Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
Anyone else have the Halloween Blues? 

Post Anyone else have the Halloween Blues?
So my family has decided, quite suddenly, that we're not passing out candy this year. They feel there's just no point because we got absolutely no trick or treaters last year and only like 4 or 5 the year before.

It took some convincing to let them more or less make me in charge of the whole candy situation so they wouldn't be bothered by it, but it's surprisingly hitting me kind of hard.

I don't want to be one of those houses that doesn't give out candy because that's only slightly better than the houses that give out toothbrushes and fruit on Halloween. And THOSE people are going straight to Double Hockey Sticks.

But, at the same time, I know they're right. I know we probably aren't going to get any trick or treaters this year so buying candy is just a waste, but I still want to try if only I can say I gave one kid one extra piece of candy.

Still, I can't shake this whole feeling that Halloween is just... dead. Or at the very least dying. Anyone else feeling the Halloween Blues?

Wed Oct 31, 2018 4:46 pm

Post Re: Anyone else have the Halloween Blues?
Yeah, neighborhood trick or treating does seem to be fading away. I've seen other, more supervised activities replace it in recent years. E.g. My little sister went to the "Trunk or Treat" in the church parking lot for several years.

Personally i kind of lost interest in the holiday a while ago, I think the last time I bothered with a costume was back in '03.

I am looking forward to tomorrow when all the candy goes on sale. :D

Check out Lightning Dogs on the Nerdyshow Podcast Network

It's an in-development animated series following a team of Anthro-Dogs trapped in the Wastelands of a ruined Earth.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:31 pm

There were never trick or treaters in any of the neighborhoods where I lived, and one of them was absolutely perfect for it. We wanted that, we had to go to one of those public things, like the churchs' Trunk or Treat deal, but even that has fallen. I remember when I was little, there were plenty of games and those inflatable attactions, like bounce houses or obstacle courses. Even had little contests for cakes and such. I went to one last year with some friends and my older brother, pretty much for the food, and they still had quite the attendance. This year, I learned that they're not doing that anymore. Another church is, though, so it's still alive elsewhere. My brother went to a Halloween party the other day, so it's still a thing in the right areas. He went as Waldo. :lol:

And don't diss the people who give out fruit, I loved that. Toothbrushes...

do they not trust kids to have toothbrushes anymore? :?: Eh, not as weird as pennies, but at least you can buy stuff with that.

Wed Oct 31, 2018 5:50 pm
Profile WWW

Hmmmm. My little suburban neighborhood had a nice turnout. Probably 18-20 kids and four or five dogs to boot. A couple of "cruisers" (drive-bys). The costumes were all home-made, some pretty clever.

However, around the town and the neighborings towns, the lack of Halloween decorations was very disheartening. Except for one family - who does Halloween really big with lots of huge scary infatables, sound tracks, and strobe lights - there was very, very little. What there was, was usually pumpkins (almost none of them carved, either). I won't bore you with any "Back-in-my-day, Sonny" yarns but t'wasn`t always so. The larger towns might have a display or even a parade. When we lived in Pennsylvania in a very German region, Halloween was as big a blow-out as Christmas.

In North Carolina where I used to live, Halloween was a party time - often with churches throwing a festivity to keep the kids under supervision and reassure the parents. The Door-to-door time was strictly limited to 5:00-6:30. We did not have a lot of kids on our street and, eventually, they aged out.

Does make you a little wistful.........

Thu Nov 01, 2018 11:42 am

I had no time or energy for Halloween festivities. I had a midterm and met with a counselor to plan out the rest of my college career. Real life strikes again.

Thu Nov 01, 2018 12:11 pm
laughing maniacally

I worked wearing a dog ears headband (lazy werewolf costume) and then spent today shopping for cheap candy

Fri Nov 02, 2018 1:35 am

Didn't get to do anything because I had class. To make matters even more depressing, NOBODY in my neighborhood gave out candy.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 7:41 pm
Bringing Foxy Back

Trick-or-treating is a great tradition and it's an opportunity for neighbors to interact! I'd hate to see it fade. Though it's going strong in some neighborhoods still.

I always buy candy. Worst case scenario we get no kids (like I did this year) and I just eat all the candy myself. No loss.

Sat Nov 10, 2018 6:25 pm
Profile WWW

My mother just takes candy from work and gives it to me. I think she gave me more this year because I had class.

And of course my professor gets sick on the day AFTER Halloween.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 5:32 am
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]