoFireant

Post by EchoFireant »

And Santa apparently likes to be dramatic with the Noooooooooooo......(it goes on and on until peanut ran out of space) XD

Pet Friendly, Marshall : S-7 P-7 E-7 C-4 I-5 A-7 L-5
Pet Friendly, Natalia : S-4 P-7 E-5 C-9 I-7 A-5 L-5
Ebly

Post by Ebly »

loudhawaiianshirt wrote:oh that sucks. the movie that took your country's name really sucked.
Also it was very inaccurate! We are not a state in America near California like the western atmosphere would have you believe!

On a more comic note, Spot not only saves the world, but also Rick's drawing hand which we all know is much more important! So three cheers for Spot!
Alex

Post by Alex »

Spot comic? Noooo! And I wanted to see what happens next :(.
Richarson Valley
Edward S4 P8 E6 C8 I9 A3 L5
Shanks S7 P5 E6 C7 I4 A6 L7

valerio

Post by valerio »

don't worry, Alex: it's just the common reaction to King abstinence. It will pass soon, after the shaking stops, after the mouth stops being so dry, after the butterflies stops storming in your stomach, after that curious dizziness stops....
Kyderra

Post by Kyderra »

well, it made more sense then superman turning back the time.
so by standards Spot is now a better super hero then superman (in my personal opinion)
"Why would you ever want to connect the dots?"
Anthroguy101

Post by Anthroguy101 »

Apologies in advance for triple-posting the comments of today's comic. For some reason, they're not showing up on the bottom, and I didn't notice until I scrolled up.
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

Teh Brawler wrote:..., but aliens? I'm telling you people, it's going crazy.
*Note: This post is written with an ironic wit.
Well, it's Peanut's comic/fiction, while Peanut's fictive character (I'm just saying that to fool some heathens. We all from HP order know that he exists :D ) in Housepets comic, so fiction of fictive character is actually not equal to fiction world where does the fictive author of his fictive fiction (subfiction? fifiction? low-level-fiction? high-level-fiction (depends on the point of view), super-fiction?...) fictively exist. Thus, it can have different genre than it's parent fictive world, because all derived fictive worlds in the base fictive do not (completely) inherit all genre traits from their base fictive world. They may share some common traits, but they may add some different elements, like aliens, which do not exist in the base fictive world, but are perfectly ok in the derived fictive world (subfictive relative to us), since from their viewpoint is it normal (base) fiction, which may contain some fictive elements, non native to their world (fictive world to us), because it's... well fiction (again, heathens).

In short: It's Peanut's comic, so why not allow this doggie draw aliens if he wants to? It's not like aliens in his comic are meaning, that aliens exist in his world too. Well they obviously do, on other distant planets in the universe, but not the green-antenna-flying-saucers ones, kidnapping santa. :)
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
rickgriffin
Site Admin

Post by rickgriffin »

What is with you people? Am I not allowed to ever end a storyline?
I'm sure the cold hand of science will be able to overcome his magical powers
Frooxius

Post by Frooxius »

No when it's such a good one (they're all good actually, so no storyline can ever end). We demand 100 never ending storylines going all at once and adding new ones to this number every week. :D
PUSH ACC
JMP LOOP
Sinder

Post by Sinder »

rickgriffin wrote:What is with you people? Am I not allowed to ever end a storyline?

NO!

"Hemisphere", Ebly...
ImageImage
ImageImage
Hipstar

Post by Hipstar »

rickgriffin wrote:What is with you people? Am I not allowed to ever end a storyline?
of course you can, we just really loved the last arc and we are in mourning of its end. i would take it as a very big compliment that so many readers are sad to see it end :D
Thoth

Post by Thoth »

I fear you're doing too good a job at giving your characters personalities. Not only are your readers missing the characters when they haven't seen them for a bit, but they're reacting to them as if they were personal friends. It's hard to find much stronger positive feedback than that.

They want to know their backgrounds, they want to see them grow and change, and they want to know what happens next - the same hook that every soap opera and professional comic book uses.

I tend to react with character analysis and plot speculation - such as the character dossier thread - which shows, of course, that I am assuming that your attention to detail and character will stand up to that kind of thing. (Besides, in running RPG's, I've often found that having the players compiling lists of details and speculations is helpful; hopefullly the same thing applies in your case). Most of the readers aren't so easily satisfied with pure speculation though.

Personally, I've found that tossing out the occasional random detail, saying "but you forgot (x)", or saying "Close!" or "Way off!" to the various proposed scenarios keeps the players busy with very little work, but that's for RPG's, where the players are much more directly involved. For you it might be a bigger bother than it's worth.

And there I go again, giving long answers to possibly-rhetorical questions.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year by the way.

Character Dossiers
no space
Location: Beyond the Mountains of Madness, in a little place called Home.

Post by no space »

What a beautiful waste-
hangnail whispering, "Let's be lonely together."