Discussion: Video Games

Discuss everything else here

Moderator: ArcWolf

Silly Zealot

Re: Discussion: Video Games

Post by Silly Zealot »

This game's been around since 2009 and I find out about it just now?
Sleet wrote:I've heard great things about SoT. I need to try it.
South Park ain't for children, don'y let the drawings fool you! In fact, I don't think it's even sanity-friendly, and this is coming from me!
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
Dissension

Post by Dissension »

Sleet's been a fan of South Park for a very long time.

people are the only things that matter; take care of yourselves and each other
_Stu_
Banner Artist

Post by _Stu_ »

Stick of Truth is probably one of the best RPGs i've ever played in a while. Almost weird to see that now we have to teach to japanese developers how to build a solid old style JRPG. The fact it's based on South Park makes the situation even more hilarious.

My save says just 12 hours, but probably the best 12 hours i've passed in a RPG since Deus Ex 2. (It's Human Revolution, don't even try to say "DE2 is Invisible War")
My webcomics! Read and subscribe if you like them (or one of them), and don't forget to vote on TopWebComics!

Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Sorry ToS fans, I went and bought Bravely Default. It was a hard decision but I have enough un-beaten PS3 games. I don't need another one. I'll get it eventually.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
Liam

Post by Liam »

Questing my way through Morrowind recently. Still as awesome as ever.
"It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it." - Upton Sinclair
Wanderer wrote:You don't need a job, you need money.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

You made a wise choice, megamaster.
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Gotta get through the Wind temple in Bravely Default.
Games I'm currently playing:The Legend of Heroes: Trails of Cold Steel 2 (PS3) Danganronpa V3 (PS4) Azure Striker Gunvolt (3DS) Pokemon Silver (GB/3DS)
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

Starting FFX HD. Good memories, but the extra audio drama (which leads into a potential FFX-3) kinda reeks of bad fanfiction, imo.

Here's what I got from it that was of note: One year after X-2, two brand new characters (one being the alleged daughter of Auron, the other an out-of-work summoner trainee (now a "licensed sender")) have to journey to Besaid; they are under orders of the council to bring Yuna back to Bevelle to help with a crisis. In the time after X-2, Tidus is the star player of the Aurochs (but is showing signs of "injury"), Lulu is mayor of Besaid, Wakka is the caretaker at the temple, and Yuna is the leader of the "Yevoners," people who still cling to some of Yevon's teachings.

In any case, turns out the souls of the dead have been reappearing at the moonflow, but unlike the farplane, these people have been "beckoned" back to life. On top of that, not long after Yuna witnesses this miracle, another being is called back from the dead...

...Sin. I have to admit that this is awesome, but moving on...

Yuna's first course of action is to go visit Tidus. She confesses she's in love with someone else (implied to be the new boy she's likely only known for a couple of weeks, tops), and dumps Tidus, who is surprisingly accepting of this on the outside, but clearly hurting inside. Lulu tells him to man up and go after Yuna (implying an alterior motive, like her "marriage" to Seymour in the first game), so Tidus sets out with the new girl to get Yuna back before she is killed in her battle with Sin.

Is it just me, or does this plot strike anyone as a tad odd?
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I just got Mario Kart 7 for my birthday today! ^3^
This user is probably dead here. You can find me on Skype by the same username to see if I'm not actually dead.
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Got Tales of Symphonia Chronicles and been playing Tales of Symphonia.
Silly Zealot

Post by Silly Zealot »

Is Tales of Symphonia Chronicles a game where you take on the role of an scholar who is tasked of writing down the events of Tales of Symphonia with as much accuracy as possible?
20th century fox? Given that this is the year 2020, that fox must be dead by now. Sadface! : (

I'm telling you, hyenas ARE canines too!
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

Lucid_Dragon wrote:Starting FFX HD. Good memories, but the extra audio drama (which leads into a potential FFX-3) kinda reeks of bad fanfiction, imo.

Here's what I got from it that was of note: One year after X-2, two brand new characters (one being the alleged daughter of Auron, the other an out-of-work summoner trainee (now a "licensed sender")) have to journey to Besaid; they are under orders of the council to bring Yuna back to Bevelle to help with a crisis. In the time after X-2, Tidus is the star player of the Aurochs (but is showing signs of "injury"), Lulu is mayor of Besaid, Wakka is the caretaker at the temple, and Yuna is the leader of the "Yevoners," people who still cling to some of Yevon's teachings.

In any case, turns out the souls of the dead have been reappearing at the moonflow, but unlike the farplane, these people have been "beckoned" back to life. On top of that, not long after Yuna witnesses this miracle, another being is called back from the dead...

...Sin. I have to admit that this is awesome, but moving on...

Yuna's first course of action is to go visit Tidus. She confesses she's in love with someone else (implied to be the new boy she's likely only known for a couple of weeks, tops), and dumps Tidus, who is surprisingly accepting of this on the outside, but clearly hurting inside. Lulu tells him to man up and go after Yuna (implying an alterior motive, like her "marriage" to Seymour in the first game), so Tidus sets out with the new girl to get Yuna back before she is killed in her battle with Sin.

Is it just me, or does this plot strike anyone as a tad odd?
Please tell me that's not official... :shock:
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

ShadowLightning wrote:Please tell me that's not official... :shock:
I'm afraid it's as official as the original voice actors who came back to record it. :? On top of this, the new boy and girl (whose names are, quite frankly, forgettable as it is) feel like Mary Sues/Gary Stus. As for if Final Fantasy X-3 is currently in the works, I wouldn't hold my breath just yet; if I had to guess, this is testing the waters for if we'd be interested in a new game. Lucasarts did this as well, when they released Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire for N64. As a result of THAT game's success, we were given Episodes 1-3 (which, depending on your opinion of said movies, is either a blessing or a curse).
Kazushige Nojima, Scenario Writer for FFX and FFX-2, wrote:“If demand [for a sequel] is delivered, there could be new developments...I, personally, would like to see a sequel such as Final Fantasy X-3."
Fortunately, it appears they haven't tried to make such an odd sequel for Final Fantasy VI...yet...

On another note, FFX HD is going well. The graphics are very crisp, and though the rearranged music is something you have to get used to, its not too bad. On top of that, I don't have an HD TV, so I kind of have to squint to see the damage numbers, but at least it's not as bad as Dead Rising was in that regard (where I felt like I needed a telescope to read everything Otis "said" to you :roll: )
Last edited by Lucid_Dragon on Sat Mar 22, 2014 2:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Foxstar
BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU

Post by Foxstar »

Currently playing SteamWorld Dig and will likely get started on Infamous:Second Son this weekend.
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

Foxstar wrote:Currently playing SteamWorld Dig and will likely get started on Infamous:Second Son this weekend.
SteamWorld Dig...that game is certainly addictive. I might start that back up while I wait on a certain other digging-tool-wielding hero.

Cannot wait. :D

As for Infamous, never got into those games, though I get the feeling I should give them a try. I loved the Sly games, so if they've got some of those elements, I'm definitely up for giving the game a try.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Shovel Knight? Whats that?
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing some HD Tales of Symphonia: Dawn of the New World
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

MrNeonShot wrote:Shovel Knight? Whats that?
It's a 2-D sidescroller made by Yacht Club Games (whose founder worked on some Wayforward games, like Contra 4, A Boy and his Blob for Wii, and Double Dragon Neon), with some RPG elements splashed in. The gameplay can be best described as a combination of Mega Man and Ducktales, right down to the 8 "Order of No Quarter Given" bosses and using the shovel as a pogo stick, for example.

Between this, Mighty No. 9, Half Genie Hero, and River City Ransom Underground, the indie scene is looking better and better. :)
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing some Dissidia 012
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Mind helping a noob out?

I was again watching some game reviews, and I find that almost everyone chastised several Sonic games that I actually think looked good. Like the one with Sonic being a knight and Sonic Unleashed. Why is that? Is it the controls? The storyline? Or just the fact that they do not resemble the older Sonic games? Granted, I never played any of them, but from the gameplay vids I've seen, I think they're pretty neat games. The same goes for Sonic Riders 2 (I think), the only Sonic game I've ever played asides from Sonic Battle for the GBA.

Applegate Appearance Cheat Sheet

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

I don't know why people hate some Sonic games. I personally like Sonic Unleashed, Sonic '06 (yes I know, shocking), SOnic and the Secret Rings, and Sonic and the Black Knight. And the Sonic Riders series.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

I love Tails!
Kyuunado

Post by Kyuunado »

Zero gravity I could play easily but the air system in the original really annoyed me. Sonic 06 the only real problem I have is the story, considering it never actually happened, the rest of the game is only bad because they were pressed to release early. Secret rings was fine but I recommend against making a super speed sonic that you won't be able to control if you stop playing for a while and are not used to the game anymore.
And Black Knight I just got semi-bored with and stopped playing. I might get back to that one. :lol:
The nine-tailed Kitsune of England.
I am Kyuunado Fureatsurī!
Want to talk? PM me or message at [email protected] and add me on Google+
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Oh yeah, I heard about that. Sonic's saving a girl in Sonic '06 right? Maybe that was what annoyed a lot of Sonic fans out there. Makes me glad I'm not one, at least I can see the games objectively.

Hehe, doesn't beat Sonic R though. I love the 90's British pop music, but that's about it. Oh, and the creepypasta story ;p

Haq Dzi'ab (Blue Peaks Shore) || Mikan Kawabe (Applegate) || Hajime (Apollo City)
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

Sonic R is the only Sonic game I hate. I highly recommend Sonic the Fighters. They made an HD remake for XBLA and put all the scrapped characters back in like Honey the Cat.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

I've played Sonic '06 and I can understand the hate for it...I know I'm kinda repeating what kyuubi said, here, but I'm kinda going into more detail...
It's a glitchy, buggy, incomplete mess of a game...it's basically in the kind of state in which they hire beta testers to play and find bugs for the devs to fix.
Don't even get me started on the whole Sonic + Elise thing...just...no...
Heck, the whole story left a lot to be desired...and it kind of cancels itself out...for any of it to make any sense whatsoever, there would need to be at least one alternate universe where Sonic and co. failed to defeat Solaris and that's the "future" that Silver came from.
They definitely needed to re-think the character design for Silver...who's bonehead idea was it to put forward a design to make it look like he's got a weed leaf on his head?
Urrrgh. Sonic '06 had so much potential, but was marred by lazy developers and a rushed deadline.

I haven't played Sonic Riders...or indeed any of the games where Sonic is racing using a vehicle of some sort...they just don't make a lot of sense to me. Sonic can easily outrun any vehicle without breaking a sweat.

Nor have I played Black Knight...Sonic characters with swords? ...Just...why?

Nor have I played Secret Rings...Iiii...kind of buy the story in that one...but it's not very interesting.

I HAVE played Unleashed. Very good game. Quite well made. Decent story. Definitely not worthy of any hate.

Sonic's had a bit of a bumpy ride through the 3-D world with some games being better than others.
kurowolfe

Post by kurowolfe »

Ah, right. So Sonic 06 was hampered by poor gameplay too. Yeah, that would tick me off too.

Well, the Sonic Rider games are not that great of a racing game per se, but I for one love the idea of hoverboards, even if applied on Sonic. And I didn't get motion sickness seeing him rush around the track so fast like most other Sonic games, especially the older ones.

I'm not defending the other games too, but still, you have to give credit to the Sonic Team for trying out something new every now and again. Innovation cannot be born if the company only caters to the massive older fanbase's wants all the time. And flops will happen, especially with a series as iconic and historic as Sonic. It helps to see everything from an objective POV sometimes.

On that though, I sorta understand the sentiments of the fans, like me and Kingdome Hearts. I love the series, but I stopped following it after the deluge of side stories and prequels to the main games. I find Square Enix was trying too hard to create a massive story, and I got tired of the story after a while.

Mickey the Luxray
Location: Why-Cant-We-Be-Given-Some-Consarned-Snow-Ville, USA

Post by Mickey the Luxray »

Kyuubi Kitsune wrote:Zero gravity I could play easily but the air system in the original really annoyed me. Sonic 06 the only real problem I have is the story, considering it never actually happened, the rest of the game is only bad because they were pressed to release early. Secret rings was fine but I recommend against making a super speed sonic that you won't be able to control if you stop playing for a while and are not used to the game anymore.
And Black Knight I just got semi-bored with and stopped playing. I might get back to that one. :lol:

I don't play much Sonic, but I disliked The Secret Rings. As you said, it was extremely difficult to control him because he was moving so fast all the time. Usually I praise games with a great sense of speed but that game was just ridiculous.
Riders is fun, I never had any problems with the Air system, probably because I play mostly Flight-type characters and so I almost always have air to the brim. I never got to try Black Knight, though, would you recommend it?

On another note, I had this idea for a peripheral-based rhythm game where you get an Ableton Launchpad-esque machine and use that to input the notes and all. The unique factor is, there are no seperate charts for different difficulty levels. Instead, every instrument in the song is charted and placed on seperate "channels," and the difficulty of any given song is entirely defined by what channels you choose at what time.

Thoughts?
If you want my number, it's #804080.
Lucid_Dragon

Post by Lucid_Dragon »

I actually consider myself a longtime Sonic fan. While the classics and advance games are some of the best, in my opinion, some of the modern ones have impressed me as well. Sonic Generations was actually really good, and the 3DS version was even better. Sonic Colors was pretty good, as well. I remember really disliking Shadow the Hedgehog, though, mainly because the game felt broken and unfinished. Sonic and the Secret Rings was okay, though I think some of the gimmicky missions were a bit much.

As for my favorite Sonic game of all time...I know a lot of people might disagree with me, but my favorite is Knuckles Chaotix. Is it different? Yes. Is it bad? Not by any stretch of the imagination. Besides, the game WAS to be called Sonic the Hedgehog 4/Sonic Crackers (yeah, I don't get the "crackers" thing). Still, the game deserves much more exposure than it's gotten.

As for Sonic Boom, I'm a little more optimistic than I was initially. Turns out the developer of the Wii-U version has some people that made the Jak and Daxter games, and the 3DS version is being developed by Sanzaru, who has successfully inherited the Sly Cooper games. As long as the game doesn't end up being a cash-in, I think Sonic could be making a comeback.

On a side note, has anybody else here played Knuckles Chaotix?
Sleet
Bringing Foxy Back

Post by Sleet »

I think the problem with Sonic is that there are so many bad games. It's not that there's no good ones, because there are. Even nowadays. It's because they're far in-between. Not to mention how fantastic Sonic used to be, people hold it to high standards.
Questions? Comments? Concerns? Friendly banter? Feel free to click the "PM" button below!
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Tales of Symphonia. Can't wait till a certain person joins my party.
The Blue Fox

Post by The Blue Fox »

kurowolfe wrote:It's like me and Kingdom Hearts. I love the series, but I stopped following it after the deluge of side stories and prequels to the main games. I find Square Enix was trying too hard to create a massive story, and I got tired of the story after a while.
I have Kingdom Hearts 1 + 2 but so far haven't delved into the myriad of side-stories for the series. I just haven't been in posession of the consoles they were released on. Getting those consoles haven't exactly been a prioroty either...and won't be for some time, I reckon.
hypernovatic

Post by hypernovatic »

The only game I haven't played in the Kingdom Hearts series is Birth by Sleep. I haven't beaten 358/2 Days or Birth by Sleep. But I've played and beaten every other game in the series.
My RP characters
FEAR THE HALLOWEEN BAT
ShadowLightning

Post by ShadowLightning »

So far the only Kingdom Hearts games I've played (and beaten) were Kingdom Hearts I, Re: Chain of Memories and Kingdom Hearts II. I've wanted to play the others but I don't have the consoles for it. Which is annoying cause nearly every other KH game is released in a new platform. And I heard they were gonna do the same thing for Kingdom Hearts III.
Still a big fan of the series though...
Heellooooooooo!! Anyone who wants to talk to me, please do. I get lonely sometimes and I get scared whenever I talk first...
Avatar done by the wonderful kurowolfe!
I also have an FA account now. Sooo... check it out.
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

I've personally played and beaten every Kingdom Hearts game released in America, plus Birth By Sleep Final Mix.
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Kingdom Hearts for me was just a awesome and unexpected enjoyment for me. To play a character that interacts with Disney characters in a RPG setting similar to Secret of Mana was just so nostalgically awesome and heartwarming at the same time. The story is neat because it comes in two nice flavors: Disney rehashes with a deep storyline mixed into it and the main storyline, which Mickey, Donald and Goofy are also involved in. And you can't beat the soundtrack of this game. The soundtrack is one of the best I ever heard of and I never get tired of listening to them as I play each world.

Sonic for me? I can't say much about Sonic since I wasn't a Genesis fan back then. I can honestly say though that Sonic's soundtrack and speed were it's interesting features for me, and it followed all the way up to Sonic and Knuckles. Afterwards, I read some of the TV shows and comics and can say I enjoyed them, but it followed the same routine rehashable plot Archie comics is known for, which bothered me.
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Currently playing Birth By Sleep Final Mix!
GameCobra

Post by GameCobra »

Can't wait for Kingdom Hearts 2.5. I'll then be able to play Birth By Sleep =3
3 words - Liquid Metal Fur
Megamaster

Post by Megamaster »

Playing Tales of Symphonia. Waiting for a certain character to join my party.
MrNeonShot

Post by MrNeonShot »

Billy Hatcher!
Sega's version of Pokemon. One of my favorites, because you have to work to hatch your pets!

But apparently, if you feed an egg a banana, it will grow :0